Start by marking “The War Of Jenkins' Ear” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The War Of Jenkins' Ear

Michael Morpurgo

The War Of Jenkins' Ear

Toby Jenkins' friendship with an unusual new boy who claims to be Jesus makes life at boarding school somewhat more tolerable, even when conflict arises between the students and the boys from town.
Published March 11th 1993 by Heinemann Young Books

To ask other readers questions about The War Of Jenkins' Ear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War Of Jenkins' Ear

Mr_Norton
It is the 1950s, and Toby Jenkins is a reluctant returnee to Redlands boarding school, where he doesn't fit in. Redlands boarding school is of course austere, with the usual array of clichéd teachers: the autocratic headmaster, the softer music teacher, the brusque but kindly matron, the bad weather and rugger-enthusiast PE teacher, the wacky and ridiculously accented French teacher... I really could go on.

Away from this world of adults, Wanda is the local working class girl who helps her mother
Discoverylover
Great book! A really short read, and I had to remind myself that sometimes things in books don't have to make sense for it to be enjoyable, but I did really enjoy it! Again, thanks so much for it!

Not sure what I'll do with it yet - maybe take it to the convention where there are bound to be some childrens book lovers - we don't really have any at the Wellington meetup unfortunately!

"Back at his boarding school for the new term, Toby Jenkins is homesick again, a familiar dread welling up inside h
Dodau
My son introduced me to this author as they were reading his work at school. Since then I've been picking up the odd book for him but I have also been reading them.
This is the story of Toby Jenkins, a pupil at a private boarding school in the fifties who befriends a new pupil Chistoopher.
During the course of the term he has to balance his beliefs with events at the school.
Good story and worth reading. Good for pre teen children too.
Suchita
Aug 10, 2011 Suchita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is recommended for people who don't beleive in Jesus and God. This is about a boy's school called Redlands. Three boys called Christopher, Toby and Hunter who fight for peace and justice in the school. These three go through alot of things to get there justice and Toby and Hunter believe that Christopher is the next Jesus.
Tanja
Nov 22, 2015 Tanja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always delighted when I discover a book by the author that I haven't read yet! Enjoyed this very unusual story set at a boarding school in England where everything changes through the arrival of a new boy, a boy with very special powers and gifts. But is he really who he claims to be? Most intriguing.
Katie
Jun 27, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious, review
When I bought this I just read the blurb at the back and it didn't really explain anything and plus it was written by Michael Murpurgo. But the story was really just a reflection of the story about Jesus and his disciples - but different - he only had two disciples and he didn't get crucified. I would of thought that it would of been more religious.
James Lark
An odd one, this. A good idea and I feel Morpurgo really wants this to be as good as 'Whistle Down the Wind', but somehow the execution is just too clunky and a little bit twee. Kept me interested but it didn't quite deliver what such a weighty concept requires.
Diana
Really interesting and thought provoking story. Set in a boarding school possibly in the 50/60s a new boy starts who confides in another boy that he has visions and believes he is Jesus reborn. The friendship of the boys is tested and they are accused of blasphemy, but what is the truth.
Joanne
Aug 12, 2009 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I think I liked this so much since I enjoy books with prep schools, colleges etc as the setting. Good young adult read with a good message. The characters were engaging and a little quirky - I was glad a co-worker recommended it - thanks to Laurie!
Nancy
Feb 03, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A remarkable book by a remarkable author. Really thought provoking. What would you do in this situation? I think this would be great for a book discussion group. Unfortunately we don't have any copies in the library for my book group to use.
Sally
Jul 30, 2016 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book if you also like David Almond Books.
This is now along with Private Peaceful and War Horse one of my favorite Morpurgo books. One for the older/teenage to adult reader.

Not going to tell you anything about the story as I think you need to read and discover it yourself.
LeAnne
Interesting, but not spiritually profound. The message is peace, not forgiveness. If this is a second coming of Christ, it is secret like the first and not open as the Bible says it will be.
Natasha
I was so confused when I read this; didn't have a clue what the book was about, start to finish! Nonetheless, it was incredibly interesting. Someday, I shall read it again.
Max Jones
I read this book when i was much younger, great back then. My favourite character was hunter but I'm not sure quite how much i would enjoy it today. Still, perfectly interesting at the time.
Heather
Nov 17, 2015 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: morpurgo
Morpurgo is a brilliant Author.
This book is NOT.
Guess he's allowed one off day.

ALL his other books are better than this. This is too weird and off beat.
Hannah Adelaide
Meh. The story hasn't affected me and I'll soon forget the characters. nothing really stood out. It took me longer than it should have due to it being so dull. The end was predictable and lame.
Austin
Sep 20, 2013 Austin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It war a good book if you want to learn about the war but for me it was not a fun book to read but oval it was a good book
M
M rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Veronica Peters
Veronica Peters rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2013
Elisha
Elisha rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Reham
Reham rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2015
Roz Radmore
Roz Radmore rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Katie-Bea Robinson
Katie-Bea Robinson rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Lila
Lila rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2009
Becky Emery
Becky Emery rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2012
Ayembee
Ayembee rated it it was ok
Aug 22, 2016
Katie Densham
Katie Densham rated it liked it
May 28, 2014
Bmo
Bmo rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2016
Carla Cameron
Carla Cameron rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2012
Sp
Sp rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Jimmy, the Pickpocket of the Palace
  • When the World Shook: Being an Account of the Great Adventure of Bastin, Bickley, and Arbuthnot
  • Lazarus
  • Voices after Midnight
  • The Killer Underpants
  • Chicken Feathers
  • Fox's Feud (Farthing Wood, #3)
  • On Language
  • Gymnastics
  • The Social History of the Machine Gun
  • The Cincinnati Red Stalkings
  • A Rose for Virtue
  • The Moonlight Man
  • Chair Person
  • Pongwiffy: A Witch Of Dirty Habits
  • Scene of Crime (Lloyd & Hill, #11)
  • Being Magdalene (I Am Not Esther, #3)
  • Murder at the Feast of Rejoicing (Lord Meren, #3)
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...