Start by marking “Great Fortune: The Epic of Rockefeller Center” as Want to Read:
Great Fortune: The Epic of Rockefeller Center

Great Fortune: The Epic of Rockefeller Center

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In this hugely appealing book, a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize, acclaimed author and journalist Daniel Okrent weaves together themes of money, politics, art, architecture, business, and society to tell the story of the majestic suite of buildings that came to dominate the heart of midtown Manhattan and with it, for a time, the heart of the world. At the center of Okrent? ...more
Published November 30th 2004 by Penguin Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Great Fortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Fortune

Elizabeth Milnarik
Currently, we seem to be having a minor blossoming of popular books on architectural history, and I think this book sets the standard. It is interesting, compelling and factually correct.

Kathleen Hulser
Excellent blend of urbanism, architecture, social commentary. The portrait of the irascible Lewis Mumford is hilarious: Note his reaction to the beloved vertical setbacks of 30 Rock " the little scratchy tooth marks the mice have left in their cheese." Another newspaper bluntly characterized the popular music hall: "Radio City is ugly." Ray Hood really gets his due here, but this is an account that balances attention to architecture with a good sense of place. He details the fight between the ch ...more
Alex'ra
Okrent spins a killer yarn out of the story of Rockefeller Center.
Stephen
I loved this book!

I have always loved Rockefeller Center, so when I found this book in a used bookstore years ago, I was all over it. I started it, got bogged down, and stopped not very far into it. So when I sat down with it again a couple months ago, I was determined.

As I got going, the book sucked me in more and more. While it's definitely a dense account with lots of characters, information, and history, I found myself learning a lot. Okrent has a talent for making the Center come alive in y
Frank Stein

Chatty but good. The author goes a little too much for "setting the mood" with an obnoxious kind of noirish patter, but it is an amazing story...how a colonial garden became Columbia University land became the world's biggest office complex, how an original idea for a new Metropolitan Opera house morphed into a massive stage for gaudy kick-lines and radio shows.

I also had no idea just how famous this place was at the time. It was basically the only private building going on anywhere in America
Daniela
I feel remiss reviewing a book I didn't finish reading, but I just left a book club meeting where none of the EIGHT people in my book club were able to get through this book. This is a book club which has been in place since 1999 and its rare that one person doesn't finish the book. We have never encountered a situation where no one read it.

It read like a text book. I thought it would be an interesting story about the architecture like DEVIL IN WHITE CITY, which we all loved. But, alas. Not.

Jeramey
I've only visited Rockefeller Center once, so it was at times difficult to arrange everything in my mind (that the author describes). It's clear, however, that Okrent did a great job of including everything one could reasonably want to know about the building in this book. It's park Rockefeller family history, part buildings history, and all New York City.

For whatever reason, it took me a lot longer to read than a normal book of its page count (low 400's).
Sam Schulman
Despite some weakness on the subject of boxwood, an amazing accomplishment in urban history-writing. An exciting narrative that still combines the history of business, of real estate development, of academic intrigue, of legal history, of the entertainment industry, of the Rockefeller fortune and of course a masterful command of architecture and design. One of the few great books about NYC.
Steven Ujifusa
Okrent really captures the epic nature of this story with vivid detail, and the research is impressive. Some colloquial phrases in the text present a few jarring notes, but the main characters (Roxy, Junior, Nelson Rockefeller, Sarnoff, Nicholas Murray Butler) are well-portrayed, warts and all.
Stella
Jul 24, 2010 Stella is currently reading it
So far an extremely fun read, with lots of personal details about many of the larger-than-life types of folks involved in the creation of Rockefeller Center. I've kind of taken a hiatus from reading this for the moment, as it is a VAST book, and my Kindle is much smaller.
Katie
May 27, 2011 Katie is currently reading it
This book has got a lot of "characters," making it harder to follow than some other non-fiction I've read. However, its pretty awesome to walk around NYC and suddenly figure out what buildings the author is talking about! It makes the book really come to life.
Some early chapters move a bit slow as everyone is introduced, including their roles and background/qualifications, but it picks up quickly as the building moves from planning to building. Almost too many people to keep track of, but still a great read.
Joyce
Apr 17, 2010 Joyce rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bob
This took me a long time to read, but it was really worthwhile. Some many fascinating stories, power play,s and the historical context. Now I need to spend a day walking around Rockefeller Center to see it with different eyes.
Ambfolibrary
Card Inside: " A 2004 summer reading list selection with our compliments JP Morgan Private Bank"
Kyle Smalling
Couldn't finish, just a little too dry. Seems well-written, just slow to get into.
Rachel
A good history of the development of the Rockefeller Center.
Alex Nagler
On a building and the people who made it
Paul Pauciulo
Excellent history of 20th century Manhattan
Tracey Sinclair
Excellent, well-researched and highly readable.
Sara
Jul 27, 2007 Sara is currently reading it
so far I can't put this book down!
Tracey
Oct 04, 2011 Tracey marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended-tcpl, nyc
SDMB recco: Exapno Mapcase
Dustin Joyce
Dustin Joyce marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Daniel Doyon
Daniel Doyon marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Aga Artka
Aga Artka marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Matt Camp
Matt Camp marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Eggroll
Eggroll marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Dennis McCrea
Dennis McCrea marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
  • Conquering Gotham: A Gilded Age Epic: The Construction of Penn Station and Its Tunnels
  • Twilight at the World of Tomorrow : Genius, Madness, Murder, and the 1939 World's Fair on the Brink of  War
  • Rogues' Gallery: The Secret Story of the Lust, Lies, Greed, and Betrayals That Made the Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • Five Points: The Nineteenth-Century New York City Neighborhood That Invented Tap Dance, Stole Elections and Became the World's Most Notorious Slum
  • Downtown: My Manhattan
  • 722 Miles: The Building of the Subways and How They Transformed New York
  • A Walker in the City
  • Higher: A Historic Race to the Sky and the Making of a City
  • New York
  • The Invention of Brownstone Brooklyn: Gentrification and the Search for Authenticity in Postwar New York
  • Dinner with Churchill: Policy-Making at the Dinner Table
  • The Historical Atlas of New York City: A Visual Celebration of Nearly 400 Years of New York City's History
  • Five Faces of Modernity
  • The Devil's Playground: A Century of Pleasure and Profit in Times Square
  • Dry Manhattan: Prohibition in New York City
  • New York Burning: Liberty, Slavery, and Conspiracy in Eighteenth-Century Manhattan
  • Masters of Mystery: The Strange Friendship of Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini
  • The Big Book of the Unexplained
Daniel Okrent's 40-year career has encompassed nearly every form of mass media. In book publishing, he was an editor at Knopf, Viking, and Harcourt. In magazines, he founded the award-winning New England Monthly and was chief editor of the monthly Life. In newspapers, he was the first public editor of the New York Times. On television, he has appeared as an expert commentator on many network shows ...more
More about Daniel Okrent...
Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition Nine Innings: The Anatomy of a Baseball Game Baseball Anecdotes The Ultimate Baseball Book Our Times: The Illustrated History of the 20th Century