Start by marking “The Book of Tea” as Want to Read:
The Book of Tea

Read Book

The Book of Tea

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,318 Ratings  ·  559 Reviews
“A seminal guide to Asian life and thought. . . . Very highly recommended.”—Midwest Book Review

The classic 1906 essay on tea drinking, its history, aesthetics, and deep connection to Japanese culture. Kakuzo Okakura felt “Teaism” could influence the world: “Tea with us becomes more than an idealisation of the form of drinking; it is a religion of the art of life.”
Published April 1st 2007 by Stone Bridge Press (first published 1906)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Tea

The Bhagavad Gita by AnonymousThe Art of War by Sun TzuThe Way of Zen by Alan W. WattsThe Metamorphoses of Ovid by OvidThe Tao of the Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
Joseph Campbell Reading List
7th out of 47 books — 24 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinQuidditch Through the Ages by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
Greenest Books Ever
364th out of 1,427 books — 454 voters

More lists with this book...

Paquita Maria Sanchez
Aug 17, 2012 Paquita Maria Sanchez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: truthiness
Just a few things:

* If you find yourself moving 13 times across 4 cities in 3 states over a period of less than 3 years, you'll notice that your bedroom looks more and more like a Japanese tea room each time.

* Monzaemon Chikamatsu is referred to in this text as the "Japanese Shakespeare." Will I be seeking this man's work out as soon as possible? Damn right! Pfft...don't threaten me with a good time.

* "We have an old saying in Japan that a woman cannot love a man who is truly vain, for there is
Aubrey
Meanwhile, let us have a sip of tea. The afternoon glow is brightening the bamboos, the fountains are bubbling with delight, the soughing of the pines is heard in our kettle. Let us dream of evanescence, and linger in the beautiful foolishness of things.
4.5/5

The last time I felt what this book conjured up in me, I was in Medieval Art, transcribing the parts of cathedrals in relation to aspects of religion, art, and space. Approaching the choir on high through the humbling nave, raising the eye
Rowena
Jun 06, 2013 Rowena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tea lovers and Japanophiles
This book was just wonderful. It discusses the history of teaism in Asia (mainly Japan but also China). It’s written in a very poetic and philosophical manner. Not only does the book talk about tea, it also talks about how tea has influenced Japanese culture, especially Japanese cuisine, clothing, literature and art.

I learned some quite surprising facts. For example, onions were added to tea in some places, and tea-drinking was considered to be an occupation of depraved people!

The book also goe
Bushra
May 04, 2016 Bushra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: فنون
بدأت بقراءة الكتاب من باب التخفيف والتسلية..
لم أتوقع أن يكون المحتوى بهذا الرقي!!
كتاب عن الشاي وما هو الشاي أكثر من كونه مشروب.. شيء يشترى ويستهلك.. هذه هي فكرتنا غالباً لكن الكاتب الياباني يقدمه هنا كعنصر هام ومؤثر في الثقافة اليابانية حيث نطل عليها ونحاول أن نفهمها من خلاله ومن خلال ما يرتبط به..
وكأن الحياة لوحة فنية يعيشونها والشاي جزء من هذه اللوحة..
كتاب يشع جمالاً وسكينة قد يؤثر في تفكيرك وذائقتك..
Matt Riddle
The Book of Tea by Okakura Kakuzō

Too little tea, we learn, was a Japanese expression used in reference to a person too busy to stop and smell the roses. Too much tea, then, refers to a person so busy smelling the roses he has little time for much else. In my humble estimation, Mr. Okakura had a little too much tea in him.

The Book of Tea makes a number of interesting points. I agree with its author that we Occidentals tend to downplay the Orient’s contributions to such fields as philosophy, relig
Diamond Cowboy
Jan 20, 2016 Diamond Cowboy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book on the history of tea and it's importance in the eastern cultures. Tea started out as a medicine and grew itself into a beverage. The book also speaks of the religion of Japan of Teaism.
I recommend this book to all.
Enjoy and Be Blessed.
Diamond
Lubna ALajarmah
المكتوب أدناه مقتبس حرفياً من الكتاب، والصور أيضاً كلها من نفس الكتاب، ولما اقتبست فقط أمنح الكتاب 3 من 5 والمزيد من الصور هنا

description
"على غرار الفن، هناك حقب ومدارس للشاي. ونستطيع تقسيم تطوره إلى ثلاث مراحل أساسية: الشاي المغلي، والشاي المخفوق، والشاي المنقوع. وننتمي نحن أبناء هذا الزمن إلى المدرسة الأخيرة. وما هذه المنهج المتعددة في تقدير الشاي إلا دلالة روحية على العصر الذي سادت فيه".ص24

