Start by marking “Food Fight : The Citizen's Guide to a Food and Farm Bill” as Want to Read:
Food Fight : The Citizen's Guide to a Food and Farm Bill

Food Fight : The Citizen's Guide to a Food and Farm Bill

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The Farm Bill is perhaps the single most significant land use legislation enacted in the United States, yet many citizens remain unaware of its power and scope. With subsidies ballooning toward $25 billion dollars per year, the Farm Bill largely dictates who grows what crops, on what acreage, and under what conditions—all with major impacts on the country's rural economies ...more
Published March 15th 2007 by University of California Press

To ask other readers questions about Food Fight , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food Fight

Sianna
For a deeper look past the surface issues of the country's food infrastructure shortcomings (like you would find in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver and Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan), this book will help you better understand the wedge issues (conservation, poverty/food insecurity, health care/nutrition) that are all interrelated to the food bill and its impact on the country.

This book is broken up into several short chapters with lots of graphs and side stories relatin
David
Well, this one wasn't it either. I am continuing my quest for a good discussion of the interaction of U.S. food policy and third world poverty. This one hinted at it but was mostly about how the farm bill has evolved from one that was intended to help family farms to one that squeezes out smaller farms in favor of granting hugh subsidies to giant conglomerates. It was interesting and was well presented with lots of color graphics. I am glad I read it because it gives me a background for my study ...more
Joy Weese Moll
Food Fight by Daniel Imhoff is about what we colloquially call the Farm Bill with a special emphasis on being a guide to the 2012 version. In order to do that, though, a lot of background and history is required to understand how we got to the complicated and confusing state of affairs.

More here: Book Review: Food Fight by Daniel Imhoff
Ellee
Jul 26, 2007 Ellee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who eat
The Farm Bill is a much ignored policy document that has it's tenticles in every aspect of our lives. This book reads more like a really long brochure, with lots of useful information. As always, I wish policy books went further when advocating for change...but, the last chapter has some great suggestions, and lots of contacts.
Asta Garmon
Aug 19, 2008 Asta Garmon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who eats
Shelves: food-books
I saw Dan Imhoff speak last night with Dan Barber. It was great but there was a feeling of impending doom because the Farm Bill was voted on that night in the House. This morning, we woke to find that Speaker Polosi sold us short in a number of areas. I still want to read this book though!
Mary Louise
A quick read with plenty of colorful graphs, cheerful Venn Diagrams, and snappy flow charts with Famer and Cow-shaped symbols to help you understand how the "Farm Bill" should be called the "Food Bill." It determines what sort of food we eat and as a result, the health of our nation.
Lily
Has a lot of good info on the farm bill--especially in terms of a comprehensive history. It's written kind of like an annoying reading you would be assigned in high school, though. Not my favorite, but full of things everyone should know more about.
Stephan
This is a pretty good primer on the US Farm Bill.

It's not as in-depth as I'd like though, and the organization can be frustrating. Maybe that's just because the farm bill is disorganized itself though.
Stepho
Aug 09, 2007 Stepho rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Please read this book. Soon. It is an incredible education on what our farm bill is, and the pervasive impact it has on nearly everything we do.
Lara
I would have liked this more if it wasn't so textbooky. Important information, and while brief, I kinda just wanted a checklist or summary.
The most reasonably comprehensive plain-language primer on food and farm policy out there. Not unbiased.. but also not unfair.
meredith
Quasi coffee table format and cumbersome graphics take away from an otherwise interesting and informative book.
Rick
The farm bill is totally screwy. But there are some good parts to it. I learned a lot. You would too.
Toph White
Good book that gives you the breakdown of our food system and legislation.
Deborah Drucker
Indispensable guide to the history and politics of the Farm Bill.
Nicole McCann
extremely relevant. the next farm bill is 2012. time to get to work!
Nov 07, 2011 Sarah marked it as considering
Saw him speak at CFSC 2011.
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2015
Naomi Toftness
Naomi Toftness marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Jamie Balesteri
Jamie Balesteri marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Kody
Kody marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Stephenie
Stephenie marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Peter
Peter is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
  • Holy Cows and Hog Heaven: The Food Buyer's Guide to Farm Friendly Food
  • The Revolution Will Not be Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food Movements
  • Food Fight: The Inside Story of the Food Industry, America's Obesity Crisis, and What We Can Do about It
  • Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty
  • Eat Here: Reclaiming Homegrown Pleasures in a Global Supermarket
  • Fair Food: Growing a Healthy, Sustainable Food System for All
  • Coming Home to Eat: The Pleasures and Politics of Local Foods
  • Depletion and Abundance: Life on the New Home Front
  • Slow Food Revolution: A New Culture for Eating and Living
  • Stolen Harvest: The Hijacking of the Global Food Supply
  • Stuffed And Starved: Markets, Power And The Hidden Battle For The World Food System
  • Just Food: Where Locavores Get It Wrong and How We Can Truly Eat Responsibly
  • Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health
  • Righteous Porkchop: Finding a Life and Good Food Beyond Factory Farms
  • Fields of Plenty: A Farmer's Journey in Search of Real Food and the People Who Grow It
  • Appetite for Change: How the Counterculture Took on the Food Industry
  • Food: The History of Taste
  • Deeply Rooted: Unconventional Farmers in the Age of Agribusiness
The CAFO Reader: The Tragedy of Industrial Animal Factories Paper or Plastic: Searching for Solutions to an Overpackaged World Farming and the Fate of Wild Nature: Essays on Conservation-based Agriculture This Perennial Land: Third Crops, Blue Earth, and the Road to a Restorative Agriculture