Start by marking “Snow on Snow on Snow” as Want to Read:

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A gentle, lyrical story is set in motion by repeated words as a boy wakes up "under blankets under blankets under blankets" and goes out into "snow on snow on snow" to go sledding "down down down the slopes."
Library Binding, 32 pages
Published October 1st 1994 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about Snow on Snow on Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow on Snow on Snow

Jordan Brown
Author: Cheryl Chapman
Illustrator: Synthia Saint James
Reading Level: ages 3-7

Chapman, Cheryl (1994) Snow on Snow on Snow New York: Dial

Snow on Snow on Snow is an incredibly simple book that follows the story of a boy who goes out to play with his friends and loses his dog.

The story is simple and enjoyable enough for a child reader. It's use of repetitive language is engaging and poetic in a non-complex way, and it can easily be read by a beginning reader. The illustrations ar
Abby
This would be great for a middle school poetry unit. This book is based on Rossetti's poem "In the Bleak Midwinter." It'd be fun to do a project like this...choose your favorite poem and wrote a children's book based on it or based on your favorite line of the poem.
Lauri Meyers
I really love the language and rhythm of the writing. A very simple story with a satisfying ending. #diversebooks
Mmjtexas
Good mentor text for craft moves.
Ellen
Jan 19, 2008 Ellen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children 3 and up
I read this today at the library with my 3 and 4 year-old boys. They enjoyed it but I wouldn't say they were overawed. The patterning is good, the illustrations are simple, but not terribly impressive (clearly influenced by Ezra Jack Keats, though). All told, it was a fun romp with a satisfying ending, but not a keeper.
Gaby Roman
I really liked reading this book. I would use this story in my class, if my students are learning about weather. I would especially use this story, if we are focusing on winter. I would mainly use this to introduce weather. It would be more of a opening or attention grabber to discuss another lesson about winter.
Angee O'Connell
Just enough suspense to keep the preschoolers attention. Will the boy find his dog, Clarence after they've had a fun sled ride down the hill? Will they live "happily ever after, ever after, ever after"? Read this one to your favorite preschooler and find out!
Mary
It was interesting to read this with the kids and see who was able to catch on to the semi-abstract wordplay (blankets on blankets on blankets) more quickly than others. Plus I enjoyed the textured, colorful illustration
Yarb
A baffling book. There's no real story; just a long succession of things on things on things. In the end the bright, blobby artwork loses its appeal.
Tricia
remniscent of the snowy day...a boy loses, then recovers him dog while sledding in the snow.
Cherese
Fun storytime book that can be interactive with a dog puppet!
Jen
Jan 19, 2013 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pb
nice prose. clean bold pictures. short.
John Counts
John Counts marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Mollie
Mollie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Pass The Fritters, Critters Skyscratchers and Cloudcatchers: Chicago to Cologne A Baby in the Belly The Devil The Angel and YOU Shadow Lovers: The Last Affairs Of H. G. Wells