Start by marking “The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book: Protect Yourself and Your Family from Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies--and More” as Want to Read:

The connection between inflammation and heart disease, arthritis, and other chronic ailments has become increasingly clear. Many food allergies and poor dietary choices over stimulate the immune system and cause inflammatory responses that erode the body’s wellness and pave the path for ill health. Based on her naturopathic practice, Jessica Black has devised a complete ...more
Paperback, 2nd, 260 pages
Published August 18th 2015 by Hunter House

To ask other readers questions about The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I actually picked this up more out of curiosity than anything else.

What I found was this to be an easy, informative read, with great recipes in the back. I was actually pretty surprised and impressed with all this book held and had to offer.

*An ARC Copy of this was provided by the Publisher, in exchange for an honest review.*
Heidi Cullinan
Good but got too pedantic and order-you-about. Were this the first book I read on moving to an anti-inflammatory diet, I'd have put it down and given up. Recipes are good and so is the science, but the delivery is rather a dry and unforgiving crust of whole-grain bread. Toast it and add some Earth Balance for next time.
Kate
Feb 14, 2012 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like cookbooks which combine recipes with nutritional information, so this book fit my preferences, and so overall I think it's quite a nice book. I can't really comment much on the nutritional information since I'm not so knowledgeable in that area; however, being quite sympathetic to naturopathic medicine, I found that it generally coincided with how I approach food and nutrition and certainly expanded my limited knowledge. However, I don't agree 100% with her. For example, I'm not on ...more
AmberBug *shelfnotes.com*
This has made me realize how much processed junk can do to your system. I've been having stomach issues and decided now was the time to make the change. The author pumps you up with great information (even though she can sound a little condescending) and yummy recipes. She helps you restock your cupboard so you have many of the unusual staples that are used for substitutions - such as coconut oil, flax seeds, etc... You'll learn to omit certain foods and how to live without them. I don't know if ...more
Amie
Sep 27, 2016 Amie rated it it was ok
Very helpful and informative! My only con of the book is that it is a little too technical and difficult for the average joe to understand.
Dean C. Moore
Nov 05, 2014 Dean C. Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a few arthritis sufferers in my family who I thought could benefit from this book. I read it before recommending and forwarding it. The author does a great job at presenting the medical theories behind what causes inflammation and how to avoid flair ups with simple dietary alterations. The bulk of the book is devoted to practicing what she preaches with one great recipe after another, which makes it easy on those who don’t cook much, or find they lack the creative energy and wherewithal ...more
Sara Q
I must confess that I did not read all of the first section of the book, in which the author explains anti-inflammation diets and health concerns, but the bits I skimmed over all looked really helpful and I'm looking forward to spending more time with that section when we get our own copy. She does have a wonderful chart that details which foods to include and which to avoid, plus sample meal plans for summer and winter.
I focused on the recipes in the book and there were many, many ideas in her
Arlene
Aug 16, 2014 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Black explains the diet while also explaining doing what you can (of the diet) is better than doing nothing at all. She maintains that being realistic (about what you will and won't cut out or add to your diet) is better than going about this diet aiming to be a perfectionist about it. I find that refreshing.

She isn't trying to convert anyone into something they won't be able to maintain in their own lives.

Meanwhile, her reasoning (why should I eat the anti inflamation diet) is to the point and
Linda
Sep 26, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book etc. was a First Read-Giveaway Win (free book sent by publisher).

I love this book. The first 57 pages are chock filled with concise information on Anti-Inflammation with good reference onf stress. The How to Use the Book really teaches How To Use with pracitical and common sense direction.

The Recipes are well-worth reading through. Each offers substitutions as well as a "Healthy Tidbit". Then each recipe has a Nutritional Analysis per serving. The only
Carrie Kellenberger
This book highlights the connection between autoimmune disorders and poor choices in diet. Many foods, especially processed foods, act by overstimulating the immune system and cause inflammation. While some of the information in this book is a bit contradictory, I was still inspired to start tracking my own diet in an attempt to determine which, if any, foods that I am consuming are causing my AS to flare. I started an elimination diet shortly after finishing this book and discovered that I ...more
Tess Olson
Aug 23, 2016 Tess Olson rated it really liked it
I received this book from Goodreads Giveaways. Thank you Turner Publishing!

