Start by marking “Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas” as Want to Read:
Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
Preview

Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"All that have ever tried to impose change in their organization will immediately recognize and truly value the in-depth knowledge and experience captured in this book. It contains a collection of eye-openers that is a treasure chest for pioneers of new organizational ideas, A fantastic toolbox for use in future missions!"
--Lise B. Hvatum, product development manager, Schl
Published October 1st 2004 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published September 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Fearless Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fearless Change

Drive by Daniel H. PinkManagement 3.0 by Jurgen AppeloBehind Closed Doors by Johanna RothmanThe Lean Startup by Eric RiesSwitch by Chip Heath
Management 3.0 Recommended Books
12th out of 59 books — 19 voters
The Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntThe C Programming Language by Brian W. KernighanDesign Patterns by Erich GammaStructure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold AbelsonCode Complete by Steve McConnell
Essential Programming Books
86th out of 112 books — 260 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike
Mark Twain, Issac Newton, Vincent Van Gogh, Anne Frank, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King: In Fearless Change voices from the past are assembled in chorus to extol the virtues of innovative middle management. Our two authors, like Rilkian angels, don't know whether it is the living they are moving among, or the dead; they reside in that immortal space as manifested by the corporation. There are quotes everywhere from anybody in this book. In one rather short paragraph three quotes from three s ...more
Jason Roselander
I heard the authors speak at an event and found them thoroughly engaging, which lead me to try to read Fearless Change, although I really can't find anything to recommend it.

The "patterns" are, with a few exceptions, beyond obvious. Here are a few sections that would lose nothing if you reduced them to the title alone: "Ask for help," "Brown Bag," "Do Food," "e-Forum," "Involve everyone," "Just do it."

In the "Do Food" pattern, you will learn the following: "Usually a meeting is just another ordi
Patrick
One of the main job of a consultant is to drive change. From individuals to organizations, we're asked to make peoples' jobs different through helping them try new technologies, alter their processes, or adopt new habits. Ironically, people who hire us often don't want to change themselves. They want different outcomes without actually doing anything differently. What makes our job difficult is helping them despite themselves.

Enter Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas. This book t
Amy Gilchrist Thorne
I think this book is probably useful to keep in mind if you're trying to bring about organizational change.

I agree that it's not necessarily great to read through, and many of the patterns can seem obvious. But often, that's how patterns books can be. The best part comes later, when you're trying to do whatever the pattern book is about, and can come back to it as a reference for ideas.

Some like "Do Food" and "Brown Bag" might be obvious, but I can imagine scenarios where having this book around
Ann
Good reference to have on hand. Something I will be referring back to in future.

Helpful to have things broken down into roles and bite size chunks that you can dip into and out of. Certainly helped stimulate thoughts and plans for the current project I'm working on.

Though clearly marketed at the tech sector, it feels a bit generic and out of date. But I do like that it is written in a clear style, with limited jargon or over the top "business speak".
Kristjan Wager
Many of us have faced the challenges of introducing new ideas to an organization, leading many people to stop trying to do so. Instead of doing that, it might be worth reading Fearless Change.

Fearless Change gives the reader some great patterns for successfully introducing changes to organizations, and also tells the reader that some times they have to leave the actual job of doing so to others.

The only problem I had with the book, is that while it does go into how some people are not the right
Marcin
This is a first non-software patterns book that I read and for that it has given me a very interesting insight into the world of patterns and their wider appeal. I like the patterns listed in the book as they form a useful language to use when discussing change, at times, they feel too generic to give specific solutions and that's OK. Some mini-cases and examples of use felt a little bit weak, more a narrative that for me didn't always add much value.
I will be going back to the book.
Ariadna73
Fearless Change gives the reader advice on what to write and how to answer to some of the most common situations faced when trying to introduce change in organizations. It is useful for those whose work is to help organizations improve what they are doing while they think they are doing great. All of us know how change is difficult and how nobody wants to change. This book gives some recipes to face the challenge and lead to change in the organization.
Bressain Dinkelman
I kind of wish the book was either laid out like just a patterns book or just a story-based book instead of both in separate sections. That said, the patterns are useful and worth reviewing any time you want to affect change in an organization.
Christophe Addinquy
Feb 22, 2014 Christophe Addinquy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: oragnizational coaches
Recommended to Christophe by: Laurent Sarrazin
Shelves: stoos, agile, coaching
Riggs
Mar 10, 2010 Riggs added it
Änderungen in Organisationen - Pattern zur Vorbereitung, Durchführung, Unterstützung, ...
Fokus ganz klar auf Soft-Skills.
Wayne
Elegant presentation and application of Pattern Language structure, i.e.: Christopher Alaxander
Leonkap
smorgasbord of the pretty much unrelated pitches
Marylynn
This is *my* book! :-)
Eddo Kloosterman
Eddo Kloosterman is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015
Pauli Kongas
Pauli Kongas marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Michelle Mason
Michelle Mason marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Damien
Damien is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2015
Andy Fleener
Andy Fleener marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Catalysts
Catalysts marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Chaunel C
Chaunel C marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Tanya Tokareva
Tanya Tokareva marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
J. Calvin
J. Calvin marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Allan
Allan marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Niklas Gerdt
Niklas Gerdt marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Jill
Jill added it
Mar 28, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
  • Agile Coaching
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit for Software Development Managers
  • Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management
  • How to Change the World: Change Management 3.0
  • Agile Software Development
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Bridging the Communication Gap: Specification by Example and Agile Acceptance Testing
  • The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • Ship It!
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Becoming a Technical Leader: An Organic Problem-Solving Approach
  • Agile Project Management with Scrum
More Fearless Change: Strategies for Making Your Ideas Happen Pedagogical Patterns: Advice for Educators

“overselling” 0 likes
“What are you doing?” “Can’t you see? I’m sawing down this tree.” “You look exhausted! How long have you been at it?” “Over five hours, and I’m beat! This is hard work.” “Well, why don’t you take a break and sharpen that saw? I’m sure it would go a lot faster.” “I don’t have time to sharpen the saw. I’m too busy sawing!”[*]” 0 likes