Start by marking “Seeing What's Next: Using the Theories of Innovation to Predict Industry Change” as Want to Read:
Seeing What's Next: Using the Theories of Innovation to Predict Industry Change

Seeing What's Next: Using the Theories of Innovation to Predict Industry Change

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,634 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Every day, individuals take action based on how they believe innovation will change industries. Yet these beliefs are largely based on guesswork and incomplete data and lead to costly errors in judgment. Now, internationally renowned innovation expert Clayton M. Christensen and his research partners Scott D. Anthony and Erik A. Roth present a groundbreaking framework for p ...more
Published September 21st 2004 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Seeing What's Next, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeing What's Next

The Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesStock Market Edges by Philip ReschkeThe Stock Market Outsider by Philip FanaraMargin of Safety by Seth A. KlarmanActive Value Investing by Vitaliy N. Katsenelson
Useful Books for Investing
42nd out of 44 books — 35 voters
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieInfluence by Robert B. CialdiniThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe Personal MBA by Josh KaufmanThinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
The Personal MBA - 99 Best Business Books
110th out of 120 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Nick
Feb 03, 2008 Nick rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Skip this book, read this paper instead:

If there was a ChangeThis Manifesto for Clayton Christensen's Seeing What's Next, this post at Harvard Business School's Working Knowledge would be it. This paper explains why (but not using these exact examples) Net Neutrality should be allowed to exists, why RIAA/MPAA will die off, why NBC and Universal's Hulu service is destined to fail.
RS'S
Nov 18, 2015 RS'S rated it really liked it
good! good!
Kent
Perhaps my rating should be slightly less than OK, but that doesn't exist in the stars. Listening was tedious and I could not get past about 70% of the way through. I finally asked myself why I was forcing my self to allow this background noise that did not hold my interest. I shut it down. The points made in this book about distinguishing signals from noise, positioning organizations for response to threats and opportunities and the challenges faced by organizations due to size and resource lim ...more
Sundarraj Kaushik
Dec 07, 2014 Sundarraj Kaushik rated it liked it
Seeing What's Next by Clayton Christensen, Scott D. Anthony, Erik A. Roth
After having covered the Dilemma of the Innovators and having provided solution to the Innovators, in this book Clayton Christensen provides answers to the external world on how they should assess the company's ability and capability to disrupt. As the title indicates it helps an outsider See What's Next.
The book takes the Telecom Industry as the pivot and analyses how the different players have succeeded or failed in a mar
Oghenovo Obrimah
Jun 03, 2015 Oghenovo Obrimah rated it really liked it
For someone interested in learning more about the science and art of innovation, "Seeing What's Next..." is a good book. The notion of "disruptive innovation" clearly is a relevant approach to thinking about innovation. This book suffers, however, from a flaw that afflicts most books on innovation or strategy, which is there really does not exist any well defined quantitative structure for implementing disruptive innovation. As a financial economist, I have yet to find a book on innovation or st ...more
Robert
Jul 25, 2008 Robert rated it it was amazing
Seeing What’s Next: Using Theories of Innovation to Predict Industry Change
Clayton M. Christensen, Scott D. Anthony, and Erik A. Roth
Harvard Business School Press

According to Christensen, "While the two previous books [i.e. The Innovator's Dilemma and The Innovator's Solution] were aimed at managers inside firms who wanted to defend again or attack with a disruption, Seeing What's Next is written for those who watch industries from the outside, and who must make important decisions based on what
Thomas Burky
Highly recommended! This text is the third in the innovation management series featuring Clayton Christensen and associates. As with the Innovator's Dilemma and the Innovator's Solution, this is a text that you buy, mark up and keep for future reference. Every section of this book is loaded with actionable guidance in developing investment, business and product strategy.
\n
\nClayton, et.al. clearly articulate the core processes of innovation theory and management: value chain evolution, asymmetr
د.أمجد الجنباز
Nov 09, 2014 د.أمجد الجنباز rated it it was amazing
من الكتب الرائعة
تتحدث عن كيف تبدأ الابتكارات الهدامة صغيرا
ثم تكتبر بالتدريج الى ان تكتسح المنافسة
مثلا، عندما بدأت سكايب
كان السوق منقادا بواسطة المسنجر الخاص بوندز
لكن سكايب كبر واكتسح المسنجر حتى اضطر مايكروسوفت إلى شرائها بمبلغ مليارات
الواتس اب أيضا اكتسح السوق صغيرا ايضا بشكل ابداعي ثم تحول بعدة سنوات الى اكبر برنامج للرسائل واشتراه فيس بك ب . مليار

