The Business of Books: How International Conglomerates Took Over Publishing and Changed the Way We Read

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  30 reviews
“A riveting chronicle of the rise and fall of the American reader.”—Village Voice

Post-war American publishing has been ruthlessly transformed since André Schiffrin joined its ranks in 1956. Gone is a plethora of small but prestigious houses that often put ideas before profit in their publishing decisions, sometimes even deliberately. Now six behemoths share 80% of the mark...more
Published November 17th 2001 by Verso (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Business of Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Business of Books

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskySpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonGirl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierConfessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire
Best Books of 1999
141st out of 215 books — 106 voters
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Books on Books: Bookmaking, Biblioclasm, Bibliophilia
220th out of 237 books — 268 voters

More lists with this book...

Will
Man, it bums me out that I'll never get to know André Schiffrin, the man is in an inspiration to me starting Deep Vellum, and I strive to follow in his footsteps--for example, I wrote a little piece about starting Deep Vellum in 2014 that merely echoes so much of what he wrote in this book in 2000! Beyond prescient, a sage, a mountain of a man, a publisher of integrity, a role model. RIP, sir.

"What has happened to the work of publishers is no worse than what has taken place in other liberal prof...more
Tosh
Since I started my Press I've read a lot of memoirs by publishers about their presses. This is an interesting book because it deals with the nature of capitalism in the book business. Most companies are purchased by larger companies and they become something else. Sometimes they become less interesting or a water-down version of their work in the past. The argument in this book is regarding the future of publishing and how it is chasing the dollar and in results sort of a dumming down or ignorin...more
Lobstergirl
A chilling tale of how consolidation among publishers and the demand for short-term profits led to the decline of quality books (including among university presses). Schiffrin edited at Pantheon for many years; his father, a Jewish European exile who fled Vichy France, was the founder of the well-respected publishing house Editions de la Pléiade before founding Pantheon. Once S.I. Newhouse bought Random House, things began to go downhill for Pantheon, and Schiffrin was forced out. In 1990 he fou...more
Travis
"Books today have become mere adjuncts to the world of the mass media, offering light entertainment and reassurances that all is for the best in this, the best of all possible worlds. The resulting control on the spread of ideas is stricter than anyone would have thought possible in a free society. The need for public debate and open discussion, inherent in the democratic ideal, conflicts with the ever-stricter demand for total profit."

"The idea that our society has been fundamentally affected b...more
Mike Violano
I enjoyed this book which is part history of post-WWII publishing, part memoir, and part critique of the publishing business mergers and acquisitions and its effect on literary publishing. As a memoir, Schiffrin is more bitter than sweet although his anecdotes about authors are fun and revealing. The historical notes document the breakthrough titles and authors of classics from Dr Zhivago, Anne Morrow Lindberg's Gift from the Sea, Studs Lonergan by James T. Farrell and oral histories by Studs Tu...more
trav
This book isn't exactly brimming with piz-zazz. As utterly fascinating as the subjects are it reads like a scholarly journal for most of it.
The best parts are where Schiffrin gives personal insights into the lives and personalities of some the great book publishers.
There is no doubt in my mind the Schiffrin is someone I'd like to have over for dinner and listen to more stories of publishing's successes and failures.
But without that pre-dinner drink in his hand it may all still be a bit dry.
It is...more
Karen
I got to thinking about this book recently. (Read: I was going through piles of stuff in my room and found this in one of the layers.) Anyway,

Schiffrin's book revealed much to me about the problems and perils in publishing. He alerted me to the dangers of placing commerce before culture. He uses his extensive experience to illustrate how publishing has changed, providing a detailed and diligent account. Also, I appreciate that he offers and examines solutions.

Another reader once told me that he...more
Agathe B
Parfois manichéen
Écueil ou nécessité de l'engagement ?
Un témoignage inscrit dans le passé, faisant écho à une lutte désormais perdue
Que penserait schiffrin de l'état actuel de l'édition ?
Jeff Phillips
I learned of this book perusing the site of the small press Two Dollar Radio, and am glad I learned of it, and eventually read it. Not only does it reflect the publishing industry, but of production and communication in general being driven by an obsession with money and growth. The final chapter has left me reverberating with both despair at how business in general is orchestrated by a handful of corporations, but with excitement at the hope of restarting industry from the ground up, with enoug...more
Katie
Another really interesting look at the changing history of the book publishing industry from an insider. Schiffrin's book is a bit more pessimistic than Jason Epstein's (in fact, Schiffrin attacks Epstein in The Business of Books for being too optimistic about the future of book publishing). And, clearly, as Schiffrin's experience at Pantheon demonstrates, the changes that have been brought to publishing as a result of corporate takeover leave much to be lamented. Even so, Schiffrin's new endeav...more
Todd
Made me realize how political the book/publishing industry is. Partly an autobiography, partly a survey of the business, and very much a critique of how greedy and anti-intellectual the industry has become.

It's kind of ridiculous how many names he drops and how many people he has met over the years, but I guess it comes with the territory. For example, he signed Matt Groenig in the early 1990s just as The Simpsons was getting huge. He drops all of these names casually as well as the titles of m...more
Stuart
Always was wondering just how corporate buyouts really were changing what I had access to as a reader. Well, here's the insider who has told it all. Awfully personal, awfully insiderish, but awfully clear-eyed about the corporate, bottom-line, best seller influences on the book world. Wasn't expecting to really get into this, but it was a one sitting dessert.

