Start by marking “The Historical Jesus (Great Courses, #643)” as Want to Read:
The Historical Jesus (Great Courses, #643)

The Historical Jesus (The Great Courses #643)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Audiobook
Published January 1st 2000 by The Teaching Company

To ask other readers questions about The Historical Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Historical Jesus

Clif Hostetler
I listened to these lectures about ten years ago, and decided to brush up on the subject by listening to them again. Bart Ehrman starts at the beginner's level and proceeds in small logical steps to explain the historical method and criteria for judging the reliability of sources.

Ehrman basis his analyses on three criteria and uses the first ten lectures to explain and defend these criteria. People who are familiar with the criteria and are willing to accept them can safely skip these ten lectur
Jean Doolittle
This was very informative and was a well-balanced and authoritative look at Jesus from a historical perspective, demonstrating what can be learned from the historical record. It was a clear look at how historical research is conducted, which was very worthwhile. I can take that understanding into other historical documentation and be able to distinguish in a much deeper way what is likely factual, possibly factual, or highly suspect and in the realm of opinion or conjecture. By placing all his e ...more
Thomas
A well designed course covering the purely historical evidence available about Jesus. Ehrman makes it crystal clear that the course is an historical, and not a theological approach. It is a critical evaluation, which will upset a few people who have set views about Jesus and the NT (and Ehrman's critics can be found fulminating all over the internet). But a critical evaluation of the historical evidence can also provide a context for the theology that it inspires. It may even transform it.

Love
Bart D. Ehrman is a religious studies professor at University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. In these twenty-four audio lectures, he uses the tools of a secular historian to determine what Jesus actually said and did. This was really my first analytical look at the gospels, and I had not realized some of the contradictions between the books on some pretty big points like whether Jesus was put to death before or after the Passover feast. I very much enjoyed these lectures. They were captivating, ...more
Susan
I liked the way he gave the criteria he would use throughout to determine the probability of authenticity from an historians point of view and how he took the examples he gave through the criteria. I wish he would have given the process he used to decide that the gospels were pseudononymous and the dates of their composition.

He also stated at the beginning that the criterion of disimilarity could really only be used to say that something probably did happen but not that it didn't. Yet near the
Jessica
This set is made up of 24 half hour lectures by University of North Carolina Professor of Religious Studies Bart Ehrman. Ehrman applies tests of historical accuracy to the various gospels to try to zero in on what did Jesus really say? and what did Jesus really do? Professor Ehrman is a great speaker and shows that he has a sense of humor. These traits make the lectures fun to listen to. I appreciated how Ehrman keeps recapping previous material and tying the many parts into three over-arching c ...more
Peter Swenson
Kind of earth shattering. Really good. Not for Christians who are afraid of new perspectives. Or rather, that's exactly who should read this. You should be more interested in truth and fact than in the comfort of traditions.
David
Typical Bart Ehrman, but I'm a huge fan, so... He really goes in depth with his research. He presents his information in a way that, while obviously authoritative (scholarly), it is easy for a lay person to understand and follow along.
Janice
We listened to Part I of this audio book on a recent trip. The author is a Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina; he is also a prolific author, with many titles to his name. This one definitely focuses on the historic life, and evidence to support the same, of Jesus of Nazareth. This is not a religious treaty, but a objective, and thought provoking look at a life that has impacted history for over two thousand years.
Marian
This is delivered in a very monotonous way. He sounds like someone giving their first powerpoint presentation. If you're interested in this subject but are having a hard time getting through this try his more recent work (by 2005 his skills are much better).
Sid
Parts of this were slow and quite repetitive. But overall I enjoyed these lectures and found several things worth thinking about. The lecture that went through the historical context of Israel was very useful and enjoyable.
Cliff
Great content. Excellent explanation of the secular historian's viewpoint and tools. Not faith promoting.
Craig J.
"The Historical Jesus, Part 1 & 2 by Professor Bart D. Ehrman (2000)"
Dr Mohamed
Dr Mohamed marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Troy Rodgers
Troy Rodgers marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Jared Whitefield
Jared Whitefield marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Alaksandus Edward
Alaksandus Edward marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Eric Hu
Eric Hu marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Arnold Davis
Arnold Davis marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution: modern physics for non-scientists
  • Classical Mythology
  • The Vikings (Great Courses, #3910)
  • The History Of Ancient Egypt (Great Courses, #350)
  • No Excuses: Existentialism and the Meaning of Life
  • The History of Ancient Rome (Great Courses, #340)
  • The Great Ideas of Philosophy (Great Courses, #4200)
  • Nutrition Made Clear
  • From Yao to Mao: 5000 Years of Chinese History (Great Courses, #8320)
  • The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World
  • The Art Of Critical Decision Making (Great Courses, #5932)
  • How to Listen to and Understand Great Music (Great Courses, #700)
  • Argumentation: The Study Of Effective Reasoning (Great Courses, #4294)
  • The Fall and Rise of China (Great Courses, #8370)
  • The Skeptic's Guide to American History
  • The Story of Human Language
  • Books That Have Made History: Books That Can Change Your Life
  • The Art of Reading (Great Courses, #2198)
Bart D. Ehrman is the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor at the University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill. He came to UNC in 1988, after four years of teaching at Rutgers University. At UNC he has served as both the Director of Graduate Studies and the Chair of the Department of Religious Studies.

A graduate of Wheaton College (Illinois), Professor Ehrman received both his Masters of Div
More about Bart D. Ehrman...

The Great Courses (1 - 10 of 285 books)
  • My Favorite Universe (Great Courses, #158)
  • Understanding Literature and Life: Drama, Poetry and Narrative (Great Courses, #210)
  • King Arthur and Chivalry (Great Courses, #245)
  • Shakespeare: The Word and the Action (The Great Courses)
  • From Plato to Post-modernism: Understanding the Essence of Literature and the Role of the Author (Great Courses, #295)
  • The Odyssey of Homer (Great Courses #302)
  • Ancient Greek Civilization (Great Courses, #323)
  • Neolithic Europe (Great Courses, #329)
  • The History of Ancient Rome (Great Courses, #340)
  • The History Of Ancient Egypt (Great Courses, #350)
Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible & Why We Don't Know About Them Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew God's Problem: How the Bible Fails to Answer Our Most Important Question - Why We Suffer Forged: Writing in the Name of God