On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage

On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  38 reviews
An eloquent, wise, and witty account of how one man's six-month, end-to-end hike of the Appalachian Trail led him back home.
Published March 1st 2000 by The Lyons Press (first published 2000)

Gail Gray
I finished On the Beaten Path recently and have to say it's one of the most lyrical books on the AT experience I've ever read. I love Rubin's writing, as I should, since he was an editor before hitting the trail and made the journey after becoming disillusioned with his job, along with the difficulties editors face, which I know first hand. Slogging through lots of stories to find the gems and then once you do so, the pain of writing rejection letters, and even having to reject good writing simp...more
Karson
Liked this one a ton. Much more than Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. More honest and autobiographical. Also about this guy's inner journey on the path as much as the outer journey. He lost like 75 lbs on the trail too. I really liked this one.
Shellys♥ Journal
Robert Rubin works at a publishing company in North Carolina. After struggling with his career for a number of years, he decides to quit his job and hike the Appalachian Trail. While it sounds like a reasonable idea, the fact that Rubin has a wife, dog and a mortgage muddies the water some. This is the story of his own personal struggles and how he seeks to work them out on the AT.

Having read 7 other memoirs of the Appalachian Trail, I still found this book a wonderful read. The writing is outst...more
Margaret
I found this book to be ...sort-of interesting, but not what I expected. I really don't know exactly how to describe it. Because it seems the author was struggling in his life when he began his hike - in his job, marriage, etc. - I guess I expected there to be more of his thought processes about those things, not lists of hikers he met along the way, their trail names, etc. I found it kind of depressing at times, particularly at the end. Rather than it coming across as this major accomplishment,...more
PJ Wetzel
Robert Alden Rubin is a talented writer. He writes fluidly, sometimes lyrically, and always with the competence of a professional. His writing style seems to aspire to what writers call 'literary' prose. An author whose writing has literary quality is one who could write about a toilet plunger and keep the reader enthralled. The interest is in the fresh turn of phrase, the crafting of simple ideas into vivid experiences that jump off the page, the music and flow of the sentences, the emotional v...more
Jody
I liked this a lot better than A Walk in the Woods.

Rubin quits his job and decides to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. He's a little self-important sometimes (naming himself "Rhymin' Worm"? Really?) but overall seems to appreciate the not-alwasys-positive ripple effects of his decision on his marriage, career, etc.

Rubin's descriptions of the trail were well-written, which made this an overall enjoyable book.

Michelle Peters
Great book for the learning about the Appalachian Trail thruhiker sub-culture! Wished I could have enjoyed Robert's personal journey a bit more.
Kurt
Jun 30, 2007 Kurt rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hikers
It's another hiking narrative of a guy's trip up the A.T. This one's got a little more going for it than many. He has an on-going stressful relationship with his wife that the distance doesn't seem to help. And also he weaves in a lot of local history, geography, ecology and so on. He worked in publishing before hiking in 1997 ... and he's worked for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy since 1999. So that could hint that he knows about writing and about the Trail, too. It's a good and thoughtful r...more
Anthony
I have always wanted to hike the entire Appalachian Trail and have been enthralled with hearing about anyone else that has, this is another one of those stories. Robert did complete the entire journey and speaks about the day to day life and his thoughts during the trek. While I enjoyed Bill Bryson’s A Walk in the Woods. This is more of what I was looking for, less side stories and deviations from the story and more what actually happens on the trails.
Chade66
This is my third AT book, so many of the place names are familiar. He quits his job as a fiction editor (and doesn't know who Kilgore Trout is? Really?) and goes on this hike for 6 months. It causes a lot of friction in his marriage and frankly I'm surprised that his wife didn't dump him because she was so ticked off.

