Start by marking “Peanuts: The Art of Charles M. Schulz” as Want to Read:
Peanuts: The Art of Charles M. Schulz

Peanuts: The Art of Charles M. Schulz

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  588 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
This beautiful album will dazzle fans of Charles M. Schulz and his art, providing an unprecedented look at the work of the most brilliant and beloved cartoonist of the twentieth century. Here is the whole gang–Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, Snoopy, Peppermint Patty, Schroeder, Pig-Pen, and all the others from the original Peanuts strips.

More than five hundred comic strips are
Published October 28th 2003 by Pantheon (first published October 23rd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Peanuts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peanuts

M. D.  Hudson
Nov 23, 2012 M. D. Hudson rated it liked it
First let me start by saying I am not a comic book guy. I always kind of wanted to be one, and did read them sometimes when I was a kid, but I could never quite inhabit the superhero world and the funny stuff was either too silly (“Little Lulu”) or too adult (Archie and Jughead intimidated me; Veronica terrified me). The stuff I did read (Sgt. Rock, anything with ghosts) I look back on with nostalgia, but can’t really get worked up about now that I am finally a quasi-adult. But with this preface ...more
Samuel
Oct 17, 2011 Samuel rated it it was amazing
My wife got me the hard-cover edition of this back when it first came out, notable for it's weird dust jacket. I have read it over and over. Not only does it have a lot of Peanuts strips, it is a scrapbook of Peanuts memorabilia, with essays and quotes from Schulz and others thrown in.

This book also holds a special place in my heart because of when it was given as a gift. We were going through a hard time financially and for my wife to give me the actual hardback version was quite a sacrifice. S
Anke
Jul 24, 2014 Anke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
It's safe to say that the Peanuts obsession of my childhood has been rekindled and is now approximately ten times worse.
Aina
Feb 14, 2010 Aina rated it it was amazing
damn beautiful
CJ Scurria
Jul 05, 2014 CJ Scurria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best collections of Charles M. Schulz' works. Contained in these pages are the history of what the Peanuts creator thought of before and after the comic debuted on the endless comic strip papers that have been preserved to this day.
This book of the art from Charles Schulz contains not just the Peanuts strip but early drawings during Charles' school days and even an early version of his masterpiece (showing a Charlie Brown debut!) named "Lil' Folks" that was seen in a church pu
Yosef Shapiro
Oct 12, 2015 Yosef Shapiro rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, art
A nice collection of Schulz's work including some earlier work in addition to all of the Peanuts work. There are also some interesting facts on the history if the Peanuts gang.
Heather Meade
Jul 02, 2014 Heather Meade rated it really liked it
A must for any die-hard Peanuts fan. A great book for your collection that anyone will enjoy. The artwork/pictures are amazing.
Lori Wasson
Jan 26, 2014 Lori Wasson rated it it was amazing
The Peanuts characters are my favorites. It was fun reading about all of the facts, trivia, and the history of the characters. I never knew that Charlie Brown had a female counterpart for a brief period of time or that Lucy started out as being halfway docile. My only real complaint about this book is that some of the comic strips were hard to read because the editors shrunk them up too much to fit into the book. Either make those strips bigger or eliminate the extras. Overall, I loved the book.
Katsumi
Jul 12, 2012 Katsumi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, art
This is a magical book, and any Peanuts fan would love it and treasure it. It is a book one can return to over and over to enjoy. Leave it lying around the living room where everybody can enjoy it and relive the joy Charles Schultz and the Peanuts gang gave us for over fifty years. Better yet, introduce a new generation of kids to the strip. The Peanuts gang is a microcosm of us, and reading it reveals much about ourselves and helps us to look on life with tenderness and humor.
Buy this book, rea
Kristal
A delightful look into the beginnings of how one of America's favorite characters came to be. This book features over 500 comic strips dating from the 1950's through 2000. You get to see how the whole gang looked in the beginning & watch them grow to be the characters we know & love today. Packed with fun-to-know facts & some never before seen drawings. Definitely a must read for any Peanuts fan.
Moo
Feb 07, 2016 Moo rated it it was amazing
Rerun was introduced! And Peppermint Patty! Marcie! Pigpen!!
Dominick
Nov 06, 2012 Dominick rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-strips
This handsome collection has some strengths: excellent reproduction values, lots of early strips and original art, including many things not seen before, memorabilia photos, etc. It also has weaknesses: cluttered format (though the layout, mimicking what one might do if one cut out and taped the strips into a book, rather than a professional reproduction of the originals, has a certain appeal), no real structure to how material is presented, little in the way of
commentary or text. But all the gr
Nick
Sep 22, 2014 Nick rated it it was amazing
Its a good book.
Dani
Jun 29, 2013 Dani rated it it was amazing
This book gives an interesting insight to the creation of Peanuts, the representation of each individual strip character and the ideas each of them bring to the strip, and the uniqueness of the artist himself, Charles M. Schulz (Sparky). The history, rare items, licensees, and trivia included in this book are very refreshing that I feel like all of Peanuts are real. I am very happy to see my favorite characters, Schroeder and Linus! I feel like a kid again and these guys are just my neighbors.
Kirsten
Feb 08, 2008 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
This is a really nice retrospective of Schulz's career, with a heavy emphasis on the early days of "Peanuts" in the 1950's. Not having read any "Peanuts" strips for quite some time, it was really cool to look at these strips with fresh eyes -- I consistently found myself startled by how biting the strip could be. It also made me realize just how closely akin Calvin (from "Calvin & Hobbes") is to the Peanuts gang. I would like to seek out the complete Peanuts collections, now.
Mike (the Paladin)
This is a good collection that concentrates more on the history of the strip and the art of Schulz than on a chronological laying out of the comics. There are older cartoons and beginning strips that predate the Peanuts we know (like "Sparky's Li'l Folks). There are photos, sketches...Peanuts toys. All in all an interesting book for Peanuts fans...and of course the comics are still good. :)
Danielle Morales
Aug 06, 2013 Danielle Morales rated it it was amazing
This book had a beautiful transition of character design as well as insightful stories and thoughts from Charles M. Shultz. Along with a large collection of Peanuts strips, I thought this was an inspiring book not only for any aspiring or established artist or writer, but anyone who appreciates the warmth and nostalgia that came from Charlie Brown and his beagle.
Cris V.
Apr 16, 2014 Cris V. rated it really liked it
Fantastic voyage to be a child again. This may be the best compilation of Peanuts strips I've ever read. I laughed out loud, chuckled, smiled and felt every bit as happy as you can get. Eternal thanks to you, Sparky Schulz :)
Janet
Who doesn’t love Peanuts? Our library’s copy fell apart, and I gleefully took it home to read. The binding gave way halfway through, and random pages started falling out—I was covered by loose pages by the time I was done. Note to self, do not lie on back and hold book up while reading. My nose will never be the same.
MisterFweem
Jul 31, 2013 MisterFweem rated it it was amazing
I've been a long-time fan of Peanuts and Charles Schulz, so to have this book and see the detail of the comic close up is wonderful. Chip Kidd does a great job editing the book, selecting strips and bringing in just the right amount of commentary on the art and the artist. A wonderful book for any Schulz fan.
Alycia
Jan 27, 2011 Alycia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book for fans of graphic design and Charles Schultz alike; however, I wish Kidd leaned more towards creating an anthology than a piece of graphic art. Some of the strips scanned in from yellowing newspaper clippings from Schultz's personal archive were so small that they were illegible.
Patrick Reinhart
Apr 12, 2011 Patrick Reinhart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought this at the thrift store for a few dollars, and am enjoying immensely. Designed wonderfully by Chip Kidd to really give a sense of the history of the strip. Has renewed my interest in Schulz's work, which has been dulled over the years from the never-ending stream of reruns in the newspaper.
Chris Freeman
Oct 03, 2007 Chris Freeman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Charles Schulz
This is a beautiful scrapbook of Shulz's artwork. It includes some of his original panels and original newspaper printings of them - with all of the mistakes and close-up details included. Sometimes one Peanuts panel says more than the whole strip, and this collection realizes that.
Adam
Mar 21, 2009 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009, comix
A great look into some figures, art, and history that I've never known. And I say that as a lifetime Peanuts fan. I wasn't sure there WAS much trivia/history that I'd never read at some point in my life.

