Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda

Spiritual Leadership: Moving People on to God's Agenda

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  502 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Drawing upon their own extensive leadership experience as well as their ministry to leaders in all walks of life, Henry and Richard Blackaby offer insightful counsel into the ways God develops, guides, and empowers spiritual leaders. Clear guidance is given on how leaders can make a positive impact on the people and organizations they are currently leading.
Published May 15th 2001 by B&H Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Spiritual Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiritual Leadership

Tracey
Apr 17, 2012 Tracey is currently reading it
Really validating to my faith. Leadership in the workplace and ministry a like, do well under the authority of Jesus. The proof is here;)
Mark
Blackaby has some really good points in this book. My problems with this book are threefold.

First, I'm not sure that this book was what I needed at this point in my walk. I'm not leading any group, ministry, organization in ways that require (or possibly even allow) the type of leadership that Blackaby describes.

Secondly, many of Blackaby's big points seem relatively intuitive. How does a spiritual leader lead? By knowing God and following His plan. OK...not terribly insightful, but very true. M...more
John Nichols
Great book but don't expect easy reading. This is a book requiring time to stop, consider, and digest. End of chapter summaries are useful for review or researchers. My copy is now highlighted with personal notes added and I expect to return to it often.
Thomas
Very solid leadership book for spiritual leaders (and you may be one and not even realize it!). Highly recommended for anyone in leadership who seeks to honor Christ with their actions.
Karla
This is an insightful book on spiritual leadership for both the secular and church workplace. It is easily read and should be required reading for all pastors and leaders.
Walt Walkowski
Very good book on leadership, though I would have hesitated to include Robert E. Lee as one of my models of leadership given his role in the Civil War.
Kathy Howard
Biblically solid and God-honoring view of leadership for Christians in ministry or secular leadership positions. Full of practical and wise advice.
Brian Watson
I had to read this book for a class; otherwise, I would not have read it. There are some good things in the book. In particular, there is some wisdom about how to lead. Generally, this involved the characteristics of a leadership and the things that great leaders generally do. There are some interesting anecdotes from history (the authors clearly love biographies of presidents, generals, and CEOs). On the negative side, the theology isn't very good and the book, while easy to read, isn't particu...more
Brian Chilton
This book is the gold standard when it comes to spiritual leadership. However, the book can be difficult to read at times and is very lengthy. While the book presents some great tips for being an effective leader, the truths must be balanced. If you were to read one chapter, one would think that the Blackabys were suggesting that the leader neglects his/her family life. However, if you read on in the book, one finds that it is suggested that one places one's family first. So, if you read the boo...more
Randy Wollf
In their 2011 expanded revision of "Spiritual Leadership," Henry and Richard Blackaby have done a masterful job of calling Christian leaders to refocus on God and His agenda while giving many practical tools for helping them move people according to God’s leading. They have integrated Scripture and contemporary ideas about leadership throughout the book while bringing their ideas to life through many engaging stories. Despite a few underlying assumptions that some readers might find unsettling,...more
Craig Kendall
This is as monumental, and perhaps more so, in my journey as was Experiencing God back in the '90s. The subtitle does a great job of summarizing the content... "Moving people to God's Agenda". What was particularly compelling about the contents of the book were the real life stories, which seemed less church-ized than those in Experiencing God, of following God's agenda in his own life and the impact that had all around him. Love it. Need to go back and re-read this one.
Martha Fry
Excellent book with life-changing direction on how to be the best leader. While I am a single mother with no official position in a church or in a company, I am still a leader. And that's one of the Blackabys' points, everyone leads someone. And where we lead them is extremely important. Getting those we lead on God's agenda for them, not ours (a difficult thing to do for parents at times) is the key to successful leadership.
Edward Ramsbottom
A very good book on leadership, spiritual and secular. A very thorough book in covering different aspects in leadership with using the Word of God as the basis. Many practical helps included to help the leader maintain and improve his leadership. I would have made if 5 stars if a Scripture Index was provided at the end of the book. However it does have a general index in the rear.
Diane
Easy read, with helpful information on what it takes to be a GREAT leader. It opened my eyes to the unrealistic expectations I put on other leaders, such as my pastor, and gave me a deeper appreciation for all that they do. A Must-read for anyone in spiritual leadership positions, such as a teacher or in the ministry.
Jacquie
So far I love what I'm learning from this book. Here is a quote from the preface, "Spiritual leadership is not an occupation: it is a calling. Christian businesspeople, physicians, educators, politicians, and parents-all ought to be spiritual leaders."
Stephen
READ JUN 2010

Good balance of leadership principles for leaders in the church and Christian leaders in the marketplace. Best quote, "It is not one's credentials, but one's performance that ultimately confirms a person as a leader" (p. 148).
Danny Bennett
This book could have been written in half the number of pages. He told a lot of unnecessary stories. However, I read this book with a group for our leadership internship and it started some great discussions.
Randy Elster
Must read for all Christian leaders, whether in the ministry or not. This book will change the way you think about leadership and makes clear what our job is as a Christian and a leader.
Scott Johnson

Great resource for leading a church in today's over informed culture! A mandate to be more reliant on scripture and God's leading through the Spirit!
Rob
This book is a classic. It takes contemporary leadership and contrasts them with those we see in the Bible. It is a long read but worth it.
Carol McCracken
I'm reading this for my position on church staff-great insight from someone who is respected and experienced: Henry Blackaby
Don
Top of the pick for discipling and training leaders. A MUST READ for those who wish to be strong leaders in God's kingdom!
Brian Morin
Dead on description of what difficulties leaders face, an how to deal with them biblically.
David
Good book on spiritual leadership and how it is different than the secular view of leadership.
Jeff Noble
Spiritual Leadership: Moving People to God's Agenda by Henry T. Blackaby/ Richard Blackaby (?)
Rebecca
One of the best leadership books I've ever read. A MUST read for every ministry leader!
Ginny
An ok read - good words about leadership, but very biased towards men only being church leaders.
Wayne Stapleton
This book set the standard for me in my thinking about being a Christian leader.
Kelly Russell
My favorite book on leadership from my time earning my Master's in the subject.
Reid
I read this book for the 4th time this summer and outlined it.
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
  • Ministry of Intercession
  • The Root of the Righteous
  • The Making of a Leader: Recognizing the Lessons and Stages of Leadership Development
  • The Purpose Driven Church: Every Church Is Big in God's Eyes
  • Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages
  • Maxwell 3-In1 Special Edition: The Winning Attitude, Developing the Leaders Around You, Becoming a Person of Influence
  • Serving with Eyes Wide Open: Doing Short-Term Missions with Cultural Intelligence
Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God, Workbook Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God Experiencing God Day-By-Day: The Devotional and Journal Hearing God's Voice The Man God Uses

“God doesn't want people to do what they think is best: he wants them to do what he knows is best, and no amount of reasoning and intellectualizing will discover that.” 5 likes
“People are weary of politicians who make promises they are either unwilling or unable to keep. Society longs for statesmen but it gets politicians. Statesmen are leaders who uphold what is right regardless of the popularity of the position. Statesmen speak out to achieve good for their people, not to win votes. Statesmen promote the general good rather than regional or personal self-interest.” 2 likes