Start by marking “Designing Brand Identity: A Complete Guide to Creating, Building, and Maintaining Strong Brands” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  1,225 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
This innovative approach -- blending practicality and creativity -- is now in full-color! From translating the vision of a CEO and conducting research, through designing a sustainable identity program and building online branding tools, Designing Brand Identity helps companies create stronger brands by offering real substance. With an easy-to-follow style, step-by-step con ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 15th 2003)

Jun 27, 2010 Jesse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: graphic and brand identity designers
Designing Brand Identity is an enlightening and helpful resource on the branding process. Its author, Alina Wheeler, is a brand consultant and branding speaker with an obviously exhaustive knowledge of her field.

Trouble is, she is just that: a brand consultant/speaker, not a writer. That may sound harsh, but one read through her book will justify my position. Designing Brand Identity is not written in the typical, straight-forward prose fashion one might expect. Rather, each two-page spread cons
Toni Conn
This book was required for the Corporate Identity class for a Graphic Design degree. I am not impressed by this book. I skipped to page 102 to get to the more interesting pieces that I could use as exercises in creating a brand. The first part is terminology to make sure that your team is all on the same page. I am a solo business owner so I did not need to read the large introduction section.

The layout of this book is terrible. There is very little content on the pages. Most of the book is unne
May 09, 2014 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-book-list
Loved this book. As a recovering marketer, this was a fun read. I believe anyone could benefit from the insights in Alina's book, business or non-profit.

Some takeaways:

Unify. Simplify. Amplify.

It is never too late to be what you could have been. George Eliot

Brands have three primary functions:
1. Navigation: Brands help consumers choose from a bewildering array of choices.
2. Reassurance: Brands communicate the intrinsic quality of the product or service.
3. Engagement: Brands use distinctiv
Dec 31, 2014 Wrenaria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-design
This a great and helpful book to reference, but not very conducive to reading straight through. There are lots of lists and examples throughout the book which is great for quick digestion but not easily retained if going through large chunks of the book at a time. The writing style is rather dry/corporate-like, but lays out the branding process clearly and thoroughly.

In short, it's an excellent reference to add to your design collection and come back to whenever you need a refresher on brand pr
Jun 02, 2015 Atul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brand is the gut feeling about the product, service, or company. Brand creates perception. Without perception, there is no brand. Brand is not just a logo. It's how the business or company is looked as or perceived as by the people.

Want to create a brand? Start by asking these questions:
Who are you?
Who needs to know?
Why should they care?
How will they find out?

The major function of brand are:

1. Navigation: Brand helps customers choose from extravagant amount of options
2.Reassurance: Brand commu
So... recently I've been reading design books as reference for my thesis, which is why I've got less time to read fiction books. While I feel guilty with the lack of review posts on this blog, I thought why not review some of the books I read for my thesis? These are also books, anyway. So here goes the first one ^^ Designing Brand Identity is a book written by Alina Wheeler and the first edition has been published since 2003 (I think). Over the years, she added new things and republished the bo ...more
I enjoyed Wheeler's approach to the subject and her ideas about aligning organizations behind a common goal/message. A good book for this topic.
Jun 22, 2012 Gerrit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear overview of all basic knowledge about branding and a nice try to set up a visual information language.
Sep 22, 2015 krad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
( + ) Gives an in depth explanation about the many facets of how marketing and design tie into each other - an excellent primer to the practical designer on corporate-speak.
( + ) Overall page layouts of the book are extremely readable despite the topic, and visually pleasing to flip through.
( + ) Despite the niche corporate jargon of the topic, it conveys big ideas succinctly, and breaks them down into digestible chunks. Smaller topics are explained concisely but thoroughly, usually accompanied
Gareth Otton
This isn't a bad book as far as reference books go but as a designer looking for a good read that would take you from a branding novice to a branding guru (granted for any book that might be asking a little much) then this book falls short of the mark.

As a reference book this has everything you need in order to create some strong branding. It has some well detailed points, a nice process to follow and some great examples of people who have done it before. It is best used however, in conjunction
Kim Greenhalgh
Jun 22, 2014 Kim Greenhalgh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Designing Brand Identity by Alina Wheeler is a great reference for designers, decision makers, or anyone working in a team to create a new brand, rebrand an existing company, or just looking for some inspiration.

A great amount of thought and preparation has gone into this guide. It details the steps necessary to craft a strong brand identity and gives a wealth of insight from industry experts. I loved the expert quotes! Designing Brand Identity talks a bit about the various forms a brand can ta
Mohammad Jaber
الكتاب ليس حصراً على مصمم الهوية التجارية فقط، بل على من يدير المنظمة أو الشركة، ومن يعمل تحت ظل الـ brand الواحد،

الكتاب شامل وموسوعي، وفيه معلومات كثيرة جداً، لكن تنسيق المعلومات سيء جداً، الكثير من القوائم المملة التي لا تُقرأ بالعادة! ونصوص مجتزئة واقتباسات في كل صفحة .. تُشتت القارئ عن الفكرة الرئيسية ..

