Start by marking “Le Bouclier Arverne (Astérix #11)” as Want to Read:
Le Bouclier Arverne (Astérix #11)

Le Bouclier Arverne (Astérix #11)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  4,399 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Nous sommes en 1959, en plein mois d'août. Dans une cité HLM de Bobigny, aux portes de Paris, deux auteurs de bande dessinée s'épongent le front. Pas seulement à cause de la chaleur estivale : les deux compères suent sang et eau pour trouver une idée de personnage. Il leur faut être prêts pour le premier numéro de Pilote, un nouveau magazine pour les jeunes dont la parutio ...more
Board book, 44 pages
Published July 1979 by Dargaud (first published June 15th 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Le Bouclier Arverne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Bouclier Arverne

Gavin
Oct 07, 2015 Gavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, funny, cartoon
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This one features Asterix, Obelix and Chief Vitalstatistix, on an adventure, our heroes take their beloved chief to a Hydro Spa in the countryside, near Gergovia, as he's got some intestinal issues...
While touring, they meet a Roman envoy, who gets smacked, and a coal merchant named Winesandspirix. There's a connection between the new friend and their chief, but not known to anyone yet.
Meanwhile, the envoy meets with Caesar, who decides he doesn't like the natives of that particular area gettin
Armin Hennig
Sep 17, 2016 Armin Hennig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Der Lieblingsasterix meiner Kinderzeit.
Vanja Antonijevic
Dec 28, 2007 Vanja Antonijevic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent comic, at #11. One of the more historically involved Asterix additions.

The Wiki summary:

"The book is inspired by the battle of Alesia, where the Gaulish warrior chief Vercingetorix surrendered to Julius Caesar. However, only the very end of the actual battle appears in the book - the main plot concerns what happened after the battle.

The book begins with Vercingetorix conceding his defeat to Julius Caesar. He throws his weapons at Caesar's feet - or rather, on Caesar's feet. In pain
Helmut
Nov 27, 2014 Helmut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FDH und Kneipp
Das Leben eines urwüchsigen Galliers ist nicht besonders gesund. Fettes Schwein in dicker Sauce, viel Cervisia, und wenn man dann noch den ganzen Tag auf einem Schild herumgetragen wird und daher Bewegungsmangel aufweist, kann es schnell passieren, dass die Leber nicht mehr mitspielt. So geschieht es zumindest Abraracourcix, dem Häuptling unseres gallischen Dorfs. Zum Glück ist fast ganz Gallien von den Römern besetzt, und diese haben ihre Thermenkultur mitgebracht. Wechselduschen
Jacques le fataliste et son maître
È la storia di una quest imprevista (la cerca dello scudo di Vercingetorige), ma a tenere insieme il racconto è anche il tema del cibo e dei rapporti squilibrati con esso: dalla ghiottoneria che costa la salute al capo Abraracourcix al duro regime di dieta a cui è costretto nello stabilimento termale in cui si reca a curarsi, dalla reazione degli altri pazienti di fronte ai pasti “normali” di Asterix e Obelix alle specialità dell’Arvernia. Quanto il cibo sia importante in questa storia lo dimost ...more
Chris
Nov 21, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Another wonderful funny adventure with Asterix and Co. Watch hiding out! Watch bathing! Watch boar hunting!

Love those names.
Pilar Erika
A good translation from the original in French.
I really enjoyed and loved seeing Astérix and all the characters of the comic speaking in Latin . A real pleasure .
David Sarkies
Aug 25, 2013 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
The conflict between progress and the ideal
25 August 2013

