Start by marking “Disciplines of a Godly Woman” as Want to Read:
Disciplines of a Godly Woman

Disciplines of a Godly Woman

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  530 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Life isn't always easy for women today! In the shuffle of so many responsibilities, it's easy to lose focus on pursuing godliness in every task. That's why a woman must train herself to reflect on
Published November 1st 2001 by Crossway

To ask other readers questions about Disciplines of a Godly Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Disciplines of a Godly Woman

Michele Morin
Feb 22, 2016 Michele Morin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strength Training for Countercultural Women

People and books reserve the right to surprise us, and it’s a real delight when both happen at the same time. I opened the pages of Barbara Hughes’s book expecting the equivalent of a heart-to-heart over a mug of steaming tea, an open Bible and a warm sharing of practices that have held us close to God throughout full and following lives. This I found, indeed, but behind the words of Disciplines of a Godly Woman beats the fiery heart of an apologist, a
Apr 19, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disciplines of a Godly Woman is one of the best books I've read thus far regarding biblical womanhood and its scriptural tenets. In a time where we're beset with innuendo and rhetoric esteeming an "every woman" mentality that the Lord did not mandate, it's refreshing to encounter the correct approach demonstrated within a humble grace laden wrapper. The author's words are imbued with a sensible calm that is unmistakable for its respect for her readers and their respective seasons along with her ...more
Magdalene Lim
Feb 02, 2014 Magdalene Lim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
The word "Discipline" stood out to me as I like to try to improve my lack of it. Never mind that the title reads "Disciplines of a Godly Woman" and is not exactly one that teaches you how to be a more disciplined Christian woman. So not only am I ill-disciplined, I am careless. Haha, but thankfully, this book did not disappoint.

It is chock-full of questions to ponder and actionable steps to take, making it something you can't exactly breeze through. Many bible verses pepper the book and I espec
Jessica
Mar 29, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Spiritual disciplines are often thought of as items to check off a list or actions drenched in legalism. However, from the very beginning of Disciplines of a Godly Woman, Hughes’ words were drenched in grace. She emphasizes the importance of understanding the gospel first before integrating disciplines into daily life. She writes, “The gospel is about what God has done, not anything I can do.”

As she walks through each discipline, Hughes writes balancing biblical truth and engaging stories. She a
Ruth
Read with a view toward including this book in a systematic discipleship program. The jury's still out (since I'm still working through a few other options) but I'm considering favorably. In the past, I haven't always been a fan of spiritual growth books geared solely toward women (since some lack substance), but this one has some heft. Hughes expresses herself well, stays on point, and drives readers into the Word for themselves at the end of each chapter.
Kindra
Aug 30, 2011 Kindra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably won't recommend it to anyone, and probably won't remember a whole lot of what I read. It was interesting, and certainly had some good points-but overall was full of things I've already heard in ways I've already heard them. Some cool thoughts on nurturing and how that's involved with womanhood.....that's likely the only thing I was really struck by. While all of her points were fairly good, and the way the book was set up and written is very user friendly and easy to read, if you've bee ...more
Tim
Jan 17, 2014 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the counterpart to Disciplines of a Godly Man by R. Kent Hughes. Disciplines of a Godly Woman teaches women how to become a more godly woman by applying biblical principles/disciplines. There are many books out there on what it means to be a Christian woman, but this book never compromises biblical truth or twists Scripture to get to prove Hughes's point. Even though the content of the book is more of a biblical exposition or theology on the various disciplines, the book has so many prac ...more
Suzanne
This book has great principles over all. But I found that it is a little dated, the authors experiences are from a different generation. I know it is meant to be counter cultural of which I agree, but some the comments of this is how society is, are not accurate to me. I also had to dig deep sometimes to understand the theme of the chapter (was doing this for a women's bible /book study so taught some of the chapters). Definitely agree these are disciplines for women to strive for and she gives ...more
Mona Randall
Nov 21, 2015 Mona Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This book is an excellent starting place to begin to live the life of a godly woman. The details read and the contemplation to follow will give some clarity in the direction to go. I recommend to anyone, especially anyone struggling to move forward in their Christian journey.
Carisa
Jun 29, 2012 Carisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading is part of my disciplined life so I remain in a thought process at all times in the Spirit and in all things I do this book seemed to keep me there thinking and wanting to keep reading it was more of a conversation with Hughes I would often stop and discuss issues or topics in the book with my husband a preacher and my christian friends as I felt the need to be in the conversation with Hughes on the issues she discussed, while of course it is simply her point of view on many issues ...more
Rhonda Tinkham
It's not untruth, but it didn't speak to my heart much. It also seemed to be somewhat disconnected in thought. Although God may speak powerfully through this to another woman.
Gigimandy
Apr 24, 2014 Gigimandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read. I used this as a basis for devotionals for our women's minsitry over a span of two years! Good stuff!
junia
"But I've found that while a spontaneous personality may cause me to adopt a more flexible schedule, ***spontaneity isn't an excuse for me to ignore the importance of discipine.*** And discipline is important for my spiritual life. In fact, it is the path by which the good news of Christ gives meaningful shape to all the days of my life.

