The Death of Ayrton Senna

The Death of Ayrton Senna

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Richard Williams leaves no stone unturned as he examines the life and the untimely death of Formula One legend Ayrton Senna.; he gets deep into the psyche of this complex Brazilian as he analyses his character and attempts to discover the reasons behind the driver's burning desire to win. It was, Williams believes, a desire which a precious few drivers have--an inherent be...more
Published April 23rd 1999 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published April 23rd 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Death of Ayrton Senna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of Ayrton Senna

Kalle
Ignore the sensationalist title, this is the real deal: a proper book about Ayrton Senna, not some grotesque cash-in.

Having read a few of Christoper Hilton's Senna-books, it was refreshing to get a new-ish view on his career. Some of the incidents were covered in pretty much the same way, the same praise was said about Ayrton and so on. The book opens with detailed and touching account of Senna's funeral, and then goes on to cover his racing career from karting to that weekend at Imola. It's def...more
Racheal
Great book - a short sharp tale of his life.
Not on my to-read list for this year, but a must read for 2014.
Good bit: Mr Williams does not treat the reader as a fool. He is more than a story-teller; he commentates on the events.
Bad bit: My memory of events ...
Luiz Felipe
This is for the Formula 1 fan of 20 to 25 years back, specially those who admired Senna. It's an engrossing read, which culminates on the accident that took Senna's life but it is not exclusively about it. It wasn't easy for me, who have always been unconditionally a Senna supporter, to read something that acknowledges that he was not only determined, but often overly aggressive and single minded about victory. Still, the book seems to do justice to his talent behind the wheel.
Jamie
I wasn't a great fan of Senna (shock horror!) of course when he died I felt the sport had lost a vital element. If you enjoy F1, you'll probably like it this book is a very well written account of his career and F1 overall. I don't know if it would be of interest as a general biography...

I really enjoyed reading it and Richard Williams did a great job of handling this emotive subject.
Dan Lee
Not exactly what I expected or what the title would suggest; fully 75% of the book is about the life and racing career of Senna, as opposed to his fatal accident.

I picked this up hoping to gain a better understanding of just what happened at Tamburello 18 years ago. I'm not sure I got what I was looking for, but I did get an engaging read about an amazing driver. I'll take that.
Chris
The second best book on Senna I have read after Tom Rubython's The Life of Senna. Not as detailed, as it is far smaller, and goes very quickly through his life. The most detail seems to be focused on the trial after Senna's death, but seeing as the title is The Death of Ayrton Senna, that is to be expected.
John
The title tells it all. A death that no one thought could happen. He we too good to die in a race car, but shit happens. His death had wide reaching implications. The ultimate racer.
Kyle Tucker
Kyle Tucker marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Linda Borscika
Linda Borscika marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
SwayThunders
SwayThunders marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Rahul Weltmeister
Rahul Weltmeister marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Marie
Marie added it
Jun 16, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Niranjan Aithal
Niranjan Aithal marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Amanda Ruth
Amanda Ruth marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Pubudu Perera
Pubudu Perera marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Amin R
Amin R marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Rajesh Bhatt
Rajesh Bhatt marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Imperial Glory Reiksguard (Empire Army #1) Relentless Liber Chaotica Complete The Blue Moment: Miles Davis's Kind of Blue and the Remaking of Modern Music