I think he needed the time to get his head on straight, but perhaps there was a better way to work it out with his wife beforehand.
Dave
The author (trail name: Rhymin' Worm) of this A.T. travel book takes himself and his long hike a little too seriously without explaining the importance to the reader. A journey book is only good if there is some meaning achieved from the ordeal of traveling (that's why I read them)and I don't think Rubin quite understood himself what he was doing. Rhymin' Worm needed to figure out what his little journey meant before he put his book for sale.
kathy Pesce
the story of a man who was kind of "beaten down" by his career as an editor in NY; subsequently finds that becoming immersed in the arduous task of thru hiking the appalachian trail helps to replace one mindset with another. The trek becomes not only a strong goal but a form of therapy.I especially liked the book because it was always more about the trail.
Andy Anderson
Very informative book about the authors time on the AT. One minute you want to do it so bad you can taste it, the next chapter you are saying no way.... Then at the end who he gets to the Mount, you want to head out ASAP. One minute it sounds like a dream come true, the next you think it might be the trip to hell.
Jeannie Lonergan
Having wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail I was interested in learning what one goes endures hiking for 2000 miles for 6 months. Robert Alden Rubin made is interesting and I leaned a great deal. In fact I learned that I'm not going to attempt it at my age!!! but would have liked to.
Jim
A great narrative of one man’s walk on the Appalachian Trail. Reading this gives you real insights into the culture of the hiking community that makes this trek. Ruben’s writing style and the balance he maintains throughout this book make for an enjoyable read.
Sue
In stead of uplifting, I felt we were on a marriage break up hike - sad, I could only wish that the author and his wife could have had a more solid foundation that would have allowed them to share more of the adventure with each other.
Merri
Quit his job, left his life and wife behind for several months to make this personal journey. Overweight & out of shape, one man alone heads off into an unfamiliar world of hikers & raw nature. A descriptive page turner. I enjoyed it.
Lori
I love the idea of thru-hiking the AT, but probably like this book it would start out really interesting and exciting and then eventually get monotonous. By the end I started to feel like the author and and just hope the the hike to end.
Carrie
My obsession with the AT has been fueled even more. Good trail narrative but I'm bummed he lost 75 pounds, then gained it all back. I'm not trying to judge, but one of the messages for the AT for me is healthy living.
An enjoyable tale of hiking the trail. Definitely one that doesn't gloss over the hard parts. Mice and bugs and other privations are mentioned and not hidden from the reader.
Blaine Motsinger
This has been my favorite trail book so far.

It's more raw than Bill Bryson's book, and not so many sections of information.

The style was easy and very romantic.
Andie
I've had this book a long time and just re-read it recently. I always love a good appalachian trail book.
Seems like I'm rereading every book in my house this year!
Michael Anderson
Good story about one man's experience thruhiking the Appalachian Trail. Good mix of trail descriptions, history, and relationships formed and unformed.
Erika
I think the author did a very god job of building up a degree of suspense at the end and he also kept the "action" going at a consistent interesting pace.
Keith
Though Rubin seems at times pretentious, and doesn't provide much closure, this is still a great read for someone who dreams of hiking the AT.
Courtney
I'm now a bit more nervous about section-hiking the AT. So much about mice! Eeek!
Disappointed that he didn't honestly thruhike the entire thing.
Jeff
This is a little different than the standard AT thru-hike journal, as Rubin is actually a good writer. Still, nothing extraordinary.
Melissa
It was a fun book. Easy read. And if you like to here how people meander through the woods and what/who they meet then this is for you.
Randy McCollum
One of the best books about hiking the Appalachian Trail. If you have ever thought of walking the AT this is a must read.
  • As Far As The Eye Can See: Reflections Of An Appalachian Trail Hiker
  • Walking the Appalachian Trail
  • A Walk For Sunshine: A 2,160 mile expedition for charity on the Appalachian Trail
  • Southbound (The Barefoot Sisters, #1)
  • Skywalker: Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail
  • Hiking Through: Finding Peace and Freedom on the Appalachian Trail
  • AWOL on the Appalachian Trail
  • Becoming Odyssa: Epic Adventures on the Appalachian Trail
  • A Journey North: One Woman's Story of Hiking the Appalachian Trail
  • Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail
  • Stumbling Thru: Hike Your Own Hike
  • The Complete Walker IV
  • A Blistered Kind of Love: One Couple's Trial by Trail (Barbara Savage Award Winner)
  • Nature Noir: A Park Ranger's Patrol in the Sierra
  • The Backpacker's Field Manual, Revised and Updated: A Comprehensive Guide to Mastering Backcountry Skills
  • Blind Courage
  • Before They're Gone: A Family's Year-Long Quest to Explore America's Most Endangered National Parks
  • Be Brave, Be Strong: A Journey Across the Great Divide
Poetry Out Loud Love Poetry Out Loud On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage New York Construction Law Manual Second Edition (Construction Law Series)