Start by marking “Sleeping Beauty” as Want to Read:
Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping Beauty

3.46  ·  Rating Details ·  1,048 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Alternate cover edition for B005K151Y4

Sure, Claire Beau thought about sleeping with her doctor. With his moss green eyes and sexy petulance, neurologist Brendan Charmant is definitely worth fantasizing about. But she didn’t actually do it…did she?

Claire should be able to answer this simple question, but she has no idea. All she knows is that she met him in a sleep lab for
Published March 25th 2015 by Diva Press, Inc. (first published August 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Beauty

Nicole R
I truly enjoyed Ms. Lothlorien's first book, The Frog Prince, so writing this review pains me. However, it is less painful than actually reading Sleeping Beauty.

Where to start? Let's start with the premise: Claire, a pint-sized budding actress on the brink of her big break, has a rare disease called Sleeping Beauty Syndrome. She falls asleep for long periods of time and, while she remains semi functional in a catatonic state, she doesn't remember anything from her weeks "asleep". Enter Dr. Charm
Radella
This really wasn't what I expected. Claire has been diagnosed with a rare sleeping disorder, known as Sleeping Beauty Syndrome. When she's having an episode, she doesn't remember much. So when she wakes up from an episode, she's rather surprised at how dramatically her life has changed. She's quickly caught in a Hollywood whirlwind, as her bit part has suddenly turned into a leading role. Her brother's boyfriend, and her nearly constant companion, has been acting strangely... Not to mention her ...more
Dora Okeyo
I expected a good story- but it turned out to be as confusing as the episodes that the lead, Claire, has.
I was looking forward to her coming off strong-and making sense of her life despite her sleeping disorder-but what I got in turn was just one confusion after the other involving Brendan.
I would however say that the idea is good, the story is worth a read, but somewhere in between it loses its lustre.
Lyndi
Aug 09, 2014 Lyndi marked it as authors-behaving-badly  ·  review of another edition
I'm actually tempted to give this one star without reading it for the slight chance that the author will read it and address me.

Due to this: Utter Bullshit

You can read a real author's opinion on this travesty here: Utter Enlightenment
Cyrille
Jul 06, 2012 Cyrille rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've got to start off by saying this isn't typically the kind of book I generally read. However, it grabbed me on my Kindle and seemed like it had a good sense of humor to it, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Since this ISN'T the kind of book I usually go for, it isn't a big shock that I'm not that wild about it. It has some laughs to it, but the male characters seem to blend into one another to the point I would get confused as to who was who. The guy in the story who doesn't seem to be like al
Amy
So in two subsequent days, I have read and finished both books by Elle Lothlorien, and while the first book, the Frong Prince was enjoyable, this book was far better.

Lothlorien takes a bit of liberty with the idea of KLS syndrome and cataplexy, but uses it in such a way as to make the story plausible and believeable. Her characters, from the sleeping beauty Claire to her doctor boyfriend Brandon Charmant, and the cleverly well written Davin show quite a bit of humor,reliability and well...life.

I
GW
Feb 27, 2012 GW rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Colette
Dec 17, 2013 Colette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I really love how this author takes fairy tales and puts a modern twist to it. I did fall in love with this book immediately. The characters were lovable and I enjoyed being in the main characters head. The story line was unique and engaging.

If you are looking for a quick easy read romance, this one might be a great one to read.

