Start by marking “Hardball: A Season in the Projects” as Want to Read:
Hardball: A Season in the Projects

Hardball: A Season in the Projects

In the heart of Cabrini-Green, Chicago's most notorious housing project, a group of kids and their white-collar coaches triumph over the odds through Little League baseball. A narrative tour de force that reveals not only a deeply troubling image of the way things are, but also a glimpse of the way they might be.
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published February 28th 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published December 17th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Hardball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hardball

Jayme Del
Surprisingly amazed with how the book turned out to be. As an unknowing reader, I ended up feeling living in the same neighborhood. That's how engaged it got me.
Tracy Shapley
Jun 01, 2011 Tracy Shapley rated it it was ok
I'm kind of shocked to see how many people liked this book. I'm the perfect audience for this book; I'm a baseball fan, I live in Chicago and I'm interested in youth programs that deal with inner city kids. But god damn, Hardball: A Season in the Projects just didn't do it for me.

First of all, it was aggravatingly overwritten. Coyle added plenty of details, I assume in an attempt to paint a full and vivid picture. What resulted were paragraphs of overly flowery, dull and pointless prose that did
Donald
Jun 20, 2007 Donald rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baseball
If you need a baseball fix this winter, I heartily recommend Hardball. I found this gem on the discard shelf of my library, and picked it up for ten cents!

It chronicles a Little League team in Chicago's notorious Cabrini-Green housing projects during the summer of 1992. It's about more than just baseball, however. Author Daniel Coyle does an excellent job of weaving the personal lives with the baseball personas of the individual players. You get to know each player, his home life and personality
gosobooks.com
Jan 31, 2011 gosobooks.com rated it really liked it
Giving this book 4 stars because I am not a baseball fan, it just doesn't exist in the part of the world (Lagos, Nigeria) where I come from but then the concept of the housing project, little league, mentoring scheme... are nice concepts that could be looked into in any cosmopolitan city especially with awful lot of slums. Read like 50/60 % of the book but dropped it not because the book is bad but because I just can't comprehend baseball scoring points and as a sport generally.
A.
Nov 21, 2009 A. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baseball, 2009
This was heartbreaking and lovely. Reminded me a lot in tone of Darcy Frey's The Last Shot.
Hillary
Sep 10, 2007 Hillary rated it really liked it
Story of a middle class person that volunteers to take on a coaching position for a team in the projects. Enjoyed learning about how some communities make their little league survive, and it is all about the kids.
Lindsay
Dec 31, 2007 Lindsay rated it liked it
I was more interested in the life of the boys in Cabrini-Green than I was in the paragraphs on their baseball games.
Beckey Smith
Beckey Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Leela
Leela marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
SAY Sakda
SAY Sakda rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Michael Brososky
Michael Brososky marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Andrew Benson
Andrew Benson rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Brady Lee
Brady Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Lydia Wren
Lydia Wren rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Andrew Meintzer
Andrew Meintzer marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
David Troup
David Troup rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Lauren Ayer
Lauren Ayer marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Ambernique Lattimore
Ambernique Lattimore marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Rachel Knaak
Rachel Knaak marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Prabhakar
Prabhakar marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Jacob Blanck
Jacob Blanck marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Author of the New York Times bestseller Lance Armstrong’s War, Hardball: A Season in the Projects, Waking Samuel, and most recently The Talent Code. Coyle has written for Sports Illustrated, Play, and the New York Times Magazine. His work has appeared multiple times in Best American Sports Writing, and he is a two-time National Magazine Award finalist. He lives in Homer, Alaska, with his wife Jen ...more
More about Daniel Coyle...