Start by marking “Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda” as Want to Read:
Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda

Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  838 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Drawing upon their own extensive leadership experience as well as their ministry to leaders in all walks of life, Henry and Richard Blackaby offer insightful counsel into the ways God develops, guides, and empowers spiritual leaders. Clear guidance is given on how leaders can make a positive impact on the people and organizations they are currently leading.
Published May 15th 2001 by B&H Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Spiritual Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiritual Leadership

There Is No Gray in Moral Failure by Yves JohnsonWhat's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char LoveThe Reformed Pastor by Richard BaxterOutside The Wire by Yves JohnsonFree to Shine by Robert E.  Colwell
For Ministers
41st out of 44 books — 32 voters
Lead on Purpose by Daniel BlakesleeThe Making of a Leader by Frank DamazioThe Conviction to Lead by R. Albert Mohler Jr.Bridge Builders by Maria KecklerLead Like Jesus by Kenneth H. Blanchard
Best Books on Christian Leadership
8th out of 12 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Josh Miller
Mar 09, 2015 Josh Miller rated it it was amazing
Best book I have read this year! Also one of the top leadership books I have read all time. One of the things I love about this book is that it is not geared just towards those in full-time ministry. Much of the book does address those in the pastorate, but many lessons and illustrations apply to the leader in any situation - secular or ministry. The main thought put forth is SPIRITUAL leadership in any setting.

The authors must have emphasized dozens of times the importance of a spiritual leader
Tracey
Apr 17, 2012 Tracey is currently reading it
Really validating to my faith. Leadership in the workplace and ministry a like, do well under the authority of Jesus. The proof is here;)
Mark
Sep 04, 2008 Mark rated it it was ok
Blackaby has some really good points in this book. My problems with this book are threefold.

First, I'm not sure that this book was what I needed at this point in my walk. I'm not leading any group, ministry, organization in ways that require (or possibly even allow) the type of leadership that Blackaby describes.

Secondly, many of Blackaby's big points seem relatively intuitive. How does a spiritual leader lead? By knowing God and following His plan. OK...not terribly insightful, but very true. M
John Nichols
May 06, 2013 John Nichols rated it really liked it
Great book but don't expect easy reading. This is a book requiring time to stop, consider, and digest. End of chapter summaries are useful for review or researchers. My copy is now highlighted with personal notes added and I expect to return to it often.
Karla
Mar 04, 2011 Karla rated it it was amazing
This is an insightful book on spiritual leadership for both the secular and church workplace. It is easily read and should be required reading for all pastors and leaders.
Walt Walkowski
Feb 10, 2012 Walt Walkowski rated it really liked it
Very good book on leadership, though I would have hesitated to include Robert E. Lee as one of my models of leadership given his role in the Civil War.
Rob
Jul 05, 2014 Rob rated it really liked it
This book is a classic. It takes contemporary leadership and contrasts them with those we see in the Bible. It is a long read but worth it.
Kathy Howard
Biblically solid and God-honoring view of leadership for Christians in ministry or secular leadership positions. Full of practical and wise advice.
Brian Watson
Jan 12, 2014 Brian Watson rated it liked it
I had to read this book for a class; otherwise, I would not have read it. There are some good things in the book. In particular, there is some wisdom about how to lead. Generally, this involved the characteristics of a leadership and the things that great leaders generally do. There are some interesting anecdotes from history (the authors clearly love biographies of presidents, generals, and CEOs). On the negative side, the theology isn't very good and the book, while easy to read, isn't particu ...more
Michael Vincent
There is much about this book I like, but his discussion about listening to the voice of God, left me scratching my head. I never really understood what he actually meant here. Maybe I need to go and read his book on the issue. Also, there were times I felt he measured success by numbers and results, and other times when he seemed to measure the success of leaders by faithfulness and a heart after God. I was also surprised that he so often quoted secular leadership "authorities" (many of whom I ...more
Lori
Feb 21, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it
A thorough examination of leadership, as considered from a Biblical worldview. Well done, and easy to read, although somewhat repetitive. The examples from the Blackabys' lives were especially helpful in illustrating their points, and I enjoyed the examples they included of important leaders from history. Applicable to any Christian in a leadership position.
Vaughn
Nov 30, 2015 Vaughn rated it really liked it
Good book with helpful information. I appreciated Blackaby's differentiation between worldly and spiritual leadership and found useful information for leading in my secular job, my spiritual ministries and my home.

For instance, Blackaby defined spiritual leadership as that form of leadership which moves people to God's agenda. Closely tethered to that definition is the belief that God calls and equips individuals to be spiritual leaders. I also appreciated that the authors didn't simply present
Angie Tolpin
Feb 11, 2015 Angie Tolpin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mentoring, leadership
This is my go-to book for Mentor Coaching with Christians. It is the first book I recommend leaders read. It highlights our responsibility as leaders and challenges one to truly be intentional on a spiritual level with those we lead.
Joshua Ray
Jan 05, 2016 Joshua Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
One of the best books on Christian leadership that I've ever read.

