3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Black leather granny squares are anything but square, and hot pink organic hemp gives crocheted vases a decidedly modern cachet. In Uncommon Crochet, designer Julie Armstrong Holetz applies new ideas and unconventional materials--like wire, raffia, jute, sisal, recycled belts, fabric strips, and felted beads--to twenty-five patterns for bins, baskets, totes, handbags, clut...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Uncommon Crochet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncommon Crochet

Jenni
All of the projects and patterns were certainly beautiful and I liked that so many were made from natural and vegan fibers because I don't dig animal fibers. However, I felt like the title Uncommon Crochet was somewhat misleading. Perhaps I have read too many crochet books, because everything in the book seemed common. The majority of the projects were handbags, and a huge portion of the book is dedicated, like many crochet books, to teaching beginners (e.g., "how to hold a hook," etc.). I liked...more
Rachel
Very interesting projects though most of them I think would be a bit out of my league. It had good detailed photographs to show how to do things, but I still don't really understand how to read a crocheting panel, which is my fault and not the authors. I would love to do the Tube Bag, Hong Kong Bag, Jute Filet Bag, the Goodie Basket for yarn, and Pacific Coast Basket. I would love to own this book so I could have time to do everything.
Bliss
Nov 01, 2009 Bliss rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to crochet and wants to try their hand at something different.
Nothing to wear in this one.

Why? Because it's full of must-make accessories and projects for home or any other place that could benefit from beautiful and interesting crocheted items.

There are three chapters on how-to and with-what before the patterns start. Good information to have, for beginners as well as more experienced hookers.
Cami
I like to crochet and this book offered a lot of different kinds of projects: baskets, purses, boxes, vases...lots of fun. I've made a small box already.
This is a book I would buy. The colored photos were detailed and helpful and it had good instructions, no only on doing these pieces, but also on designing your own.
Mary
It shows crafts using crochet that use different types of fibers. Not sure I would want to use it all the time, since I like the soft fibers flowing through my hands, but might make something from it if I ever come across hemp yarn.
Fun projects, and the guide to beginning crochet was so helpful. I am a self-taught, continental style knitter, and according to some, I should be able to crochet. Nacht. This book helped inspire more practice.
Deneen
I think Julie did a fab job with this book-don't know what I am going to make from it yet, but well written with lots of new ideas.
Dale Edmonds
Basic designs and uninspiring. Maybe just not my taste.
Amy
Amy added it
Aug 20, 2014
Ardyce Bresett
Ardyce Bresett marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
GEORGIA FRANKE
GEORGIA FRANKE marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Mopsa
Mopsa marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
Wendy Hunter
Wendy Hunter marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Audrey Bassett
Audrey Bassett marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Sam Barley
Sam Barley marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Crochet Away! [With Crochet Hook, Yarn Needle, & 50 Yards of Yarn] Uncommon Crochet: Twenty-Five Projects Made from Natural Yarns and Alternative Fibers