The Cask of Amontillado

The Cask of Amontillado

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  33,031 ratings  ·  448 reviews
Do your students enjoy a good laugh? Do they like to be scared? Or do they just like a book with a happy ending? No matter what their taste, our Creative Short Stories series has the answer.

We've taken some of the world's best stories from dark, musty anthologies and brought them into the light, giving them the individual attention they deserve. Each book in the series has

Published February 2nd 2004 by BookSurge Classics (first published November 1846)

To ask other readers questions about The Cask of Amontillado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cask of Amontillado

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerEnder's Game by Orson Scott Card1984 by George Orwell
Best Ending
66th out of 980 books — 1,709 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Giver by Lois LowryThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
I'm glad someone made me read this book
129th out of 1,396 books — 3,019 voters

More lists with this book...

Glenn Russell
The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe is a classic tale of revenge. Since there are dozens of posts here, my review will take a particular slant: what German pessimistic philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer has to say about the psychology of revenge and how the revengeful narrator in Poe’s tale relates to Schopenhauer’s insights.

Schopenhauer says we all suffer as the result of nature or chance but, as humans, we recognizes that is simply the way life works. He then writes, “Suffering caused by t...more
Gellie
Part of our CA-E curriculum (Communication Arts- English) is to read and discuss the Cask of Amontillado. While I was reading it alone, I didn't think much of it. (Although, that shouldn't be surprising since I have to read a good book twice to really appreciate it. It's superduper awesome if I only read it once and loved it) But upon discussing it in class, analyzing every freaking detail, I became immersed in it.

I'm a scaredy cat by nature. Don't get me wrong. I love rapelling, bungee jumping...more
Kelly
This was the only thing I enjoyed reading at Catholic school. A fellow student's scribbled creative curses on the margins of our religion class handouts nonwithstanding. Poe's atmospheric talents are undeniable- the man even inspired Baudelaire with a new level of excitement (the dark, brooding kind of course) about how dark life can be. It shall thrill my inner 14 year old heart forever.
Sarah Marie
I had to read this for school and I absolutely loved it. Maybe the reason I enjoyed it so much was because I read it for school and we talked about irony. Talking about the story made me think more into it and now I think it's brilliant. I had already been intrigued, but the story just proved to be amazing.
علی
داستان "چیلیک آمونتیلادو" توسط احمد میرعلایی به فارسی ترجمه شده است. احمد گلشیری هم با نام "بشکه ی آمونتیلادو" آن را ترجمه کرده است که در مجموعه ی داستان و نقد داستان چاپ شده.
cindy
I didn't seem to learn my lesson. Do not listen to Edgar Allan Poe audiobook when you think you are alone! It will give you arrhythmia. For sure.

Yeah, I did that (again) during lunch break, it was quite, so I took my phone, put my earphones and listen to this, The Cask of Amontadillo (I read The Sherlockian a while ago and it was mention by ACD character, hence 'curious'). Closed my eyes... and listened.

Arrhythmia!!

The story itself was rather straight point. Fortnato did something that insult Mo...more
Ken Moten

My 2nd review of Poe is (not surprisingly) my 2nd favorite Poe book. This book was read for 11th grade English and I have to say that this better than expected book came out of a better than expected class-but that is for another story.

(view spoiler) Well, as I have just finished reading Crime and Punishment, this book loomed heavy on my mind. I don't know if Fyodor Dostoyevsky had ever picked up this book but the similarities and differences...more
Hensley
"The Cask of Amontillado" - the story that introduced me to Mr. Poe and his dark-ingenuity. Actually, his first work that I have read. I was 18 then some time ten years ago.

The story is placid and dark as velvet. Deception at its finest interpretation. The image of death in progress, a seem-to-be-pause until the end. Something you will not see in any regular story.

