Start by marking “The Healer” as Want to Read:
The Healer

The Healer

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  841 ratings  ·  73 reviews
It is a gift that may cost him everythingAll his life, Jonah Gray Wolf has had an uncanny connection to animals and the power to heal the sick and wounded. Driven from the only home he's ever known by those who wish to harness his gift for profit, he becomes a drifter, working in out-of-the-way towns, never staying long. It's a lonely life, but Jonah knows he's still being...more
Mass Market Paperback, 329 pages
Published March 18th 2008 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about The Healer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healer

Among the Shrouded by Amalie JahnDream Man by Linda HowardDangerous Prey by Lorena WoodSlave to Sensation by Nalini SinghStealing Shadows by Kay Hooper
Psychic Hero/Heroines in Contemporary Romance
49th out of 171 books — 110 voters
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch AlbomCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCut Throat by Sharon SalaBad Penny by Sharon SalaNine Lives by Sharon Sala
Best of the Best
6th out of 17 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

jenjn79
Oct 20, 2008 jenjn79 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all my GR friends
Recommended to jenjn79 by: favorite author
I saw one review that said this book was a little hokey...and I guess there is a certain hokieness to it from a certain point of view. But I absolutely LOVED this book. Once I started, I couldn't put the darn book down. It's got such a unique and interesting storyline, and the romance is wonderful.

The Healer is a story about Jonah Gray Wolf, who at about two years of age, was brought into a remote Alaskan village clinging to the fur of a female wolf. The townspeople were horrified and fascinated...more
Buggy
Opening Line: “The rangy she-wolf, still thin from the passing winter, paused at the edge of the tree line above the valley.”

Oh I liked this one. It was just such an all-round great read. With an original and captivating storyline and hero unlike anyone I’ve read before, I can see now why Sharon Sala is so popular. The writing is top notch, the romance wonderfully done (sweet with an undercurrent of sexual tension yet without any annoying melodrama) and the story filled with unique and well-draw...more
Jane Stewart
Gentle, soft, vulnerable, female meets male with supernatural powers. Above average. I enjoyed it. A feel good ending.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
It’s not for someone in a feminist mood. Don’t expect depth, fascinating characters or entertaining dialogue. Just view this as a pleasant escape. It had none of my pet peeves. It’s a touching, sweet story. I was pleased and somewhat surprised with how things played out with two of the bad guys. There is a little sex, not much, it’s sweet.

I list Native American...more
Georgina
The Healer is a nice, easy read.

I enjoyed the writing, not too wordy but not lacking in description either - I love that style.

Pure escapism; you don't want to think too hard about it but if you're in the mood to be entertained, I think this one delivers.

The romance is sweet but, again shouldn't be over-analysed, ie - leave off the feminist hat.

One thing that bothered me is the hurried ending. All fixed up pretty quickly, although kudos to Sala for her twist with the identity of the bounty hun...more
Lyndi
Oooh, I liked this one. Jonah was a much more fleshed out character than Lucia, but the story really was about him. Usually these romances focus on the women, so this was a little different as we spent most of our time with the man but still got plenty of Lucia.

The story was simple. Man on the run meets woman in fear, they fall in love, somebody gets kidnapped, threats are vanquished and they all live happily ever after. It was the characters and the paranormal slant that made this more enjoyabl...more
Carrie
I would describe Sala's writing as simplistic, no advanced or challenging sentence structures or vocabulary. However, this has an interesting story and several good characters which makes reading it a pleasant way to spend a few hours.
Linda C
A toddler is brought into an Alaskan camp by a she-wolf and left. He seems to be Native American and has a strong connection to all animals. He is taken in by the town doctor and raised by him when they can't locate any relations. They name him Jonah Gray Wolf. At 4, he heals an injured squirrel that was mauled by a dog and so begins his unusual life as a healer.

But everything goes bad when he heals a hunter mauled by a bear and the man sends a team of mercenaries to capture Jonah, so he can ha...more
Gina
A supernatural and touching story!

At the age of two, a little boy is carried into a small southern Alaskan town by a female wolf and left there. No one knows where the little guy is from, who his parents are. Dr. Adam Lawson adopts him and calls him Jonah. Jonah Gray Wolf. Jonah is special; he isn’t like the other children in Snow Valley. Jonah seems to be able to communicate with all animals. He can also heal the ill and the wounded with his touch.

