Morris the Moose

Morris the Moose

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In 1957, Harper published its first I Can Read title, Little Bear, written by Else Holmelund Minarik and illustrated by Maurice Sendak. Large type, simple vocabulary, chapter-like divisions, and decorative pictures made Little Bear perfect for emerging readers
Published April 24th 1989 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 28th 1959)

Jared Burton
Wiseman, Bernard. Morris the Moose. New York, New York: Harper Collins Publishers, 1989.
Genre: Picture book – Fiction
This story is about a moose who hasn’t learned the differences between himself and other individuals. The tree characters all three cannot tell the difference either, they head out to find someone who can tell them the truth about who they are, on their way they stop for a drink of water where they see their selves through the reflection of the water and realize that they are in...more
Leslie Hayden
morris the moose was a great example for kids to learn comparisons and to learn identification. the pages were appropriate length to keep a child's attention and only had pictures relating to the story line. it was a cute book and my daughter sat through the whole thing and tried to read along.
Emily
Morris knows he is a moose and thinks everyone else is a moose also because they all look similar. When Morris meets the cow the cow has a hard time trying to get Morris to understand they are different when they decide to ask someone else. The deer wasn't any help. I used this book to do predictive reading with 2nd graders and by the time the horse came around I was able to cover all of the words on the page and they were able to accurately predict what the text said because it's repetitive. My...more
Jill
Well loved reader for first grade
James Jones
Morris called a cow a moose and they went to a deer and he said that Morris the Moose and the cow were a deer and all those three went to a horse and the horse said "Hey you horses what are those funny things on your head?". They went to the pond and they all noticed they didn't look like each other. Then they all said "You mean that (they are not the same thing as the other persons". Then the cow said "You made a mistake and the moose said "I did not, I made a MOOSEstake."
Becca
Morris the Moose is funny and could use a little help when it comes to life. Any preschool age till about first grade would enjoy Morris' stories. There is very understandable vocabulary and words to be picked out easily. There are also plenty of opportunities to use your best "moose voice" to make your readers chuckle along with you. Would recommend.
Jonathan
This book is very clever and it teachers students again about inclusion. It describes how a moose, a deer, and a horse are confuse each other for their own; a cow ends up being the one that shows the animals that they are different from one another. It teaches students that different people can live in harmony together.
Very cute book. It's funny and children seem to like the story. This would be good to use maybe in a science class when talking about classifying animals. They may seem to be one thing, but really they are something else.
Anna
Its funny how he thinks everybody is a moose and how the deer thinks everybody is a deer. And the horse does. And I like how the horse says, "hi there you horses. What are those silly things on your head?"
Will
At the time finishing this book was the crowning achievement in my literary career... might have had to do with the fact I was 5 and it was the first book I ever read by myself.
Morris the Moose is a great book. It is a good book to show students that not all animals are the same. Could be a good resource in a science lesson.
Heather
Great first reader. Introduced some new letter combination and more difficult words, with lots of repetition for memory. Cute story too.
Roxane
Funny, my son loved it and it is helping him develop his reading skills.
Cami
Morris, thanks for making my kid's first day of first grade go better!
Cute, simple story, with a punny ending--A classic!
Morris
"I loved them drinking the water because they love it."
Ronna
The joke never gets old... for my kids, that is.
Ben
I learned that 6 pennies does not equal a dime.
Molly
It is adorable for little kids.
Theresa
a silly short story
Cws
May 27, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR1-Wis
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Danielle Driggs
Danielle Driggs marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Ashley Bennett
Ashley Bennett marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
  • Oliver
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • Zack's Alligator
  • Fancy Nancy: Spectacular Spectacles
  • The Berenstain Bears on the Moon (Bright & Early Books)
  • Father Bear Comes Home
  • Biscuit
  • Leaf
  • Small Pig
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader, Level 2)
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Henry and Mudge Get the Cold Shivers (Henry and Mudge, #7)
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Pinkalicious: School Rules!
  • Martha doesn't say sorry!
  • Pete the Cat: Pete at the Beach
  • The Runaway Dinner
Morris Goes to School Morris Has a Cold Morris and Boris: Three Stories Morris and Boris at the Circus Christmas With Morris and Boris