If you are young to understand the word revenge, do not read it. Also, if you are narrowminded to morbidness. I suggest you grab a d...more
Jill
This one was certainly not my favorite, but it was masterfully written. There are wonderful tools of symbolism and foreshadowing. It's a pity I don't know Latin or French, because Poe tends to shower these throughout his pieces, and without translations, they mean little to me. Again, the iconic elements - seemingly motiveless revenge, the narrator also being the murderer, etc. Terrifying that the human imagination can conjure up this sort of image, and perhaps the most disturbing bit is how the...more
Leonard
“A wrong is unredressed when the retribution overtakes its redresser. It is equally unredressed when the avenger fails to make himself felt as such to him who has done the wrong.” With this cruel vengeance Montresor, with malicious patience and deceptive friendliness, lured Fortunato into the vault and buried him alive in a niche. The reader knows the target to be doomed and watched the drunken man step deeper into the snare.
As usual, Poe was able to portray the criminal mind, with its unrepent...more
HeavyReader
I believe I had to read this short story in 10th grade...oh, no, it must have been in 11th grade when we covered American literature. I think we had a whole section on Edgar Allan and we read several of his poems and short stories.

This story is twisted like all his others. Chilling.
Sarah ( Paris )
لم ترقني كثيرا ..
غريبة ..
كمية الحقد التي تعتمل في نفس البطل
غريبة ..
وتدفعه لدفن غريمه حياً ..
لم افهمها جيدا مما اضطرني أن أقرأها من نسختين مختلفتين ..
Erika
Loved the irony used in the story, dark humor is effective to the story. Confusing at first, but after further discussion, understood at a different level.
Zulu
Brr! This one leaves a chill up your spine, doesn't it? All the more so since we don't know why Montressor does it. Was he really wronged by Fortunado, or was it simply a matter of luck shining more brightly on another man? Fortunado is in the Masons, his family is large and prosperous, where Montressor's is in decline. But what could Fortunado alone have done in order to cause that? It seems to be the work of ages, and it's just that Montressor blames Fortunado because he's a symbol.

I like all...more
Anusree Burman
Edgar Allan Poe's stories are artfully written with the utmost care; the intentions of the protagonist, the motives behind the action and the moral chaos resulting therein are exquisitely portrayed. I agree his stories are essentially Gothic in nature but I believe they are reflections of the inner conflicts he faced which he subtly concealed as horror in his stories. I was amazed to learn that he wrote stories of this genre but there is no denying the fact that he is a master storyteller. I am...more
H.orses
This isn't exactly a book, its just one of Edgar Allan Poe's short stories. I don't know why I liked this so much, maybe it was all the ironic parts, it just makes me laugh even though its all about a murder. Is it just me? Maybe, but its an awesome story that I was really happy to get to do a project on in English. Out of all our short stories this was my most favorite. Just sends a not so friendly reminder not to betray your friends. Or you just might end up walled up in come icky catacombs wi...more
Paul Holcomb
*Spoilers throughout*

Throughout “The Cask of Amontillado,” Poe uses a variety of elements that result in the disturbing, suspenseful, darkly humorous story it is. The first thing the reader realizes as they begin the tale is that Montresor is an utterly unreliable source. He gives no reasoning as to why he wants Fortunato dead; he merely states, “The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult I vowed revenge.” Given such a vague explanation, th...more
Stefanie
Love me some Poe!!
Artavazd
Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Cask of Amontillado” is one of his many fantastic short stories, and in fact his last one, written a few years before his death. It tells a story of vengeance and retribution, utilizing some rich and powerful vocabulary along the way – which is only a plus.