When Jonah is older, he saves the life of a hun...more
Barbra
I love reading Oklahoma author Sharon Sala. This book was another page turner for me. I have a Cherokee Indian heritage and have always been interested in the history of our Native American tribes. American Indian folklore can stretch your imagination as far as you'll let it.

All my life I've heard tales that the hoot of an "owl" is a bad spirit, or a warning of impending evil or danger. That if a death has occurred in the family and a bird flies into a window of the house, it is the spirit of th...more
Tala
I was hooked from the first page, well from the author's dedication to her grandmother.

I really enjoyed this book. There is a wonderful love story, action and more than one mystery. I even love the cover. I really loved the Hero and Heroine. The side characters are well developed and come to life as well, some more than others.

Luce and Jonah are two of the strongest and loneliest H/h couple I’ve read about in a while. To watch them find love with each other and make themselves vulnerable enough...more
Shannon
This book was a frothy bit of fun. I enjoyed it, although I suspect that many readers would not, for a few reasons I'll talk about. I, on the other hand, enjoyed Jonah a lot. He's a beta hero, which I tend to prefer, so he's more laid back and just generally nicer than a lot of romance heroes. I also thought he was fascinating, and I wanted to know more about how his connection with animals worked.

Luz, the woman he inevitably falls for, is less interesting but she still worked for me. There wasn...more
Jessica
my main point is , if you judge a book by the cover like I do and this seems like something you would never ever read .. read it anyway I pretty much promise you, you will love it . if not there is something wrong with your taste in books and great writing .

this book was amazing , its one of the ones that will stick with me forever . I'm not even quite sure why , its out of my comfort zone . I had actually owned this book for almost 5+ years and never decided to read it ... because I judge a bo...more
Leslie Mesmer
Although Jonas's healing powers was a hard thing to get past I did love this book.
As with Sala's books she tells a story that is not complicated but is a fun read.
She has her drama but it is more about the people not all centered around suspense. She builds the characters in such a way you can't help getting a warm, soft spot for them.
As usual she puts just enough emotion in it that I usually cry once or twice in the book. This book being no exception.
It is a fast, easy read and leaves you w...more
Eloise
Luce and Jonah are both trying to steer clear of univited trouble; Luce has a stalker and Jonah has a bounty on his head. This is not a good time for either to fall in love. But, as you can guess, they do. With each other.

For me this started out with so much potential but it just got cleaned up way too easily and way too quickly. It was like Sharon Sala was on a ration of pages and had to tidy things up fast. For me, the whole mystery surrounding Jonah and his ubernatural abilities just wasnt sa...more
Lhenry
I've read several books by Sala and this one was the best by far. It is also refreshing to read about a healer who is a guy. Loved the scenes with the animals. I felt connection with all the characters, both Jonah and Lucia and also minor characters like Bridie. Small quibbles: Lucia's, shall we say, intense physical reaction to Jonah's 1st touch seemed a little silly not romantic. Also Jonah occasionally used a strangely formal speech for no apparent reason.