and it made me hungry for those gorgeous hardback Peanuts Collections.
Coco
Aug 16, 2011 Coco rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, art
A great book that gives the reader a new appreciation for the characters we know and love and the strip we grew up with by exploring their origins and evolution over the years. I'd forgotten how much I loved Peanuts until I read this. Schulz was a genius. (May 2008)
Leaflet
Feb 21, 2010 Leaflet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, art
Another great addition to my Peanuts library. Developmental sketches, stuff from Schulz's personal scrapbooks, pictures of rare collector items, images of his very first comic strip that I've never seen before. I love the last four pages.
Maryellen
Jul 05, 2010 Maryellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book - a glimpse into the driving force behind Peanuts. Why the characters looked the way they did, why they had their personalities and what infuenced the stories that were created. Great for any Peanuts fan.
Davehbo
Nov 05, 2012 Davehbo rated it it was amazing
When Rachel was in the hospital with scoliosis, this book was recommended by Chris and Julie. They were right! I loved seeing the story behind Schulz and the evolution of the Peanuts characters. Plus more insight to the author.
Angela Joyce
Jun 19, 2012 Angela Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
This is beautiful, adorable, touching, hilarious... but what else would one expect?

I found it interesting to see Schroeder, my favorite, as a baby... I hadn't known he started out that way in the comic strip. Terribly cute!
Paula
Mar 08, 2008 Paula rated it really liked it
love this book, love Chip Kidd's giant-pixel-y art direction. the last 4 pages slay me.
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 2: 1953-1954
  • Chris Ware
  • In the Studio: Visits with Contemporary Cartoonists
Chip Kidd is an American author, editor and graphic designer, best known for his innovative book covers.
Born in Reading, Pennsylvania, Kidd grew up in a Philadelphia suburb, strongly influenced by American popular culture. While a design student at Penn State, an art instructor once gave the assignment to design a book cover for Museums and Women by John Updike, who is also a Shillington native. T
More about Chip Kidd...