Start by marking “The Fight” as Want to Read:
The Fight

The Fight

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
There is joy & triumph in the Christian life. But the victory can come through struggle. John White knows this balance and gives us the encouragement to persevere. Here is a guide through the basic areas of Christian living we wrestle with throughout our lives: faith, prayer, temptation, evangelism, guidance, Bible study, fellowship, work. In this very personal book he ...more
Published August 1st 1976 by IVP Books (first published June 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Fight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fight

Peter
Good sound book about discipleship and devotions
Dylan Habegger
Oct 08, 2013 Dylan Habegger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You know...this is one of the best books I've ever read. This man is honest and very introspected. He thinks as an over thinker, but with poise because of his roots in Christ. He acknowledges doubts and encourages to fight through it. Amazing book! Must read!
Israel Tibebu
Oct 23, 2012 Israel Tibebu rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I am Fighting to finish reading this book...not that it's not interesting though...It's a fight for me to read books...but this book tells about the real FIGHT...A great book I must say!!
Malcolm
Aug 04, 2011 Malcolm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could just give one book to everyone seeking to understand what it means to be a committed follower of Jesus Christ...this would be the book.
Mark
Jul 26, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
This book is ideal for new Christians and struggling ones. It lays out clear "how-to" put into practice Christian habits.
Simi
Jul 12, 2012 Simi rated it it was amazing
am citit-o in liceu si e una din cartile care le recitesc adesea. foarte buna.
Jack Bingham
Jun 01, 2016 Jack Bingham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Fight really helped to free me up and remind me of basic, encouraging truths. I think everyone who loves Jesus should take an interest in this book and the way White addresses a broad range of difficult subjects and questions. Just a few:

How do you effectively study the word? What is faith - really? Why is fellowship necessary? How do you 'fight the good fight'? How do you stay real? How does the Holy Spirit guide us - in real, practical terms?

And most importantly of all, what does a life th
Fern
Jan 18, 2015 Fern rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book. A book that is so brilliant that I'm finally posting a written review for the first time. One of those books that I know I will keep coming back to time and time again. John White writes in such an honest, personal, and non-sugar-coated way. Learnt so much from this book... filled with great reminders and also new perspectives on my faith. Found the chapter 'Deliverance from Drudgery' particularly liberating. Completely changed my mindset on what it means to be a student, studyin ...more
Andrew
Apr 01, 2010 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
This book is awesome. John White is really wise and he knows what he is talking about. Each chapter is about a practical topic, so the book never gets boring. It goes over the Word, prayer, fellowship, warfare, evangelism, faith, and sanctification. What I like the most his how passionate White is about the topics. Even if you think you know all the basics, you'll get a lot out of this book.
Francis
Oct 03, 2008 Francis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very practical, without fluffy, trite sayings that don't really "work" in reality. Since White was also a psychiatrist, he is realistic, yet (I think) inspired, about his directives in the Christian life. Challenging, too.
Jim Haw
Aug 13, 2012 Jim Haw rated it it was amazing
Want to develop classic spiritual disciplines in your life? Read this book.
Dec 11, 2010 Sarah rated it did not like it
I'm done being someone I'm not.
Kathy Edgren
Kathy Edgren marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Karen Guill
Karen Guill is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Hope Miller
Hope Miller marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Carolyn Livingston
Carolyn Livingston marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Tien Anh
Tien Anh marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Wayne Carlson
Wayne Carlson rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
carol strawcutter
carol strawcutter rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
James Nixon
James Nixon rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2016
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
May 10, 2016
Andrei
Andrei is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2016
  • The God Who Is There: Finding Your Place in God's Story
  • Jesus with Dirty Feet: A Down-To-Earth Look at Christianity for the Curious Skeptical
  • Baptism and Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today
  • We Become What We Worship: A Biblical Theology of Idolatry
  • True Spirituality: How to Live for Jesus Moment by Moment
  • The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life
  • Encouragement: The Key to Caring
  • Knowing Jesus Through the Old Testament: A Decision-Maker's Guide to Shaping Your Church
  • Something More : In Search of a Deeper Faith
  • Emotions: Can You Trust Them?
  • Habits of the Mind

John White was an Evangelical Christian author, an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Manitoba and a pastor of Church of the Way.
More about John White...

“God's answer to your guilty conscience is the death of his Son. Your answer to a guilty conscience is usually something you do, like confessing harder, praying more, reading your Bible, paying more than your tithe in the offering and so on. These actions are what the writer to the Hebrews calls "dead works," the very things your conscience needs to be cleansed from and the very things that eventually get you wrapped up in the black shadow of your own guilt.” 1 likes
“The Father does not welcome you because you have been trying hard, because you have made a thoroughgoing confession or because you have been making spiritual strides recently. He does not welcome you because you have something you can be proud about. He welcomes you because his Son died for you.” 1 likes