But still an exciting plot with a fa...more
Helena
I really enjoyed this book, it only took me 5 hours to read. I only had three problems with the book, one being where Jonah came from and an explanation of his powers, second that there was no reunion with the she-wolf that brought him to Snow valley, and finally the epilogue was missing the oomph that I was looking for. Oh and another thing, I never heard the legend of the healer and it would have been nice if it had been included in the story. Other than these issues, the story flowed well, th...more
Rachel
This was a pretty good read. I liked the two main characters and the bad guys met a suitable end.
Faye
I really liked this one. Most romance novels are all about the sensuality of the couple. This one was more of how Jonah and Luce connect to each other on an emotional level. I like that their relationship is so much a partnership and each character is independent, but also reliant on the other. I like that. It's a fresh breeze in a world where Twilight's couple almost self destruct without their counterpart. Note: I do like Twilight. I'm not putting it down. It has merits of its own.
Zabada Campbell
One my favorite personal books. Jonah Wolf the healer touches a special place in my heart & soul. Brought to the Alskan village at the approximate age of two years old by the mother wolf; Johnah has no know relatives except the wolves who adopted him. The village doctor adopts and loves Jonah as his own but Jonah knows the story of the wolves. He also has a special way with animals. They undl erstand and trust him as he does them. That's only the beginning...
Sierra
Weird and a little hokey. I kept waiting for everything to make sense and it never did. The ending for me was a little anticlimactic and I didn't always understand the character's motivations. However, I did like the characters Jonah and Lucia and the romance was sweet. All in all not a complete waste of my time but I'm glad I borrowed it from the library instead of buying it.
Jenny
This was an absolutely great book. I had this book read in 30 hrs (mind you I worked 8 hrs and slept 9 hrs during this 30 hrs!). Probably one of the tope three best books I have ever read, only third to The Program by Stephen White and A Darker Justice by Sally Bissell. This book moves so quickly, don't dare put down this book! It is such a quick page turner.
Sara
I don't know if this is really paranormal, but I didn't know where else to put a man who can heal with his hands... Anyway, a good romantic adventure story where the characters are just a little too sweet and sappy for words. I enjoy Sala's books usually... this one was just not one of her best. I wasn't able to suspend my disbelief as much as usual.
Pamela
I found I really enjoyed this book.. (some of it got a bit Hot & I don't read that kind of books) but beyond that I cared for the Luce & Jonah Very much... It was an unusual read for me but It was an interesting work of fiction.. I love animals so parts were bittersweet.. I am still determined to read all the books written by Sharon Sala.
Racquel
Penny
I did like this book and I found the characters really interesting. I just felt that the book was a little rushed and I wish it wasn't because the hero was a healer and there was just so much more I wanted to know.
I was drawn into the story from the very begining but it left a few unanswered questions and I just hate that.
Jan Sikes
A gripping story from the very first page to the last. Jonah Gray Wolf was a truly fascinating character with such an incredible gift, which had cost him many years of running and hiding. Then he met Lucia Andahar and his whole world turned upside down. Sharon Sala depicted these characters superbly! Wow, what a story!!
Cathi95
(Fantasy 2008) Jonah Gray Wolf is being hunted for his healing ability by a wealthy man who never wants to die. Luce Andahar is being hunted for her femininity by a serial killer. The plotline is pretty obvious, but a few fun twists involving Jonah's healing abilities and ties to animals make for an enjoyable read.
Shermel
Sharon Sala has a gift for taking a simple storyline and making it work. Her style is classic. You fall in love with Jonah from the first page. The way Sharon leaves the readers to figure out the identity of the stalker and hunter are thrilling. When the secert is revealed the reader will be surprised.
Sarita
I didn't finish this one. The main subplots wrapped up and I put it down... It was too pver the top. And the guy, the healer made me sick. The possessiveness was awful. Just bad. I used to like sharon sala, but it's been years since j last read one of her books. Must've been a reason.

Christina Slomczewski
Considering this was the first book I've picked up in a really long time, I really enjoyed it a lot! It kept me wanting to read more. Every time I put it down I kept thinking about the next time I'd be able to read it again. I'd definitely put it on my recommendation list! :)
  • Mimosa Grove
  • A Time To Die
  • On the Edge: WITH Capsized AND Shelter Island AND Bougainvillea
  • Now You See Him
  • No One Left to Tell (No One, #2)
  • Present Danger
  • Bad Moon Rising
  • Beyond Control (Beyond, #1)
  • Watch Me (Last Stand Series, #3)
  • Tempting Fate
  • Insatiable Desire (Demonborn, #1)
  • Dark and Dangerous
  • Countdown
  • Colder than Ice (Mordecai Young, #2)
  • Scenes of Passion
  • Sacred Cows (Annie Seymour Mystery, #1)
Sharon Sala has been a published author since 1991, and has also written under the pseudonym Dinah McCall, although the last McCall book was released in March of 2007.
Her 76th book, THE HEALER, was released in April 2008. She's a member of Romance Writers of America and writes mostly romantic suspense and paranormal romantic suspense for Harlequin Enterprises, Silhouette Books, and at one time, a...more
More about Sharon Sala...
Out of the Dark Missing Nine Lives (Cat Dupree, #1) Blown Away Snowfall