Start by marking “The New Testament (Great Courses, #656)” as Want to Read:
The New Testament (Great Courses, #656)

The New Testament (Great Courses, #656)

24 Lectures

The Historical Jesus—Sources and Problems
The Historical Jesus—Solutions a
DVD, Great Courses, 0 pages
Published January 28th 2000 by The Teaching Company

To ask other readers questions about The New Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Testament

Jim
Mar 03, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: tgc
This is a 24 - 1/2 hr audio lecture series, w/ 158 page companion book (kind of a cliff notes) outline.
These lectures deal with the historicity of the new testament, presented in a secular fashion, examining the origins of the content, rather than the spiritual aspects of the text. Dr Ehrman clearly and logically presents the background of the gospels and epistles as well as a short history of the authors. The presenter's methodical approach builds the picture of a multi-authored book, comprised
Justine
Oct 10, 2016 Justine rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
3.5 Stars

Overall, the author provides a lot of information, in a very straight-forward, (mostly) authoritative, and (mostly) unbiased manner. He uses primary evidence, other prominent scholars' work, and provides many additional citations for further research. The lecture series starts with a historical re-counting of each of the Gospels, tracing the history of their writing and the literary aims of each author. This part was fantastic - there weren't really any new conclusions, but he pulled to
Jim
Nov 22, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
Another excellent "Great Courses" audiocourse by Bart Ehrman, though I do have a few criticisms.

First, there was a lot of overlap between this one and his "The Historical Jesus" course, both in content and approach. Now, I suppose that's not too surprising, given (A) Ehrman's area of expertise and (B) the contents of the New Testament.

Still, having listened to that other course, I'm not sure that I got all that much new out the first half of this one. (The second half, which focused on Acts, the
Mark
Feb 22, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it
The New Testament is the latest religion course that I have ordered from The Great Courses. This is a 12 hour 24 lecture course taught by Professor Bart D. Ehrman. Although this is my first course with Professor Ehrman, it won't be my last. He teaches many of the Great Courses on religion, and I found both his knowledge and presentation style to be excellent. He clearly knows his material, and his lecture delivery is clear and easy to understand. Ehrman also will keep you interested as he works ...more
Michael Leavitt
Sep 26, 2015 Michael Leavitt rated it it was amazing
This was exactly what I was looking for. My biggest critique is that there should have been another 24 lectures. It was extremely informative and revealing.

For example, one of my major goals going into this was learning about the historical Jesus. In just 3 lessons he covers the historical Jesus very thoroughly, even going over every pice of evidence we have concerning him. Bart Ehrman has another course covering Jesus in more depth but this was still well worth the time if you are looking for
Eric Wurm
Dec 18, 2013 Eric Wurm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic course on New testament history conducted by Bart Ehrman. This work addresses such questions as:

Who wrote the Gospels?
When were the Gospels written?
In what order were the Gospels written?
What discrepancies are in the Gospels and why?
Who the wrote the Pauline epistles?
How can we tell who wrote these books?

Ehrman is erudite and well-regarded among Biblical scholars. This work does not disappoint and I highly recommend this and other Great Courses by Bart Ehrman.

Note: This work is fro
Chris Aldrich
Jul 20, 2013 Chris Aldrich rated it really liked it
Ehrman does an excellent job giving an historical overview of the New Testament. He's got a handful of fairly popular books on the history of early Christianity, the New Testament, and Jesus which I've either read or browsed through larger portions. This lecture series hits almost all of the major high points of many of those books. For those interested in his viewpoint and topics of interest, I'd recommend this as a better catchall for most of his written works to save you some time.

His lectur
Ric Parks
Mar 22, 2015 Ric Parks rated it really liked it
Terrific purely historical analysis and overview of the complete new testament. Must be read with the same critical eye required of all biblical theory. History is a game of postulations, guesses, and probabilities and must be read as such and not as a statement of what really happened. Nothing illustrates that better than this very excellent course but I hope everyone who listens to it reserves the right to doubt. I especially question the reasoning for disbelieving the authorship of Peter. The ...more
Thomas
Sep 27, 2011 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, religion
A fantastic lecture series. The important thing for prospective listeners to understand is that his perspective is primarily historical and is based in great part on textual criticism. It is not a theological treatment. But if you are at all interested in the reasons for the numerous contradictions in the New Testament, Ehrman offers some very compelling theories in a clear and consistent manner. Excellent as an introduction to the historical setting of the NT.
Glenn Bowlan
Jul 15, 2015 Glenn Bowlan rated it liked it
These lectures introduce the reader to historical debates and perspectives surrounding the New testament. A foremost concern of these lectures is: who authored the various books in the New Testament, when were they authored, what do they mean in their own historical context, & how do we know? Ehrman's style was straight-forward, enjoyable and easy to follow. There is a lot of interesting material here.
Dominique
Oct 27, 2016 Dominique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This particular lecturer was very engaging, I enjoyed listening to him more than I did the lecturer for the Old Testament Great Course (and she was very good!).