"منذ أقدم الأزمنة، عّرفت نبتة الشاي وموطنها الأصلي جنوب الصين، كواحد من النباتات الصينية والأعشاب الطبية. ويرد ذك
طَيْف
Mar 16, 2013 طَيْف rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

description

لم يعد هناك معنى لكوب قهوتي الذي رافقني أثناء قراءة الكتاب...فاستبدلته بكوب من الشاي "كوب الإنسانية"...لعلّ شيئا من فلسفة تلك الحياة التي وصفها الكاتب تدبّ فيه

والكتاب لمن لم يقرأه فعلا يتضمن أسلوب حياة وفلسفة لا تقتصر على الشاي فقط، وإنما منصة فكرية وجمالية يشرح فيها "أوكاكورا" السمات المميزة للحياة الشرقية، من أجل فهم أوسع من قبل الغربي لجماليات تلك الحضارة وما بنيت عليها، لكسر الصورة النمطية في تفكيره تجاه تلك الحضارة العظيمة

بلغة شعريّة وفلسفة عميقة ووصف بديع لطقوس الشاي الساحرة وأبعادها الرو
Kirstine
Teaism is a cult founded on the adoration of the beautiful among the sordid facts of everyday existence. It inculcates purity and harmony, the mystery of mutual charity, the romanticism of the social order. It is essentially a worship of the Imperfect, as it is a tender attempt to accomplish something possible in this impossible thing we know as life.

It’s not a book about tea, in the sense that it’s not about how to drink your tea, what sorts you can get and what fancy properties they have and
Carol

شفاف هذا الكتاب كشفافية الشاي وأنت تشربه في كأس من زجاج

الكتاب محرض لشرب الشاي بل إلى درجة الإفتتان
Banzai
Dec 13, 2007 Banzai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Artists, Buddhists, Teaists, and any other kind of "ist" that loves beauty.
Okakura Kakuzo writes that he is "not a polite teaist." This is true. In the Book of Tea, he more or less shames the world, in particular his own countrymen, for subscribing to Western aesthetics. He also makes it clear how he feels about said aesthetics and the junk art coming out of the cluttered, cheap and materialistic culture of 19th century Europe and America. That said, I didn't like this book because I'm a self-deprecating whitey.

I liked this book first and foremost because it's pretty!
Mohamed Al Marzooqi
من باب التغيير قررت قراءة هذا الكتاب ظنا مني أنه يتحدث عن تاريخ نبتة الشاي وطقوس تحضيره، ولكنني تفاجأت أنه كتاب عن الفلسفة والفن والجمال.

نصيحة: لا تقرأوا هذا الكتاب إلا وإبريق من الشاي بالياسمين إلى جانبكم
valleys
Mar 27, 2010 valleys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"«الكوب الأول يرطب شفتي وحلقي، والكوب الثاني يكسر وحدتي، والثالث يجوس في داخلي المجدب فلا يجد هناك سوى نحو خمسة آلاف مجلد من النقوش الغربية. الكوب الرابع يتسبب في تعرق بسيط تخرج معه من مسامي جميع مساوئ العيش. وحين أصل إلى الكوب الخامس أكون قد تطهرت؛ والكوب السادس يناديني إلى جنات الخلد. أما الكوب السابع.. آه، لا أستطيع تناول المزيد! لا أحس سوى بهبوب النسيم العليل في أكمامي. أين أنت يا هورايسان؟ دعوني امتطي الخيل في هذا النسيم العذب وارتحل إلى هناك»

* لو تونغ - شاعر صيني من حقبة تانغ

\\
قرأت النسخة
Katie Lumsden
Jun 02, 2016 Katie Lumsden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fascinating little collection of essays, dealing with Japanese culture at the turn of the twentieth-century, especially the tea ceremony and the culture and philosophy that springs from it. I found this really interesting and readable, although possibly more enjoyable if you have vague background knowledge of Japanese and Chinese history and schools of philosophy.
Amal
Jun 14, 2010 Amal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب ممتع جداً، يرصد تاريخ الشاي كمشروب وكيف انتقل من الصين إلى اليابان ليتحول من عشبة طبية إلى مشروب له دلالات ثقافية وفسلفية مرتبطة بالمجتمع الياباني. كيف أن الشاي ارتبط بالجمال وبكل القيم الخاصة بحضارة اليابان.

لا يمكنني أن أنقل إليكم انطباعاتي الخاصة بالكتاب بشكل كامل، لأنه بالفعل كتاب لن تستطيعوا إدراك جماله الحقيقي قبل قراءته.

