Start by marking “The Healer” as Want to Read:
The Healer

The Healer

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,047 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews

It is a gift that may cost him everything
All his life, Jonah Gray Wolf has had an uncanny connection to animals and the power to heal the sick and wounded. Driven from the only home he's ever known by those who wish to harness his gift for profit, he becomes a drifter, working in out-of-the-way towns, never staying long. It's a lonely life, but Jonah knows he's still bein
Mass Market Paperback, 329 pages
Published March 18th 2008 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about The Healer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healer

jenjn79
Oct 20, 2008 jenjn79 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all my GR friends
Recommended to jenjn79 by: favorite author
I saw one review that said this book was a little hokey...and I guess there is a certain hokieness to it from a certain point of view. But I absolutely LOVED this book. Once I started, I couldn't put the darn book down. It's got such a unique and interesting storyline, and the romance is wonderful.

The Healer is a story about Jonah Gray Wolf, who at about two years of age, was brought into a remote Alaskan village clinging to the fur of a female wolf. The townspeople were horrified and fascinated
Buggy
Opening Line: “The rangy she-wolf, still thin from the passing winter, paused at the edge of the tree line above the valley.”

Oh I liked this one. It was just such an all-round great read. With an original and captivating storyline and hero unlike anyone I’ve read before, I can see now why Sharon Sala is so popular. The writing is top notch, the romance wonderfully done (sweet with an undercurrent of sexual tension yet without any annoying melodrama) and the story filled with unique and well-draw
Jane Stewart
Gentle, soft, vulnerable, female meets male with supernatural powers. Above average. I enjoyed it. A feel good ending.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
It’s not for someone in a feminist mood. Don’t expect depth, fascinating characters or entertaining dialogue. Just view this as a pleasant escape. It had none of my pet peeves. It’s a touching, sweet story. I was pleased and somewhat surprised with how things played out with two of the bad guys. There is a little sex, not much, it’s sweet.

I list Native American
Georgina
Nov 04, 2011 Georgina rated it liked it
The Healer is a nice, easy read.

I enjoyed the writing, not too wordy but not lacking in description either - I love that style.

Pure escapism; you don't want to think too hard about it but if you're in the mood to be entertained, I think this one delivers.

The romance is sweet but, again shouldn't be over-analysed, ie - leave off the feminist hat.

One thing that bothered me is the hurried ending. All fixed up pretty quickly, although kudos to Sala for her twist with the identity of the bounty hun
Sam~Alpha Male Addict~ Woodley Duenas
I loved this! I love the entire concept of the book!

Things I love about The Healer:
1. It's such an understated book I mean what a treasure Even I admit that I started reading this book as an accident and I ended up loving it!
2. Jonah! I'm a sucker for Russians, Cajuns or Native American heroes and Jonah is just perfect, from the long hair to the skin to his manner of speaking. Love love love.
3. The storyline! At first i thought this would be a shapeshifter book and I was surprised by what Jonah
Carrie
I would describe Sala's writing as simplistic, no advanced or challenging sentence structures or vocabulary. However, this has an interesting story and several good characters which makes reading it a pleasant way to spend a few hours.
Aparna Tankha
I love this book. Read it numerous times.
Jan 25, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
As a small child, Jonah Gray Wolf, as he came to be named, was led to a small Alaskan village by a wolf. The village doctor eventually adopted him when no parent could be found to claim the child. Within a few years, it became evident that Jonah was no ordinary human being. Not only did Jonah have the ability to communicate with animals, he had the power to heal, animals and humans alike. This gift was a blessing to Jonah and his people until one day, as a young adult, he was asked to heal Major ...more
Linda C
A toddler is brought into an Alaskan camp by a she-wolf and left. He seems to be Native American and has a strong connection to all animals. He is taken in by the town doctor and raised by him when they can't locate any relations. They name him Jonah Gray Wolf. At 4, he heals an injured squirrel that was mauled by a dog and so begins his unusual life as a healer.

But everything goes bad when he heals a hunter mauled by a bear and the man sends a team of mercenaries to capture Jonah, so he can ha
Gina
A supernatural and touching story!