While listening to the last lecture in the series, entitled "Do we have the original New Testament?", I kept thinking, he's taking 30 minutes to explain something that could have taken one word to answer: no. But despite that, he gave a clear, concise answer as to why we don't have the original New Testament.
Drew Weatherton
Jun 17, 2015 Drew Weatherton rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audio version of this course and Bart Ehrman once again doesn't disappoint. He does a great job walking through the new testament books, their history, textual criticism, authorship and views on the Christian religion. If I hadn't been driving I would have been taking pages of notes. Now I want to go pick up his book (of the same name) so I can highlight and take notes on the key points. Highly recommended!
Robert Herald
Sep 27, 2011 Robert Herald rated it really liked it
1) Christianity was a lot more diverse in the fourth century than today.
2) Jesus was an apocoliticist. I guess I recognized thzt when reading the gospel, but didn't put a label on it.
3) The gospels were written 1-2 generations after Jesus died.
4) Many other things.

It's a worthwhile listen.
Dina Shtull
Great. Not having learned much about the New Testament in my upbringing, I found this enlightening. I particularly liked the scholarly or critical approach. If your faith might be shattered knowing that the stories of Jesus are inconsistent and not all based on historical reality - then the book is not for you..
Natalie
Sep 27, 2011 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Very informative. This is a historical perspective on the New Testament. For a religious take, look elsewhere, but all-in-all, an invaluable companion to the study of the bible.
Eileen
Sep 27, 2011 Eileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great lecture course on CD. Very interesting information and the lectures were not boring. I really enjoyed listening to these in the car.
Borax
Feb 01, 2014 Borax rated it really liked it
A fascinating history of how the New Testament was created! I think I will have to listen to the Old Testament lectures now too. Great stuff!
Abdulaziz Fagih
An excellent academic study about New testament and the lecturer has an excellent presentation skill
Khaled H. Ahmed
Khaled H. Ahmed rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2016
Bruce Thomas
Bruce Thomas rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2016
Richard Harden
Richard Harden rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2011
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2011
Leni
Leni rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Fabian
Fabian rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Lou Chiaramonte, Jr.
Lou Chiaramonte, Jr. rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Jay Couling
Jay Couling rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Alexis
Alexis rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Jessica Meyers
Jessica Meyers rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Old Testament (Great Courses, #653)
  • The Early Middle Ages
  • Classical Mythology
  • The Foundations of Western Civilization (Great Courses, #370)
  • A History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts (Great Courses, #8470)
  • History of the English Language
  • The History of Ancient Rome (Great Courses, #340)
  • How to Listen to and Understand Great Music (Great Courses, #700)
  • Great World Religions: Buddhism (Great Courses, #6105)
  • The Fall and Rise of China (Great Courses, #8370)
  • From Yao to Mao: 5000 Years of Chinese History (Great Courses, #8320)
  • The History Of Ancient Egypt (Great Courses, #350)
  • The History Of World Literature (Great Courses, #2300)
  • The Art of Reading (Great Courses, #2198)
  • Cultural Literacy for Religion: Everything the Well-Educated Person Should Know
  • The Medieval World (Great Courses, #8280)
  • The Great Ideas of Philosophy (Great Courses, #4200)
  • The Vikings (Great Courses, #3910)
Bart D. Ehrman is the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor at the University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill. He came to UNC in 1988, after four years of teaching at Rutgers University. At UNC he has served as both the Director of Graduate Studies and the Chair of the Department of Religious Studies.

A graduate of Wheaton College (Illinois), Professor Ehrman received both his Masters of Div
More about Bart D. Ehrman...