I appreciate cookbooks that provide a combination of nutritional information with recipes that target a specific health issue. Dr. Black is very concise and clear in her presentation of naturopathic medicine. It can be hard to change your diet and focus on healthy eating if you don't have some practical ideas. I like the quick reference list of items to have in your kitchen and the summary diet table. I also appreciate th
Cindi
Mar 03, 2011 Cindi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, 2011
This is one of many health related books I've read lately. I'm trying to glean ideas from here and there. This one has many recipes (the book is actually mostly recipes) and I plan to try some of them. It helped me to understand inflammation, which in my mind had been akin to water retention and that's not what it's all about. Some in depth talk about food allergies. The "diet" she suggests takes you off milk, wheat, nightshades, citrus and more for one month and then adds them back in slowly to ...more
Elaine Roberson
Dec 25, 2015 Elaine Roberson rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book from Goodreads. The book is well written and gives an easy to understand explanation of how diet can cause inflammation. It describes how to use diet to reduce inflammation. Many great recipes are included to help you obtain this goal. The recipes are simple to do and do not sound complicated. I especially like the healthy tidbit included at the end of each recipe that gives information of the health benefits of one of the ingredients used in the recipe. It ...more
N.L. Riviezzo
Immensely impersonal writing with a bit of superiority complex. The book contradicts itself on occasion which is entertaining but makes me question the overall content. Some of the recipes are flawed especially the gluten-free baked goods - the proportions are off. Some have too much liquid, others have too little. I do a lot of gluten-free baking and know a bad GF baked good recipe when I see one. :) All in all, a disappointing read.
Sharon
Alisha
Jul 20, 2012 Alisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Good, simple intro to those with chronic inflammatory disease who don't want to get bogged down in the science. There are also lots of recipes, substitutions. If you want an all-in book, this is not it.
Christopher
May 05, 2013 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice concise look at how to reduce overall inflammation through diet. I've tried a handful of the recipes so far and they've been very tasty and easy to make. Like all diets, it's not going to be right for everyone. For me though, it's been working quite well.
Marie
Apr 19, 2013 Marie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
No photos. I disagree with a 60%carb diet and believe that certain cuts of porks or beef are not harmful. I have read and follow other anti inflammatory books which I find more aligned with my needs.
Tracy
Jan 21, 2011 Tracy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why are naturopaths so annoying? I truly love their work but cringe at their humorless writing and speaking. Not particularly well written. I totally believe in the diet but only through experimentation - not through the logic and words of its advocates. Haven't cooked recipes yet.
heather
Nov 04, 2008 heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who believe in stuff
I think my friend Rachel said it best. "The diet of a vegan with celiac disease and leukemia heals everyone?" This book scared me and then I thought about the Nietzchean ascetic ideal and how it's embodied in contemporary medicine so it wasn't a total waste of $15.
Fredrick Danysh
Dr. Black explores inflammation as a cause of disease and poor health including type II diabetes. Foods to avoid are discussed as are foods that benefit the person. A collection of simple recipes are provided. This was a free review copy from Turner Publishing.
Diana
Feb 02, 2010 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read/have for those with gluten intolerance as well as inflammatory issues. Easy to understand explanations. Some contradictions.
JESSICA BROWN
JESSICA BROWN rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
June
June rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Mishele
Mishele rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2008
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2015
heather stringer
heather stringer rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Juan
Juan rated it it was ok
Sep 09, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Marleen
Marleen rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2015
  • The Inflammation Syndrome: The Complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies, and Asthma
  • Meals That Heal Inflammation: Embrace Healthy Living and Eliminate Pain, One Meal at a Time
  • Relearning to See: Improve Your Eyesight -- Naturally!
  • The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook: Breakfasts, Entrées, and More
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • The Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food
  • The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-free Meals the Easy Way
  • Oldman's Guide to Outsmarting Wine : 108 Ingenious Shortcuts to Navigate the World of Wine with Confidence and Style
  • The Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget
  • The Acid-Alkaline Food Guide
  • The Immune System Recovery Plan: A Doctor's 4-Step Program to Treat Autoimmune Disease
  • The Home Creamery: Make Your Own Fresh Dairy Products; Easy Recipes for Butter, Yogurt, Sour Cream, Creme Fraiche, Cream Cheese, Ricotta, and More!
  • Breaking the Vicious Cycle: Intestinal Health Through Diet
  • Thrive Foods: 200 Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health
  • The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity
  • The Autoimmune Solution: Prevent and Reverse the Full Spectrum of Inflammatory Symptoms and Diseases
  • Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook