Start by marking “Time Stops for No Mouse” as Want to Read:
Time Stops for No Mouse

Time Stops for No Mouse (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,571 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
If you and your child like mysteries, here's one that will take you on a roller-coaster ride in a race against time to save a mad doctor from wreaking havoc on his town, and perhaps the world. Did we mention that the hero is a mouse, and the mad doctor is a rat?

Welcome to the tiny town of Pinchester, where mice, rats, moles, and minks work har

Published January 1st 2001 by Terfle Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Time Stops for No Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Stops for No Mouse

Ilana Waters
Apr 27, 2013 Ilana Waters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh. My. God. Words cannot describe how much I loved this book. Which is kind of pathetic, since I'm a writer. ;-P And for someone who doesn't read mysteries, if you can get me interested in one, you know it's good!

Michael Hoeye's work is an example of world-building at its best. In a realm like-our-own-and-yet-not, his plot is immediately engaging. The adult characters in the book, sly humor, and universal themes (such as "what is real beauty?") will make this a fun read for grown-ups as well as
Julie
Nov 24, 2008 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Alex
It’s difficult to write a positive review about a book that had me thinking about stopping through the entire first half. Most of my dislike focused on the too-cute outlandish names and the too-detailed narratives of the main character’s daily routine. However, about halfway through I got interested in the mystery, and after that it was a quick read. It certainly helped that there was a lot more action so there were fewer painfully slow descriptions of Hermux’s meals and clothing.
Hermux Tantam
Erika
Jan 21, 2016 Erika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone by the age of 14.
Shelves: 2006
The cover of this book caught my eye from the very first moment I laid my eyes on it. For me the cover is selling as much as the resume on the back. And I did bring this book and the two others in the serie with me home from the library.

It is now three years since I read the book, and I've grown older and wiser since then. Therefore I can only give this book two stars.

The plot was good. And exicting too, but when you consider my age at that point, which was 14, it did really match my way of thi
Jennifer A.M.
Sep 26, 2007 Jennifer A.M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young readers and those who enjoy a good clean adventure
Shelves: favorites
This is a fabulous series for young readers. I read them as an adult, but thoroughly enjoyed the humor and the detail put into these books. A great read alound series. The main character is Hermux Tantamoq, a watchmaker, who gets sucked into these fantastic adventures along with his lady mouse love (did I mention he is a mouse) and a plethera of other rodent type creatures. They solve mysteries and crimes and there is always a happy ending. I am looking forward to the next in the series which is ...more
Lizzy Baldwin
Oct 06, 2015 Lizzy Baldwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the blurb suggests the book follows Hermux Tatamoq who just happens to be a watchmaking mouse. In his day to day life, he has a little pet ladybird called Terfle, he wears flannel shirts and he has numerous printed images of different cheese from around the world. He has a crush however, on the darling Ms.Linka Perflinger who just so happens to visit his watch shop needing an emergency repair on her watch. From that moment, Hermux’s life will change forever. As Ms Perflinger seemingly disappe ...more
Bookguide
Feb 16, 2013 Bookguide rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit vond ik een erg leuk boek voor kinderen vanaf een jaar of 10. Alle personages zijn dieren, het merendeel muizen, ratten, hamsters en mollen, maar ze gedragen zich net als mensen. De namen zijn heel ingewikkeld, en in het begin vond ik het moeilijk iedereen uit elkaar te houden. Ik hield een lijst bij, met de bedoeling de Engelse namen op te zoeken. Dat deed ik pas aan het eind van het boek, en wat bleek? Ze zijn bijna allemaal min of meer hetzelfde in het Engels. Er was wel één naam waar ik ...more
fuzzgig
I guess I can't resist another mouse tale. Hermux Tantamoq is a mild-mannered work-a-day mouse who lives a quiet life working in his watch repair shop. Despite his apparent averageness, he has an extraordinary sense of optimism. When an exotic and beautiful aviatrix (you gotta love that word) drops off a mess of a watch, Hermux is smitten. He dutifully repairs her watch in a timely manner (nudge-nudge). But when she neglects to pick up the watch, Hermux begins to worry. He becomes especially sus ...more
Paul
Mar 11, 2013 Paul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's been quite a while since I read this book so I can't really say much about it. I didn't really like it when I read it, though. The main reason why I didn't really like the book much was because I didn't get why the characters had to be mice. This won't seem like a big deal to most people but it seemed to me that the characters could have been humans and everything else would have stayed exactly the same. Well, almost everything else. At one point I decided that the characters could just be ...more
Mollie Reeder
Dec 29, 2013 Mollie Reeder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures were my absolute favorite books when they came out, read over and over again (especially Sands of Time, which is hands-down my favorite).

