Start by marking “Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda” as Want to Read:
Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda

Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  721 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Drawing upon their own extensive leadership experience as well as their ministry to leaders in all walks of life, Henry and Richard Blackaby offer insightful counsel into the ways God develops, guides, and empowers spiritual leaders. Clear guidance is given on how leaders can make a positive impact on the people and organizations they are currently leading.
Published May 15th 2001 by B&H Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Spiritual Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiritual Leadership

There Is No Gray in Moral Failure by Yves JohnsonWhat's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char LoveThe Reformed Pastor by Richard BaxterOutside The Wire by Yves JohnsonReflections of Mamie by Rosemary "Mamie" Adkins
For Ministers
39th out of 42 books — 28 voters
Lead on Purpose by Daniel BlakesleeThe Making of a Leader by Frank DamazioThe Conviction to Lead by R. Albert Mohler Jr.Lead Like Hell Is Real by Daniel BlakesleeBridge Builders by Maria Keckler
Best Books on Christian Leadership
8th out of 12 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Josh Miller
Best book I have read this year! Also one of the top leadership books I have read all time. One of the things I love about this book is that it is not geared just towards those in full-time ministry. Much of the book does address those in the pastorate, but many lessons and illustrations apply to the leader in any situation - secular or ministry. The main thought put forth is SPIRITUAL leadership in any setting.

The authors must have emphasized dozens of times the importance of a spiritual leader
Tracey
Apr 17, 2012 Tracey is currently reading it
Really validating to my faith. Leadership in the workplace and ministry a like, do well under the authority of Jesus. The proof is here;)
Mark
Blackaby has some really good points in this book. My problems with this book are threefold.

First, I'm not sure that this book was what I needed at this point in my walk. I'm not leading any group, ministry, organization in ways that require (or possibly even allow) the type of leadership that Blackaby describes.

Secondly, many of Blackaby's big points seem relatively intuitive. How does a spiritual leader lead? By knowing God and following His plan. OK...not terribly insightful, but very true. M
John Nichols
Great book but don't expect easy reading. This is a book requiring time to stop, consider, and digest. End of chapter summaries are useful for review or researchers. My copy is now highlighted with personal notes added and I expect to return to it often.
Thomas Cackler
Very solid leadership book for spiritual leaders (and you may be one and not even realize it!). Highly recommended for anyone in leadership who seeks to honor Christ with their actions.
Karla
This is an insightful book on spiritual leadership for both the secular and church workplace. It is easily read and should be required reading for all pastors and leaders.
Walt Walkowski
Very good book on leadership, though I would have hesitated to include Robert E. Lee as one of my models of leadership given his role in the Civil War.
Rob
This book is a classic. It takes contemporary leadership and contrasts them with those we see in the Bible. It is a long read but worth it.
Kathy Howard
Biblically solid and God-honoring view of leadership for Christians in ministry or secular leadership positions. Full of practical and wise advice.
Brian Watson
I had to read this book for a class; otherwise, I would not have read it. There are some good things in the book. In particular, there is some wisdom about how to lead. Generally, this involved the characteristics of a leadership and the things that great leaders generally do. There are some interesting anecdotes from history (the authors clearly love biographies of presidents, generals, and CEOs). On the negative side, the theology isn't very good and the book, while easy to read, isn't particu ...more
Michael Vincent
There is much about this book I like, but his discussion about listening to the voice of God, left me scratching my head. I never really understood what he actually meant here. Maybe I need to go and read his book on the issue. Also, there were times I felt he measured success by numbers and results, and other times when he seemed to measure the success of leaders by faithfulness and a heart after God. I was also surprised that he so often quoted secular leadership "authorities" (many of whom I ...more
Angie Tolpin
This is my go-to book for Mentor Coaching with Christians. It is the first book I recommend leaders read. It highlights our responsibility as leaders and challenges one to truly be intentional on a spiritual level with those we lead.
Rob Nicholls
Very good coverage of leadership issues drawing both on experience and the work of others. Also features some relevant Biblical examples in a helpful way. Summarises the issues well and provides good strategies.
Brian Chilton
This book is the gold standard when it comes to spiritual leadership. However, the book can be difficult to read at times and is very lengthy. While the book presents some great tips for being an effective leader, the truths must be balanced. If you were to read one chapter, one would think that the Blackabys were suggesting that the leader neglects his/her family life. However, if you read on in the book, one finds that it is suggested that one places one's family first. So, if you read the boo ...more
Randy Wollf
In their 2011 expanded revision of "Spiritual Leadership," Henry and Richard Blackaby have done a masterful job of calling Christian leaders to refocus on God and His agenda while giving many practical tools for helping them move people according to God’s leading. They have integrated Scripture and contemporary ideas about leadership throughout the book while bringing their ideas to life through many engaging stories. Despite a few underlying assumptions that some readers might find unsettling, ...more
Steve Campbell
Henry and Richard Blackaby do an outstanding job of distinguishing between spiritual and secular leadership. The main difference is that secular leaders try to move people toward their agenda, while spiritual leaders try to move people toward God's agenda. This book is thorough and insightful. It includes chapters that discuss the leader's challenge, role, preparation, vision, character, goal, influence, decision making, schedule, pitfalls, and rewards. Each chapter comes with a bit of a summary ...more
Randy
I think this is the ultimate source on spiritual leadership. Whether serving in a leadership role in a church or wanting to be a godly leader in the corporate or secular role, this book will challenge, encourage, and equip you to influence others towards God's plan. It's a long read, but well worth the effort. Five stars would be a better rating, but somehow it seems that this book could have easily been 50 pages shorter... maybe not. Maybe I'm just too slow of a reader. :)
Craig Kendall
This is as monumental, and perhaps more so, in my journey as was Experiencing God back in the '90s. The subtitle does a great job of summarizing the content... "Moving people to God's Agenda". What was particularly compelling about the contents of the book were the real life stories, which seemed less church-ized than those in Experiencing God, of following God's agenda in his own life and the impact that had all around him. Love it. Need to go back and re-read this one.
Martha Fry
Excellent book with life-changing direction on how to be the best leader. While I am a single mother with no official position in a church or in a company, I am still a leader. And that's one of the Blackabys' points, everyone leads someone. And where we lead them is extremely important. Getting those we lead on God's agenda for them, not ours (a difficult thing to do for parents at times) is the key to successful leadership.
Ed
A very good book on leadership, spiritual and secular. A very thorough book in covering different aspects in leadership with using the Word of God as the basis. Many practical helps included to help the leader maintain and improve his leadership. I would have made if 5 stars if a Scripture Index was provided at the end of the book. However it does have a general index in the rear.
Diane
Easy read, with helpful information on what it takes to be a GREAT leader. It opened my eyes to the unrealistic expectations I put on other leaders, such as my pastor, and gave me a deeper appreciation for all that they do. A Must-read for anyone in spiritual leadership positions, such as a teacher or in the ministry.
Jacquie
So far I love what I'm learning from this book. Here is a quote from the preface, "Spiritual leadership is not an occupation: it is a calling. Christian businesspeople, physicians, educators, politicians, and parents-all ought to be spiritual leaders."
Stephen
READ JUN 2010

