Start by marking “A Philosophy of Boredom” as Want to Read:
A Philosophy of Boredom

A Philosophy of Boredom

It has been described as a "tame longing without any particular object" by Schopenhauer, "a bestial and indefinable affliction" by Dostoevsky, and "time's invasion of your world system" by Joseph Brodsky, but still very few of us today can explain precisely what boredom is. A Philosophy of Boredom investigates one of the central preoccupations of our age as it probes the n ...more
Published April 15th 2005 by Reaktion Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Philosophy of Boredom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Philosophy of Boredom

Jul 13, 2010 Conor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-non_fiction
Really great actually. Here are five reasons for five stars:

1) Boredom is not a common topic in philosophy (most books about it are of the "get rid" style, not the "what the hell is it" style.)

2) He looks at boredom with a long historical view, following it's base of a sin in early christianity into pop music.

3) He slaps Heidegger silly in his phenomenology chapter.

4) He wrote a very readable book about an obscure topic that includes a phenomenological bent.

5)He made me understand exactly wh
Mar 08, 2016 Armin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
کتاب بدی نیست و نویسنده سعی می کند میانه رو و منصف باشد و دِین اش را به تمامِ ده ها فیلسوف و نویسنده ای که نقلِ قول ِاشان را می کند ادا کند. ولی دقیقا به همین دلیل، آن رادیکالیسم و عمقی را که برای هر اثر فلسفی تاثیرگذار لازم است، کم دارد.
گزارش خوبی از تاریخِ مفهومِ ملال ارائه می دهد و ترجمه چنین کتاب هایی به زبانِ فارسی قطعا خالی از فایده نیست.
کتاب از روی ترجمه انگلیسی به فارسی برگردانده شده، و نثر بسیار روان و قابل فهمی دارد.
Oct 20, 2010 110 rated it it was amazing
Still reading the book but I already know my favourite passage :-) [needs to complete the review by adding Kierkegaard's position, for instance:]

"Pascal is the most prominent early theoretician of boredom. For Pascal, man is doomed to boredom without God. In the absence of a relationship to God we turn to pleasures in order to forget our miserable state but, in actual fact, this only has a more destructive effect.

Pascal says " The only thing which consoles us for our miseries is diversion, and y
Jan 15, 2011 Gabriela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nordic-lit
This book led me to ponder on the essence of my own personal meaning, of finding my own mature self-identity. It was a fantastic read, with lots of major philosophic exemplifications. I enjoyed the journey through eras of cultural perception regarding boredom and its related moods. I very much recommend this book to anyone interested in getting a grasp of the relationship between modernity, rush, efficiency and the personal-self.
Eszter Faatima Sabiq
Apr 12, 2013 Eszter Faatima Sabiq rated it it was amazing
I am indebted to this book, as it was the main inspiration for my thesis and a great source of reference. Thank you, Lars Svendsen!
Apr 19, 2011 oenggun rated it it was amazing
a good chapter on Heidegger's exposition on the topic.
Jun 29, 2013 Irwan rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, 2013
An exploration of boredom in a series of sketches which gives me an articulation of this aspect of life. Boredom often coincides with lack of meaning which the modern subject believes achievable, while it turns out otherwise. Personal meaning as something that alone can give my life meaning is unrealizable.

