Holy Bible: The New Revised Standard Version Bible with Apocrypha

Holy Bible: The New Revised Standard Version Bible with Apocrypha

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The Oxford NRSV Bible offers readers an unbeatable combination of quality construction, affordability, and the most accurate translation of the Bible available today.
Churches and homes across America overwhelmingly choose the NRSV for its easy-to-understand translation and its sensitivity to inclusive language. A multi-denominational committee of scholars from around the...more
Published April 12th 1990 by Oxford University Press, USA

Christopher
Mar 16, 2011 Christopher rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a functional and portable NRSV w/Apocrypha
Shelves: bible
It seems that all the reviews for this bible are soap box oriented: either digs at the bible in general, or, someone dislikes the version so they are touting about the virtues of the 1611 King James version, etc. This review, however, is based solely upon my observations of the book itself. As such, it will be short, simple, and to the point.

I purchased my copy at a used bookstore. As such, I did not get a dust cover (I hate them anyways) with it, but I did get a bible that had obviously never...more
Eric
I mean, anything supposedly written though the direct inspiration of an all-powerful deity has got to be ok. In all seriousness though, as a student of religion this is my go-to bible for any reference or interested reading. The translation is one of the best modern translations and was done by a panel of biblical scholars in Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic etc. making it probably the most accurately translated Bible and the one preferred for most scholarly work.
Claven
I use the Life Application version of this translation for most of my personal study, and have found this translation and version to be most reliable. I have only very minor disagreements in the translation, and in the Life Application Bible, very few disagreements with interpretation. It is what I use most frequently for personal study, as well as preparing sermons, etc.
-Claven
Steveg
Some pretty good stuff in this book Some of it you have to take with a grain of salt. The writing is shaky at times and the main character doesn't really show up much, but he seems to influence the rest of the characters.
Stephanie
One of the most accurate and readable translations including the New Testament and Apocrypha, with very little biased religious interference, from an academic perspective.
Chelsea
closest i will come to reading it all thanks to the old testement class. actualy some intresting stuff. possibly worth coming back to for some leasur reading.
Janae
I only read the apocryphal portion. Very interesting! It is pretty obvious why much of it was removed, but there are still some great doctrinal tid-bits.
Noelle
I am reading this now, cover to cover... well ok I jumped to the new testament when I got a little bored in the Old testament, but is a great read...
Lisa
Aug 13, 2012 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: bibles
Find the Apocrypha in this version of the Holy Bible. This Bible uses today's language helping readers understand the Bible in a whole new light.
Jesse Graham
pretty good read in the beginning, gets slow for the middle 2000 pages, then gets good again, then has the craziest ending I've ever read
Greg
Good read, but it can be easily misread, and used to justify otherwise untenable positions.
Shelby
One of the best translations available in english available.
Jerry Gale
Jan 04, 2009 Jerry Gale is currently reading it
God could have used a better public relations writer.
Meshiabell101
this book is vvery outstanding in it is full of drama
North Olmsted Library
Jun 09, 2009 North Olmsted Library is currently reading it
My goal is to read the Bible in a year. LD
Bonnie
Read it a couple of times - good book.
Rick
Worth
Worth added it
Jul 02, 2014
Beverley Lucas
Beverley Lucas marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Beth
Beth is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2014
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Bhagavad Gita