Start by marking “El quinto jinete” as Want to Read:
El quinto jinete

El quinto jinete

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  600 ratings  ·  27 reviews
El quinto jinete es una novela de suspense escrita en 1980 por Larry Collins y Dominique Lapierre. En ella, los autores imaginan el primer chantaje nuclear de la historia.La casa Blanca recibe un mensaje: el coronel Kadhafi dice que si en 36 horas los israelíes no les devuelven las tierras a los palestinos, una bomba atomica destruirá Nueva York. Pero no pueden decirle ni ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Published April 16th 2002 by Plaza y Janes (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about El quinto jinete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El quinto jinete

Carmo Santos
Terrorismo não é um tema que me leve às prateleira de um livraria em busca de um livro, mas este Quinto Cavaleiro caiu-me no colo e foi impossível ignora-lo.

Comecei a leitura de pé atrás mas fiquei presa logo nos primeiros capítulos. Primeiro a uma escrita fluida que nos faz deslizar pelas páginas e depois pelo enredo que evolui rapidamente e atinge um ritmo imparável até ao final. Final que acaba por não ter nada de surpreendente mas que vale pelo suspense até às últimas linhas.
Escrito no fina
Axone
J'ai commencé ce livre sans savoir ce qui m'attendait, à défaut d'avoir autre chose à lire, sans a priori...

Au fur et à mesure de la lecture, on est complétement happé par un thriller à couper le souffle, un peu à la 24 heures Chrono. Le temps se déroule tout naturellement, et l'urgence des situations nous oblige à rester dans le livre, à le dévorer en un éclair.

Pourtant paru 21 ans avant les attentats du World Trade Center, il est plus que jamais d'actualité et nous fait rentrer dans les coulis
Ronneth Briceño
Por fin logré terminar este libro, nada hubiese deseado más que poder leerlo de una manera más constante. En algún momento a mitad del libro pensé en que ni loco podría darle las 5 estrellas debido al gran aburrimiento que me estaba causando, pero luego de leer varias páginas más me di cuenta de que para entenderlo completamente hay que leerlo sin muchas pausas (días sin leer) y disfrutando cada detalle que te dan en las páginas, porque si no se hace así, puede llegar a ser tedioso.

Para mí el ú
Geo Forman
A nuclear bomb capable of destroying NYC is hidden in the city by Lybian agents as blackmail to get Israel to abandon their settlements on the west bank. Even though written in the 1980's, it is a plausible story today. The story does not suffer from the changed technology since its writing. The president decides it is best not to tell the population about the bomb because part of the threat is that if an evacuation of the city begins, the bomb will detonated immediately.
It is a race against ti
Michael
A timeless story about terrorists desiring to set an explosion in New York unless the United States will agree to their demands and agrees to set up an independedt Palistinian state. Libyan Col. Mummar al-Qaddafi has given the US 36 hours to agree to his terms or else, he will set off the device, wiping New York off the map.

Det. Angelo Rocchia and his girlfriend, Grace Knewland are two of the New Yorkers who would be killed in the explosion. Over dinner, Grace tells Angelo how happy she is to le
Linda  Branham Greenwell
A book about a threatened nuclear holocaust! A great doomer book
I read this a long time ago - and just now reread it
The prospect of an event such as this is everyone's worst nightmare. Yet it is precisely what the think tanks who are responsible for national security have on their agenda, and have for years...what to do...if.... This book is about the prospect of a nuclear attack in New York City
The prospect was so daunting that the US and USSR for decades pulled out all the stops to insure that
Peter
I found this book whilst on holiday and decided to give it a try.I didnt expect it but within a few pages I was hooked.The only issue I had with the book was how it seemed to end fairly abruptly leaving me with lots of questions.Not a big problem but seemed a shame having spent a lot of time detailing the characters and the situation.I would still very much recommend it though.
Greg Snyder
This book was fun to read. It's about a hydrogen bomb being placed in Manhattan by Muammar Muhammad Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi of Libya. What I liked the most is how it took me back in time. Fax machines, Micro computers, Phone Booths, F-4 Phantoms, Menachem Begin, Moshe Dayan, Anwar Sadat. Part of these were brand new at the time or are old news and most of the people are buried now. In the end the good guys always win.
Patrick Gibson
Read this a long time ago and thought I would give it a re-read before the book gets donated to Goodwill. This is a solid doomsday thriller written before authors started cranking this genre out on a monthly basis. A little dated but still relevant.
Gerri
I was looking through my "non-virtual" bookshelves the other day and found this. I was IMMEDIATELY brought back to the day I read it.... and it was just a day -- I read it in one continuous, thrilling, stomach churning, suspenseful thriller of a day. I did not, could not put it down. Although I haven't read it since the 80's, I still remember the impact it left on me as being one of the greatest, and I mean GREATEST, thrillers of all time: A nuclear bomb set to go off in the middle of New York C ...more
Jenn Lc
Un libro muy interesante que trata acerca de una amenaza nuclear y la reaccion del gobierno norreamericano ante ella, abordado de manera interesante y escrito con una fluidez increible, este libro me tuvo atenta todo el tiempo.

