Start by marking “South Of Shiloh” as Want to Read:
South Of Shiloh

South Of Shiloh

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A nameless sniper is targeting participants in popular Civil War battle reenactments, and Minnesota reenactor Paul Edin is killed at the mock Battle of Kirby Creek, near Corinth, Mississippi. His death is ruled an accident, but Paul's widow, Jenny, discovers that the sniper's bullet was meant for the man standing next to Paul, a cop named Kenny Beeman. To penetrate the Mis ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about South Of Shiloh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South Of Shiloh

Lorann
This was very good. I had not yet read much Logan but I intend to read more. I generally enjoy a local (for me) writer.
He is a friend of John Sandford and I have seen them together on book tours. I can see some similarities yet they are different enough to both be enjoyable. Very complementary writing styles.
This wrapped up a bit too neatly but it was satisfying. Learned a lot about Civil War reenactment. I liked the central character Rane. His adventures would be great as a series.
Benjamin Sobieck
Minnesota crime author Chuck Logan came up with the biggest jerk of a protagonist ever in "Absolute Zero." I gave the novel its own absolute zero in this review. But there was something about ol' Chuck that I liked. No matter how much I hated his characters, his writing style piqued my interest.

I decided to give him another chance, this time with his 2008 release, "South of Shiloh." The novel centers on a Civil War re-enactment that goes haywire when a Minnesota man is shot and killed for real.

J
Ed
2008 stand-alone thriller from Chuck Logan, author of the Phillip Broker series.

Thriller - Paul Edin is killed in a MS Civil War re-enactment. Kenny Beeman, a local cop, was the real target. John Rane, a talented photographer and ex-cop, is also the real father of Edin's daughter. Rane travels to MS with Edin's re-enactor gear and an excellent rifle to investigate. Excellent dialogue between Rane and Beeman; plot not as good.
Jessica
Not really a mystery (given that most of that part of the story is known within the first 50 pages or so), but the early portions about reenactments are interesting and well-written. The rest of the book is less successful - it's kind of a bunch of random events slapped together with little to hold it all together. Logan has potential, but could benefit from more editorial guidance in storycraft.
Melissa
"South of Shiloh" has better characters than most suspense novels, and a whole lot of history. The Battle of Shiloh was one of the bloodiest battles in the Civil War -- over 24,000 dead and wounded. Historic re-enactments at Shiloh are supposed to be safe, but accidents happen. Except when they aren't accidents at all ...
I genuinely liked this book until the end WHICH DIDN'T MAKE A LICK OF SENSE!
Mark
The is my 3rd Logan and my favorite thusfar...I previously thought the earlier works were workman-like, but entertaining...certainly a non-formulaic murder mystery...I love the analyses of the clashes of Southern culture with the attitudes of the American Mid-West...it rivals the descriptions provided by James Lee Burke...great characters...so-so plot...great dialogue
Patsy
A sniper is targeting civil war battle reenactment participants - killing a MN citizen by mistake. The widow discovers that the sniper's bullet was meant for the man standing next to her husband, and enlists the aid of her former lover and father of her child, a news photographer.

New author for me - was good.
Susan
May 18, 2008 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Susan by: Jeeks
I started this on recommendation from Jeeks, our favorite librarian!!!! when she heard that Robert was going to be traveling through the south and visiting Shiloh area. Took a little to get into it, the author used 100 pages to get you to care about anything.... but all in all, it was a good read.
Pat
I loved this story, it was intense, with prose that really pulled you into feeling what the characters were going through. Plus, as a reading fan of the Civil War, it was fascinating to be brought into the world of CW re-enactors and experience how and why they are so devoted to this experience.
Al Stoess
Aug 23, 2013 Al Stoess rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Logan fans
Good start. It was ok. Hard to believe some of the characters. Also hard to believe some of the "alliances" among the characters in the book.
Sherri Vigil
I did not enjoy anything about this story. Was a big yawner for me. I'm a fan of the author but this one was a bust for me.
Sue
Jul 22, 2008 Sue rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Very well ressearched for the Civil War background but the plot line was not as strong as Logan's other mysteries.
Karen
another one with false advertising! this one said it was a thriller...and I never found the thrill!
Midge
I did not care for this book; He needs to go back to his old style and Minnesota's locations.
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
May 20, 2015
Paul
Paul added it
Mar 12, 2015
Rolanda
Rolanda marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Walter
Walter marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Fc Luffey
Fc Luffey marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Chuck Logan is an author of crime drama and veteran of the Vietnam War, who lives with his wife and daughter in Stillwater, Minnesota.

He is best known for his series of novels featuring the character Phil Broker, an ex-Minnesota police officer. Logan's novels include Hunter's Moon, Absolute Zero, Vapor Trail, Homefront, and After the Rain. Homefront is now a major motion picture starring James Fra
More about Chuck Logan...
Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3) Homefront (Phil Broker, #6) The Price Of Blood (Phil Broker, #1) After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5) The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)