Start by marking “Assassin's Touch (Iron Portal, #1)” as Want to Read:
Assassin's Touch (Iron Portal, #1)

Assassin's Touch (Iron Portal #1)

Two worlds. Two enemies.

Haunted by loss, Cascadian assassin Rickert D’Angelus is on a mission of vengeance. Determined to stop the Pacifican army from finding a portal to his world, he leads a group of warriors into New Seattle with one goal—to kill all Pacifican soldiers.

Neyla Trihorn had the perfect life until a deadly accident revealed her latent para-abilities. Now,
Published February 3rd 2015 by Createspace (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Assassin's Touch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assassin's Touch

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I don't know, this book was kind of a strange read for me. It is an alternate world sort of fantasy book, which is my cuppa, but the execution just wasn't there.

I'll start with the world-building. It was all over the place and didn't really make sense to me. Rickert is sort of this cross between medieval highland warrior and modern man, wearing handmade clothes and kilts, yet also using present-day slang and curses. The mash-up of those two felt off. It wasn't quite historical feeling, it wasn'
Laurie London
Aug 14, 2015 Laurie London added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Just a "review" to let you know that ASSASSIN'S TOUCH is free right now on all the major e-bookstore sites. It's never been free before, so it's a great reason to try a new series!

Amazon Kindle http://amzn.to/1UIxz4Z
iBooks http://smarturl.it/AT-iBooks
BN Nook http://smarturl.it/AT-BN
Kobo http://smarturl.it/AT-Kobo
GooglePlay http://smarturl.it/AT-Google

reaction gif photo: tumblr_m4xcq6ZrqS1r8ad8m.gif
Dianne
Two worlds live side by side, separated by a portal and the fear of the unknown and hate. One world is filled with the magic of days gone past, with fierce warriors, simple lives and the feel of medieval times. On the other side is the world of high tech, trained soldiers and a few beings with “special powers” who are used in the war against “the other side.”

When assassin warrior Rickert finds an injured enemy soldier, Neyla, who has a special talent for protection, and is more comfortable with
Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Review also posted at Under The Covers Book Blog

“Ms. London’s world of Iron Portal is indeed enthralling. She again brought in an alpha hero to swoon over and a love story to sigh over. And again, she left me wanting more.” ~Under the Covers

I was actually shocked when I found out this book was about to be released. I’m usually in tune to when Ms. London has any new releases as I am a big fan of her Sweet Blood Series. I was smitten to see the very sexy cover taken by photographer/author Jenn Le
Debbie
Nov 20, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Assassin’s Touch (Iron Portal # 1) by Laurie London
I received this book in exchange for an honest review by the Author and the “Lovers of Paranormal” Group on Goodreads.com
I fantastic read... I was quickly drawn in and became absolutely engrossed in this book until the very end. A successful mix of hot steamy sex, romance and adventure set in two worlds linked by a portal, one which is modern and the other almost medieval in nature. This book follows the story of Rickert, an Iron Guild Warrior a
Lynn
Fantasy/romance. Not my thing. Dominating Hero. "Spunky" heroine. Hardcore alpha lovers might like it better. Be aware that while it's a fantasy book its a weird mash-up of urban fantasy and Scottish historical romance. Some of the terminology (related to the sex scenes or thoughts) made me giggle, and not in any kind of good way. Not all that much plot, more of a set up for this world and other books. I don't think this author is my style but she might be yours.
Kelly % Books-n-Kisses
Great start to a new series!!! Great Novella!!!
Laura the Highland Hussy
review posted on Got Fiction? book blog

I liked the idea of this novella a lot, but there were some confusing parts.

This novella takes place in an alternate world that is some sort of slightly different version of where we live. In New Seattle, portals have been found that lead to another world (the mythos of the 3 worlds should have been given at the beginning, not the last third). The New Seattle side is called the Pacificans, and the other world is called the Cascadians. The Cascadian world i
namericanwordcat
This novella does a nice job setting up this world of a future New Seattle and portal to a medieval world with Talents and the war that rages between them.

We have a decent enemies to lovers fated mate tale here. The writing was good but because of the compression of the novella the love relationship wasn't nearly as compelling as it could be been.

I will definitely try another book in this series as I am intrigued.

I was given this book for my hoest review. So, there you have it.
Brooke
Oct 20, 2013 Brooke rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I got this book as part of the Dark and Dangerous, Six-in-One Hot Paranormal Romances Boxed Set. This is the first book in the Iron Portal series.

