Start by marking “South Of Shiloh” as Want to Read:
South Of Shiloh

South Of Shiloh

A nameless sniper is targeting participants in popular Civil War battle reenactments, and Minnesota reenactor Paul Edin is killed at the mock Battle of Kirby Creek, near Corinth, Mississippi. His death is ruled an accident, but Paul's widow, Jenny, discovers that the sniper's bullet was meant for the man standing next to Paul, a cop named Kenny Beeman. To penetrate the Mis ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about South Of Shiloh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South Of Shiloh

Benjamin Sobieck
Apr 16, 2011 Benjamin Sobieck rated it really liked it
Minnesota crime author Chuck Logan came up with the biggest jerk of a protagonist ever in "Absolute Zero." I gave the novel its own absolute zero in this review. But there was something about ol' Chuck that I liked. No matter how much I hated his characters, his writing style piqued my interest.

I decided to give him another chance, this time with his 2008 release, "South of Shiloh." The novel centers on a Civil War re-enactment that goes haywire when a Minnesota man is shot and killed for real.

J
Ed
2008 stand-alone thriller from Chuck Logan, author of the Phillip Broker series.

Thriller - Paul Edin is killed in a MS Civil War re-enactment. Kenny Beeman, a local cop, was the real target. John Rane, a talented photographer and ex-cop, is also the real father of Edin's daughter. Rane travels to MS with Edin's re-enactor gear and an excellent rifle to investigate. Excellent dialogue between Rane and Beeman; plot not as good.
Jessica
Not really a mystery (given that most of that part of the story is known within the first 50 pages or so), but the early portions about reenactments are interesting and well-written. The rest of the book is less successful - it's kind of a bunch of random events slapped together with little to hold it all together. Logan has potential, but could benefit from more editorial guidance in storycraft.
Lorann
Jan 31, 2009 Lorann rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-read, minnesota
This was very good. I had not yet read much Logan but I intend to read more. I generally enjoy a local (for me) writer.
He is a friend of John Sandford and I have seen them together on book tours. I can see some similarities yet they are different enough to both be enjoyable. Very complementary writing styles.
This wrapped up a bit too neatly but it was satisfying. Learned a lot about Civil War reenactment. I liked the central character Rane. His adventures would be great as a series.
Melissa
May 06, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
"South of Shiloh" has better characters than most suspense novels, and a whole lot of history. The Battle of Shiloh was one of the bloodiest battles in the Civil War -- over 24,000 dead and wounded. Historic re-enactments at Shiloh are supposed to be safe, but accidents happen. Except when they aren't accidents at all ...
I genuinely liked this book until the end WHICH DIDN'T MAKE A LICK OF SENSE!
Patsy
Mar 16, 2013 Patsy rated it really liked it
A sniper is targeting civil war battle reenactment participants - killing a MN citizen by mistake. The widow discovers that the sniper's bullet was meant for the man standing next to her husband, and enlists the aid of her former lover and father of her child, a news photographer.

New author for me - was good.
Mark
Apr 19, 2009 Mark rated it it was amazing
The is my 3rd Logan and my favorite thusfar...I previously thought the earlier works were workman-like, but entertaining...certainly a non-formulaic murder mystery...I love the analyses of the clashes of Southern culture with the attitudes of the American Mid-West...it rivals the descriptions provided by James Lee Burke...great characters...so-so plot...great dialogue
Katie
Jun 17, 2015 Katie rated it liked it
Despite what it says on the cover I wouldn't consider this a "thriller". Most exciting part of the book was the last 50 pages. Lots of unspoken conversations between the characters. I read it mainly because of a fascination with the Civil War period.
Pat
Oct 08, 2012 Pat rated it it was amazing
I loved this story, it was intense, with prose that really pulled you into feeling what the characters were going through. Plus, as a reading fan of the Civil War, it was fascinating to be brought into the world of CW re-enactors and experience how and why they are so devoted to this experience.
Susan
May 18, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
Recommended to Susan by: Jeeks
I started this on recommendation from Jeeks, our favorite librarian!!!! when she heard that Robert was going to be traveling through the south and visiting Shiloh area. Took a little to get into it, the author used 100 pages to get you to care about anything.... but all in all, it was a good read.
Al Stoess
Aug 23, 2013 Al Stoess rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Logan fans
Good start. It was ok. Hard to believe some of the characters. Also hard to believe some of the "alliances" among the characters in the book.
Sue
Jul 22, 2008 Sue rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Very well ressearched for the Civil War background but the plot line was not as strong as Logan's other mysteries.
Sherri Vigil
Dec 29, 2011 Sherri Vigil rated it did not like it
I did not enjoy anything about this story. Was a big yawner for me. I'm a fan of the author but this one was a bust for me.
Debby Long
Jan 25, 2016 Debby Long rated it did not like it
Lots of words minus much story. Could have been told in 4 chapters or less. A waste of a lot of time.
Karen
Jun 04, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok
another one with false advertising! this one said it was a thriller...and I never found the thrill!
Sandra Bell
Sandra Bell rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Ani
Ani rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Stephen Andreala
Stephen Andreala rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Cathy
Cathy rated it it was ok
Jul 04, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2012
Todd Marshall
Todd Marshall rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Connie O'Harra
Connie O'Harra rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Freda Mccallie
Freda Mccallie rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Randy
Randy rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Debra
Debra rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Chuck Logan is an author of crime drama and veteran of the Vietnam War, who lives with his wife and daughter in Stillwater, Minnesota.

He is best known for his series of novels featuring the character Phil Broker, an ex-Minnesota police officer. Logan's novels include Hunter's Moon, Absolute Zero, Vapor Trail, Homefront, and After the Rain. Homefront is now a major motion picture starring James Fra
More about Chuck Logan...