Start by marking “Never Letting Go of Hope” as Want to Read:
Never Letting Go of Hope

Never Letting Go of Hope

Cassie Roberts’ ordinary life as wife and mother changes forever when her best friend makes a dying wish. She asks Cassie care for her child, an African-American girl named Hope. Despite the potential struggles that await them, Cassie takes Hope and never looks back.

Cassie’s unusual “adoption” creates a stir within her church and neighborhood, and many are convinced Cassi

Published January 1st 2000 by Cedar Fort

To ask other readers questions about Never Letting Go of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Letting Go of Hope

Catherine
May 05, 2014 Catherine rated it really liked it
I hadn't read the back of this book or anything, so I didn't have any idea of what to expect. Racism ended up being the main topic. A family adopts a baby who is half black and half white and it causes a major controversy among people who claim to be Christians. It's sad that some people really do have issues with this. It was upsetting to me to even read about it in a fictional story. But there were a couple of surprises in the book, too, which always makes for an interesting read. As I got tow ...more
Erin
Aug 26, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
Quick read
Mary Elizabeth Morton
Jul 27, 2011 Mary Elizabeth Morton rated it it was amazing
When I picked up this book, I knew it would be an interesting perspective regarding Blacks, Whites & Mormons. What I didn't expect was how amazing the book would be. I couldn't put it down. Wow! It had spiritual, ethical & racial dilemmas all tied into a heart-racing mystery at the end. Well done Shannon Guymon! LDS fiction has sure changed since I was a kid. Wonderful!
Susan Brandley
Jun 17, 2013 Susan Brandley rated it really liked it
Shelves: shannon-guymon
This is a great book. Shannon Guymon pulls you right into the story. It's about a girl who's best friend has cancer and wants her to adopt her child. The problem is the child is black and she lives in an area where people aren't too keen on the idea. It gets very suspenseful and doesn't take you long to read. I would definitely recommend this book.
Anita
Mar 04, 2009 Anita rated it it was ok
When Cassie's best friend from childhood dies, she leaves her something very important - Hope - her daughter. Hope is of bi-racial heritage and this causes an uproar in Cassie's all white life. Cassie is shocked at the opinions of her friends, family and church.

There were quite a few cliches in the book, but I'm still glad I read it.
Debbie
Jul 14, 2010 Debbie rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! Shannon Guymon is a very good author. This made me think about some of my family members and how they might be accepted in society. I really liked this book. My daughter is looking forward to reading it also. We both read it again and liked it just as much this time as we did the last time that we read it.
Dianna
Jan 23, 2009 Dianna rated it liked it
would you adopt a child from a long forgotten friend whom was dieing ? would you bring the child into your life with full hope (no pun intended) ?
the baby is being sent to be loved and raised. the family soon learns how one child can divide a group of friends along with danger...yes, a good read
Susan
Aug 15, 2008 Susan rated it liked it
A young mother is asked by a dying friend to take her baby, an African-American girl named Hope. Her "adoption" causes a stir in her church and neighborhood. Some support, some struggle, and one hates.
Lynette
Jul 03, 2011 Lynette rated it really liked it
This book made me look at prejudice in a different way and examine all the different ways that you can be racially biased. It was also action packed. I really enjoyed it.
Leslie Lamb
Aug 21, 2012 Leslie Lamb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shannon-guymon
What is fun about reading, is feeling as if you have experienced these adventures. In this case, adopting a child from your friend who passed away.
Kale Snyder
Sep 28, 2013 Kale Snyder rated it really liked it
Such a good book that helps us to remember that prejudice is still very real and something we should not take lightly. Very suspenseful book.
Staci
Jun 23, 2008 Staci rated it it was amazing
I am a little biased, due to the fact that this author is my cousin
Tandalaya Stitt
Jul 15, 2009 Tandalaya Stitt rated it it was ok
Not one of my favorites but a decent read.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Daniela06
Daniela06 marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Kristie Hinckley
Kristie Hinckley marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
AMY
AMY added it
Jan 26, 2016
Cari
Cari marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Rikki Fleming
Rikki Fleming marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Jennifer Derbyshire
Jennifer Derbyshire marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Marissa Olsen
Marissa Olsen marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Carey
Carey marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Kim Davis
Kim Davis rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
In the fourth grade, Shannon Guymon wandered into the school library and figuratively never came out again. She decided one day to take her love affair with the written word once step further and wrote her first novel, Never Letting Go of Hope.
Shannon grew up all across the United States but has finally found her home in Utah, where she lives with her six children. She enjoys the mountains, garden
More about Shannon Guymon...