I didn't like this particular album as much as I did the others, though the story was still quite good, particularly with the rather interesting twist at the end. Actually there are a few twists in this story, and it does take time for the actually plot of the story, that is the quest for the shield of Vercingetorix, to come to fruition. Basically, after Vercingetorix threw his arms and armour at Ceaser's feet (which ended up being quite
Sophie
Dec 23, 2016 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the best Astérix stories. And this has nothing to do with the fact that it's set where I'm from. Nope. Not at all.
Vasco Ribeiro
Sep 06, 2014 Vasco Ribeiro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
História: O chefe (nesta edição Matasétix)ficou com dores de estômago num dos tradicionais grandes banquetes da aldeia. O Druida manda-o ir para as termas em Aquae calidae (vichy), na região de arverne. Obélix e astérix acompanham-no mas como não se submetem ao mesmo regime de legumes, são expulsos das termas pelos doentes. Vão então visitar a região, incuindo gergóvia (porque Alesia, sítio em que os gauleses foram derrotados, ninguém conhece). encontram um enviado pessoal de Júlio César e batem ...more
Hruotland
Apr 24, 2016 Hruotland rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: Übersetzungen
Eine Szene in diesem Band hat mir den Spaß an Asterix insgesamt gründlich verdorben.

Ich meine das »Hausmitteilungssystem« in der Räderfabrik, Seiten 28–31. Die entwürdigende, stereotype Darstellung der afrikanischen Sklaven ist schlimmer als das Blackface der Minstrel Shows. Es ist klar, das niemand die versklavten Boten je als Menschen gesehen hat. In der Geschichte weder die Sklavenhalter noch Obelix, und eindeutig weder Goscinny noch Uderzo, und auch die Redaktion nicht, die das hat durchgehe
Hoani
Mar 29, 2011 Hoani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why I decided to read this book:
I was in the library on friday afternoon and I wanted something light to read, also I enjoy Asterix and Oblix novels.

Which category on the bingo board this completes:
A graphic novel (I think, please tell me if I am wrong)

What I like about this book and why:
I liked how factual this book is for example The book is inspired by the battle of Alesia, where the Gaulish warrior chief Vercingetorix surrendered to Julius Caesar. I also like how easy and enjoyable the book
Krishnendu
Jun 08, 2011 Krishnendu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: asterix, comics
Of all the asterix books that I have read till date, this one will not be at the top of the list.. the storyline was a bit monotonous.

what I like about all the asterix books was also present in this book like the description of the places, the small small technical humors (e.g. the intercom system in this book), the funny depictions of the events, the sketches. So I give this book three stars.

Overall a good and enjoyable book to read at leisure like all the other asterix comics

Miund
Jul 25, 2007 Miund rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my favorite part is the state-of-the-art 'intercom' system. HAHAHAHAHAAHAAKHK! been reading Asterix since i was in grade school, but i've only read the Indonesian version of Asterix comics when i was already in college. my mother used to get me the english version which was terribly funny. the Indonesian version, however, needed some adjusting in my brains. but it was as funny (if not funnier) especially if you have enough Sundanese language understanding because apparently the translator was a ...more
Frahorus
Apr 01, 2015 Frahorus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fumetti, asterix
Altro capolavoro di Goscinny & Uderzo, altra mitica avventura di Asterix & Obelix. Stavolta i nostri eroi accompagnano il loro capo Abraracourcix alle terme per fare una drastica cura e per mettersi in salute, visto che beve e mangia senza limiti. Ma da qui inizia una nuova avventura, infatti scoprono che Cesare vuole umiliare gli Arverni e per evitarlo Asterix & Obelix vanno alla ricerca del mitico scudo di Vercingetorige.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story starts with a Gaul chieftain surrendering and giving Caesar his shield. Vital Statistix, the chieftain of the village, is ill from eating and drinking too much and he has to go on a diet and journey to a health spa to see Diagnostic, a druid.

Asterix and Obelix go along. At the same time, Caesar wants the first chieftain's shield but it has been stolen and lost and so on. It turns out that the shield already belongs to Vital Statistix. Moderately funny.
Mathieu
Jul 29, 2011 Mathieu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Episode qui fait cette fois, la part belle à Abraracourcix, envoyé en cure thermale suite à une crise de foie (qui fournit le prétexte à des scènes de gueuleton à léguer à la science) et que nos héros accompagnent.

