Start by marking “Fire in the Soul: A New Psychology of Spiritual optimism” as Want to Read:
Fire in the Soul: A New Psychology of Spiritual optimism

Fire in the Soul: A New Psychology of Spiritual optimism

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The author of the New York Times bestseller Minding the Body, Mending the Mind reveals the power of spiritual optimism: a philosophy that sees life crises as opportunities for personal growth and spiritual transformation.
Published July 1st 1994 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Fire in the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire in the Soul

Ellie
Fire in the Soul: A New Psychology of Spiritual optimism by Joan Borysenko is kind of a New Age-y self-help spiritual book with more self-help/New Age lingo than spiritual insights. But definitely a "feel good" book for me, and a very fast read. Like a nice chat with a good friend. It didn't "change my life" but it felt like a support in remembering ways to live well.
Shawn
Nov 14, 2007 Shawn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Family and friends
Get cheered up reading the wisdom of the ancients, including popular wits like Jesus, Buddha, Rumi, and Mohammed. First place I read Rumi's stunning stanza:

The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you
Don't go back to sleep
You must ask for what you really want
Don't go back to sleep
People are walking back and forth
Across the doorsill
Where the two worlds meet
The door is round and open
Don't go back to sleep.

Kinda gives you chills, don't it? Fourteen years later, I remember it--put it that way.
Shawn
Crystal
There was a lot of good info in this book, some of which will be helpful for clients. However, overall I felt this book was not very cohesive, and bounced around a lot, which made it difficult to stay involved.
Mark
Jul 04, 2010 Mark rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mark by: me
A bit too new-agey for me. Some good pointers and a reference related to walking mediation. Reasonable though somewhat out-dated reference and bibliography sections.
Ericayo
This book really was life-changing to me. It allowed me to reclaim a sense of spirituality that I had lost. I reread it periodically, and it remains a favorite.
Todd
Sidran gave this to me for my birtdhay. Her presentation is thoughtful and interesting
Lisa
Reading for Three yogi's book club.
Exploring your inner self
Sharon
Sharon is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
Cat_ski
Cat_ski marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Shelia
Shelia marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Lisa Painter
Lisa Painter marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Maura Badji
Maura Badji marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Maria Delgado
Maria Delgado marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Cult
Cult marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Casey Day
Casey Day marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Tabea
Tabea marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Shannon Ehlers
Shannon Ehlers marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Wale
Wale marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Jamien Jacobs
Jamien Jacobs is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2015
  • Sacred Vine of Spirits: Ayahuasca
  • Transformation Soup: Healing for the Splendidly Imperfect
  • Blessings From the Other Side: Wisdom and Comfort from the Afterlife for this Life
  • Wellsprings
  • Hallucinogens and Shamanism
  • The Healing of  America
  • All Women Are Healers: A Comprehensive Guide to Natural Healing
  • Discover the Power Within You
  • The Five Tibetans: Five Dynamic Exercises for Health, Energy, and Personal Power
  • Spirit Song: The Introduction of No-Eyes
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth
  • Our Appointment with Life: Discourse on Living Happily in the Present Moment
  • Killing the Buddha: A Heretic's Bible
  • Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much
  • Your Body Speaks Your Mind: Decoding the Emotional, Psychological, and Spiritual Messages That Underlie Illness
  • After Life
  • Peace, Love and Healing: Bodymind Communication & the Path to Self-Healing: An Exploration
  • Buffalo Woman Comes Singing
This distinguished pioneer in integrative medicine is a world-renowned expert in the mind/body connection.
More about Joan Borysenko...
Minding the Body, Mending the Mind A Woman's Book of Life A Woman's Journey to God Fried: Why You Burn Out and How to Revive Pocketful of Miracles: Prayer, Meditations, and Affirmations to Nurture Your Spirit Every Day of the Year