Start by marking “Morris the Moose” as Want to Read:
Morris the Moose

Morris the Moose (Morris and Boris)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In 1957, Harper published its first I Can Read title, Little Bear, written by Else Holmelund Minarik and illustrated by Maurice Sendak. Large type, simple vocabulary, chapter-like divisions, and decorative pictures made Little Bear perfect for emerging readers
Published April 24th 1989 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 28th 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Morris the Moose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morris the Moose

Elijah Libert
From Elijah: "Morris needs to be educated. And book was really funny. And Morris called a cow a moose."
Jacqueline Archdeacon
This book is a carefree and funny book! I enjoy how each animal thought the others were the same as their own, only because they each had four legs, a tail, and things on their heads. The book shows children to be accepting of each other's differences and to be open to making mistakes. Each character in the book made a mistake, but they all were OK with their mistakes in the end. The moose even says, "I made a MOOSEtake!"
Jared Burton
Wiseman, Bernard. Morris the Moose. New York, New York: Harper Collins Publishers, 1989.
Genre: Picture book – Fiction
This story is about a moose who hasn’t learned the differences between himself and other individuals. The tree characters all three cannot tell the difference either, they head out to find someone who can tell them the truth about who they are, on their way they stop for a drink of water where they see their selves through the reflection of the water and realize that they are in
Leslie Hayden
morris the moose was a great example for kids to learn comparisons and to learn identification. the pages were appropriate length to keep a child's attention and only had pictures relating to the story line. it was a cute book and my daughter sat through the whole thing and tried to read along.
Copyright 1989, Hardcover "An Early I Can Read Book"

Determined to prove that the cow he meets is really a moose, Morris enlist the help of a rather confused deer and horse.
Allison
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Emily
Morris knows he is a moose and thinks everyone else is a moose also because they all look similar. When Morris meets the cow the cow has a hard time trying to get Morris to understand they are different when they decide to ask someone else. The deer wasn't any help. I used this book to do predictive reading with 2nd graders and by the time the horse came around I was able to cover all of the words on the page and they were able to accurately predict what the text said because it's repetitive. My ...more
Jill
Well loved reader for first grade
James Jones
Morris called a cow a moose and they went to a deer and he said that Morris the Moose and the cow were a deer and all those three went to a horse and the horse said "Hey you horses what are those funny things on your head?". They went to the pond and they all noticed they didn't look like each other. Then they all said "You mean that (they are not the same thing as the other persons". Then the cow said "You made a mistake and the moose said "I did not, I made a MOOSEstake."
Rosa Cline
Morris the Moose books are fun to read with your child (or have them read) His way of thinking is always backward from real life, and always funny. Nice for little guys to laugh and giggle along the story. In this one he comes across a cow and a deer and they all think they are each other...Morris thinks they are weird looking moose, the cow think they are all cows etc.
Becca
Morris the Moose is funny and could use a little help when it comes to life. Any preschool age till about first grade would enjoy Morris' stories. There is very understandable vocabulary and words to be picked out easily. There are also plenty of opportunities to use your best "moose voice" to make your readers chuckle along with you. Would recommend.
Jonathan
This book is very clever and it teachers students again about inclusion. It describes how a moose, a deer, and a horse are confuse each other for their own; a cow ends up being the one that shows the animals that they are different from one another. It teaches students that different people can live in harmony together.
Romaskruse
We have had the Morris the Moose collection for quite a few years now and we continue to go back to them whenever the kids are in the mood for a good laugh. My son will laugh so hard while he reads these that he can't even breath. They are just good for a fun and silly time!
Very cute book. It's funny and children seem to like the story. This would be good to use maybe in a science class when talking about classifying animals. They may seem to be one thing, but really they are something else.
Anna
Its funny how he thinks everybody is a moose and how the deer thinks everybody is a deer. And the horse does. And I like how the horse says, "hi there you horses. What are those silly things on your head?"
Will
At the time finishing this book was the crowning achievement in my literary career... might have had to do with the fact I was 5 and it was the first book I ever read by myself.
Morris the Moose is a great book. It is a good book to show students that not all animals are the same. Could be a good resource in a science lesson.
Heather
Great first reader. Introduced some new letter combination and more difficult words, with lots of repetition for memory. Cute story too.
Roxane
Funny, my son loved it and it is helping him develop his reading skills.
Cami
Morris, thanks for making my kid's first day of first grade go better!
Cute, simple story, with a punny ending--A classic!
Morris
"I loved them drinking the water because they love it."
Ronna
The joke never gets old... for my kids, that is.
Ben
I learned that 6 pennies does not equal a dime.
Molly
It is adorable for little kids.
Theresa
a silly short story
Cws
May 27, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR1-Wis
Lulu
Lulu marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
  • Oliver
  • Fancy Nancy: Spectacular Spectacles
  • Zack's Alligator
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • Chicken And Cat Clean Up
  • Charlie the Ranch Dog: Where's the Bacon?
  • The Runaway Dinner
  • Jazz on a Saturday Night
  • Egg Drop
  • Small Pig
  • Martha doesn't say sorry!
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader, Level 2)
  • Mr. Putter And Tabby Bake The Cake
  • Leaf
  • The Berenstain Bears on the Moon (Bright & Early Books)
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • No More Monsters for Me!

Morris and Boris (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Morris Is a Cowboy
  • Morris Goes to School
  • Morris and Boris: Three Stories
  • Halloween with Morris and Boris
  • Morris Has a Cold
  • Morris Tells Boris Mother Moose Stories And Rhymes
  • Christmas With Morris and Boris
  • Morris Has a Birthday Party!
  • Morris and Boris at the Circus
  • Morris and Boris at the Playground
Morris Goes to School Morris Has a Cold Morris and Boris: Three Stories Morris and Boris at the Circus Christmas With Morris and Boris