They're a bit odd, an acquired taste perhaps, and maybe not for everyone. The first book may require some patience to get its plot kicked off - but is well worth the investment as it turns into a downright thriller.

The heroes are all animals (the titular character being a mouse) who live in an anthropomorphic rodent world full o
Lavender911
Jan 18, 2011 Lavender911 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hermux is just an ordinary watchmaking mouse who leads an ordinary life, that is, untill the fearless aviatrix Ms. Linka Perflinger visits his shop requesting an emergency rush repair of her wristwatch. When a sharp-tongued rat comes to his shop and to pick up Ms. Perflinger's watch, Hermux knowa something is wrong. As Hermux works to figure out what happened, he gets in way over his head with his detective work and will have fur-raising encounters.

Hermux is one of my favorite book characters be
*Sklip*
Mar 20, 2011 *Sklip* rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a super-interesting book. This one was amazingly thrilling and creepy at the same time. I remember the first time reading it when I was younger, scared the beejeezes out of me =/

This time reading it, it was even better and entertaining. It moves at a nice pace, not too fast, not too slow. It was full of action and mystery. Of course, what's a book without some romance? I thought it was ultra-cute how Hermux falls in love with Linka from the first moment he meets her!

Terfle is so cute! I
Kay
Feb 04, 2014 Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a world not so different from ours, a society made up of rodents and other small mammals thrives. Michael Hoeye adeptly weaves a story of adventure into the otherwise ordinary life of mouse watchmaker Hermux Tantamoq in Time Stops for No Mouse.

Having originally read this novel many years ago, and rereading it several times over the years, including as an adult, this is a novel that can intrigue readers of all ages. With a fast pace and jaw-dropping twists, it easily captures and holds one’s
Kavita Ramesh
Nov 07, 2015 Kavita Ramesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From wikipedia: The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures are a series of children's novels by Michael Hoeye which follows the story of a watchmaker mouse named Hermux Tantamoq, who becomes a detective.

I shouldn't have to say more...but I will! ;)

I luuuurrrrvvveeeeee this series.
I have 3 of the 4 books in hardcover (the 4th one was only available in paperback). I am planning on reading them again next month. It is a "children's mystery series", but trust me, it is MUCH more than that.

Thank-you Hyper Books
Rachel
Oct 14, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite liked this book. The story is really good, and though at some points it had me a little lost and confused (character names, conversations etc), I always managed to find my way back. The characters are cute, especially the watch-maker. Conspiracy in the beauty industry! It packs quite a few laughs, so I'd recommend this to someone who needs mild amusement.

----

Reading this months, maybe years later, I've changed my mind. Bit undeserving of the 4 stars I gave it, so I'm giving it 3 instead.
Camilla Severns
Dec 20, 2015 Camilla Severns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea this was a series. Dang. I've got to read the rest. I read this book years ago in high school, and it's one of those that I think of from time to time. It was a really interesting read in my opinion. Great descriptions, big adventures, fully rounded charaters, an overall good book.
Kate Coen
Sep 10, 2014 Kate Coen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored reading about Hermux. The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures were some of the only books that I read to my younger brother that actually held his interest. The writing style is very engaging and the characters are fantastic. While there are definite lessons learned, the books aren't at all 'preachy' or boring. My brother used to get so excited for the next chapter, he would make necklaces with letter beads (his was Hermux, mine was Tucka). I would recommend this book, as well as the rest of the ...more
Dori Von Nieda
Mar 06, 2016 Dori Von Nieda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 11-20
Hermux is a mouse who owns a watch shop. His business is small, but he's a simple mouse and doesn't need much. When a beautiful female pilot needs a watch fixed, then disappears, Hermux is thrown into a mystery to figure out where she's gone, why she disappeared, and what happened to her cargo. He must face the fashion-forward Tucka's dreams of a makeup empire and enlist the help of an overeager Pup, a mole with giant front teeth, to get to the bottom of the mystery.