Compu Friend
Don't expect a list of step-by-step instructions for creating a brand. Great resource for skipping through for inspiration about particular aspects of branding.
Oct 18, 2016 Ashlie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very thorough discussion of branding and design from top to bottom. Lots of great information and examples, and beautiful design and layout.
Marjolein Wiersma
A terrible amount of vague management language, a lot of repetition, and random (inspirational) quotes. But if you can sift through that, there are some nuggets of wisdom...
Victoria Wolfe
Dec 20, 2012 Victoria Wolfe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tumbled into the world of Marketing, Branding and the like. Actually, I was pulled in out of work necessity - not kicking and screaming because some of it is very interesting and a lot of fun. It's just not the easiest fit for me because so much of marketing is about the sale and not the journey. I am interested in journeys: memoirs, transparency, authenticity and not selling snow to an Eskimo. That said, this book is helping me move forward in a way that is very important for my job and somet ...more
Hussain Al-ahmed
great book to help you design a brand and log for your company
Rachel Anning
Mar 18, 2015 Rachel Anning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute bible for anyone involved in brand development.
The Book Nazi
This is great and colourful book every branding student out to read. It's full of great examples. Also provides information on Many factors such as – brand image, brand personality, brand associations, communication messages – and how they influence the perception of customers about the quality of a brand. And why a company invests in branding to help customers make purchase decisions by providing cues on quality, credibility and value about a product or service.

One for your Bookshelf.
Claudia Yahany
Mar 13, 2016 Claudia Yahany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-ones
Se piense o no en ello, cada marca tiene una imagen. Más vale hacerla bien y pensar cada detalle.
El libro es una guía bastante clara de todos los elementos que hay que tomar en cuenta, cada detalle que hace que la marca se sienta (cómo se ve, cómo huele, cómo se escucha; pero más importante qué inspira). Hay muchas listas y algunos casos de ejemplo, que no te hacen experto en el tema. El titulo dice "Guía Esencial" y eso es. Pero como tal, me pareció excelente.
Zane Riley
Jul 29, 2015 Zane Riley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is more a reference book, so hard to say I've 'read it'. But as a resource its hugely valuable.
Aug 02, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Business, designers, artists
Branding isn't just art; it's process. This book has three sections - the first on aligning the purpose of a company with a suiting image; the second on building a framework for managing this process; and third on real-life examples that bring everything together.

Although the book itself is big, the read is short and fun. (There's lots of pictures)
Feb 05, 2016 Serith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the risk of sounding a bit like a child; I love this book for the pictures. I read it a while ago so I can’t quite remember much about what it actually says, but my god is it pretty. I find myself picking it up often because it serves as a source of inspiration since it delves into extremely successful branding designs.
Mark LaRiviere
Nov 11, 2012 Mark LaRiviere rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-design
I have often consulted this book, now in its 4th edition, because it is an authoritative, comprehensive checklist of the many considerations to take into account when planning the updating of an existing brand or creating a new one. It has proved to be a useful guide to rapidly developing a plan and budget proposal.
Nick Escobar
May 21, 2012 Nick Escobar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-ficton, design
Designing Brand Identity serves as a great introduction into the world of branding for any novice designer trying to understand the pieces and process of creating a brand. Great for young designers just getting into design as well as for established designers who can use the book as a resource.
5 Star for sure. If you are into branding, marketing, and business, then pick this book up and keep it around you.

This book could even double as a coffee table book as it is full of color and wonderful pictures!
Feb 07, 2008 Eschutzman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
If you know nothing about branding and brand identity and what the difference is, this is the book for you. It shows you in a step-by-step process from beginning to end how to create a successful brand.
May 05, 2008 Sylvi rated it really liked it
best book ever- so far that i have read about branding!!! Includes specific details about how to create a brand, study cases. Its like, a complete Branding guidance for dummies...!!!
Feb 12, 2014 Fadilah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
This is a basic book for branding and its process which I think suits me, as a beginner. The pages are rich of colors and pics, including many sample cases from some companies.
Apr 10, 2010 Darren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Design books fall into 2 categories: 1) Written by real designers or 2) Written by desktop publishers. This book is intelligently written and is aninvaluable reference.
  • Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
  • Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design
  • Above the Fold: Understanding the Principles of Successful Web Site Design
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • Make It Bigger
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • Typographie =: Typography
  • Layout Essentials: 100 Design Principles for Using Grids
  • Design by Nature: Using Universal Forms and Principles in Design
Author, speaker, consultant. Alina's business focus is managing perception. Her service is strategic imagination. Her passion is brand identity. Wheeler reinvents the marketing textbook, demystifies branding, and illuminates best practices and tools.
More about Alina Wheeler...