To be fair, this sort of fantasy/paranormal stuff isn't really my cup o' tea. I bought this boxed set for the erotic aspect of it. While I've thoroughly enjoyed the first three books in the set, I just can't get into this one and I'm not gonna continue reading it.

While there aren't, so far, any mythological/paranormal beings in this story, it's a made
Rebekah Daniels
Nov 13, 2013 Rebekah Daniels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from the author through the Goodreads' group "Lovers of Paranormal". Two worlds at war; one modern, one historic, but both with equal hatred towards one another. This shows how two people, one from each world, find common ground and a little extra.

I really liked this book! It has a great plot, great conflict, steamy intimate scenes, and just the right balance of everything to keep my interest. Sure, the "I love you"s came a little quick, but
Mel
Assassin's Touch is the first novella in Laurie London's new series, Iron Portal. It tells the story of Cascadian, Iron Guild assassin, Rickert, and Pacifican Army Talent Neyla.

I am a huge fan of Laurie London's Sweetblood series and was excited when she announced she had a new series that she was working on. I admit that I wasn't sure what to expect upon reading the blurb but am beyond thrilled with the novella.

Assassin's Touch is unlike anything I've read. The Pacificans and Cascadians have b
Maria Dodd
Nov 13, 2013 Maria Dodd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review via Lovers of the Paranormal.

If I have a criticism at all it is that the book was so short. It was well-written, had a very good plot line and the two main characters were instantly likeable - the fact that the two main characters instantly liked each other and gave us a few sexy scenes didn't hurt either.

The idea of the two different worlds was handled well, it did briefly cross my mind to wonder how the Cascadians were so aware of the oth
Satarupa
I got this book from the author, free of cost, in exchange of an honest review from my side.

Firstly I would like to thank the author for giving me this opportunity of reading and reviewing this fabulous book.

I got this book from Lovers of Paranormal Group of Goodreads under the Read to Review theme.

Well, I enjoyed this book quite a lot and it was really entertaining. The characters are well developed and we get to see all the flourished aspects of their nature which was a real great experience.
Crystal
Sep 13, 2015 Crystal rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars
Very unique story with a great plot concept, but a lot of backstory is missing. The missing backstory and additional explanation of the portals, the 'other' mission Agent Tierney's team had, and the two worlds creates potholes throughout the story. We are given a brief hint at a failed mission, but it isn't explained. We are told there are two worlds linked by portals, but not how those portals appear or more explanation for the crossing rules. It leads to confusion rather Han a smoot
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
In an alternate reality exists two worlds, both at war with each other. Neyla is drawn into this war against her will when it is discovered that she has a latent Talent. Enscripted into the army, in a war full of propaganda and struggling with the mistrust of the soldiers she's supposed to be fighting with, she is injured by a soldier on her side and captured by a 'barbarian'.

Taken over into Cascadia, she soon learns that the war is different to the stories that she's been fed. Given time to spe
Paula
Jul 25, 2015 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Assassin's Touch the first book in the Iron Portal Series by Laurie London is a paranormal reader’s feast. It is a spectacular read jumping into the action on the very first page. Two different worlds at war with two very different perspectives on who is in the wrong is at the very heart of this love story.

Laurie London has created parallel worlds that are vividly detailed and intricately complex. The characters are certainly engaging as well as ones in which I could easily identify with. Yes,
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Rickert is on one side of a futuristic war in memory of his sister, who was killed in it several years ago. Neyla has been forced to work with the Army during the war. They are drawn to each other when they meet, and both find out things about the other side of war. They find out that her side is doing terrible things to families and so they stay together and make a refuge for soldiers of his army. Good read!!
Angela Maher
The beginning of what should be an interesting series. Being a novella, it's a fairly quick read, but I think it would have worked a little better if it had been expanded out in places. The following instalments will have plenty to build on though. A decent, original read.
Mara
Oct 25, 2013 Mara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr, novella
I found this short novella bizarre, because many things just didn't make much sense. It has potential, as long as you get away from the mated pair. But it needs much stronger world-building and characterizations.
AH
Sep 11, 2015 AH marked it as to-read
9/10/15 - Kindle free download.
Shelley
Oct 26, 2016 Shelley rated it it was amazing
Oh how I love this book.

It has all the bits I love, intrigue, romance, drama, magic and both male and female characters are strong and confident. Oh yes I do love this book.

