Start by marking “American Furies: Crime, Punishment, and Vengeance in the Age of Mass Imprisonment” as Want to Read:

In this dramatic expose of U.S. penitentiaries and the communities around them, Sasha Abramsky finds that prisons have dumped their age-old goal of rehabilitation, often for political reasons. The new "ideal," unknown to most Americans, is a punitive mandate marked by a drive toward vengeance.
Surveying this state of affairs--life sentences for nonviolent crimes, appalling
Published May 2nd 2007 by Beacon Press (MA) (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about American Furies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Furies

Kris
Jan 22, 2010 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: criminal-justice
Good documentation of the criminal justice system in the U.S., especially over the past 30 or so years. Lays out plenty of evidence showing that the war on drugs, mandatory minimums, and tough-on-crime posturing has got to go. We need to return to a focus on rehabilitation if we want to reduce recidivism rates, if we want to be a decent society. Packed full of anecdotes and stats. In all, a well-researched case for changing criminal justice in the U.S.
Brian
Jan 19, 2010 Brian rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to complete an English Composition course at UC Davis taught by Sasha Abramsky. All I can say is that he was an amazing professor and I learned a lot from him. In "American Furies" he thoroughly yet concisely examines the past, present, and future of the prison system in the US. This book forces us to take a look in the mirror and see yet another aspect of our country which is headed in a very disturbing direction.
Xarah
Nov 15, 2007 Xarah rated it really liked it
Here's a good, thought provoking book. I had never really thought about prisons and inmates - "send them all to prison!" was my thought. But after reading this book, it gave me a lot to think about.

Are locking people up the best way of rehabilitating them? While I do believe some people should be locked up and the key thrown, there are those who could be rehabilitated and could live productive lives in society. What can be done about it? What's the answer?
Chris Pederson
Apr 06, 2013 Chris Pederson rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The more I learn about the US 'justice' system the more I have come to realize how truly barbaric it is. Who cares about justice and rehabilitation when you can have utter vengeance? Never mind that our system is completely racist, classist, and not grounded in what actually works but a race to the bottom to be 'hard on crime'.
Lynn
Dec 07, 2009 Lynn rated it liked it
If you know anything about criminal justice and prison conditions, this book is probably nothing new for you, but it's a well-written synopsis of the awful state of corrections in the US.
Silja J.A.
May 27, 2008 Silja J.A. rated it it was amazing
This is an ESSENTIAL read for anyone looking to grasp the why's and how's of the evolution of our criminal justice system. Abramsky's best work.

Virginia
May 12, 2012 Virginia rated it really liked it
Nothing new if you're at all familiar with the topic, but a good primer for those who are not.
Matt Clem
Examines the dramatic increase of mass incarceration in the United States and explores some of the reasons behind it.
e
e rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Kymberli Ward
Kymberli Ward rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Nickie
Nickie rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2008
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2007
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2010
Tim Gomez
Tim Gomez rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Michele
Michele rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2010
Leia
Leia rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Emily Jane
Emily Jane rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2010
أمل
أمل rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2011
Carlo
Carlo rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2009
Neel Rao
Neel Rao rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2017
Spencer Mclean
Spencer Mclean rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2013
Eliza
Eliza rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2014
Zeyd
Zeyd rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
MsPink
MsPink rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2017
Hollowman
Hollowman rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Ben Bowman
Ben Bowman rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2011
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Dani
Dani rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Luigi
Luigi rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Sasha Abramsky studied politics, philosophy, and economics at Oxford University. He is now a freelance journalist and senior fellow at Demos who reports on political personalities and cultural trends.

His work has appeared in The Atlantic Monthly, The Huffington Post, Rolling Stone, The Nation, The New York Times, The Village Voice, The Guardian, and Mother Jones, among other publications.

He live
More about Sasha Abramsky...