Para mi fue como ver una pelicula como tantas q tocan este tema.

Una joya
Debashis
Read this book a long time ago, one of the first Collins-Lapiere books that I read. A thriller to the core ! A zealot dictator plots his revenge on the United States (well, is it not true of all zealots??) and we have a couple of brave cops racing against time to diffuse the situation. The same old story, but involves better story telling.
Kotoole1
This was one of those rare books that you just don't expect to be so good. This book was very believable and very scary, especially if you lived through the times when the story took place. When he was in total control of Lybia during the 70's and early 80's; Moammar Kadafi was an unstable, unpredictable, and very scary leader.
Veeral
Good thriller which depicts a plausible scenario where terrorists try to detonate a nuclear bomb in New York, which without sounding being paranoid, could happen in any country in reality.

But I think the end was a bit downplayed after the high tension build up throughout the novel.
Lou
Un material estupendo, con una narrativa creativa que introduce a los personajes y entrelaza historias de un modo que atrapa al lector en la trama. Buena obra, para pasar un rato de suspenso y acción creativos.
dead letter office
the only fiction i've read by these guys (who write great nonfiction). it wasn't as good as their nonfiction but it was weirdly prescient. they wrote this decades ago, and i read it maybe 6 months before 9/11.
L.  (I've Stopped Counting)
A decent read, but was disappointed in the female characters. They were just furniture, not important to the story at all.
Denise DeRocher
Fantastic - the "first" in international espionage!!!! The "bible" from which all other books of this genre derive!!!!
Diana
Un thriller appassionante, ma amo molto di più il D. Lapierre che ci racconta la vita che ci circonda!
Reneesh matthew
The fifth Horseman is thriller. You would not feel like leaving the book till you finish it.
Nuno Magalhães
Gostei muito deste livro que narra a preparação de um ataque terrorista em Nova Iorque.
Sofia
Eerily current book written in 1980 about a terrorist attack in New York. A great read.
Juan Duque
Fun, light pulp fiction blockbuster movie material. Pageturner, too!
Alind Gupta
Amazimg plot and beautifully written.
Timinator
Loved it...good read.
Martina Vaglia
Martina Vaglia is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
Kumar
Kumar marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
  • El arpa y la sombra
  • Lilac And Flag
  • Malena es un nombre de tango
  • Misericordia
  • Le Capitaine Fracasse
  • Invasion
  • Six Great Modern Plays
  • Iron in the Soul
  • La ciudad de los prodigios
  • The Absent City
  • The Sisters (The Ordeal, #1)
  • Solo
  • The Humanoid Touch (Humanoids, #2)
Born in West Hartford, Connecticut, he was educated at the Loomis Chaffee Institute in Windsor, Connecticut, and graduated from Yale as a BA in 1951. He worked in the advertising department of Procter and Gamble, in Cincinnati, Ohio, before being conscripted into the US Army. While serving in the public affairs office of the Allied Headquarters in Paris, from 1953-1955, he met Dominique Lapierre w ...more
More about Larry Collins...
Freedom at Midnight Is Paris Burning? O Jerusalem Or I'll Dress You in Mourning: The Story of El Cordobes and the New Spain He Stands For Is New York Burning?