As a warning to some of my sensitive friends:
1) There is some extreme swearing words, but not a ton.
2) There is love scenes. But they are either quickly written or th
Jessica Andersen
Like The Frog Prince, this is a nice contemporary romance, no actual royalty in this one. The main character suffers from Sleeping Beauty Syndrome. She has blackout periods that last a few days to a few weeks, and she has no memory of any activities in that period. I liked this one even better than the Frog Prince, I will definitely read more books by Elle Lothlorien.
PasoMaddie
Hehe, finished yet another book. Couldn't take my eyes off it. Just kept wanting to know what happens next. Loved the ending but was hoping for more. Enjoyable in every way. It also taught me about a few medical disorders I hadn't heard of. :) If only there was another book to it... I want to know if she grows out of it and I want to learn about her daughter.
Andrea Martin
This book is like 50 First Dates, Young and the Restless and Law and Order all rolled into one with a healthy sprinkling of surfer lingo. I really enjoyed it. It was a fun read.
Resa
Aug 04, 2012 Resa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Before getting into my review I would like to point out that Sleeping Beauty is the first/original version of Lothlorien’s Sleeping Beauty Wakes Up. According to reviews and the author herself, this book was changed in Sleeping Beauty Wakes Up from chapter 11 on after several negative reviews and feedback. As this, the original book, has not been unpublished or the price reduced (at the time of review) I can only assume that means the author still believes this book is as good as her second ...more
Dec 11, 2013 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-online
SandraE
Sep 16, 2016 SandraE rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
An odd premise for a book that worked really well.
Allie
Jun 04, 2013 Allie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this book as a "freebie" on Amazon. I was initially attracted to it for the fairy tale title, and because I love twists on known fairy tales.

Aside from the fact that it's called "Sleeping Beauty," she randomly sleeps, and the "main love interest" is "Charmant," this book has no right to call itself "Sleeping Beauty" or even a "twist on a fairy tale." I would have liked it more if I wasn't thinking about the fairy tale concept.

The character development was decent. I wanted to know
Susie
May 18, 2012 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, chick-lit, 2012
I thought this was going to be a light-hearted romantic comedy. It's a romance, but not light and not funny.

Claire Beau has a disorder where she passes out for weeks at a time and can be in a zombie-like mode (walk, eat, shower, etc) but isn't really there and has no memory of it. She goes in for sleep testing and attempts to sexually attacks her doctor while in one of her zombie phases. He resigns from her case and weeks later they meet and start dating. Only she's still in her zombie modes and
Kasey
Mar 29, 2013 Kasey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I was a little torn on this book. I came in expecting fluffy romance and I can't mystery medical romance. This book wasn't bad but for me it was just a little too dragged out. I will admit I didn't like the dual love interests. I did read the alternate ending where (view spoiler) ...more
Brea Brown
Apr 03, 2013 Brea Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me hooked from the very first page. I had trouble putting it down. I stayed up late at night to read it; I read it while getting ready for work in the morning; I was late getting back from my lunch break once, because I couldn't stop reading it! Addictive! I know there's an alternate ending version of the book ("Sleeping Beauty Wakes Up"), but I actually like the way this one ends, so I won't be reading the other version. It's pretty neat that the author responded to readers' ...more
Raquel
Oct 01, 2015 Raquel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: made-me-laugh
This was a very enjoyable, fluffy book. The characters were awesome. I loved the surfer culture that was strung throughout. It balanced nicely with the super intelligent doctor element.

The strength of this book for me was the characters. I found them totally engrossing and really likable. I liked the plot too. The Sleeping Beauty Syndrome is such an interesting plot devise and was really well portrayed.

I have a hard time thinking of this book as a romance novel. I thought it was much better than
Kristen
Dec 19, 2012 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of Elle Lothloriens books to date and this is my favorite. I noticed after I read this one that there was another book with a different ending. I'm so glad that I found this one first because I liked the ending of this version the best. I mean, really, of course Sleeping Beauty ends up with Prince Charming! There really is no other option in my opinion.

This is not your typical Sleeping Beauty story. I'm not sure if I liked this one more because I didn't catch all the references t
Kathleen Crowell
Whoa! I was not expecting this story! I LOVED EL's first novel so much. This was not a comedy at all. Actually, I found the storyline quite disturbing. I really liked Brendan, and I found the surfer characters quite interesting--but Davin gave me the creeps from the get go! I did want to keep reading until the end because I did want to know what the big "secret" was--although it was pretty obvious. I would probably have given this a 2.5 star rating, but really what good is that .5 going to do? ...more
Johnna Ehlendt
This was not my favorite book and I probably won't read it again, but I am glad I read it because I enjoyed the author's first book. This one seemed to leave me confused in a lot of places in the book. There didn't seem to be explainations for some of the actions that left me confused, but I guess it worked because I continued reading to see if I could find out what happened.

