Transit To Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #1)(Delian Cycle, #1)

Transit To Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #1) (Dray Prescot #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  20 reviews
On the planet Kregen that circles Antares, the brightest star of the Constellation of the Scorpion, two forces contend for the world's destiny. One of them, the Savanti, called in a human pawn from far-away Earth.

His name is Dray Prescot, and only the Savanti know his role.

Dray Prescot confronted a fabulous world -- barbaric, unmapped, peopled with both human and non-human...more
Published (first published December 1st 1972)

Mark
A Conan by any other name would still smell as sweaty...

Technically this is a "Sword and Planet" novel, a quite specific little fantasy sub-genre where an Earthman is mysteriously transported to another planet where he swashbuckels among various barbarian human and non-human cultures and there's always a princess who needs rescuing. John Carter of Mars is perhaps the best known example.

I've read thirty-odd books in this series and really enjoy it. In addition to the physical vigor of the stories...more
Garham
Some of the best sword-and-planet ever written begins with this book. I absolutely loved this series. Aside from all the obvious awesome stuff (weird alien places, even weirder alien demi-humans and monsters, hack-n-slash action, a wonderfully understated love story) there are a couple of other things I really like about the series:

-The 1st person narration is rather to-the-point, but not without the occasional bit of *very* dry humour. There is very little whiny, woe-is-me, tortured-inner-life...more
Randy
The first volume in the Dray of Prescott series, the tale of an eighteenth century man drawn to the world of Kregen, circling the star Antares four hundred light years away. He is first brought there by the Star Lords as an audition for champion.

He first meets the lady that will be his love of his life, Delia of The Blue Mountains a girl with a crippled foot. There is the means to heal her, springs with healing properties that he'd bathed in, giving him a thousand years of robust health. A bath...more
Joseph
An enjoyable book, clearly emulating Edgar Rice Burroughs and his Barsoom adventures. Kenneth Bulmer has certain strengths that add to the overall story, he is knowledgeable about ships and sailing, and also about fencing. The method of transit to the planet Kregen I find to be the weakest part of the book, as there is no real attempt to explain the physical method of transportation. Many of the main plot points are lifted directly from the Barsoom books, and I am hoping later books in the serie...more
AC
A savage alien world, a swashbuckling hero, a gorgeous princess in need of rescue, and enough action and adventure for three novels... what more could you ask for?

This is the first in a long series of John Carter of Mars inspired Sword and Planet romances by Alan Burt Akers (pen name of HK Bulmer), the book is really at the height of a now deceased genre. The action is well paced, the world is well crafted and interesting, the characters are well rounded. In fact, the protagonist, Dray Prescot,...more
Charles
This is the first in the series. The real author for the whole series is Kenneth Bulmer, a British SF/fantasy writer, but he wrote them under the name Alan Burt Akers. Supposedly, the stories were told to Akers by Dray Prescot, via audio tapes. Prescot is the hero of the stories.

As for my rankings for this whole series, be aware that I just "love" Sword & Planet fiction. That means in many cases my rankings might be somewhat higher than those given by readers of fantasy who are not so enamor...more
David Bonesteel
An English seaman of the 17th century, Dray Prescot, is sent to the savage alien world of Kregen, where he has amazing adventures and falls in love with a princess. This is fun escapist literature in the lost worlds genre. The prose is rather overheated and, at times, tortuously verbose, but that's part of the fun. Author Keith Bulmer, writing under the pseudonym of Alan Burt Akers, injects a healthy amount of humor into his narrative as well. Recommended for a light, quick read.
Tim
Don't judge the rest of this fine John Carter of Mars type of series by the opener. It's not bad, but Kenneth Bulmer (writing as Alan Burt Akers writing as Dray Prescot) turned out a first book that is comparatively weak and doesn't find its footing. I came to love Dray and Delia of Vallia, though, in the course of this very lengthy (and rich and delightful and imaginative) series on Daw Books.
Derek
I'm curious where the author is going with this. There's obviously some form of plan afoot: the relationship and possible rivalry between the Savanti and the Star Lords and their manipulation of affairs on the planet Kregan, and the mysterious prophecy alluded to when Prescot provides a forbidden healing to Delia.

Charles
This is the first in the series, though not the first one I read. I actually think some of the later books were better than this one, but it gets a five because it introduces the whole series and the main character, Dray Prescot, an earthman who is transported to the world of Kregen.

Steven
I woke up on a strange planet reading a novel about a guy that wakes up on a strange planet. Oh wait.... Right this is a strange planet. And this is a beginning of a series of me hero, you Jane. Sword and planet books I love to read.
Let the game begin!
David
Awesome. Highly recommend. The world is unique and imagined. The story is grand in scope and the protagonist constantly is changing who he is and what situations he finds himself in. Incredible journey, was highly impressed.
Jonathan Stevens

This is actually the third book I have read in this sword and planet series, having
first read the third and fourth. This one made a good read while I was traveling.
This one is a free sample at smashwords.com.
Exanimis
After reading the many reviews posted here and on Amazon.com I could not wait to begin reading this series. I was terribly disappointed with this first effort.

Lucas
One of the best pieces of Sword & Planet fiction ever written, this quintet can truly stand shoulder to shoulder with the best of this Genre.
Lynn Hall
I knew straight from the first pages this was going to be a fun,exciting adventure on an exotic world-and l wasn`t wrong!
John Petts
I enjoyed this book. It was fun but everything felt easy. Not very deep, but fast moving.
Cheryl
I didn't love this book, but it was fairly fun to read and exciting in places.
Peter
Yet another Burroughs clone - better than the Gor books
Joe Muise
fair.hard to follow.
John Walker
John Walker marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Estelle Le sausse
Estelle Le sausse marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Linnea
Linnea added it
Jun 24, 2014
Warrior of Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #3) (Delian Cycle, #3) The Suns of Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #2) (Delian Cycle, #2) Swordships of Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #4) (Delian Cycle, #4) Prince of Scorpio (Delian Cycle, #5; Dray Prescot, #5) Manhounds of Antares (Havilfar Cycle, #1; Dray Prescot, #6)