ان اردت ان تعرف كيف يحدث ذلك، ولما لا يستجيب المنافسون بشكل جيد عادة ثم يخسرون بشكل مؤلم
وان اردت ان تعرف من اين عليك ان تكتسح السوق
فلا بد لك من قرا
Timothy Chklovski
Nov 11, 2014 Timothy Chklovski rated it really liked it
Good application of the theories laid out in Christensen's et al earlier books. Perhaps best read some time after "Innovator's Solution", to benefit from spaced repetition. Although the book does not add entirely new frameworks, the application to specific industries adds nuance. For example, the health industry is presented as tiers of providers, from patients self-administering tests to nurses to GPs, to specialists and subspecialists, all increasingly moving upmarket as disruptive innovations ...more
Krishna Kumar
May 03, 2015 Krishna Kumar rated it it was amazing
The authors use the theories of innovation developed by Christensen to make predictions about various industries such as healthcare, aviation and education. While the specific predictions may or may not have direct meaning to one's work, they serve as examples of how the innovation theories (refer "The Innovator's Dilemma") can be used in a practical manner. The examples themselves are very fascinating.
Alex
Jul 02, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it
SEEINGS WHAT'S NEXT strikes as an excellent read for those in management positions in any industry. Not only do Christensen and company accomplish a concise and practical treatise, but they also do so at an incredibly approachable level. Anyone with the slightest bit of curiosity or excitement about innovation and/or entrepreneurship will find something valuable to learn from this book.
Olileanya Ogbonna
Sep 03, 2015 Olileanya Ogbonna rated it it was amazing
I found it quite interesting reading this book about 10 years after it was published.
The first interest is in ascertaining the era that the concepts in the book are applicable to.
When exactly were the authors referring to when they said "Next"?
But far more than that is the validity of the theories they postulated in dealing with effects of innovative thinking and activities of innovators in the market and society at large.
I would say that from an ex-post view point that the theories are worthwhi
Jeff
Jan 24, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it
This book was much more useful than the Innovator's Solution. The authors develop some useful theories about situations that allow disruptive innovations to succeed. More importantly, they describe many situations where incumbent firms can either adopt or defeat a disruptive innovation developed by an entrant firm.
Claudia Yahany
Nov 20, 2014 Claudia Yahany rated it it was ok
Hace 10 años seguramente fue buenísimo, pero se le nota el paso del tiempo. Christensen no está equivocado, pero hay explicaciones mucho menos complejas para casos más actuales, usando prácticamente los mismos términos (esta observación aplica para todos sus libros).
Demasiado académico, pudiendo hacer las cosas más sencillas para el lector promedio ¿qué necesidad? Christensen hace reflexiones de casos (que como siempre es sólo observar el pasado) para concluir en que "todas las empresas son dife
Derek
May 07, 2013 Derek rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
I'm likely not the businessman/investor type to read this book, but really enjoy Christensen's perspective and way of explaining processes and evolutions. He has authored a book that covers a great amount of breadth and depth in how to see and create ideas that will disrupt current practices. He covers a good blend of known and less familiar case studies to leave a lasting, memorable impression that I can apply in my own miniature business ideas. The fact that this was written in 2004 and so man ...more
Fai
Jun 03, 2016 Fai added it
"Customers don't buy products, they buy a job".
Howard
Jan 05, 2014 Howard rated it it was ok
I thought this was dry and dense. There's some useful techniques to be learned, but it's really tough to wade through the text to get to them.
Vincent
Dec 28, 2014 Vincent rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
The content on "disruptive innovation" alone makes this book an absolute must-read for any forward-thinking businessman, whether you're a manager or investor. On top of that, the discussions on spotting industry change and analyzing competitive battles between two firms in an industry, make the book an invaluable asset.
Jenny (biggeist 1D fan alive) Rahal
I haven't read it yet but I'm starting to
So far so good this isn't my type of book but it's pretty good
I'm still trying 2 fit in with the book but it's not working for me
Like come on I'm only 13 I don't think I should be reading this type of book
But it's not bad
But just not for me
(sorry if I'm not making sense)
TK Keanini
Apr 09, 2007 TK Keanini rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thinkingtools
There are useful patterns in this book. What you don't want to do is take any of this too literally because our industry is moving so quickly that the value is in the functiional patterns applied to your own system dynamic. You can put this on the list of books that help you develop foreknowledge.
Brendan Brooks
May 21, 2015 Brendan Brooks rated it liked it
Shelves: business
a bit of age on it now, but basically makes the point that competition is based on gaining a market from a current non-consumer and scanning consumption opportunities and your competitive environment better or before your competitor.
DanDan
Sep 15, 2008 DanDan rated it really liked it
I arranged for Dr. Clayton Christensen to speak at a luncheon for the BYU Management Society, a couple years ago, his presentation on distruptive technologies was fantastic, His books have proven to be equaly insighful.
Shaun
Aug 25, 2010 Shaun rated it really liked it
I am fascinated by any book written by Clayton Christensen. He has an interesting perspective on innovation and how it drives business strategy. If you like business and marketing and strategy, this is a must read.
William Matthies
Sep 17, 2012 William Matthies rated it really liked it
Most anything written by Christensen is good but none as much as his first book, "The Innovator's Dilemma". But still read this if you are interested in innovation.
Ken
Oct 31, 2011 Ken rated it liked it
Good book, that supports his previous books. After reading three of Clayton's books you begin to think in here terms for growth and innovation.
Rebecca
Jan 01, 2008 Rebecca rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
I dropped the book because it just didn't hold my interest. I've read more practical books on innovation.
Robin
Jul 28, 2007 Robin rated it really liked it
I think the outcome from this theory is hypotetical but that's what great writings are all about.
Kara
Oct 01, 2009 Kara rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
Some interesting ideas and examples, but not easy to read nor good flow.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it really liked it
A should-read book on innovation for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs.
Kine
Nov 29, 2012 Kine added it
I didn't come further than page 75. This does not interest me.
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • The Myths of Innovation
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • Essentials of Accounting
Clayton M. Christensen is the Robert and Jane Cizik Professor of Business Administration at the Harvard Business School, with a joint appointment in the Technology & Operations Management and General Management faculty groups. He is best known for his study of innovation in commercial enterprises. His first book, The Innovator's Dilemma, articulated his theory of disruptive technology.

Christen
More about Clayton M. Christensen...

“The past is a good predictor of the future only when conditions in the future resemble conditions in the past. And what works for a firm in one context might not work for another firm in a different context.” 0 likes