أحب أن ألفت النظر أيضاً غلى براعة المترجم الفلسطيني سامر أبوهواش، الذي استطاع أن ينقل روح هذا الكتاب إلى العربية فجاءت الترجمة رائعة وأعتقد تماماً أنها نقلت عذوية ور
umberto
First published in 1906, this classic work written in English having only seven short chapters is something rare and essential to those interested in Japanese culture. It is rare because few Japanese writers have written in English, even Natsume Soseki who studied in England in 1901-1903 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natsume_...) wrote most of his stories and novels in Japanese. Moreover, it is essential since reading this book would broaden our understanding on how and why tea in Japan has long ...more
هيفاء
Jun 15, 2013 هيفاء rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

يا للجمال !
استمتعت بتأمل طقوس الشرق في تقديس الشاي وأنا أحتسِي كوبًا مِن الشاي الأخضر وآخر أحمر ،، وأيُ متعةٍ أكبر !؟

في سنة 1610 م حملت سفن تابعة لـ "الشركة الهولندية لشرق الهند" أولى شحنات الشاي إلى أوروبا. وقد بات الشاي معروفًا في فرنسا في العالم 1636 م، ووصل إلى روسيا في 1638 م. أما إنجلترا فقد رحّبت به في العام 1650 م، ووصفته بأنه "ذلك الشراب الصيني الممتاز الذي يصدّق عليه جميع الأطباء،
يسميه الصينيون "تشا"
Tcha
وتسميه الأمم الأخرى "تاي"
Tay
والمعروف باسم "تي"
Tea (الشاي)

رابط إلكتروني للكتاب
Lina AL Ojaili
أنه من الغريب بما فيه الكفاية أن الإنسانية قد التقت حتى الآن على كوب شاي، فهو الطقس الآسيوي الوحيد الذي يحظى بالاحترام الدولي. ويوضح ذلك بقوله “لقد استهزأ الرجل الأبيض من ديانتنا وقيمنا الأخلاقية، لكنه تقبّل شرابنا الداكن دونما تردد.
Antonomasia
This is an exquisite little cultural history of Japan centred around the tea ceremony and a philosophy of "teaism" which includes elements of Zen and Taoism.

It's also a work of art and design philosophy which especially falls into place on realising it was written in the wake of the Western aesthetic movement of the late nineteenth century. (The Book of Tea was first published in 1906.) The Japanese perspective described here seems to unite, or else trace a middle way between, the opposition of
Sarah ~
Jan 05, 2014 Sarah ~ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014

شاي - Tea - 차 - cha - 茶 ..
هو تلكَ النبتة الصغيرة التي يستخرج منها ذلكَ الشراب الجميل اللون والزكي الرائحة - الشاي ..

ركز هذا الكتاب والذي كتب قبل أكثر من 100 عام على ثقافة الشاي في اليابان ، والمرتبطة بطقوس الجمال والتهذيب .
والتركيز الأكبر كانَ على تصحيح أفكار الغربيين الخاطئة خاصة عن شعوب آسيا واليابان على وجه الخصوص .
رغَم ضخامة هذه المواضيع إلا أن الكتاب جاءَ غارقاً في البساطة من وجهة نظري فهو لم يناقش هذه المواضيع إلا بـشكل عابر ..
تمنيت لو كانَ أكثر تعمقاً..
يظهر جلياً ثقافة الكاتب وإلمامه بكا
Deniz Balcı
Çay işi Uzak-doğu'da özellikle Japonya'da bizdeki gibi yalnız bir içme alışkanlığı değil. Eylemin yapılma amacı ve şekli, oldukça spiritüel bazı şeylere dayandırılmış. Hem ruhani bir eylem olarak yapılan, hem de estetik seremonilerle bir haz alma, dinginleşme aracına dönüştürülen çay olayına, onların gözüyle bakmak için kitap en doğru tercih. Zaten önemli bir klasik sayılmakta bu kitap. Ancak daha ayrıntılı ve pragmatik bilgiler sunacağı yönünde beklentim vardı. Beklediğime göre oldukça sade kal ...more
Nami
Apr 03, 2008 Nami rated it really liked it
What a beautiful book. It's amazing to see what changes in this world, and also what stays the same. 4/08

