Start by marking “A History of My Times” as Want to Read:
A History of My Times

A History of My Times

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,228 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Thucydides' magisterial history told of the unhappy conflict of Greeks against the Greeks in the Peloponnesian War, but his narrative broke off in 411 B.C., seven years before the end, and Greeks were to continue fighting one another for many more years. Xenophon continues the account to 362 B.C. These years saw Athens humbled by Sparta; Sparta humbled by Athens and her fo ...more
Paperback, Penguin Classics, 432 pages
Published May 31st 1979 by Penguin Books (first published -361)

To ask other readers questions about A History of My Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of My Times

Todd N
Xmas 2009 gift. This is the third deluxe Greek history produced by retired-oil-businessman-turned-classicist Robert Strassler. I greatly enjoyed and recommend all three of them.

Xenophon's Hellenika picks up a few months after Thucydides, with a few years left in the Pelonnesian War.

Xenophon is not as good a historian as either Herotodus or Thucydides in my thoroughly uninformed opinion. He's not as earthy or digressive (or as gullible) as old Herotodus and not as impartial and logical as Thucydi
Jesse
Xenophon could not believe what happened at Leuctra so, apparently, he had to aggrandize Spartan achievement throughout the preceding years from the end of the Pelopennisian War. Or, possibly, influenced by Spartan censorship, Xenophon couldn't help lying. In any case, this is a great continuation from Thucydides (as it was meant to be) and horrifically details the reign of the thirty tyrants in Athens, the virtues, vices and campaigns of Agesilaus and Lycurgus (the former having given Xenophon ...more
Patrick
Xenophon is an essential source for the period he writes about (because we have few other contemporary accounts), but his "history" is so sketchy and biased, omitting, for the most part, any point of view besides that of Sparta, or any actions that might put other states in a better light, and Sparta in a worse one. Despite being a soldier, he is pretty uninterested in tactics and is utterly clueless about strategy and policy. Following Thucydides, he includes speeches intended to sway governmen ...more
Chris Wolfington
To begin with, Hellenika deliberately starts where Thucydides' book leaves off, and covers the end of the Peloponnesian War. Xenophon is not as black-and-white as Thucydides, and he is not as sensational or inquisitive as Herodotus. In many ways he is an average, well-rounded historian, just better than most.