Schiffrin was responsible for first publishing Studs Terkel's books, found him based on some radio broadcast transcripts from Chicago. His...more
Christy
A careful, important informative look at the alteration of publishing from a visionary pursuit, the "gentleman's career" into a profit-driven market. Schiffrin is old-hat at publishing and a voice much needed in today's economic climate. I was reminded of the importance of small publishers and independent bookstores, and to the necessity of introducing readers to books in the old custom of intellectual stimulation and growth, distinct from the prevalent pursuit of financial gluttony.
Lauren
A short, very good book about the transformation of the publishing industry from a more interesting perspective than just another person bemoaning the death of books. Schiffrin writes well, and extremely modestly, given his own immense contribution to books/publishing/culture over the last 50 years (publisher of Studs Terkel! among many others.) Recommended reading even if you don't work in books, and if you do, while most of this is probably familiar, still worth a read.
Pauline
J'ai beaucoup apprécié ce livre. L'auteur y fait un portrait du système éditorial aux Etats-Unis qui est vraiment... très surprenant! (même si on sait déjà pas mal de choses sur le sujet). A travers l'exemple de "sa" maison d'édition, l'auteur nous plonge totalement dans son univers, et on a envie d'en savoir plus, de savoir comment les choses ont évolué.

Seul petit bémol, quelques passages un peu lourds, plus difficiles à lire.
Amanda
Very interesting read, though had some scary information about the publishing world! There seems to be more to the story though than Schiffrin offers, and I would have liked for him to explore some of the strengths of publishing house changes. All in all, though, I am a big supporter of independent book stores and publishing companies making decisions based on social change instead of profit gain.
Portia
Apr 10, 2008 Portia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lindsey Reilly
Recommended to Portia by: Read about it in Harper's magazine, in Schiffrin's own commentar
A very interesting accout from Andre' Schiffrin. This is a definitely a good book for anyone entering the publishing industry to read, about how very different publishing was before corporate conglomerates took over the industry. Also interesting for students of mass communication, journalism or related fields.

Looking forward to his most recent book as well.

Tishon
A fascinating and alarming (though not surprising) look into the world of publishing from the vantage point of a publishing vanguard. I'd recommend this to anyone interested in how we get information and who controls that information.

It's a quick, sharp and enjoyable read.
Kirstie
This book gives a history of the book publishing business starting just before World War II. It's sad to see how corporate America as really censored the market by not being willing to publish books that won't make a lot of money.
Brian
Very educational, very interesting, but almost feels cut short. Starts slow, but then again, the first chapter tends to be when it's covering the first thirty or so years of post-war (WWII) publishing.
Chris Kepner
This is an engrossing account of how publishing changed in the second half of the 20th century. Schiffrin discusses disturbing issues like market censorship in this informative yet accessible volume.
Kevin Kosar
I am glad a friend recommended this book to me. However, my review of it is less than enthusiastic. See it at http://kevinrkosar.com/wordpress/?p=1761.
Johnathan
Mar 06, 2007 Johnathan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers, people in publishint
This is a quick but thoroughly depressing read that shows how publishing has gotten swallowed up by big corporations. It also describes what publishing used to be like--noble and artistically driven.
Jeannette

Actually it was a 'fun' read. I loved to learn more about publishing. However, as much as I enjoyed André Schiffrin story, I didn't learn anything new about publishing and I'm no expert.
Cozette
So far this book continues to impress me with it's analysis of the changes in the publishing market. I especially like the examination of the political influences that impacted presses.
Alex Ainslie
Schiffrin opened my eyes to the world of publishing and the dangers of the giant profit-above-all-else media conglomerates. Save the independent publishers!
Victoria
Started for one class and reading for another. He's a great writer and there's something inspirational about his love for the good ol' days of publishing.
Tracy
Historical perspective of the changes in book publishing since the early 20th century. Schiffrin is neither romantic or apocalyptic, only realistic.
Mots-Insatiables
Une étude très intéressante, enrichie par l'expérience personnelle de l'auteur !
Freder
IMHO, the most important book about the book business ever published.
  • Book Business: Publishing Past, Present and Future
  • Merchants of Culture: The Publishing Business in the Twenty-First Century
  • Every Book Its Reader: The Power of the Printed Word to Stir the World
  • So Many Books: Reading and Publishing in an Age of Abundance
  • The Subversive Copy Editor: Advice from Chicago (or, How to Negotiate Good Relationships with Your Writers, Your Colleagues, and Yourself)
  • The Coming of the Book: The Impact of Printing, 1450-1800
  • Books: A Living History
  • Thanks, But This Isn't for Us: The Compassionate Guide to Understanding What's Wrong with Your Writing and Leaving the Rejection Pile for Good
  • Bibliotopia: Or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-All of Literary Facts & Curiosities
  • Lapsing Into a Comma: A Curmudgeon's Guide to the Many Things That Can Go Wrong in Print--and How to Avoid Them
  • Enchanted Hunters: The Power of Stories in Childhood
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • How to Grow a Novel: The Most Common Mistakes Writers Make and How to Overcome Them
  • Bone Handbook
  • The Gutenberg Elegies: The Fate of Reading in an Electronic Age
  • The Smithsonian Book of Books
  • The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction: 6 Steps to Writing and Publishing Your Bestseller!
  • The King's English: Adventures of an Independent Bookseller
André Schiffrin is a European-born American author, publisher and socialist (born 1935).
Schiffrin is the son of Jacques Schiffrin, a Russian Jew who emigrated to France and briefly enjoyed success there as publisher of the Bibliothèque de la Pléiade, which he founded, and which was bought by Gallimard, until he was dismissed on account of the anti-Jewish laws enforced by the Vichy regime. Jacques...more
More about André Schiffrin...
Dr. Seuss and Co. Go to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of America's Leading Comic Artists A Political Education: Coming of Age in Paris and New York Le contrôle de la parole Words & Money O Negócio dos Livros: Como as grandes corporações decidem o que você lê