Start by marking “African Nights: True Stories from the Author of I Dreamed of Africa” as Want to Read:
African Nights: True Stories from the Author of I Dreamed of Africa

African Nights: True Stories from the Author of I Dreamed of Africa

Lyrical, beautifully written tales of life in AfricaAfrica evokes a deep sense of mystery. It is a place that retains what most of the world has lost: space, roots, traditions, awesome beauty, true wilderness, rare animals, and extraordinary people. In this wonderful and haunting collection of stories, Kuki Gallmann writes of her life in Africa, where every day brings chal ...more
Published March 22nd 2000 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about African Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about African Nights

Sue
Sep 30, 2012 Sue rated it liked it
Shelves: africa, memoir, kenya
Collection of stories of Gallmann's experiences not recounted in I dreamed of Africa. Some of them take place during that time and some since. Also included is at least one flashback to her childhood. Some of the chapters are actually multiple stories all around the same subject. The last 50 pages or so are essentially one story with each chapter being a different aspect of the people leading up to the recounting of the trek with the camels.
I enjoyed this. She's a good story teller and I get a
Bill Keefe
Oct 15, 2010 Bill Keefe rated it liked it
I've been reading this book for years; first as a reluctant partner in my night time sleep ritual, later as a periodic reminder of many of the true wonders and joys of living in Kenya and, to a lesser extent perhaps, in other areas of Africa, and finally as a friend and companion, one of the little pleasures, one of the measures of peace I find in coming back home at the end of the week.

Kuki Gallmann's stories will not take you to a Kenya that is ripe with corruption, brutality and shocking urb
Corinne
I have never been to Africa. I have never felt a desert breeze in my hair or fallen asleep to the shuffling of elephants or the breathing of camels. But now, having read African Nights, I feel like I have.

Kuki's love of Kenya - its people, animals and customs, shines through each tale like a blistering sunset. Her stories are of Africa's bounty: the vistas she has climbed, flown, boated and rode to view and the vast diversity of its wildlife. For the most part, though, she celebrates Africa's pe
Ensiform
Dec 22, 2011 Ensiform rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, africa
Also containing Night Of the Lions. Touted as “True Stories,” these are tales of the author’s residence in Kenya: adventures with wildlife, tributes to lost and loyal friends, reminisces on her deceased son and husband, and poetic meditations on the beauty of the landscape. It’s mostly informative, though Gallmann does stray from the advertised subject a bit, with a tale of her childhood in Italy, trips back as an adult, or talks with an Eastern Indian mystic in Utah (!). And some stories seem a ...more
Gerry
Apr 25, 2012 Gerry rated it really liked it
I loved reading these true stories of the life of Kuki Gallmann. She is an amazing woman. With a life full of adventure, hardships, and heart ache, she took the time to share her experiences though the stories she wrote in this book. I have also read her book "I dreamed of Africa" which was just as amazing. I have watched the movie that was made also. It makes you wonder how a person can go though so much and still have peace in her life. If you are interested in reading her books, I suggest you ...more
Tracy
Jul 11, 2015 Tracy rated it liked it
This was more of a 3.5 or so for me. I bought it specifically because I was going to Kenya and needed a paperback to read on one of the many long flights. I wish that there had been a map in the book so that I could have seen where the various stories took place. I really enjoyed the Swahili dictionary at the back of the book.This was an enjoyable read and I left it at one of the camps for others to enjoy.
Maria Castaño
Jul 01, 2008 Maria Castaño rated it it was amazing
I am really enyoying this book. It transports you to Kenya. The descriptions of the natural places and the characters are so vivid... They are short stories of real experiences that the author had in Kenya. Great book. It makes me want to travel to Kenya and I really think that I'll do the trip.
Trish
Jun 30, 2011 Trish rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
While I liked the writing style, we have very different African experiences. Also, people. Please stop referring to one group of people by calling them Africans, when you're not referring to their belonging to the continent!
Trudy Jaskela
Jul 29, 2012 Trudy Jaskela rated it really liked it
Very interesting - about her expperiences and her activities living in East Africa.
She and her second husband own a farm and a nature center in Kenya.
Kuki's 1st husband Paulo died in a MVA and son Emmanual was killed by a venomous snake.
The movie version I also enjoyed.
Margitte
A must read after reading the Kuki Gallmanns first novel 'I dreamt of Africa'. One of those stories that inspires the reader to travel and meet the author. Very well written. I recommend it.
Marie
Aug 12, 2013 Marie rated it it was amazing
I have to confess, I am totally intriqued (maybe obsessed) about life in Africa. I loved her view on life and love her writing style in this book.
Mara
Feb 03, 2011 Mara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: italiana, narrativa
Dopo il successo, meritato, di "Sognavo l' Africa ", questo libro mi e' sembrato un sequel non riuscito : una serie di ricordi slegati fra di loro conditi da una buona dose di autocompiacimento.
Jenna
Jan 24, 2007 Jenna rated it really liked it
An excellent book about dreams coming true, and the hardships along the way.
Laoura
Sep 07, 2009 Laoura rated it liked it
Nice true stories
Payson
Oct 02, 2010 Payson added it
Interesting follow-up to "I Dreamed of Africa"
Paula
May 24, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it
I liked this so much more than I dreamed of Africa. Wonderfully presented landscapes and memories.
Leonie
Jan 19, 2014 Leonie added it
Very evocative of Africa - its people and landscapes - loved it!
Christa Lindsay
May 31, 2011 Christa Lindsay rated it it was amazing
I am still busy with this one, but love it too!
Alexandra
Jun 26, 2012 Alexandra rated it really liked it
These were great, so easy to read and so evocative!
Tammy Krueger
Jul 23, 2013 Tammy Krueger rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Just as good as I dreamed of Africa . Wish she would write another!
Laurie Owen
Laurie Owen rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2008
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
Krissa
Krissa rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2007
Tricia V
Tricia V rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Josie
Josie rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Dimitra
Dimitra rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2009
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Laura Iovino
Laura Iovino rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Carolyn Flanery
Carolyn Flanery rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Bonnie Towles
Bonnie Towles rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Out in the Midday Sun
  • Too Close to the Sun: The Audacious Life and Times of Denys Finch Hatton
  • White Mischief
  • The Worlds of a Maasai Warrior: An Autobiography
  • Ghosts of Tsavo: Stalking the Mystery Lions of East Africa
  • To the Heart of the Nile: Lady Florence Baker and the Exploration of Central Africa
  • Letters from Africa, 1914-1931
  • Sola come un gambo di sedano
  • The Lives of Beryl Markham
  • Child Soldier
  • The Eye of the Elephant: An Epic Adventure in the African Wilderness
  • Global Shadows: Africa in the Neoliberal World Order
  • Mandela: The Authorized Portrait
  • Malcolm X Speeches: February 1965
  • The Man Who Heard Voices: Or, How M. Night Shyamalan Risked His Career on a Fairy Tale
  • Death in Kenya
  • This House Has Fallen: Nigeria In Crisis
  • Part of My Soul Went with Him
Kuki Gallmann is an Italian-born Kenyan national, best-selling author, poet, environmental activist, and conservationist.

Fascinated by Africa, Gallmann moved to Kenya in 1972 with her husband Paolo and son Emanuele, and acquired Ol ari Nyiro, a 98,000 acre estate in Western Laikipia, in Kenya's Great Rift Valley. At the time the estate was still a cattle ranch, which she would later transform into
More about Kuki Gallmann...