The storyline disturbed me a little with Brendan being accused of rape. That is a pretty serious offense and to use it in
Melissa
Jun 29, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I don't know if I really liked the story so much, and as with other reviewers - it wasn't all that comical, there were really some heavy issues presented within the context of this book. But, at the end of the day, I didn't want to put it down and I was curious to see how all these imperfect people with imperfect actions were going to come around to reconcile with one another all that had taken place. Impressively, by the end, everyone has reconciled each others actions and continue to live in ...more
Carrie
Mar 23, 2013 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, kindle
I love this book! It was definitely a 'couldn't put it down' book for me! And I cried...a lot. And I laughed...a lot. The writing was witty and excellent. The character development was excellent...I actually feel like I have a new group of friends, but I'm missing them terribly! I just loved, loved the story line and the emotion and the agony and the joy...all of it!

For the more sensitive reader...some swearing with less than a dozen extreme words...that was my only complaint. Love scenes were e
Tammy
Mar 09, 2013 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was NOT what I was expecting. I loved the beginning and was completely blind sided by the events that followed. I laughed, but not as much as I thought I would. This was defiantly not a romantic comedy. At times I got really emotional, especially when some of the heavier issues came up. I felt betrayed by the male characters. The story completely sucked me in. I'm not sure how I felt about the ending but it's hard not to give a good review to a book I stayed up till 3 am to finish. I ...more
Jessica
Mar 31, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not exactly sure how to rate/review this book. I enjoyed it for the most part and I did find it humorous. However, there is something obnoxious about it. It leaves you hanging for some important piece of the puzzle and then when it gives it to you, there is another thing you have to wait for. Like I said, very hard to explain. I will most likely never read this again. The characters were likeable/relateable and I couldn't put this book down because I had to know what was going to happen ...more
Sandy Duncan
Mar 07, 2014 Sandy Duncan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great adult contemporary fairy talle

this is the second book I've read by Elle Lothlorien and I loved it. loved the references to the fairy tale yet not being that fairy tale but completely different and so much more interesting. loved the characters, the romances, the mystery, the twists and turns. I could not put this book down because I had to know what happened next and if our sleeping beauty would be ok. highly recommend this book. moving on to her 3rd book now.
Loverlypurple
This book for some reason was a tough one for me to get through. I put it down a few times read other books and finally came back to finish this one. I did enjoy the story line but sometimes there were a few to many characters to keep them all straight. Also It was suppose to be a suspense/comedy but it was a very suspenseful without the comedy. I guess it wouldn't be my usual read but I'm glad I did read it and will check out the other book by this author.
Megan
Apr 16, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I just couldn't put this book down! I literally stayed up until 4 in the morning to finish reading the book, having simply picked it up when I went to bed many hours earlier, hoping it would help me fall asleep. There were certainly "predictable" parts, where I knew long before something was confirmed in the book, but nothing that detracted from the overall appeal the book had. Loved it! Make sure you read the Afterword, too. It made me laugh a little :)
Ellen
Dec 21, 2014 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For what it is .. it is done well. A light frothy romance based on a beloved fairy tale. Sometimes you need some fun and this is it. A little sweet and a little sassy - like the lemon halves with a peppermint stick we used to get at the Fireman's Carnival. The author also has 'Sleeping Beauty Wakes Up' which is an alternate ending for those who don't think she ended up with the right guy. I think she did so I liked this version more.
  • The Firelight of Maalda (Legend of the Raie'Chaelia, #2)
  • Last Flight Out
  • When Destiny Knocks (Destiny Saga, #1)
  • Accidentally Yours
  • Mr. Right For The Night
  • Back To U
  • Got a Hold on You
  • Three Wishes
  • Smart Mouth Waitress (Life in Saltwater City, #2)
  • Subculture
  • Do or Di
  • Happy Hour
  • Last Summer
  • Tats
  • Soul Sisters (Soul Sisters, #1)
  • With this Kiss
  • A Proper Charlie
  • The Last Page
A “military brat,” Elle Lothlorien was born in Germany and spent her childhood in such far-flung places as Puerto Rico, Charleston, S.C., Italy, and Washington D.C. Sadly, the only language she ever became semi-fluent in is English. She writes romantic comedies that are loose riffs on the popular fairy tales she read as a child–stories she still loves as an adult. Elle’s first self-published ...more
More about Elle Lothlorien...