Start by marking “Uncommon Crochet: Twenty-Five Projects Made from Natural Yarns and Alternative Fibers” as Want to Read:

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Black leather granny squares are anything but square, and hot pink organic hemp gives crocheted vases a decidedly modern cachet. In Uncommon Crochet, designer Julie Armstrong Holetz applies new ideas and unconventional materials--like wire, raffia, jute, sisal, recycled belts, fabric strips, and felted beads--to twenty-five patterns for bins, baskets, totes, handbags, clut ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Uncommon Crochet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncommon Crochet

Jenni
Aug 12, 2009 Jenni rated it did not like it
Shelves: crafty
All of the projects and patterns were certainly beautiful and I liked that so many were made from natural and vegan fibers because I don't dig animal fibers. However, I felt like the title Uncommon Crochet was somewhat misleading. Perhaps I have read too many crochet books, because everything in the book seemed common. The majority of the projects were handbags, and a huge portion of the book is dedicated, like many crochet books, to teaching beginners (e.g., "how to hold a hook," etc.). I liked ...more
Rachel
Mar 28, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Very interesting projects though most of them I think would be a bit out of my league. It had good detailed photographs to show how to do things, but I still don't really understand how to read a crocheting panel, which is my fault and not the authors. I would love to do the Tube Bag, Hong Kong Bag, Jute Filet Bag, the Goodie Basket for yarn, and Pacific Coast Basket. I would love to own this book so I could have time to do everything.
Bliss
Nov 01, 2009 Bliss rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to crochet and wants to try their hand at something different.
Nothing to wear in this one.

Why? Because it's full of must-make accessories and projects for home or any other place that could benefit from beautiful and interesting crocheted items.

There are three chapters on how-to and with-what before the patterns start. Good information to have, for beginners as well as more experienced hookers.
Cami
Jan 05, 2009 Cami rated it really liked it
I like to crochet and this book offered a lot of different kinds of projects: baskets, purses, boxes, vases...lots of fun. I've made a small box already.
This is a book I would buy. The colored photos were detailed and helpful and it had good instructions, no only on doing these pieces, but also on designing your own.
Mary
Jan 17, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
It shows crafts using crochet that use different types of fibers. Not sure I would want to use it all the time, since I like the soft fibers flowing through my hands, but might make something from it if I ever come across hemp yarn.
Feb 01, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Fun projects, and the guide to beginning crochet was so helpful. I am a self-taught, continental style knitter, and according to some, I should be able to crochet. Nacht. This book helped inspire more practice.
Deneen
Sep 29, 2009 Deneen rated it it was amazing
I think Julie did a fab job with this book-don't know what I am going to make from it yet, but well written with lots of new ideas.
Dale Edmonds
Aug 09, 2013 Dale Edmonds rated it it was ok
Basic designs and uninspiring. Maybe just not my taste.
Sheri Russell
Sheri Russell marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Two Readers in Love
Two Readers in Love rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Mary E. Collins
Mary E. Collins is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Jothan F Bowen
Jothan F Bowen rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Janet May
Janet May marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Lorene Cobb
Lorene Cobb marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
JUDITH L. PACE
JUDITH L. PACE is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2015
Carol Barrick
Carol Barrick marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Jessie Cumpson
Jessie Cumpson marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Gabriel
Gabriel is currently reading it
Feb 16, 2015
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Janet Strasemeier
Janet Strasemeier rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Wafa
Wafa marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Janet Athens
Janet Athens rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Pauline
Pauline rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2014
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2014