SPOILERS

I’ll begin with a brief introduction to the story’s plot. It tells a story of two old friends, one of which –Fortunato, has deeply insulted the other – the narrator. The narrator, whose name is not mentioned unti...more
Elizabeth
This book is dark and twisted like all of Poe's stories but this one was my favorite. I loved the irony of the whole story. Montressor felt he had been insulted by Fortunato so he leads him into the catacombs to kill him. The irony is that Fortunato's own pride killed him b/c all Montressor had to do was indulge and manipulate his pride and he followed Montressor right into his secret plot. Loved this one.
David jones
This is a really good story. I just read it this morning and I love it even more now, than I did when I first read it. It is a bit creepy, with good character developement throughout the few ages this story is. I think this is one of the easier edgar allan poe stories to follow, since there was dialogue interspersed throughout. I recommend this story to fans of Poe, or anyone who likes a good horror story.
Proctsa23
What a psycho Poe is. But I must admit, he was a very capable writer....he makes my skin crawl with this horribly creepy story. I must say that I could perfectly imagine the scene he wrote and I loved that his main character was bagging on the guy he was with in his mind while pretending to be kind...just made it even more awful the way it ends....CHILLING AND CREEPY without GORE! A+
Ashley W
I had to read this for my Literary History II class at college, and wow...Edgar Allan Poe was like the nineteenth century version of Stephen King. I actually have no idea which man is creepier. The part at the end was just creepy, and the narrator, in my opinion, is a crazy nutcase. We never learn exactly how Fortunato annoyed the narrator, but it is clear that he dearly paid for it...
Jessica Andersen
I did a quick read of Poe's classic tale of revenge in preparation for reading The Serpent of Venice: A Novel. I think I had probably read The Cask of Amontillado in school at some point, and maybe even afterwards once, but it had been a long time.

The story is about a man who has finally hit on the perfect revenge, although I was unclear on exactly why he needed revenge at all. The plan was to lure his enemy deep into the catacombs to taste a rare wine and then chain him up and brick him in.

Po...more
Stacy Nyikos
In The Art of Fiction, Gardner labels Poe’s, “The Cask of Amontillado,” as a groundbreaking piece without a beginning or middle, but only, an end (47). I would argue that “Amontillado” does have a very truncated beginning and middle of sorts, i.e. the first three paragraphs. These introductory paragraphs give the reader some inkling as to why the narrator avenges himself on Fortunato. Nevertheless, Fortunato’s specific crime is not spelled out, nor are all of the steps the narrator goes through...more
Miriam
This was not the first novel by Poe that I read, but it was the one that made me begin to admire his litteral skills.
He really do have his way with words, and a way of bringing you in to the story.
Yet, when it comes to the actual story, it felt very vague. I felt extremely unsatisfied by the ending. In fact, when I read the last page, I flipped it back and forth more than once looking for the continuation.
And so were my feelings when reading many of his works.
It often ended with the though "t...more
Sara
This is a wonderful short story, where I discovered that Poe never fails to surprise me when he wants. I'm calmly reading what he describes, when suddenly I find myself wondering how did it come to that. In this story, I even had to read the end again and again, because I couldn't believe my eyes!
Lauren
"I forget your arms."
"A huge human foot d'or, in a field azure; the foot crushes a serpent rampant whose fangs are imbedded in the heel."
"And the motto?"

"Nemo me impune lacessit." ["No one can injure me with impunity."]
"Good!" he said.

Victoria Lee
Great read

Great read love this book Edgar Allan Poe is
the best author ever published in my mind. must read this book.
Tatuu
"I must not only punish, but punish with impunity. A wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes its redresser. It is equally unredressed when the avenger fails to make himself felt as such to him who has done the wrong."
The Macabre &amp...: The Cask of Amontillado 4 19 Dec 12, 2012 05:58PM
Classic Horror Lo...: The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe *Spoilers* 18 29 Oct 22, 2011 05:55PM
  • The Scarlet Ibis: The Collection of Wonder
  • The Most Dangerous Game
  • The Minister's Black Veil
  • The Lottery (Tale Blazers: American Literature)
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
  • The Yellow Wallpaper
  • The Rats in the Walls
  • To Build A Fire
  • Araby (Dubliners)
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • The Ransom of Red Chief
  • Paul's Case
  • Hills like White Elephants
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” and “The Fall of the House of Usher.” This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundr...more
More about Edgar Allan Poe...
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings The Complete Stories and Poems The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales Essential Tales and Poems The Pit and the Pendulum

“A million candles have burned themselves out. Still I read on. (Montresor)” 38 likes
“Yes," I said, "for the love of God!” 25 likes