The Black Pearl (The Morland Dynasty, #5)

The Black Pearl (The Morland Dynasty #5)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  8 reviews
1659 - Charles II; The Restoration

The bleak years of Cromwell's Protectorate are drawing to a close. Civil war and its aftermath have left Morland Place in bad case, but with the return of the king, Ralph, the master, believes he can rebuild its fortunes. For his beautiful and ambitious cousin Annunciata it means a journey to London where, embroiled in the amours and intri...more
Published June 1st 1994 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published 1982)

Ana T.
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles continues the story of the Morland family using English history has the background. This entry is volume number five and has the previous ones it has a female Morland as the main character. This time it is Annunciata Morland, Ruth's daughter.

Annunciata never met her father, in fact no one, except her mother, knows of her parentage. That, however, doesn't stop her from being a proud and arrogant young woman who loves to be the center of attention and to belittle her less fo...more
Lian Tanner
This is a wonderful series and I'm reading it through in order. So far I haven't come across a single dud, and this is number five in the story of the Morland dynasty. The characters are deeply human, fallible, annoying and interesting in turns. I didn't like Annunciata at first - she was so spoiled and vain and selfish - but she grows up as the story progresses and becomes much more likeable.
Nancy
The Black Pearl (The Morland Dynasty, #5) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles Another good read about the Morlands. I am really enjoying this series about England's upper class through the centuries. Thanks to Komet for listing this series as favorites.
Marg
4.5/5

It's been more than 18 months since I read the last Morland book and I have no idea why. I think this is my favourite so far, not only because of the focus on Charles II but also because of more appearances by Prince Rupert of Rhine.
Luci
This is the fifth book in the series. The series is still holding my interest and this one covers the Restoration. I enjoy the strong female characters as well as the interesting ways she brings the family into British history.
Mimi
Another solid entry in the "Moreland Dynasty" series, this one takes up as Cromwell's rule is ending and the King is brought back.
Edith Clayton
# 5 in the series. 6 & 7 are in the mail & I can't wait to read them.
Frances Fuller
Although flawed, the heroine was too good for men in her life.
Scarlet O.H.
Scarlet O.H. marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Lija Bane
Lija Bane marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Zain Umer
Zain Umer marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Sue Van
Sue Van marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Chris Humphrey
Chris Humphrey marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Carol Boos
Carol Boos marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
  • Kathryn in the Court of Six Queens
  • The Prince of Darkness (Plantagenet Saga, #4)
  • Foxfire
  • The House at Sunset (House, #3)
  • The Vizard Mask
  • My Lord John
  • The Falcons Of Montabard
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (aka Emma Woodhouse, Elizabeth Bennett)

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles was born on13 August 1948 in Shepherd's Bush, London, England, where was educated at Burlington School, a girls' charity school founded in 1699, and at the University of Edinburgh and University College London, where she studied English, history and philosophy.

She had a variety of jobs in the commercial world, start...more
More about Cynthia Harrod-Eagles...
The Founding (The Morland Dynasty, #1) The Dark Rose (The Morland Dynasty, #2) The Princeling (Morland Dynasty, #3) The Oak Apple (Morland Dynasty, #4) The Long Shadow (Morland Dynasty, #6)