At the age of two, a little boy is carried into a small southern Alaskan town by a female wolf and left there. No one knows where the little guy is from, who his parents are. Dr. Adam Lawson adopts him and calls him Jonah. Jonah Gray Wolf. Jonah is special; he isn’t like the other children in Snow Valley. Jonah seems to be able to communicate with all animals. He can also heal the ill and the wounded with his touch.

When Jonah is older, he saves the life of a hun
Barbra
Feb 22, 2010 Barbra rated it really liked it
I love reading Oklahoma author Sharon Sala. This book was another page turner for me. I have a Cherokee Indian heritage and have always been interested in the history of our Native American tribes. American Indian folklore can stretch your imagination as far as you'll let it.

All my life I've heard tales that the hoot of an "owl" is a bad spirit, or a warning of impending evil or danger. That if a death has occurred in the family and a bird flies into a window of the house, it is the spirit of th
Tala
Jan 08, 2013 Tala rated it it was amazing
I was hooked from the first page, well from the author's dedication to her grandmother.

I really enjoyed this book. There is a wonderful love story, action and more than one mystery. I even love the cover. I really loved the Hero and Heroine. The side characters are well developed and come to life as well, some more than others.

Luce and Jonah are two of the strongest and loneliest H/h couple I’ve read about in a while. To watch them find love with each other and make themselves vulnerable enough
Shannon
May 31, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
This book was a frothy bit of fun. I enjoyed it, although I suspect that many readers would not, for a few reasons I'll talk about. I, on the other hand, enjoyed Jonah a lot. He's a beta hero, which I tend to prefer, so he's more laid back and just generally nicer than a lot of romance heroes. I also thought he was fascinating, and I wanted to know more about how his connection with animals worked.

Luz, the woman he inevitably falls for, is less interesting but she still worked for me. There wasn
Jessica
Apr 25, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
my main point is , if you judge a book by the cover like I do and this seems like something you would never ever read .. read it anyway I pretty much promise you, you will love it . if not there is something wrong with your taste in books and great writing .

this book was amazing , its one of the ones that will stick with me forever . I'm not even quite sure why , its out of my comfort zone . I had actually owned this book for almost 5+ years and never decided to read it ... because I judge a bo
Lyndi
May 08, 2016 Lyndi rated it it was amazing
Oooh, I loved this one. Jonah was a much more fleshed out character than Lucia, but the story really was about him. Usually these romances focus on the women, so this was a little different as we spent most of our time with the man but still got plenty of Lucia.

The story was simple. Man on the run meets woman in fear, they fall in love, somebody gets kidnapped, threats are vanquished and they all live happily ever after. It was the characters and the paranormal slant that made this more enjoyabl
Leslie Mesmer
Sep 04, 2014 Leslie Mesmer rated it it was amazing
Although Jonas's healing powers was a hard thing to get past I did love this book.
As with Sala's books she tells a story that is not complicated but is a fun read.
She has her drama but it is more about the people not all centered around suspense. She builds the characters in such a way you can't help getting a warm, soft spot for them.
As usual she puts just enough emotion in it that I usually cry once or twice in the book. This book being no exception.
It is a fast, easy read and leaves you w
Lorena Helfers
Dec 18, 2015 Lorena Helfers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a story

This is one book thAt I will keep on my Kindle. The story is much like the movie The Green Mile. I am overwhelmed by the author's creative mind.

If you want to believe that crazy things like this could happen, it's just wonderful. Let your common sense wander and have a wonderful time.
Ruth Hambley
Jun 29, 2015 Ruth Hambley rated it it was amazing
One of my personal favorites. Well written and enjoyable to read. I absolutely adored this one. I loved Jonah and his fight to remain free. Lucia was a sweetheart. If you enjoy reading mystical romance with danger and a little mystery then you will love this one. Well done Sharon!
Eloise
Oct 28, 2009 Eloise rated it it was ok
Luce and Jonah are both trying to steer clear of univited trouble; Luce has a stalker and Jonah has a bounty on his head. This is not a good time for either to fall in love. But, as you can guess, they do. With each other.

