Start by marking “Food Fight : The Citizen's Guide to a Food and Farm Bill” as Want to Read:
Food Fight : The Citizen's Guide to a Food and Farm Bill

Food Fight : The Citizen's Guide to a Food and Farm Bill

The Farm Bill is perhaps the single most significant land use legislation enacted in the United States, yet many citizens remain unaware of its power and scope. With subsidies ballooning toward $25 billion dollars per year, the Farm Bill largely dictates who grows what crops, on what acreage, and under what conditions—all with major impacts on the country's rural economies ...more
Published March 15th 2007 by University of California Press

To ask other readers questions about Food Fight , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food Fight

Sianna
Aug 10, 2008 Sianna rated it liked it
For a deeper look past the surface issues of the country's food infrastructure shortcomings (like you would find in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver and Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan), this book will help you better understand the wedge issues (conservation, poverty/food insecurity, health care/nutrition) that are all interrelated to the food bill and its impact on the country.

This book is broken up into several short chapters with lots of graphs and side stories relatin
David
Jun 10, 2010 David rated it really liked it
Well, this one wasn't it either. I am continuing my quest for a good discussion of the interaction of U.S. food policy and third world poverty. This one hinted at it but was mostly about how the farm bill has evolved from one that was intended to help family farms to one that squeezes out smaller farms in favor of granting hugh subsidies to giant conglomerates. It was interesting and was well presented with lots of color graphics. I am glad I read it because it gives me a background for my study ...more
Joy Weese Moll
Food Fight by Daniel Imhoff is about what we colloquially call the Farm Bill with a special emphasis on being a guide to the 2012 version. In order to do that, though, a lot of background and history is required to understand how we got to the complicated and confusing state of affairs.

More here: Book Review: Food Fight by Daniel Imhoff
Ellee
Jul 26, 2007 Ellee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who eat
The Farm Bill is a much ignored policy document that has it's tenticles in every aspect of our lives. This book reads more like a really long brochure, with lots of useful information. As always, I wish policy books went further when advocating for change...but, the last chapter has some great suggestions, and lots of contacts.
Asta Garmon
Aug 19, 2008 Asta Garmon rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who eats
Shelves: food-books
I saw Dan Imhoff speak last night with Dan Barber. It was great but there was a feeling of impending doom because the Farm Bill was voted on that night in the House. This morning, we woke to find that Speaker Polosi sold us short in a number of areas. I still want to read this book though!
Mary Louise
Jun 05, 2008 Mary Louise rated it it was amazing
A quick read with plenty of colorful graphs, cheerful Venn Diagrams, and snappy flow charts with Famer and Cow-shaped symbols to help you understand how the "Farm Bill" should be called the "Food Bill." It determines what sort of food we eat and as a result, the health of our nation.
Lily
Feb 22, 2014 Lily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has a lot of good info on the farm bill--especially in terms of a comprehensive history. It's written kind of like an annoying reading you would be assigned in high school, though. Not my favorite, but full of things everyone should know more about.
Stephan
Mar 02, 2008 Stephan rated it liked it
This is a pretty good primer on the US Farm Bill.

It's not as in-depth as I'd like though, and the organization can be frustrating. Maybe that's just because the farm bill is disorganized itself though.
Stepho
Aug 09, 2007 Stepho rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Please read this book. Soon. It is an incredible education on what our farm bill is, and the pervasive impact it has on nearly everything we do.
Lara
Jul 25, 2007 Lara rated it liked it
I would have liked this more if it wasn't so textbooky. Important information, and while brief, I kinda just wanted a checklist or summary.
May 09, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most reasonably comprehensive plain-language primer on food and farm policy out there. Not unbiased.. but also not unfair.
meredith
Jul 22, 2007 meredith rated it liked it
Quasi coffee table format and cumbersome graphics take away from an otherwise interesting and informative book.
Rick
Sep 28, 2013 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
The farm bill is totally screwy. But there are some good parts to it. I learned a lot. You would too.
Toph White
Good book that gives you the breakdown of our food system and legislation.
Deborah Drucker
Dec 04, 2013 Deborah Drucker rated it it was amazing
Indispensable guide to the history and politics of the Farm Bill.
Nicole McCann
Feb 03, 2011 Nicole McCann rated it it was amazing
extremely relevant. the next farm bill is 2012. time to get to work!
Nov 07, 2011 Sarah marked it as considering
Saw him speak at CFSC 2011.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Lauren Skillen
Lauren Skillen marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Michelle Hunt
Michelle Hunt marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Annette Diorio
Annette Diorio rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Laura Horrigan
Laura Horrigan is currently reading it
May 25, 2016
E.b.d.
E.b.d. marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
puppy
puppy marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Allen Patterson
Allen Patterson marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Ava
Ava marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
  • Holy Cows and Hog Heaven: The Food Buyer's Guide to Farm Friendly Food
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food Movements
  • Food Fight: The Inside Story of the Food Industry, America's Obesity Crisis, and What We Can Do about It
  • Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty
  • Slow Food Revolution: A New Culture for Eating and Living
  • Depletion and Abundance: Life on the New Home Front
  • Last Chance to Eat: The Fate of Taste in a Fast Food World
  • Fair Food: Growing a Healthy, Sustainable Food System for All
  • Eat Here: Reclaiming Homegrown Pleasures in a Global Supermarket
  • Stuffed And Starved: Markets, Power And The Hidden Battle For The World Food System
  • Fields of Plenty: A Farmer's Journey in Search of Real Food and the People Who Grow It
  • Deeply Rooted: Unconventional Farmers in the Age of Agribusiness
  • Coming Home to Eat: The Pleasures and Politics of Local Foods
  • Just Food: Where Locavores Get It Wrong and How We Can Truly Eat Responsibly
  • Stolen Harvest: The Hijacking of the Global Food Supply
  • The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices: Practical Advice from The Union of Concerned Scientists
  • Safe Food: Bacteria, Biotechnology, and Bioterrorism