After the war, Sparta is hegemon of Greece. She uses her power for the benefit of Greece, or so the Spartans would argue; other city-states disagree. When Sparta threatens the Persian empire
David Sarkies
Feb 16, 2013 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who are really into Ancient Greece
Recommended to David by: My Classics Lecturer (Sort of)
Shelves: history
After reading Herodotus and Thucydides, and also the Anabasis, I must agree with a number of other people that Xenophon's account of the period of Hellenic history from the closing stages of the Peloponesian War to, well, some point in time in which he stopped writing, was rather disappointing and, well, without any point whatsoever. The Anabasis is a gripping story of how a group of Greek soldiers get trapped thousands of miles behind enemy lines and have to make a long march back home. Herodo ...more
James Murphy
I think this an exceptional reading experience and an exceptional experience in history. This history in the Landmark series edited by Robert Strassler follows the editions of The Peloponnesian War by Thucydides and The Histories by Herodotus. We record and read history all the time. Xenophon's writings demonstrate, as those of Thucydides and Herodotus, that even 2400 years ago history was being recorded in accounts so gripping that readers today can't put them down. These Landmark Greek histori ...more
Victor Whitman
I can't say enough about these Landmark editions. Xenophon had to follow Thucydides, and so he falls a little short, but the maps, explanatory notes and essays bring this fascinating period to life.
Parke Troutman
Actually read the Landmark translation, which is rich with maps. This book picks up where Thucydides'cliff-hanger (because unfinished) History of the Peloponnesian War.
Bruce
This is a necessary book for reviewing the ending of the Peloponnesian War, taking up after Thucydides leaves off. That having been said, Xenophon's work is more memoir than history and thus compares somewhat unfavorably with Thucydides. Nonetheless, it is interesting to hear about events in early 4th century BC Greece from more of a Spartan than Athenian perspective. How clear it is that the Greek city-states were unable to think beyond their model and forge a true federation. Instead, they see ...more
David Kowalski
Beautifully constructed translation with copious footnotes and maps as well as balance provided by external semi-contemporary sources on the more contentious issues.
Xenophon ain't Thucydides, but then again no one else is either. His style, while lacking Thuc's dignity and grandeur ( the template that Tacitus and ultimately Gibbon would follow) has some beautiful moments and almost always serves his purpose. The last of the big three, this deserves to be read along with Herodotus and Thucydides
Cameron
A dizzying memoir of the final years of the Peloponnesian War and the preceding periods that saw both Sparta and Athens humbled by the Theban empire. An interesting survey of the civil wars that plagued ancient Greece from the early fourth century to the rise of Alexander of Macedonia. Xenophon's pro-Spartan, dilettantish brand of history lacks the sophistication or seriousness of Herodotus or Thucydides, but nonetheless: the Hellenica is required reading for the amateur classicist.
Adam Gutschenritter
It was an interesting history of the later years after the Peloponnesian Wars. I have a feeling that I missed some of the story having read this book first as opposed to Thucydides. Still at times I loved the story and much like all Greek histories it is in the simplistic statement of fact that found the most pleasure in reading it. I would still like to read Xenophon in what he is most known for, horseman/cavalry and will return to him again.
umberto
Jan 15, 2010 umberto marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-history
I bought this hardcover on Jan. 15, 2010 (Friday) and had ordered anothet two, that is, The Landmark Herodotus & The Landmark Thucydides (via Kinokuniya, each book would arrive within 2 months and 3 weeks respectively!) since they are more convenient for me to read for better understanding as compared to those textuality without any figure, map, table, footnote, etc. Therefore, I've found this three-book series is readable and thus enjoyable.
Gavin
This takes up the account of Thucydides from where The History of the Peloponessian War breaks off and completes the history of the said war before going on to cover the period up to around the 370s B. C. E., if memory serves. It is very much anecdotal and from internal descriptions it has been established that Xenophon took part in some, particularly the earlier in date, of the incidents described.
Cassandra Kay Silva
Despite the "My" in the title. This work has considerably fewer references to Xenophon than his Persian Expedition (Yes I am once again making fun of Xenophon). It was also more boring than that account. I don't know if he just wasn't in as interesting of a mood or if these battles were just more bland but eh? Kind of boring Xenophon... come on where is all the self flattery? We love that stuff!
Charles Puskas
Excellent maps, footnotes, and appendixes in a recent translation by John Marincola, edited by Strassler. Helpful comparisons with Diodorus Siculus and Hellenica Oxyrhynchia provide us with a better picture of what took place between 410-36 in, e.g., Ionia, Sparta, Athens, Thebes, Corinth and Arcadia with Agesilaos and Archidamos of Sparta, Epaminodas of Thebes.
Erik Graff
Mar 06, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peloponnesian War fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
I read Thucydides in college and a good deal about the Peloponnesian Wars afterwards, enough to know of Xenophon's continuation of the cashiered Athenian general's account. Finally, I got around to reading the thing, seeing what the source for most of our information of the war's culmination and aftermath actually contained.
Jodi
Great as a historical document. I would not recommend it to anybody who is not studying ancient history as it is extremely long winded difficult book that requires an in depth understanding of the Peloponnesian War and Political Grecian Turmoil before reading.
Rje
Finding the layout of the text rather awkward, I glanced at the Web for alternatives. I found that precisely the same edition is available as a Gutenberg text (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1174) -- but with spelling corrections missing in this paperback edition.
Bill
The Landmark editions make classics as understandable as they can be without the benefit of in-person academic guidance.
Willow
Xenophon is very sad. But it is excellent and curiously appropriate for the situation with America at the moment...
Sergio
Part of the greek mosaic. Not to be read as pure history, but as a memoir.
Mike Anderson
Jan 01, 2011 Mike Anderson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All those looking to read primary sources.
Shelves: history-greece
Incredible new version with great maps and photographs.
9 3/4
One of the masterpieces of Ancient Greek Literature.
David
A good book to understand Greece in the 4th century BCE.
Jossalyn
wanted to read the source material for Alexander
Kurt
Classics are classic!
Jeffry
Given how little we have how do I rate the ancient sources other than "must read?"
  • The Campaigns of Alexander
  • Menander: The Plays and Fragments
  • Selected Political Speeches
  • The Secret History
  • Soldiers and Ghosts: A History of Battle in Classical Antiquity
Xenophon (Ancient Greek Ξενοφῶν, Modern Greek "Ξενοφών", "Ξενοφώντας"; ca. 431 – 355 BC), son of Gryllus, of the deme Erchia of Athens, was a soldier, mercenary and a contemporary and admirer of Socrates. He is known for his writings on the history of his own times, preserving the sayings of Socrates, and the life of ancient Greece.

Historical and biographical works
Anabasis (or The Persian Expediti
More about Xenophon...
The Persian Expedition Conversations of Socrates The Education of Cyrus The Memorable Thoughts of Socrates The Art of Horsemanship