Spiritual leadership is moving people onto God's agenda and this book lays out what that looks like. Highly recommended for anyone involved in leading, whether it's in the boardroom or the Sunday school classroom.
Rob Nicholls
Feb 07, 2015 Rob Nicholls rated it really liked it
Very good coverage of leadership issues drawing both on experience and the work of others. Also features some relevant Biblical examples in a helpful way. Summarises the issues well and provides good strategies.
Brian Chilton
Jul 05, 2013 Brian Chilton rated it really liked it
This book is the gold standard when it comes to spiritual leadership. However, the book can be difficult to read at times and is very lengthy. While the book presents some great tips for being an effective leader, the truths must be balanced. If you were to read one chapter, one would think that the Blackabys were suggesting that the leader neglects his/her family life. However, if you read on in the book, one finds that it is suggested that one places one's family first. So, if you read the boo ...more
Randy Wollf
Jun 28, 2013 Randy Wollf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In their 2011 expanded revision of "Spiritual Leadership," Henry and Richard Blackaby have done a masterful job of calling Christian leaders to refocus on God and His agenda while giving many practical tools for helping them move people according to God’s leading. They have integrated Scripture and contemporary ideas about leadership throughout the book while bringing their ideas to life through many engaging stories. Despite a few underlying assumptions that some readers might find unsettling, ...more
Randy
Apr 29, 2016 Randy rated it really liked it
Really liked the approach to this book.
Some key ideas:
- Spiritual Leadership is more than an event or a destination: it is helping people grow in their relationship with God.
Buddy Draper
This is a very good book on leadership that looks at what other leadership authors have said, putting it all in the perspective of serving in a spiritual leadership position.
Randy
Jun 10, 2015 Randy rated it really liked it
I think this is the ultimate source on spiritual leadership. Whether serving in a leadership role in a church or wanting to be a godly leader in the corporate or secular role, this book will challenge, encourage, and equip you to influence others towards God's plan. It's a long read, but well worth the effort. Five stars would be a better rating, but somehow it seems that this book could have easily been 50 pages shorter... maybe not. Maybe I'm just too slow of a reader. :)
Craig Kendall
Nov 15, 2008 Craig Kendall rated it it was amazing
This is as monumental, and perhaps more so, in my journey as was Experiencing God back in the '90s. The subtitle does a great job of summarizing the content... "Moving people to God's Agenda". What was particularly compelling about the contents of the book were the real life stories, which seemed less church-ized than those in Experiencing God, of following God's agenda in his own life and the impact that had all around him. Love it. Need to go back and re-read this one.
Martha Fry
Jul 15, 2011 Martha Fry rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with life-changing direction on how to be the best leader. While I am a single mother with no official position in a church or in a company, I am still a leader. And that's one of the Blackabys' points, everyone leads someone. And where we lead them is extremely important. Getting those we lead on God's agenda for them, not ours (a difficult thing to do for parents at times) is the key to successful leadership.
Ed
Mar 20, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
A very good book on leadership, spiritual and secular. A very thorough book in covering different aspects in leadership with using the Word of God as the basis. Many practical helps included to help the leader maintain and improve his leadership. I would have made if 5 stars if a Scripture Index was provided at the end of the book. However it does have a general index in the rear.
Diane
Aug 29, 2011 Diane rated it it was amazing
Easy read, with helpful information on what it takes to be a GREAT leader. It opened my eyes to the unrealistic expectations I put on other leaders, such as my pastor, and gave me a deeper appreciation for all that they do. A Must-read for anyone in spiritual leadership positions, such as a teacher or in the ministry.
Jacquie
Aug 14, 2010 Jacquie rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
So far I love what I'm learning from this book. Here is a quote from the preface, "Spiritual leadership is not an occupation: it is a calling. Christian businesspeople, physicians, educators, politicians, and parents-all ought to be spiritual leaders."
Stephen
Jul 24, 2011 Stephen rated it really liked it
READ JUN 2010

Good balance of leadership principles for leaders in the church and Christian leaders in the marketplace. Best quote, "It is not one's credentials, but one's performance that ultimately confirms a person as a leader" (p. 148).
Danny Bennett
Feb 01, 2013 Danny Bennett rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian-living
This book could have been written in half the number of pages. He told a lot of unnecessary stories. However, I read this book with a group for our leadership internship and it started some great discussions.
Jamie Pennington
A very good book although it is a bit long. We are actually having our ministry team discuss a chapter a week. I would highly recommend this book. Lots of deep things here to think about.
Randy Elster
Must read for all Christian leaders, whether in the ministry or not. This book will change the way you think about leadership and makes clear what our job is as a Christian and a leader.
Linda Goldfarb
Feb 26, 2015 Linda Goldfarb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's pure Blackaby. A great read for leaders of any kind. Multiple leadership situations touch on what we all encounter. Excellent resource for usable quotes as well.
  • Spiritual Leadership
  • Practicing Greatness: 7 Disciplines of Extraordinary Spiritual Leaders
  • Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • God's Missionary
  • Courageous Leadership
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • The Secret Gospel of Ireland: The Untold Story of How Science and Democracy Descended from a Remarkable Form of Christianity That Developed in Ancient Ireland
  • Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions: Why Children Should Be Your Church's #1 Priority
  • Funding Your Ministry
  • God Speaks Your Love Language: How to Feel and Reflect God's Love
  • The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make
  • Safe in the Arms of God: Truth from Heaven About the Death of a Child
  • On Being a Servant of God
  • Night of the Living Dead Christian: One Man's Ferociously Funny Quest to Discover What It Means to Be Truly Transformed
  • They Smell Like Sheep
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
  • A Gentle Thunder: Hearing God Through the Storm

“The fact that God can bring character development and personal growth out of any situation is conditional on people's willingness to submit to God's will. God is sovereign over every life, but those who yield their will to him will be shaped according to his purposes. When God directs a life for his purposes, all of life is a school. No experience, good or bad, is ever wasted (Rom. 8:28). God doesn't squander people's time. He doesn't ignore their pain. He brings not only healing but growth out of even the worst experiences. Every relationship can be God's instrument to mature a person's character.” 9 likes
“If Christians around the world were to suddenly renounce their personal agendas, their life goals and their aspirations, and begin responding in radical obedience to everything God showed them. the world would be turned upside down. How do we know? Because that's what first century Christians did, and the world is still talking about it.” 9 likes