Start by marking “Brother Karamazov / The Idiot” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Brother Karamazov / Th...
Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Brother Karamazov / The Idiot

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  9 reviews
David Fishelson has transformed Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov and The Idiot into spellbinding drama that illuminates both titanic novels. The passionate Karamazov brothers spring to life, led by their roue of a father, who entertains himself by drinking, womanizing, and pitting his three sons against each other. The men have plenty to fight over, including the allur ...more
Audio CD, 4 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by LA Theatre Works

To ask other readers questions about Brother Karamazov / The Idiot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brother Karamazov / The Idiot

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneGilead by Marilynne RobinsonWise Blood by Flannery O'ConnorA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'Connor
Challenging Religious Fiction
12th out of 52 books — 36 voters
The Iliad/The Odyssey by HomerGreek Tragedies, Vol. 1 by David GreneAntigone by SophoclesHippocratic Writings by HippocratesDialogues by Plato
The Great Books Program
44th out of 55 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

I didn't realize this was a performance. It was fun. I would like to read the whole thing and see if it is different from this.
Kathy Winterburn
This timeless classic shows us that the social struggles and consciousness of the late 1800's is the same as this very day -- differences of religious beliefs, excessive lifestyles,family dysfunction, etc. The novel is rich in symbolism and protrays,on so many levels,the conflicts we endure as a society. I also see some of the stages of Dostoevsky's life reflected as he struggles through his own dramas and beliefs.Phenomenal book!
John Pauciulo
The singularly most powerful, finely wrought novel ever written. Part mystery, part family melodrama and broad contemplation of God, man, faith, and the human condition. Will make you see the world in a new way. Only a few artistic works, in any medium, in the Western canon can compare.
read this while in high school. quite elocuent and charged with high description writing value. good source of inspiration for the traditional and very particuarly unique russian style writing
Feb 25, 2010 Anna is currently reading it
I'm just reading an old edition: NOT this audio one {not that it matters!}. Don't know why it marked me for this one: Started it in Dec., thought I'd be finished by now. IT'S AWESOME!
such 'ordinary' stories, but so well told that you cannot help but get involved with each of the characters, their world and the wonderful language to tell those stories.
Zach Perry
I have read this book three times and i am not done yet. A masterpiece.
Has to be the longest book I've ever read. Ever. Ever.
Ah, Alyosha.
Koya'teng Torres
Jan 07, 2013 Koya'teng Torres marked it as to-read
I think it's a very good story that I need to read.
Lorine marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Michael Foster
Michael Foster is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2015
Ritika marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Aarica North
Aarica North marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Avery marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Kitsushine marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Drew is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2015
Ambassador116 marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Amelia added it
Aug 05, 2015
Lars-kristian Nielsen
Lars-kristian Nielsen marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Maureen marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Regina O.
Regina O. marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Wendy Zamora
Wendy Zamora marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Bradley marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Deepak Singh
Deepak Singh marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
  • Collected Works of Leo Tolstoi
  • The Scarlet Letter
  • The Moral Sense
  • Broken Glass
  • Space Boy
  • A Boy's Will
  • The Lost Girl
  • Screwed: The Undeclared War Against the Middle Class - And What We Can Do about It
  • Anna in the Tropics (TCG Edition)
  • Afghanistan
  • Ordeal by Hunger: the Story of the Donner Party
  • Dressmaking: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide
  • Ariadne:  A Novel of Ancient Crete
  • CA. Blues
  • Redesigning Humans: Choosing Our Genes, Changing Our Future
  • The Four Stages of Cruelty: A Novel
  • Singer Complete Photo Guide to Sewing - Revised + Expanded Edition: 1200 Full-Color How-To Photos
  • Mad Swine: The Beginning (Mad Swine #1)
Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (Russian: Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский), sometimes transliterated Dostoevsky, was a Russian novelist, journalist, and short-story writer whose psychological penetration into the human soul had a profound influence on the 20th century novel.

Dostoevsky was the second son of a former army doctor. He was educated at home and at a private school. Shortly after the death
More about Fyodor Dostoyevsky...