Beginning to Pray

Beginning to Pray

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  44 reviews
"The realm of God is dangerous. You must enter into it and not seek information about it...The day when God is absent, when he is silent-that is the beginning of prayer." -- Archbishop Anthony BloomA remarkable book, written by a remarkable man. Archbishop Anthony Bloom -- French resistance fighter, army surgeon, Russian Orthodox monk -- gave the talks in this book to peop...more
Paperback, Large Print, 160 pages
Published February 1st 1986 by Christian Large Print (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Beginning to Pray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginning to Pray

Tom
Accessible but not simplistic. A welcome and far cry from the rote spiritual pablum I was raised on regarding prayer in daily life. Bloom explains that prayer starts (and often ends) in silence, an attitude that echoes much I've read about meditation.

My favorite passage describes an elderly French peasant who spends hours on end every day sitting quietly in the village church, apparently doing nothing. Perplexed, the priest finally asks the old man what he's doing. He replies, "I look at Him, He...more
Nate
Good book about one Orthodox bishop's reflections on prayer. Very personal, very honest. He had a strong emphasis on encountering God in doubt and darkness, especially when all of our formulations and images of God fail to match with reality. I appreciate the fact that he recognizes that sometimes God doesn't show up, and sometimes we have to wrestle with him in order to reach him. It's a real relationship, and prayer isn't just saying set prayers, nor is it just talking to God as if he were our...more
Theron Mathis
Beginning to Pray is a wonderful little book that is simple to read and opens up a world of prayer that is a beautiful encounter with God. Met. Bloom writes very complex ideas into truly simple and wonderful language. There is a sense that Met. Bloom truly knows what it means to pray. The following link will give more info about Met. Bloom.

It is difficult to summarize so much that the book presents. In fact, there are so many nuggets of truth, I imagine multiple readings over time would enhance...more
Elizabeth White
This is a hard one to rate. I would give it 5 stars if you're evaluating it as a book for new Orthodox Christians who need an introduction to the Orthodox mind on prayer - fewer stars if recommending it for the one who is further along in knowledge and spiritual growth. I personally cherished this book when I first read it many years ago. And now, as is a habit of mine, I go back every once in a while to books such as this to remind myself of the basics.
James Maxon
Anthony Bloom offers some unique and personal observations on prayer. Whether you follow Orthodoxy or not you are bound to come away with a better foundation in your own prayer life.
Julie Davis
Rereading this one for the Elements of Faith book club. It's a little earlier than I usually read our books ... preferring to finish right before a meeting ... but I've got to pass this on to Hannah so she can take a bash at it.

I've read this at least twice before and always get something good out of it.

UPDATE
I have lent this to Hannah so she can read it ... and I will reread it super-fast during the week before our meeting (fingers crossed!).

UPDATE 2
Back from Hannah who liked it a lot and now b...more
Matt
It can be so easy to just keep skirting the surface of prayer; this book is a call, a reminder, to go deeper. To "be still and know that I am God."

However, true prayer takes effort. "Being still" is not something we come to naturally, especially in our modern world full of distractions. We must work at it, yet that work must be aimed correctly, otherwise we are just spinning our wheels. So, this book also gives practical exercises to begin trying.

But, in the end, the author emphasizes, prayer is...more
Nikola Knežević
Essential book for beginners in prayer. Turns out that prayer is much more difficult than it seems. All the wisdom on prayer you can hear from Fr. Anthony cannot be absorbed at once, so it is necessary to re-read this little book from time to time.
Armando Arauz
Recommended by Cardinal Timothy Collins. Very straightforward approach, short and precise. It helped me to be more intentional in my prayer.
Lindi Axon
Eastern Orthodox. Very good.
Ben
A simple, ambling, poorly edited, pamphlet of a book that is absolutely chocked full of seriously good stuff. I almost didn't even pay attention the first time I read this as I realized I needed to just simple finish it and then go back and mediate on it bit by bit. This is condensed chicken soup for the soul. Admittedly though, in my life I was positioned perfectly in terms of need and desire for a book such as this one when I ran across it.
Adam Shields
Full review at http://bookwi.se/beginning-to-pray-by...

Short Review: I am in a project of reading about prayer from other traditions. I found this book very valuable. It is short but full of lots of wisdom about prayer. Clearly Bloom is writing from a Orthodox perspective and that different perspective gave me some new language to describe and think about prayer. I am planning on re-reading this in another six months.
Stephanie
Fantastic! It is when we realize that we are standing outside, in the realm of mercy, that we meet God through prayer. Anthony Bloom beautifully describes the inward progression to a deeper, richer relationship with God through prayer and stillness. This touched me on many levels and brought floods of memory and emotion back to the surface of times when God met me in the deepest trough of sorrow and bathed me in his mercy.
David Withun
A short and simply amazing book. For Orthodox Christians, a wonderful guide for developing your relationship with God. For non-Orthodox, a beautiful and concise introduction to the Orthodox spiritual life. This book should be one of the first books that inquirers, catechumens, and other interested parties read when coming to the Orthodox Church. If your friends ask you about Orthodoxy -- hand them this book.
Mike
Just finished this this morning. I read it for my quiet time/devotions. It wasn't too bad. I forget sometimes when reading more modern books how I like subtitles in the text. These pages are straight text and really no breakdowns of topics, besides the chapters themselves.

