Start by marking “Hardball: A Season in the Projects” as Want to Read:
Hardball: A Season in the Projects

Hardball: A Season in the Projects

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  78 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In the heart of Cabrini-Green, Chicago's most notorious housing project, a group of kids and their white-collar coaches triumph over the odds through Little League baseball. A narrative tour de force that reveals not only a deeply troubling image of the way things are, but also a glimpse of the way they might be.
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published February 28th 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published December 17th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Hardball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hardball

Jayme Del
Surprisingly amazed with how the book turned out to be. As an unknowing reader, I ended up feeling living in the same neighborhood. That's how engaged it got me.
Tracy Shapley
Jun 01, 2011 Tracy Shapley rated it it was ok
I'm kind of shocked to see how many people liked this book. I'm the perfect audience for this book; I'm a baseball fan, I live in Chicago and I'm interested in youth programs that deal with inner city kids. But god damn, Hardball: A Season in the Projects just didn't do it for me.

First of all, it was aggravatingly overwritten. Coyle added plenty of details, I assume in an attempt to paint a full and vivid picture. What resulted were paragraphs of overly flowery, dull and pointless prose that did
Donald
Jun 20, 2007 Donald rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baseball
If you need a baseball fix this winter, I heartily recommend Hardball. I found this gem on the discard shelf of my library, and picked it up for ten cents!

It chronicles a Little League team in Chicago's notorious Cabrini-Green housing projects during the summer of 1992. It's about more than just baseball, however. Author Daniel Coyle does an excellent job of weaving the personal lives with the baseball personas of the individual players. You get to know each player, his home life and personality
gosobooks.com
Jan 31, 2011 gosobooks.com rated it really liked it
Giving this book 4 stars because I am not a baseball fan, it just doesn't exist in the part of the world (Lagos, Nigeria) where I come from but then the concept of the housing project, little league, mentoring scheme... are nice concepts that could be looked into in any cosmopolitan city especially with awful lot of slums. Read like 50/60 % of the book but dropped it not because the book is bad but because I just can't comprehend baseball scoring points and as a sport generally.
A.
Nov 21, 2009 A. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baseball, 2009
This was heartbreaking and lovely. Reminded me a lot in tone of Darcy Frey's The Last Shot.
Hillary
Sep 10, 2007 Hillary rated it really liked it
Story of a middle class person that volunteers to take on a coaching position for a team in the projects. Enjoyed learning about how some communities make their little league survive, and it is all about the kids.
Lindsay
Dec 31, 2007 Lindsay rated it liked it
I was more interested in the life of the boys in Cabrini-Green than I was in the paragraphs on their baseball games.
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2007
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
May 06, 2014
James Cook
James Cook rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2012
Charles Wolfe
Charles Wolfe rated it really liked it
May 14, 2014
Max Bronsema
Max Bronsema rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2012
Reacher, Jack
Reacher, Jack rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2009
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2008
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2010
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2009
Murren
Murren rated it really liked it
May 03, 2014
Tina
Tina rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2015
Kate West
Kate West rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Brian Seboly
Brian Seboly rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2008
SAY Sakda
SAY Sakda rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Jenni
Jenni rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2008
Steve Price
Steve Price rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2014
Paul Doyle
Paul Doyle rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Anthony
Anthony rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2007
« previous 1 3 next »
Author of the New York Times bestseller Lance Armstrong’s War, Hardball: A Season in the Projects, Waking Samuel, and most recently The Talent Code. Coyle has written for Sports Illustrated, Play, and the New York Times Magazine. His work has appeared multiple times in Best American Sports Writing, and he is a two-time National Magazine Award finalist. He lives in Homer, Alaska, with his wife Jen ...more
More about Daniel Coyle...