Maybe discipline seems like a hard word to you now -- one full of challenge and perhaps of duty. But be prepared to discover that discipline is your lifeline, so
Lisa Bittle
May 02, 2016 Lisa Bittle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Highly recommend. As soon as I read it, I loaned my copy to a friend to read.

If you are looking to grow closer in your walk with Christ Jesus, biblically handling the word of God, then go ahead and read away. The author biblically handles the Word of God, and draws the reader into a closer look at God's word.
Richelle Wright
Thought provoking and challenging.
Debbie
Mar 04, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I was listening to this on audiobook I spent much of the time feeling highly motivated and spurred on... and part of the time feeling ashamed and unworthy! It is a thoroughly Biblical book and I'd recommend it to any Christian woman, regardless of your age, life situation, or where you're at in your spiritual journey. I particularly loved what she had to say about singleness - it is not something to be avoided at all costs, it is not something to be fixed, it is a gift from God with significa ...more
Apryl
Jan 07, 2015 Apryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my Favorites!!
Anoma
Mar 25, 2014 Anoma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good to read.
Eunice
Mar 25, 2015 Eunice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must have on every girl's shelf. I didn't always like reading it, but a good book is one that you pick up to read and put down to pray. This was one such book.

It's easy to read, but it isn't easy reading. The topics on giving and witness particularly stood out to me as Christian Disciplines to cultivate.

It's a good resource, and one for keeps.

Categories:

Discipline for the Soul
Character
Relationships
Ministry
Grace
Resources
Heather
The best thing about this book is that it is intensely practical. Hughes covers the main areas of discipline that should be found in a woman's life and offers a variety of very real examples that were feasible to actually live out. This woman knows the daily grind of life in being a mother, worker, student, and wife, and it comes through in her writing.
Tina
Sep 18, 2008 Tina rated it liked it
I have a hard time saying I "really like it" or that it was "Amazing", when I wanted to throw it across the room several times. Time & time again, I slammed it shut - only to open it back up & finish reading it. I say I liked this book because it was a challenge, and just like a challenging physical workout, I always feel better when it's over.
Amanda Strnad
Great book filled with action steps for developing disciplines! Love how often she clarifies the difference between legalism and discipline. Very practical not just conceptual discussion of disciplines. I also really enjoyed the resources in the back: particularly "Domestic Gospel Women," and the list of suggested hymns for devotions.
Rebekah Disch
Mar 25, 2014 Rebekah Disch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical, extremely encouraging and challenging, soaked with grace and scripture throughout the entire book. Left me with renewed motivation and desire to simply love Jesus more and to "practice godliness" because it pleases him and makes him look great. Highly recommend.
Tara Gelston
Apr 26, 2009 Tara Gelston rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian women
Hannah and I are reading this together. Hughes goes through the disciplines of the mind, of worship, of contentment and many other important topics. She ends each chapter with thought provoking questions and has a helpful appendix of hymns, Bible readings and articles.
Feb 05, 2014 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Really enjoyed the first half, but questioned some of her reasoning in the second half. The resources in the back of the book were helpful including a recommended reading list, a calendar of daily scripture readings, hymns and Psalms for devotional reading.
Erin Schmidlkofer
This book is an awesome book that shows disciplines we all should desire as women. Discipline turns to desire. Desire turns to delight. I love being challenged. This book shows me who God says I am not who the world thinks I need to be. Very recommended!!
Victoria
Aug 18, 2012 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book covers many areas of Christian life that are commonly discussed, but viewing them in light of Hughes' definition of "discipline" made me completely re-think how I approached them. This is an excellent book, both challenging and practical.
Bethany
Jul 31, 2015 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, 2015-read
This is the second time reading this book, this time as a married woman. I think it is a great primer into Christian living topics, aimed at women in all stages of life, and look forward to rereading it later on Lord willing as a mother!
Sep 03, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-faith
Good overview of grace-empowered disciplines of the Christian life without being too general or too legalistic. Very readable! It would be a good book to use in mentoring another woman. Or for a Christian women's book discussion.
Claire H
Oct 13, 2011 Claire H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
I wasn't particularly stirred by the first two chapters, but the deeper I got into this the better I found it. Immensely practical, helpful and readable. Loved it and would recommend it to anyone.
  • Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood
  • Idols of the Heart: Learning to Long for God Alone
  • Becoming God's True Woman
  • A Woman's Walk with God: Growing in the Fruit of the Spirit
  • Becoming a Titus 2 Woman
  • Radical Womanhood: Feminine Faith in a Feminist World
  • Disciplines of a Godly Family
  • The Shaping of a Christian Family
  • True Woman 101: Divine Design: An Eight-Week Study on Biblical Womanhood (True Woman)
  • Unpacking Forgiveness: Biblical Answers for Complex Questions and Deep Wounds
  • A Life That Says Welcome: Simple Ways to Open Your Heart & Home to Others
  • Her Hand in Marriage
  • Loving God with All Your Mind: Thinking as a Christian in a Postmodern World

wife of R. Kent Hughes
More about Barbara Hughes...

“Let it be the one business of my life to glorify Thee by every word of my tongue, by every work of my hand, by professing Thy truth, and by engaging all men, so far as in me lies, to glorify and love Thee.” 1 likes
“To keep under, that is to submit. The Soul can submit to God at the time when it can send itself under the power and authority and dominion that God has over it.” 0 likes