I would recommend it for those who are seeking some more depth to their prayer life.
Betsy Dion
This is an awesome book about prayer. It is simple and profound, and full of stirring images that remain with me after reading. The author is an Orthodox archbishop who fled Russia as a child, and lived in France and England. If you want something that will help you to improve your prayer life, read this book.
MVV
A book to study. Not a book to read over lightly.
Ian
A down to earth, practical, and helpful look at prayer, and how to pray (which can often be ignored / glossed over). Unfortunately it's a bit short and you can't help but read it really fervently, but definitely worth a look. I just wish he had elaborated further on his thoughts on the subject.
Ben
This book penetrated the depths of my soul. The wisdom of Anthony's words is tangible. Eat what he says--let it pervade your entire being and well up a desire within you to live ever before the face of God. Quite simply, this is the best book on prayer that I have ever read.

It is a must read.
Allison Rockwell
I was hoping to maybe use this text for high school Sunday School lessons on prayer, but it might be a bit beyond their grasp, at least in whole. Bloom makes wonderful points and indicates many things that I intend to try in my own prayer life.
Amy
Highly recommend this book for anyone looking to develop their ability to pray. It is written for Orthodox Christians but I think it would appeal to others as well. I read one chapter at a sitting and found it a deep and moving read.
Jocelyn
I have read this book multiple times. This time I read it once and then I read it again right away. The driving question behind this book is how can we communicate with God when we are human and God is God?
Fr. Ted
I've read this book 4 times and find it enlightening each time I read it. Good insights into what it means to be a Christian and to pray. Excellent anecdotes which help us to see prayer in a new way.
Mimi
The best book on drawing closer to God I have ever read. Beautifully written and filled with quiet wisdom. Not the first time I have read it, and it won't be the last either. Just brilliant.
Chris Stevenson
Mar 09, 2013 Chris Stevenson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mimi
This is a fantastic book on prayer. Just because it's short doesn't mean it's not powerful. I would advise anyone to read this book if they want to take their prayer life to the next level.
Michelle Bodle
Wonderful short book about what it means to truly connect to God in prayer. Insights I have not read or heard anywhere else.
Joel Snape
Probably the best book on prayer I have ever read. I especially like his focus on encountering God in everyday life, and his suggestions for bettering prayer.
Stefanie Jordan
I am a cradle Orthodox and have been praying for years...but, this book was wonderful and definitely an addition to my "must read again" book shelf!
Olive Chan
I read this twice. For anyone who wants to learn about prayer in a way that is deeper than merely talking to God, this is an excellent book.
Maggie
Looooved. 100 pages of challenge & inspiration. I didn't know a 40-year-old book written by an Eastern Orthodox priest could do this to me.
Orthodoxy: BTP: Absence of God 10 19 Dec 18, 2013 05:10PM
Orthodoxy: BTP: Staretz Silhouan 1 7 Sep 22, 2013 05:39AM
Orthodoxy: BTP: Addressing God 1 3 Sep 22, 2013 05:37AM
  • The Orthodox Way
  • Great Lent: Journey to Pascha
  • Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father: Being the Narratives Compiled by the Servant of God Alexander Concerning His Spiritual Father
  • The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • The Philokalia, Volume 2: The Complete Text; Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain & St. Markarios of Corinth
  • John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent (The Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives:  The Life and Teachings of Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
  • Becoming Orthodox: A Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith
  • On the Divine Images
  • Everyday Saints and Other Stories
  • The Way of a Pilgrim and the Pilgrim Continues His Way
  • Facing East: A Pilgrim's Journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy
  • The Sayings of the Desert Fathers: The Alphabetical Collection (Cistercian studies 59)
  • On the Apostolic Preaching
  • The Life of Moses
  • Early Christian Writings: The Apostolic Fathers
  • Being as Communion: Studies in Personhood and the Church
Metropolitan Anthony (Bloom) of Sourozh was a prominent writer and broadcaster on prayer and the Christian life, as well as the founder and leader of the Russian Orthodox Diocese of Sourozh.
More about Anthony Bloom...
Living Prayer Courage To Pray God And Man Meditations on a Theme Metropolitan Anthony of Sourozh: Essential Writings

“To pluck a flower means to take possession of it, and it also means to kill it.” 7 likes