S'en suit le développement d'un récit, tout entier centré sur l'histoire du bouclier de Vercingétorix (le vainqueur de Gergovie)

Une chose de sûre, ce n'est pas avec cet album qu'on apprendra où se trouve Alésia parce que : "ALESIA ? CONNAIS PAS ALESIA !"
Bruce
Jul 15, 2010 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Asterix the Chieftain's Shield – Turns out Chief Vitalstatistix has been riding around on Vercingetorix’ forfeited shield; what alternate proof can Caesar use in a Gaulish triumph?
My Uncovered books
Une BD pleine d’humeur avec des références historiques qui enrichissent l’histoire et l’univers même d’Astérix et Obélix.

Chonrique compléte sur mon blog: https://myuncoveredbooks.wordpress.co...
Linda Hall
May 28, 2014 Linda Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME!!! There is nothing that comes close to Asterix - I have the whole series, both on e-books and hard-copy and they are some of most treasured possessions. I grew up with them and they are simply the best!
Elynn
Apr 03, 2008 Elynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
his series was originally written in French. My brother (who spent some time there) brought back the English translations when I was young and even though I didn't really understand all of the humor, I loved them.
Steef
May 16, 2014 Steef rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: strips, nederlands
Maar drie sterren. Wel goede parodieën en grappen, maar zodra je al weet dat de vreemdeling die het schild kreeg Abraracoursix was, verliest de slot zijn kracht. Minder goed herleesbaar dan de meeste Asterix episodes dus.
Yves
Aug 30, 2011 Yves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd
C'est jusqu'ici un des Astérix que j'ai trouvé le plus rigolo. Juste la partie sur les douleurs aux foie du chef m'a fait énormément rire. Pour ce qui est de l'histoire, il n'y a rien à dire à part le fait qu'elle est assez simple. Ce fut un plaisir de lire cette BD.
Joyce
Nov 27, 2012 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I had a hunch how this adventure would end, but what I didn't know was the exclusive look I'd get into Gaulish methods for treating liver damage from excessive food and drink. Very insightful and educational.

Karhum Ghassan
Nov 20, 2012 Karhum Ghassan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never knew that Asterix never knew about the chief was always standing on it hahahaha I don't know even if chieftain is a word........... I don't really understand the first page but I got to understand it more after I was at the end of the book.
Devero
Dec 21, 2013 Devero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ecco un'altra delle migliori avventure di Asterix e Obelix, decisamente divertente, che illustra il motivo per cui, da quell'evento, nessuno sa più dove sia Alesia.
Una discreta presa in giro di alcune idiosincrasie francesi, tra le altre cose.
Murshidul
Apr 19, 2014 Murshidul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chief Vitalstatistix is ill. It's another of brilliant ones from Goscinny. Laughter, wine, boar, shield, and treatment. A laughing hurts none
Lakatos István
Feb 04, 2014 Lakatos István rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eddig talán ez a legjobb,és nagyon tetszett, hogy a fő sztori nem a legelején bukkan fel mint megoldandó probléma, hanem egy teljesen más alaphelyzetből alakul ki.
Red
Mar 10, 2014 Red rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
by coincidence during my last visit to france i was in the place were it all supposed to have been taken place.
the defeat of the gauls by the romans.
all gauls? no no no etc.
Edward Davies
Sep 05, 2015 Edward Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Asterix's search for a stolen shield is fun and filled with historical gags that might go over the heads of most children but will garner smiles from older readers in the know.
Goodreads Librari...: Inaccurate book description 3 26 Jan 09, 2015 05:51AM
  • Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)
  • Explorers on the Moon (Tintin, #17)
  • Le Nid des Marsupilamis (Spirou et Fantasio, #12)
  • The Complete Guide To Asterix
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix
More about René Goscinny...

Astérix (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Astérix #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)