I had a moment of epiphany yesterday, when I realized that I wanted to study the tea ceremony (again) while I'm in Japan, and said something to my mom about wanting to find a teacher. Then today by total coincidence one of my students hands me a page she wrote for me about Chado (the tea ceremony) and the end of is says "I hope that this answer will encourage you to open the door to Chado lea
Sawsan
Jun 19, 2016 Sawsan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
الشاي ليس مجرد مشروب لكنه أسلوب حياة في الحضارة اليابانية, يتكلم الكاتب عن الشاي والطقوس الجمالية الخاصة به ليوضح اختلاف حضارة بلده عن حضارة الغرب لبيان ان كل حضارة لها خصوصية,عجبني كلام الكاتب بفخر عن حجرة الشاي وطريقة بناءها واعتبارها دار للسلام,وأثر معلمي الشاي في الحياة اليابانية
"لا نجد أي فرع من فروع الفن لم يترك معلمو الشاي فيه بصمات عبقرياتهم"
Omama
Jun 17, 2013 Omama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
هذا الكتاب بمثابة همسة رقيقة من شخص محب للفن. ليس كتابًا عن الشاي فحسب بل عن الجمال حين يكون أسلوبًا للحياة، عن تناغم الإنسان والطبيعة، عن لغات الزهور، والعبق الآتي من الماضي، ومتعة الحديث عن ما تتوارثه الأجيال من السحر، عن فظاظة البشر في تقدير كل ما سبق وعن المحاولات المستميتة للقليل منهم في إعادة التوازن.
أروى
قرأت هذا الإقتباس المأخوذ من الكتاب وتحمست للبحث عنه:

أوكاكورا كاكوزو قال في كتابه الشاي: "ينطوي الشاي على سحرٍ خفيٍ يجعله لا يقاوم، ويمنحه القدرة على الإحساس بالمثالية، فالشاي ينأى بنفسه عن غطرسة النبيذ، وعن غرور القهوة، وعن البراءة المتكلفلة في براءة نبتة الكاكاو".
Meghan Fidler
Feb 14, 2014 Meghan Fidler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was, at first, disappointed with this little book, for I had mistaken it as a partial translation of one it's elders: the Classic of Tea (茶经) written by Lu Yu (733-804), for example. The fact that Okakura was an Japanese immigrant living in Boston with rich art patrons for followers seemed like an early 20th century version of Karate Kid sensibilities: a "wisdom of the East" transmitted to rich whites in poorly translated Daoist quips.
This initial impression was much mistaken. The book conta
Shari
Apr 22, 2014 Shari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, non-fiction
Move aside Coffee for here comes Tea with its loaded history.

Never before had I seen a beverage so defended, and so cherished, as in The Book of Tea. Okakura's work explores the history, and impact, of tea in the evolution of the Japanese culture. He went to great lengths to present this objective that he had to use (coin?) the word "Teaism" to point out its singularity. He claims that tea permeated the Japanese way of life in his time, and before. If it was so in the 20th century, so it is now.
mindaugas
Feb 03, 2011 mindaugas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody with a philosophical mind wanting to learn more on minimalism and simplicity
at first as the title suggests, i thought this book was merely about tea. however, it is about much more than that. to put it justly it uses tea and tea ceremony as a metaphor for deeper cultural, aesthetic, historical and philosophic issues. it uses tea as a metaphor to examine many facets of japanese life and culture. it is quite interesting and intriguing and and sheds light on a good deal of issues that many ponder on with regards to the orient. it was written for westerners in mind to have ...more
Robert
Dec 18, 2010 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book isn't just about tea; it's more about Zen and aesthetics. I loved the following story:

Once in the Ravine of Lungmen stood a Kiri tree, a veritable king of the forest. It reared its head to talk to the stars; its roots struck deep into the earth, mingling their bronzed coils with those of the silver dragon that slept beneath. And it came to pass that a mighty wizard made of this tree a wondrous harp, whose stubborn spirit should be tamed but by the greatest musicians. For long the inst
Mansfield Public ...: The Book of Tea 1 6 Aug 08, 2014 06:12AM
  • In Praise of Shadows
  • The Tea Companion
  • Wabi Sabi: The Japanese Art of Impermanence
  • Classic of Tea: Origins and Rituals
  • As I Crossed a Bridge of Dreams: Recollections of a Woman in Eleventh-Century Japan
  • The Harney & Sons Guide to Tea
  • Fires on the Plain
  • One Hundred Leaves: A new annotated translation of the Hyakunin Isshu
  • The Pillow Book
  • A Tractate on Japanese Aesthetics
Okakura Kakuzō (岡倉覚三), also known as Okakura Tenshin (岡倉 天心), was a Japanese scholar who contributed the development of arts in Japan. Outside Japan, he is chiefly remembered today as the author of 'The Book of Tea'.

Born in Yokohama to parents originally from Fukui, Okakura learned English while attending a school operated by Christian missionary, Dr. Curtis Hepburn. At 15, he entered Tokyo Imperi
More about Okakura Kakuzō...

“In joy or sadness flowers are our constant friends.” 124 likes