Examination ranging from popular cultures like films and novels as well as works of prominent philosophers presents different aspect of the subject matter. For example, Heidegger imagined tha
Apr 06, 2015 Catherine rated it did not like it
I bought the book because I was eager to discover original thoughts and historical perspective on the topic of boredom, a topic I have not read about before: What's the relationship between boredom and, possibly, loneliness, depression, motivation...
The author has obviously done some research that is reported in the book. It offers lots of quotes on this obscur topic that is otherwise not well investigated.
But overall I was distracted by the assertions that the author made without explaining a
Kadi Kolk
Apr 25, 2014 Kadi Kolk rated it really liked it
An interesting symbiosis of Svendsen's own (rather personal) thoughts about boredom, toned up with theories of different grand masters' (Nietzsche, Foucault, Kierkegaard, Hegel, Kant etc) points of view. Svendsen resourcefully digs out the aspect of boredom in almost every philosophical theory and thereby shows its omnipresence in daily human life throughout centuries. In addition to philosophy, he has dug out colourful examples from fiction and film. It's a book every ''modern man'' should defi ...more
Jiin Jung
Sep 20, 2013 Jiin Jung rated it really liked it
Finity of our existence makes us feel insignificant and meaningless. Such unbearable lightness of being feeds existential boredom, the very feeling Kundera's two characters, Tomáš and Sabina, have.
It was always going to be the case that a book about boredom would be anything but boring, but I didn't think it would be as riveting as it turned out to be. I absolutely loved the second chapter where the author discussed the books/movies Crash and American Psycho. Reading those books you do understand quickly that the characters act out of a lack of something in their lives, but I never viewed their actions as a type of violence born of boredom and in this way Svendsen's little volume is like ...more
Sourena Kazemi
Sep 09, 2016 Sourena Kazemi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
اگر درگیر یک مشکل عمیق هستین و اصولا آدم منطقی هستین خوندن این کتاب و بهتون پیشنهاد میکنم
این کتاب یه توضیح خوب از خیلی از رفتار روزمره مارو بهمون میده
کمک میکنه تا دفعه دیگه که توی زندگی دچار ملال شدین راحت تر خودتون و درک کنین و ازش بگزرین ....
Very interesting; confronts one of the main existential questions of life.
For a book about boredom it was surprisingly engaging. Having said that, it was indeed a book about boredom, and some of the historical sections in particular were a bit dry and longwinded. Svendsen presented his ideas well, however, and I found his thoughts on the matter to be very interesting, even though I'm not sure I agree with all of them.
Armand Cognetta
Feb 26, 2012 Armand Cognetta rated it it was amazing
A bit esoteric, but overall a very interesting read. I particularly enjoyed the American Psycho section in which Patrick Bateman was depicted as the poster child for modern existential boredom taken to an extreme.
Moeilijk om door te komen, maar ik herinner me zeer interessante en confronterende passages. Hoe meer kennis van de filosofie, hoe makkelijker het te lezen is. Voor mij geldt: zeker het herlezen waard!
Apr 26, 2016 Alexandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophical
Not finished, halfway and to be continued. But I did really enjoy the first part and the subject matter in this book.
Mar 17, 2015 Elliedakota rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dense. Sometimes interesting, sometimes plodding.
Mar 14, 2009 Yanshi added it
not bad
worth reading
Jun 13, 2013 Genevieve rated it it was ok
Two-bit critchley
Pavan Kulkarni
Pavan Kulkarni marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Maryam marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Mebrat Deres
Mebrat Deres marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
Yems rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Nathan Henderson
Nathan Henderson marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Karoline Corfitz
Karoline Corfitz is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2016
Erik is currently reading it
Oct 09, 2016
DefunMatt marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Sara Mauritzen
Sara Mauritzen marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Matthew MacDonald
Matthew MacDonald marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016
  • What's It All About?: Philosophy and the Meaning of Life
  • Workarounds That Work: How to Conquer Anything That Stands Iworkarounds That Work: How to Conquer Anything That Stands in Your Way at Work N Your Way at Work
  • Rocket Fuel: The One Essential Combination That Will Get You More of What You Want from Your Business
  • Seizing the White Space: Growth and Renewal Through Business Model Innovation
  • How to Change the World
  • Screened Out
  • Someone Has to Fail: the Zero-Sum Game of Public Schooling
  • Getting It Done: How to Lead When You're Not in Charge
  • The Transition Companion: Making Your Community More Resilient in Uncertain Times
  • Given Time: I.  Counterfeit Money
  • One Day University Presents: Positive Psychology: The Science of Happiness
  • Morality: An Introduction to Ethics
  • Century
  • Rites of Passage at $100,000 to $1 Million+: Your Insider's Lifetime Guide to Executive Job-Changing and Faster Career Progress in the 21st Century
  • The Case Against Adolescence: Rediscovering the Adult in Every Teen
  • Backyard Foraging: 65 Familiar Plants You Didn't Know You Could Eat
  • Stay: A History of Suicide and the Philosophies Against It
  • The Ethics of Authenticity
Lars Fredrik Händler Svendsen is a Norwegian author and philosopher who is professor at the University of Bergen. He has published several books translated into 24 languages. He is also engaged as project manager in the think tank Civita. In 2008 he was awarded the Meltzer Prize for outstanding research, and in 2010 he was awarded the prisoners' Testament.
More about Lars Fr. H. Svendsen...

“In order to live a meaningful life,
humans need answers, i.e., a certain understanding of basic existential questions. These ‘answers’ do not have to be made completely explicit, as a lack of words does not necessarily indicate a lack of understanding, but one has to able to place oneself in the world and build a relatively stable identity. The founding of such an identity is only possible if one can tell a relatively coherent story about who one has been and who one intends to be.”
“A utopia cannot, by definition, include boredom, but the ‘utopia’ we are living in is boring.” 9 likes