This is, to me, a perfect chi
Kailey
May 18, 2015 Kailey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A cute story about a watchmaker mouse who gets dragged into corporate espionage! The book could have been shorter. There were long passages that could have been more concise, and the story moves slowly. Some of the dialogue is mundane and could have been shortened.

I liked the character of Hermux! He's thoughtful and brave and cautious and quiet and always getting caught up in wishful thinking. He's quite a charming mouse! I liked his little gratitude journal entries, focusing on the small-but-i
Alexis Drake
Jun 18, 2015 Alexis Drake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4,5/5
Hermux Tantamoq, professione orologiaio.
Linka Perflinger, professione avventuriera e scavezzacollo.
Tucka Mertslin, regina della cosmesi.
Cosa hanno in comune questi tre personaggi? Una storia e… il fatto che non sono umani, ma topi.
Il tempo non si ferma per i topi è un romanzo per ragazzini in cui si mischiano molto agevolmente avventura, brivido e suspense, in una storia in cui gli umani, per una volta, non c’entrano niente.
La cittadina di Pinchester infatti ospita rispettabili topi, scoi
Anna
Jun 13, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was about to grab another school book, not sure whether Jonathan Swift or Shakespeare, I thought to myself "on no, not again". I wanted to read something light, something nice, something designed for children that teases your imagination just a little bit and lets you read few chapters before sleep every night. And I have to sa that "Time Stops for No Mouse" was a great choice.
I have purchased this book when I was about ten years younger than now and loved reading it, however I did not re
Kiri
May 20, 2015 Kiri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Great book for younger readers (and a fun romp even for us old 'uns). The book opens with Hermux being jolted out of his comfortable life by a demanding (and dashing) aviatrix (gotta love that word!). She vanishes, and from then on it's Hermux trying to solve the mystery and save the girl. The writing is simple and accessible and the chapters are short. And despite its simplicity, the world and Hermux linger in your mind after you finish the last page. Enjoyable!

P.S. There's a scene in this book
Mommalibrarian
I can't imagine for whom this chapter book was written. My first impression was The Devil Wears Prada with small mammals. It wasn't until page 73 that the story got interesting. The use of 'linoleum', 'straight razor', 'abacus', 'accordion', and 'propeller plane' allows the writer to place the story in some undefined past time. Perhaps this is to protect it from aging. The use of animals instead of people allows the concept of stereotypes to be applied to multiple species: rats, moles, gophers. ...more
Lele
Feb 19, 2016 Lele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forever-faves
I love this book so much. I first read it when I was fourteen and somehow encountered it on the shelves of the local library I was moving through, and it somehow left a really strong, but kind of vague impression. I never forgot it, but I would have also had a very hard time describing it to anyone asking me about it. It was like that weird dream that you kind of remember but really don't, but it was still real and special and haunting and unforgettable and somehow perfect.
Then, a year ago, it s
Chazzi
Jan 25, 2015 Chazzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Hermux Tantamoq is an average watchmaker living an average life until the adventurous aviatrix Linka Perflinger comes into his shop to get her watch repaired. Then life becomes and exciting adventure!

Thought the character and place names are strange and sometimes you have to slow down to figure out the pronunciation, the action and suspense is non-stop. There is enough description to form an image in your mind of the characters, locations and actions and still keep you wanting to read more.

