Start by marking “The War Of Jenkins' Ear” as Want to Read:
The War Of Jenkins' Ear

Michael Morpurgo

The War Of Jenkins' Ear

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Toby Jenkins' friendship with an unusual new boy who claims to be Jesus makes life at boarding school somewhat more tolerable, even when conflict arises between the students and the boys from town.
Published March 11th 1993 by Heinemann Young Books

To ask other readers questions about The War Of Jenkins' Ear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War Of Jenkins' Ear

Discoverylover
Great book! A really short read, and I had to remind myself that sometimes things in books don't have to make sense for it to be enjoyable, but I did really enjoy it! Again, thanks so much for it!

Not sure what I'll do with it yet - maybe take it to the convention where there are bound to be some childrens book lovers - we don't really have any at the Wellington meetup unfortunately!

"Back at his boarding school for the new term, Toby Jenkins is homesick again, a familiar dread welling up inside h
NC
A remarkable book by a remarkable author. Really thought provoking. What would you do in this situation? I think this would be great for a book discussion group. Unfortunately we don't have any copies in the library for my book group to use.
Paula
THIS IS AN EXCELLENT BOOK I LOVEEEEEED IT
Dodau
My son introduced me to this author as they were reading his work at school. Since then I've been picking up the odd book for him but I have also been reading them.
This is the story of Toby Jenkins, a pupil at a private boarding school in the fifties who befriends a new pupil Chistoopher.
During the course of the term he has to balance his beliefs with events at the school.
Good story and worth reading. Good for pre teen children too.
Katie
When I bought this I just read the blurb at the back and it didn't really explain anything and plus it was written by Michael Murpurgo. But the story was really just a reflection of the story about Jesus and his disciples - but different - he only had two disciples and he didn't get crucified. I would of thought that it would of been more religious.
Suchita
This book is recommended for people who don't beleive in Jesus and God. This is about a boy's school called Redlands. Three boys called Christopher, Toby and Hunter who fight for peace and justice in the school. These three go through alot of things to get there justice and Toby and Hunter believe that Christopher is the next Jesus.
James Lark
An odd one, this. A good idea and I feel Morpurgo really wants this to be as good as 'Whistle Down the Wind', but somehow the execution is just too clunky and a little bit twee. Kept me interested but it didn't quite deliver what such a weighty concept requires.
Joanne
I think I liked this so much since I enjoy books with prep schools, colleges etc as the setting. Good young adult read with a good message. The characters were engaging and a little quirky - I was glad a co-worker recommended it - thanks to Laurie!
Hannah Adelaide
Meh. The story hasn't affected me and I'll soon forget the characters. nothing really stood out. It took me longer than it should have due to it being so dull. The end was predictable and lame.
Natasha
I was so confused when I read this; didn't have a clue what the book was about, start to finish! Nonetheless, it was incredibly interesting. Someday, I shall read it again.
Austin
It war a good book if you want to learn about the war but for me it was not a fun book to read but oval it was a good book
Pipa Guest
Liked this book, but not as much as the animal stories.
Leigh Morris
Leigh Morris marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Gill
Gill marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
CaroleHeidi
CaroleHeidi marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Chris
Chris added it
Jun 28, 2015
Naomi
Naomi added it
Jun 27, 2015
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Danielle C
Danielle C marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
  • Jimmy, the Pickpocket of the Palace
  • Voices after Midnight
  • Lazarus
  • The Fox Cub Bold (Farthing Wood, #4)
  • Two Weeks with the Queen (Cascades)
  • A Rose for Virtue
  • The Cincinnati Red Stalkings
  • The Rattle-Rat - Grijpstra & De Gier, The Amsterdam Cops (Book 10)
  • On Language
  • Dial Me for Murder (Paige Turner, #5)
  • The Allingham Case-Book
  • The Toilet Of Doom (Jiggy Mccue Red Apple)
  • Brush Up Your Shakespeare!
  • The Tulip Touch
  • The Kingdom by the Sea
  • Spacer and Rat
  • The Moonlight Man
  • Pongwiffy: A Witch Of Dirty Habits
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...
War Horse (War Horse, #1) Private Peaceful Kensuke's Kingdom The Butterfly Lion The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips