Start by marking “The Type-Writer Girl” as Want to Read:
The Type-Writer Girl

The Type-Writer Girl

The Type-Writer Girl invokes tensions typical of the fin de siecle concerning evolution, technology, and the role of women.
Published December 19th 2003 by Broadview Press

Pam
Sep 20, 2010 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
This book started out brilliantly -- so funny. It turned into a more romantic piece as the book progressed, but never lost that straight-laced practicality that makes the main character so much fun.
Liane
Apr 29, 2010 Liane rated it it was amazing
This book, this book, this book. Written by Grant Allen, scientist and 1900's feminist (he has a very interesting bio on Wikipedia, fyi), under a female pseudonym, this book tells the story of Juliet Appleton. Juliet is a well-read young woman who becomes a type-writer girl (read: secretary) when her father passes away. She loves greek lit, big words, anarchists, smoking, her bicycle, and her dog. A Howard Zinn precursor, her motto is: Be audacious! Be audacious! Be audacious! And she is, even ...more
ShareStories
I listened to The Typewriter Girl by Grant Allen in one go on Libravox. Allen breaks free of the stereotypical 19th century literary conventions to join Charles Dickens in social criticism, in this book, from the point of view of a 22 year old "typewriter girl" who tries to make it on her own in England. Her youthfully impulsive decisions lead her, not only to positions as a "typewriter girl" but to an amazingly avant-garde anarchist commune and a pawn shop.

I loved his use of the English langua
Dawn
Jul 23, 2013 Dawn rated it really liked it
I loved the premise, a young women determined to live life on her own terms in Victorian England. The author delivered. The story was not captivating but it was thoroughly engaging and I was routing for the MC to finish on top. It was a bit more romantic than I anticipated but I love a good love story so that didn't detract. The one thing I had trouble with was the language which was a little coarse. I am not sure if the author felt it lent itself to showing how independent the MC was but I had ...more
Steph Su
Dec 14, 2009 Steph Su rated it liked it
Shelves: school
This was a read for my 19th-century Victorian lit class, and I wouldn't have picked it up otherwise, and for good reason. The voice of the first-person main character feels too forced, and the pacing is really choppy: lots of random things happen in the first half, and what feels like an entirely different story occurs in the second. Nevertheless, I can still sympathize with Juliet Appleton and even find her adventures romantic, in a way.
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Sophia Beaumont
Sophia Beaumont rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Carey Scargill
Carey Scargill rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Carmen
Carmen rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Sarah Purdy
Sarah Purdy rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2013
Jude Simms
Jude Simms rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Karla Reinsch
Karla Reinsch rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2013
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Elisa
Elisa rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2011
Gwynne
Gwynne rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2009
Emma Shaffer
Emma Shaffer rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Hayley
Hayley rated it liked it
May 02, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it did not like it
Mar 10, 2014
Jmw Vonkotås
Jmw Vonkotås rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2011
Jude Simms
Jude Simms rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Corey P
Corey P rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Miranda
Miranda rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2010
Pamela
Pamela rated it liked it
May 20, 2014
Bridget Moynihan
Bridget Moynihan rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Victoria Rose
Victoria Rose rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2015
Beatrice
Beatrice rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Ashley Steele
Ashley Steele rated it liked it
May 16, 2015