Food Fight: The Citizen's Guide to a Food and Farm Bill

Food Fight: The Citizen's Guide to a Food and Farm Bill

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Farm Bill is perhaps the single most significant land use legislation enacted in the United States, yet many citizens remain unaware of its power and scope. With subsidies ballooning toward $25 billion dollars per year, the Farm Bill largely dictates who grows what crops, on what acreage, and under what conditions—all with major impacts on the country's rural economies...more
Published March 15th 2007 by University of California Press

Sianna
For a deeper look past the surface issues of the country's food infrastructure shortcomings (like you would find in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver and Omnivore's Dilemma, by Michael Pollan), this book will help you better understand the wedge issues (conservation, poverty/food insecurity, health care/nutrition) that are all interrelated to the food bill and its impact on the country.

This book is broken up into several short chapters with lots of graphs and side stories relatin...more
David
Well, this one wasn't it either. I am continuing my quest for a good discussion of the interaction of U.S. food policy and third world poverty. This one hinted at it but was mostly about how the farm bill has evolved from one that was intended to help family farms to one that squeezes out smaller farms in favor of granting hugh subsidies to giant conglomerates. It was interesting and was well presented with lots of color graphics. I am glad I read it because it gives me a background for my study...more
Ellee
Jul 26, 2007 Ellee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who eat
The Farm Bill is a much ignored policy document that has it's tenticles in every aspect of our lives. This book reads more like a really long brochure, with lots of useful information. As always, I wish policy books went further when advocating for change...but, the last chapter has some great suggestions, and lots of contacts.
Asta Garmon
Aug 19, 2008 Asta Garmon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who eats
Shelves: food-books
I saw Dan Imhoff speak last night with Dan Barber. It was great but there was a feeling of impending doom because the Farm Bill was voted on that night in the House. This morning, we woke to find that Speaker Polosi sold us short in a number of areas. I still want to read this book though!
Mary Louise
A quick read with plenty of colorful graphs, cheerful Venn Diagrams, and snappy flow charts with Famer and Cow-shaped symbols to help you understand how the "Farm Bill" should be called the "Food Bill." It determines what sort of food we eat and as a result, the health of our nation.
Stephan
This is a pretty good primer on the US Farm Bill.

It's not as in-depth as I'd like though, and the organization can be frustrating. Maybe that's just because the farm bill is disorganized itself though.
Stepho
Aug 09, 2007 Stepho rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Please read this book. Soon. It is an incredible education on what our farm bill is, and the pervasive impact it has on nearly everything we do.
Lara
I would have liked this more if it wasn't so textbooky. Important information, and while brief, I kinda just wanted a checklist or summary.
meredith
Quasi coffee table format and cumbersome graphics take away from an otherwise interesting and informative book.
Deborah Drucker
Indispensable guide to the history and politics of the Farm Bill.
Nicole McCann
extremely relevant. the next farm bill is 2012. time to get to work!
Nov 07, 2011 Sarah marked it as considering
Saw him speak at CFSC 2011.
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
Anandi
Anandi marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Kar
Kar marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Karen Cook
Karen Cook marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Lauren Flesher
Lauren Flesher marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Vincent Watson
Vincent Watson marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Taryn
Taryn marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Biruk
Biruk marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Ashley Thibeault
Ashley Thibeault marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Catdulmage
Catdulmage is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2014
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
CAFO: The Tragedy of Industrial Animal Factories The CAFO Reader: The Tragedy of Industrial Animal Factories Paper or Plastic: Searching for Solutions to an Overpackaged World Food Fight: The Citizen's Guide to the Next Food and Farm Bill Farming and the Fate of Wild Nature: Essays on Conservation-based Agriculture