Start by marking “The House of Dr. Edwardes” as Want to Read:
The House of Dr. Edwardes

The House of Dr. Edwardes

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The single most striking quality of Francis Beeding's 'The House of Doctor Edwardes' is the sense of foreboding and uncertainty that pervades every scene, the hallmarks of many great mystery.

From the very first page of the prologue, Beeding makes the very air the characters live and breathe in seem to crackle with an ominous electricity. It is surely what appealed to Alfr
Published November 16th 2002 by Rosettabooks, LLC (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about The House of Dr. Edwardes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House of Dr. Edwardes

Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierThe Birds by Daphne du MaurierThe 39 Steps by John BuchanRear Window - Story Collection by Cornell WoolrichVertigo by Boileau-Narcejac
Books That Inspired Hitchcock Films
21st out of 27 books — 50 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueHamlet by William ShakespeareRebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Oscar Nominations
149th out of 220 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Bill FromPA
Pamela
Used by Hitchcock as basis for his movie Spellbound, this is one case where the movie is far, far better than the book. Written in 1927, the book reads more like something from 50-75 years earlier. As with most of that genre from the mid to late 1800s, the opening is fine, the middle far too drawn out, and the ending too pat. The only common point between the movie and the book is the basic premise of a lunatic posing as a psychiatrist. The main difference between the two is that the movie is br ...more
Miranda Barnett
With the opening of England's first institution for the criminally insane in the middle of the 19th century, the notorious Broadmoor, and with England's long history of confining mentally ill individuals to not only hospital wards but also prison cells, it is of no great surprise that Frances Beeding, a pseudonym for two skillful individuals, found a fascinating subject in these still somewhat recent mental hospitals.

Questions about how to manage such a facility effectively would certainly have
Stevedutch
Originally published, in 1928, as the House of Dr Edwardes, this is something of a ‘penny dreadful’: there is a damsel in distress placed in great peril in a gothic castle high in the foothills of the French Alps. The castle is now home to an asylum for the insane and the ‘damsel’ is the newly qualified Dr Constance Sedgewick. The story opens as she takes up her post at the asylum under the direction of Dr Murchison, an assistant of Dr Edwardes, who remains in charge while the latter is on vacat ...more
Philip
This was the basis for the Selznick/Hitchcock film SPELLBOUND, with Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck - I've had a 1928 copy for years, and think I started reading it some years ago - anyway, it's been packed away in a box for a while and I pretty much forgot I even had it until I 'unearthed' it yesterday! So I'm giving it a try.

11/14/10: I've just finished the novel upon which SPELLBOUND was based, THE HOUSE OF DOCTOR EDWARDES, by Francis Beeding (actually a duo, Hilary Saint George Saunders and
Kendra
This was a terrible book. It was the January selection for Lifelong Learning's Book to Film series. No one in the discussion group liked it either. The only positive comment being that it was at least a very quick read. The movie, Spellbound, was terrific however. It bore no resemblance to the book.
Rosie Genova
A creaky old melodrama that was the basis for Hitchcock's Spellbound, which is why I downloaded it. It's a creepy tale of what happens when the lunatics take over the asylum--literally. It's not even close to the film, but it's got its own brand of creepy charm.
Hannelore Cheney
Started by liking it, but ended up bored with the devil worship and skipped through to the end.
Francis
For those with active imaginations and willing to use them this is a good read. While the story differs from the movie Spellbound, you will find the edgy, sinister, foreboding atmosphere, that all good Hitchcock junkies require.

But, like many old late show movie favorites your sense of mounting tension may often be interrupted by your logical, thinking side trying to impose itself on an otherwise other worldly experience.

So, don't let logic butt-in and spoil your good time, just be scared and ha
Alexis
The House of Dr. Edwardes is a modern gothic novel about about madness, power and terror. When a mental asylum receives a new director, reality and fantasy, sanity and madness become harder and harder to distinguish. I highly recommend it-a real spine-tingler!

Side note:
The House of Dr. Edwardes was written by John Leslie Palmer and Hilary Aidan St. George Saunders under the pseudonym Francis Beeding. Hitchcock based Spellbound loosely upon this gothic detective story.
Christina
I read this book as a reissue entitled Spellbound. this book was the inspiration for Hitchcock's movie "Spellbound", the only similarities to the book and movie are the names of Dr. Edwardes, Dr. Murchison, and Constance. not a bad book at all. i was kept in suspense from beginning to end. it's a shame Hitchcock couldn't follow the book exactly b/c a movie of this book by him would have been incredible... not that Spellbound isn't a fantastic in itself.
Sharon
I read this because it was the basis for the Hitchcock movie Spellbound. It was, however, very little like the movie. Hitchcock changed the story radically.

The original novel conveys a creepy atmosphere well, but the mystery at its heart is easily solved and the plot moves too slowly. It builds to a wearisome climax of will-she-or-won't-she-be-raped, one of my least favorite literary tropes. All in all, a waste of reading time.
Melissa
This book was the basis for Hitchcock's film Spellbound with Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman. As a huge Hitchcock fan, I had to read the book. The book is quite different from the movie as usual, but I thought the book was extremely creepy in its own right and I could see why Hitchcock would be inspired by it. I liked the psychological aspects despite it's somewhat predictability.
Jen
After a year of reading, I finished the last half of the book in about a day. A psychological thriller from the 1920s set in an isolated private mental institution. I'm not sure I'd the first half is really that much shower than the second half, but the climax and conclusion were riveting.
Nathan Shumate
By now, the twist premise (which I'm not going to spoil for you) has been so overused that it doesn't seem strong enough to carry a novel alone, but the first two-thirds are still a classic example of keeping things ominous without obviously telegraphing all of what's going on.
Donna Foston
The first part of the book moves a bit too slowly and it's pretty easy to figure out one of the big secrets. The second part really picks up the pace and it's sufficiently tense at the end.
Karen Sullivan
It was more frightening than I imagined it could be Hitchcock had good material for his film!
Donna
Very good gothic mystery, set in an insane asylum... so how could it go wrong?
Shala Howell
A bit predictable, but a very good read.
Btdebarros
not a great ending but a fun read
Kim
Probably a 3.5 star, kind of freaky!
jaadhimalli
jaadhimalli marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Paul Motsuk
Paul Motsuk marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Susannah
Susannah marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Briggy
Briggy marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Stevek
Stevek marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
  • The Lady Vanishes
  • To Catch A Thief
  • Marnie
  • Vertigo (NFT/BFI Film Classics)
  • Before the Fact
  • Rope: A Play
  • Palm Trees on the Hudson: A True Story of the Mob, Judy Garland & Interior Decorating
  • God Save the Mark
  • The Lodger
  • Rear Window - Story Collection
  • Innocent Monster (Moe Prager, #6)
  • Double Exposure
  • Red Alert
  • The Beetle
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • Guns
  • Dial M for Murder
  • Cash Burn
Francis Beeding is the pseudonym used by two British male writers, John Leslie Palmer (1885-1944) and Hilary St George Saunders (1898-1951). The pseudonym was a joint effort and was apparently chosen because Palmer always wanted to be called Francis and Saunders had once owned a house in the Sussex village of Beeding.

The pair met when undergraduates at Oxford and remained friends when they both wo
More about Francis Beeding...
Death Walks in Eastrepps The Seven Sleepers The Six Proud Walkers Death in Four Letters Heads Off At Midnight