I too
Salsabrarian
Narrated by Campbell Scott. Hermux Tantamoq is a mild-mannered mouse who owns a watchmaking shop. One day the adventurous aviatrix Linka Perflinger drops off her watch for repair. Hermux is taken with Linka and is concerned when she doesn't return for her watch. He's alarmed when a scruffy rat comes in to try and claim it without a ticket. Hermux tails the rat and witnesses Linka being led away from her home in a car. Hermux's pursuit leads him deep into a mystery concerning a formula for eterna ...more
Yoraima
Dec 17, 2014 Yoraima rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whs, action, drama
Time Stops for No Mouse is a very very good book. You can tell Micheal Hoeye put a lot of effort into this book. So much detail in the characters and so much detail on the surroundings, that it made me feel like I was actualy there. Hermux sounds like a very calm and submisive mouse, that I wish I was that calm. Miss. Perflinger is a very beautiful mouse. That is how Mr. Hoeye described her, as I said, he is very good at describing his characters. I rate this book a 5 star review, because the de ...more
Erin
May 27, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
When my adorable 4th grade neighbor asked me what my favorite subject in school was, and I told him about my life long obsession with reading, he eagerly pressed this book into my hands. What better endorsement do you get than that (especially when he said his favorite subject is P.E.)? This was charming. Gentle but adventurous. A hero that makes novice mistakes, but they don't really bother you because you can relate. Quirky anthropomorphic characters. I would put the target audience as 8 to 10 ...more
Jenna Applebach
Mar 29, 2016 Jenna Applebach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. A few words come to mind when I think of this story: "A quaint, tidy mystery." I actually felt I could identify with main character Hermux Tantamoq, as he's very sentimental and old-fashioned in his own way, always seeing the best in others.

This is apparently a children's book, but I'd beg to differ because there are words and moments only a young adult/adult might recognize and fully appreciate. Of course the mystery itself was very tame, meant for a child, but I thoroughly enjoyed i
Cindy
Hermux Tantamoq is a watch and clock maker and fixer - a mouse whose life is orderly and neat. Then he meets an adventurous mouse - a beautiful woman who, before Hermux can even sense it happening, plunges him into a mystery that involves a bad guy with a wonderful name - ALL the characters have wonderful names and wonderful personalities!! - and more adventure than Hermux expected. He's up to it though, and the short cliffhanger chapters help keep everyone interested until the end! Totally perf ...more
Jeana
Jan 31, 2015 Jeana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's The Name o...: Young adult series about a mouse investigator [s] 11 68 Nov 11, 2013 10:05AM
  • A Barrel of Laughs, a Vale of Tears
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • A Rat's Tale
  • Pure Dead Wicked (Pure Dead, #2)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
  • Ragweed (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #0)
  • The Secret of Platform 13
  • Permanent Rose (Casson Family, #3)
  • Little Wolf's Book of Badness
  • The New Policeman (New Policeman, #1)
  • The Hidden Doors (Explorer, #3)
  • The Angel's Command (Flying Dutchman, #2)
  • The Anybodies (Anybodies, #1)
  • Julia's reis (Julia's reis)
  • Green Jasper (The de Granville Trilogy, #2)
  • Pinky Pye (The Pyes, #2)
  • The High King's Daughter (Circle of Magic, #6)
Michael Hoeye has worked as a farmer, fashion photographer, stagehand and high-school teacher. He and his wife, Martha, live in a stone cottage in Oregon with their cat, Lionel. They enjoy the company of nine big oak trees, six bigger fir trees, three fat squirrels, a noisy family of woodpeckers and a travelling circus of nuthatches, blue jays, crows, finches and robins.

Michael's first novel for c
More about Michael Hoeye...

The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures (4 books)
  • The Sands of Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #2)
  • No Time Like Show Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #3)
  • Time to Smell the Roses (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #4)

“He expected pages and pages of bright pictures of pancakes of every variety shown in plain stacks, or built into castles or bridges or igloos, or shaped like airplanes or rowboats or fire engines. And pitchers of syrup to choose from -- partridge berry syrup, thimbleberry syrup, huckleberry syrup, bosenberry syrup, and raspberry syrup. Then there would be cheese plates and cheeses a la carte. Creamy cheeses, crumbly cheeses, and peculiar little cheeses in peculiar little clay pots.” 9 likes
“It may be a dangerous and confusing job.
But it’s mine to do…”