For me this started out with so much potential but it just got cleaned up way too easily and way too quickly. It was like Sharon Sala was on a ration of pages and had to tidy things up fast. For me, the whole mystery surrounding Jonah and his ubernatural abilities just wasnt sa
Lhenry
May 28, 2012 Lhenry rated it really liked it
I've read several books by Sala and this one was the best by far. It is also refreshing to read about a healer who is a guy. Loved the scenes with the animals. I felt connection with all the characters, both Jonah and Lucia and also minor characters like Bridie. Small quibbles: Lucia's, shall we say, intense physical reaction to Jonah's 1st touch seemed a little silly not romantic. Also Jonah occasionally used a strangely formal speech for no apparent reason.

But still an exciting plot with a fa
May 29, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Sharon Sala creates pictures with her words that are unforgettable.
Helena
Aug 28, 2012 Helena rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it only took me 5 hours to read. I only had three problems with the book, one being where Jonah came from and an explanation of his powers, second that there was no reunion with the she-wolf that brought him to Snow valley, and finally the epilogue was missing the oomph that I was looking for. Oh and another thing, I never heard the legend of the healer and it would have been nice if it had been included in the story. Other than these issues, the story flowed well, th ...more
Rachel
Jul 05, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good read. I liked the two main characters and the bad guys met a suitable end.
Woman In Gold
Jul 13, 2015 Woman In Gold rated it it was amazing
Fascinating book i have reread many times.

Loved it.
Zabada Campbell
Jul 16, 2012 Zabada Campbell rated it it was amazing
One my favorite personal books. Jonah Wolf the healer touches a special place in my heart & soul. Brought to the Alskan village at the approximate age of two years old by the mother wolf; Johnah has no know relatives except the wolves who adopted him. The village doctor adopts and loves Jonah as his own but Jonah knows the story of the wolves. He also has a special way with animals. They undl erstand and trust him as he does them. That's only the beginning...
Sierra
Nov 05, 2011 Sierra rated it it was ok
Weird and a little hokey. I kept waiting for everything to make sense and it never did. The ending for me was a little anticlimactic and I didn't always understand the character's motivations. However, I did like the characters Jonah and Lucia and the romance was sweet. All in all not a complete waste of my time but I'm glad I borrowed it from the library instead of buying it.
Jenny
Mar 10, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it
This was an absolutely great book. I had this book read in 30 hrs (mind you I worked 8 hrs and slept 9 hrs during this 30 hrs!). Probably one of the tope three best books I have ever read, only third to The Program by Stephen White and A Darker Justice by Sally Bissell. This book moves so quickly, don't dare put down this book! It is such a quick page turner.
Sara
Jul 10, 2009 Sara rated it liked it
I don't know if this is really paranormal, but I didn't know where else to put a man who can heal with his hands... Anyway, a good romantic adventure story where the characters are just a little too sweet and sappy for words. I enjoy Sala's books usually... this one was just not one of her best. I wasn't able to suspend my disbelief as much as usual.
Pamela
Jan 13, 2013 Pamela rated it really liked it
I found I really enjoyed this book.. (some of it got a bit Hot & I don't read that kind of books) but beyond that I cared for the Luce & Jonah Very much... It was an unusual read for me but It was an interesting work of fiction.. I love animals so parts were bittersweet.. I am still determined to read all the books written by Sharon Sala.
Racquel
Feb 15, 2011 Racquel rated it really liked it
  • The Perfect Lie
  • A Time To Die (The Protectors, #29)
  • Now You See Him
  • Insatiable Desire (Demonborn, #1)
  • No One Left to Tell (No One, #2)
  • On the Edge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1.5)
  • Watch Me (The Last Stand, #3)
  • The Hunted
  • VN2
  • Darkling I Listen
  • Dead of the Day (Annie Seymour Mystery, #3)
  • In the Blink of an Eye (The Taylor Clan, #3)
  • Hexomancy (Ree Reyes, #3)
  • The Morning Side of Dawn (Holt, #3)
  • Rifts (Grace Murphy, #2)
  • Delayed Diagnosis (Dr. Rhea Lynch, #1)
  • Beyond Control (Beyond, #1)
  • Scenes of Passion

Biography

Sharon Sala is a long-time member of RWA, as well as a member of OKRWA. She has 100 plus books in print, published in five different genres – Romance, Young Adult, Western, Fiction, and Women’s Fiction. First published in 1991, she’s an eight-time RITA finalist, winner of the Janet Dailey Award, five-time Career Achievement winner from RT Magazine, five time winner of the National Reader
More about Sharon Sala...