Start by marking “Ben & Jerry's: The Inside Scoop: How Two Real Guys Built a Business with a Social Conscience and a Sense of Humor” as Want to Read:

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The former CEO of Ben & Jerry's tells how two '60s holdovers built a single ice cream store into one of America's hottest companies. "Deftly and compassionately captures [Ben's] genius in all its entrepreneurial splendor...This tale will keep you entertained."--New York Times Book Review.
Published May 16th 1995 by Crown Business (first published May 17th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Ben & Jerry's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ben & Jerry's

Chavi
This is a great story.

I didn't know the making of a company could be such an enthralling story, but this one is, with conflict, suspense, and a series of highs and lows, that as the stakes get higher become progressively higher and lower.

The main character Ben, like any great character, is flawed. He's genius and visionary and authentic, but unrealistic, capricious, and difficult to get along with. He's supported by a cast of characters including Jerry, his partner, Fred, the author and former
Kathryn
I picked this book up at the gift shop at the Waterbury, Vermont Ben & Jerry’s plant after the factory. I found that the book was more about the business world than about ice cream, but still enjoyed reading it.

In 1978 Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield opened up an ice cream shop in a former gas station in Burlington, Vermont. Perpetually short of equipment, employees, and money, but with lots of enthusiasm and a desire to be socially conscious, their enterprise turned into a national phenomeno
Books By Bailey
What a refreshing and inspiring insight into a company everyone knows. While I've enjoyed pints of Chunky Monkey and Cherry Garcia over the years, I had no idea how the ice cream giant came to be. Nowhere on the pages did it depict two guys who knew what they were doing in the beginning or for many years. Rather, the real beauty and inspiring factors come from their ingenuity and not being phased when new situations came their way. In one word, the story appears very "honest" and that's how thes ...more
Valerie
I don't actually care for ice cream--I suffer from lactose intolerance, and bad teeth, so ice cream is not an unalloyed pleasure for me.

But when I do buy ice cream, this is the brand I tend to buy, because of the revelations in this book. Ben & Jerry aren't angels--but their 'business' model strikes me as a wholesome corrective to the ruthless practices of MBAs who too often forget that, as several people have pointed out recently, 'a budget is a moral document'.

Success in business CANNOT be
Cassandra
The whole time I was reading this book I was thinking, "I can't believe this company was actually successful." Especially at the beginning, but even during their explosive growth, the leaders (mostly Ben) made the most arbitrary decisions. In fact, because they grew so fast and had so little capital, their management and logistic systems were always hopelessly behind their growth. I love ice cream, particularly Ben and Jerry's, and it was interesting to see how the company got started. There are ...more
Cait
Very interesting to read about the origins of the company, and the founders' focus on building a great product versus not going bankrupt. The history extends through the early 90s; I would like to read about the mid-90s through the present.
Aaron the Pink Donut
Who would have known that the rich, flavorful ice-cream filled with massive amounts of chunky chocolates, fruits, and nuts really came about because of Ben’s terrible sense of taste and smell due chronic sinus trouble! This and so many other things are reviled in this wonderful book. The book follows Ben and Jerry from their humble roots as a shoe string cone stand to a thriving multimillion dollar nationally know company. This book was an absolute joy to read. It was refreshing to read about a ...more
Benjamin Haag
Mar 17, 2008 Benjamin Haag rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ice cream lovers and other voluptuaries
I think that the bulk of my enjoyment with this book originated in my interest in the source material, to wit, the ambrosia that is Ben and Jerry's ice cream. That, and the seeming honesty that the author brings to the figurative table; he seems to recount both the highs and lows of his experience as one of Ben and Jerry's movers and shakers with evenhandedness.
Rebecca Buttigieg
An interesting look at the evolution of the company, especially with regards to how the key players worked together (or didn't). I found it fascinating to see how people's personalities affected key business decisions.
Jorge
The chapter "Ben is Ben" is worth gold, if only to understand the mindset of an entrepreneur. Ben is pretty much the Steve Jobs of ice cream. No doubt, no doubt in my mind. The book can be boring at times tho.
Brad
Hilarious stories, business insights and interesting changes both the company and its founders went through when faced with overwhelming success.
Gia Chevis
Fascinating book. Easy to read but with enough detail to be a robust learning experience.
Jānis Brikšis
Jānis Brikšis marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Du Nguyen
Du Nguyen marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Rissa
Rissa marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Sadiq
Sadiq marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Jackson Pearns
Jackson Pearns marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Sara
Sara is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2015
Ayelet
Ayelet added it
Jul 26, 2015
Kevin Way
Kevin Way marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Simon Evangelist
Simon Evangelist marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Davis
Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
  • High Stakes, No Prisoners : A Winner's Tale of Greed and Glory in the Internet Wars
  • Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure
  • Measuring and Managing Performance in Organizations
  • Growing a Business
  • The Business of Software: What Every Manager, Programmer, and Entrepreneur Must Know to Thrive and Survive in Good Times and Bad
  • Burn Rate : How I Survived the Gold Rush Years on the Internet
  • In Search of Stupidity: Over 20 Years of High-Tech Marketing Disasters
  • The Macintosh Way
  • Testing Computer Software
  • Show Stopper!: The Breakneck Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft
  • The Anatomy of Buzz: How to Create Word of Mouth Marketing
  • The First $20 Million Is Always the Hardest
  • The PayPal Wars: Battles with eBay, the Media, the Mafia, and the Rest of the Planet Earth
  • Amazonia: Five Years at the Epicenter of the Dot.Com Juggernaut
  • Death March
  • The Fall of Advertising and the Rise of PR
  • Geeks: How Two Lost Boys Rode the Internet Out of Idaho
  • Organizing from the Inside Out for Teens: The Foolproof System for Organizing Your Room, Your Time, and Your Life