Good balance of leadership principles for leaders in the church and Christian leaders in the marketplace. Best quote, "It is not one's credentials, but one's performance that ultimately confirms a person as a leader" (p. 148).
Danny Bennett
This book could have been written in half the number of pages. He told a lot of unnecessary stories. However, I read this book with a group for our leadership internship and it started some great discussions.
Jamie Pennington
A very good book although it is a bit long. We are actually having our ministry team discuss a chapter a week. I would highly recommend this book. Lots of deep things here to think about.
Randy Elster
Must read for all Christian leaders, whether in the ministry or not. This book will change the way you think about leadership and makes clear what our job is as a Christian and a leader.
Linda Goldfarb
It's pure Blackaby. A great read for leaders of any kind. Multiple leadership situations touch on what we all encounter. Excellent resource for usable quotes as well.
Scott Johnson

Great resource for leading a church in today's over informed culture! A mandate to be more reliant on scripture and God's leading through the Spirit!
Germaine Brown
Slowly read and digested this book after nearly a year. GREAT read!

I feel led to re-read, take more notes and share with my fellow friends & colleagues.
Carol McCracken
I'm reading this for my position on church staff-great insight from someone who is respected and experienced: Henry Blackaby
  • Spiritual Leadership
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make
  • God Speaks Your Love Language: How to Feel and Reflect God's Love
  • Funding Your Ministry
  • Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should Be Your Church's #1 Priority
  • The Secret Gospel of Ireland: The Untold Story of How Science and Democracy Descended from a Remarkable Form of Christianity That Developed in Ancient Ireland
  • They Smell Like Sheep
  • On Being a Servant of God
  • The Root of the Righteous
  • God's Guidance: A Slow and Certain Light
  • Safe in the Arms of God: Truth from Heaven about the Death of a Child
  • A Gentle Thunder: Hearing God Through the Storm
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God, Workbook Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God Experiencing God Day-By-Day: The Devotional and Journal Hearing God's Voice The Man God Uses

“The fact that God can bring character development and personal growth out of any situation is conditional on people's willingness to submit to God's will. God is sovereign over every life, but those who yield their will to him will be shaped according to his purposes. When God directs a life for his purposes, all of life is a school. No experience, good or bad, is ever wasted (Rom. 8:28). God doesn't squander people's time. He doesn't ignore their pain. He brings not only healing but growth out of even the worst experiences. Every relationship can be God's instrument to mature a person's character.” 8 likes
“If Christians around the world were to suddenly renounce their personal agendas, their life goals and their aspirations, and begin responding in radical obedience to everything God showed them. the world would be turned upside down. How do we know? Because that's what first century Christians did, and the world is still talking about it.” 6 likes