Neyla and Rickert are from different worlds, literally. The two worlds are connected by an Iron Portal and a war is raging. The question is who is the enemy? Why is there a war? Neyla is a protection talent, and is taken prisoner by Rickert, but in the end he doesn't throw her into the jail pits. Is she still a danger to hi
Jessica George
Nov 29, 2016 Jessica George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it I read it in once seating. In the beginning you could tell she was getting a feel for this style and plot but by the end I wanted the next book! The. Again I love her sweet blood series as well!!
Larissa
Oct 09, 2016 Larissa rated it liked it
Catch it in full at BOOKWORM

This is book one for The Iron Portal series, and the total is 4 books. Let's find out if book one will captivate you into buying the rest of this series. The answer is yes, it will captivate you; but I gotta admit that I reluctantly started reading this book after a full weekday without touching my iPad. I wasn't in the mood. Every time I started reading my mind would wander and I would drop the iPad and pick a song to listen to nonstop. Apparently I needed the break,
Fangs for the Fantasy
Neyla never wanted to be a soldier – but when a terrorist attack brought out her latent psychic powers, she was quickly drummed into the army where they could be best used. It’s a miserable life and her fellow soldiers are no happier with her presence than she is with being there.

They’re called to track down an assassin from the Barrowlands and the portal through which he entered - a vital mission as news reports more devastating terrorist attacks slaughter the innocent.

Rickert has come through
Danielle Taylor
Assassin's Touch is the first book in Laurie London's Iron Portal Series. The plot centers around two worlds at war, who can only reach each other through portals. One world is filled with people who have magic, warriors, and a simple life. In fact world (Cascadia) is very much like medieval times. The other world is high tech, an army and just a few people with magic (Talents) who are forced into the army to help fight the war. The army is protecting the portals and fighting the "heathens" ...more
Shauni

Assassin's Touch offers us an intriguing concept. Two worlds at war, reached only by a portal. One world with the use of magic and the other based entirely on science. Except.. when they find a person with a touch of magic, the science world takes plenty advantage of what they have.
The people of the "Science" earth are "protecting" the portal. Their preachers want to go across and "save" the heathens. Their military is always on alert, making sure no one ever escapes back to the "evil" world of
Danielle Schneider

I received an e-copy of this book from the publishers at NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Yet another impulse request from NetGalley. I really should look into this overwhelming need to read any and all paranormal romance books available to me on NetGalley. It's becoming an obsession. Of course with the yumtastic cover and the stellar synopsis, who wouldn't be intrigued. I dove into this book with my hopes at the pivotal tippy-top of the spectrum.

Neyla disparagingly joins the army a
SARIT
Nov 22, 2013 SARIT rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What we have?

Divided world > One side is a lot like ours, with advanced technology > Pacificans . The other side hasn’t reached the industrial revolution, but has some intriguing powers of its own which make it very different > Cascadians . And the two worlds are in conflict – but both sides have very different versions of WHY they’re fighting, each presenting the other as the aggressor. The Cascadians are protecting the portals that give access to their world while the Pacificans are l
Amélie
Two parallel worlds are separated by hidden portals. The two worlds people, the Pacifican and the Cascadian, are at war against each other with the soldiers of both side convince that the other want to invade them and love to pillage and kill civilian. Neyla was a fashion designer but after a train accident, she discovered that she has Protection-Talent, that’s to say a supernatural ability allowing her to protect herself and others from harm. The army forced her to enroll as they want to use ...more
SOS: Serious Over...: Iron Portal Series - Anyone Read It?? 2 7 Jul 27, 2015 04:19PM
  • The Mating Hunt (Werewolves of Montana, #2)
  • Captured & Seduced (House of the Cat, #1)
  • Blaine: A Wolf's Second Sight (Denver Pack, #6)
  • Insatiable (Luecross Wolves, #2)
  • Tigress for Two (Alaskan Tigers #3)
  • Embrace the Dark (The Blood Rose, #1)
  • Dianthe Rising (Dia McLearey, #1)
  • Under a Wolf Moon
  • No Way Out (TREX, #3)
  • Alpha's Truth (Fallen Alpha, #2)
  • Shadows Fall (Others of Edenton, #1.5)
  • Warrior (Wolves of Angels Rest, #4)
  • Big Bad Alpha (The Ashland Pack, #2)
  • A Mating Dance (Ashwood Falls, #2)
Thanks for finding me on Goodreads! I love making new friends and seeing what you're reading, so be sure to friend me. If I weren't writing so much, I think I'd live here!

Okay, a little about me. I'm a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of paranormal romance: the Sweetblood series (vampires) and the Iron Portal series (portals + people with special abilities). I live in the Seattle ar
More about Laurie London...

Iron Portal (4 books)
  • Rogue's Passion (Iron Portal, #2)
  • Warrior's Heart (Iron Portal, #3)
  • Rebel's Desire (Iron Portal, #4)