Start by marking “Transit to Scorpio” as Want to Read:
Transit to Scorpio

Transit to Scorpio (Dray Prescot #1)

Book One of the Dray Prescot series. On the planet Kregen that circles Antares, the brightest star of the Constellation of the Scorpion, two forces contend for the world's destiny. One of them, the Savanti, called in a human pawn from far-away Earth. His name is Dray Prescot, and only the Savanti know his role. Dray Prescot confronted a fabulous world -- barbaric, unmapped ...more
Published April 5th 1983 by DAW (first published December 1st 1972)

Mark
Dec 08, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A Conan by any other name would still smell as sweaty...

Technically this is a "Sword and Planet" novel, a quite specific little fantasy sub-genre where an Earthman is mysteriously transported to another planet where he swashbuckels among various barbarian human and non-human cultures and there's always a princess who needs rescuing. John Carter of Mars is perhaps the best known example.

I've read thirty-odd books in this series and really enjoy it. In addition to the physical vigor of the stories
Garham
Jan 20, 2012 Garham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sword-and-planet
Some of the best sword-and-planet ever written begins with this book. I absolutely loved this series. Aside from all the obvious awesome stuff (weird alien places, even weirder alien demi-humans and monsters, hack-n-slash action, a wonderfully understated love story) there are a couple of other things I really like about the series:

-The 1st person narration is rather to-the-point, but not without the occasional bit of *very* dry humour. There is very little whiny, woe-is-me, tortured-inner-life
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the first in the series. The real author for the whole series is Kenneth Bulmer, a British SF/fantasy writer, but he wrote them under the name Alan Burt Akers. Supposedly, the stories were told to Akers by Dray Prescot, via audio tapes. Prescot is the hero of the stories.

As for my rankings for this whole series, be aware that I just "love" Sword & Planet fiction. That means in many cases my rankings might be somewhat higher than those given by readers of fantasy who are not so enamor
Randy
May 19, 2011 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first volume in the Dray of Prescott series, the tale of an eighteenth century man drawn to the world of Kregen, circling the star Antares four hundred light years away. He is first brought there by the Star Lords as an audition for champion.

He first meets the lady that will be his love of his life, Delia of The Blue Mountains a girl with a crippled foot. There is the means to heal her, springs with healing properties that he'd bathed in, giving him a thousand years of robust health. A bath
Timothy Boyd
If you are a John Carter of Mars fan or enjoy the "displaced person on another world" then this series is for you. The books run in long story arcs so you can read just a few to complete a plot line or go for the whole set. Akers creates a very complex world for the hero to adventure in. Recommended
Derek
Oct 17, 2011 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sword-and-planet
I'm curious where the author is going with this. There's obviously some form of plan afoot: the relationship and possible rivalry between the Savanti and the Star Lords and their manipulation of affairs on the planet Kregan, and the mysterious prophecy alluded to when Prescot provides a forbidden healing to Delia.

Nicole
Not sure how I found this and I'm not about to buy the next one. It's a cardboard cut out of several basic tropes and having read God of Mars, I'm struck by the similarities and the fact this one is bad by comparison. The author is clearly trying to write in a classic sci-fi style but he just didn't quite manage to follow through for me.
Joseph
Oct 14, 2013 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
An enjoyable book, clearly emulating Edgar Rice Burroughs and his Barsoom adventures. Kenneth Bulmer has certain strengths that add to the overall story, he is knowledgeable about ships and sailing, and also about fencing. The method of transit to the planet Kregen I find to be the weakest part of the book, as there is no real attempt to explain the physical method of transportation. Many of the main plot points are lifted directly from the Barsoom books, and I am hoping later books in the serie ...more
Frank Talaber
Feb 23, 2015 Frank Talaber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another author that influenced my writing muses. I spent a lot of my summers reading the Aker books, can't remember how many he wrote. a lot. Not as heroic as Conan, but like him, a male that fought or puzzled his way out of danger and even got to marry the princess of his dreams. Who in her own right, was one tough woman.

MuseItUP Shaman's Lure: https://museituppublishing.com/bookst...

AC
May 15, 2011 AC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A savage alien world, a swashbuckling hero, a gorgeous princess in need of rescue, and enough action and adventure for three novels... what more could you ask for?

This is the first in a long series of John Carter of Mars inspired Sword and Planet romances by Alan Burt Akers (pen name of HK Bulmer), the book is really at the height of a now deceased genre. The action is well paced, the world is well crafted and interesting, the characters are well rounded. In fact, the protagonist, Dray Prescot,
Joseph
Jul 28, 2015 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Valentin Mihov
SUMMARY:
On the planet Kregen that circles Antares, the brightest star of the Constellation of the Scorpion, two forces contend for the world's destiny. One of them, the Savanti, called in a human pawn from far-away Earth.His name is Dray Prescot, and only the Savanti know his role.Dray Prescot confronted a fabulous world -- barbaric, unmapped, peopled with both human and non-human races. But there were always the Star Lords to watch and check the Savanti's plans. And it soon turned out that Dray
Ralph Carlson
Jan 01, 2016 Ralph Carlson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I am not an avid reader of this type of science fantasy adventures (except for those by Edgar Rice Burroughs), I found this a delite to read. I first read it when it was first published by DAW, and after this second reading still enjoyed it. While I only got into the series by 6 or 7 books before, I am hoping to read the complete series this time. It will be a challenge as there are now 52 books in the series.
David Bonesteel
Jun 12, 2013 David Bonesteel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An English seaman of the 17th century, Dray Prescot, is sent to the savage alien world of Kregen, where he has amazing adventures and falls in love with a princess. This is fun escapist literature in the lost worlds genre. The prose is rather overheated and, at times, tortuously verbose, but that's part of the fun. Author Keith Bulmer, writing under the pseudonym of Alan Burt Akers, injects a healthy amount of humor into his narrative as well. Recommended for a light, quick read.
Tim
Jun 27, 2011 Tim rated it it was ok
Don't judge the rest of this fine John Carter of Mars type of series by the opener. It's not bad, but Kenneth Bulmer (writing as Alan Burt Akers writing as Dray Prescot) turned out a first book that is comparatively weak and doesn't find its footing. I came to love Dray and Delia of Vallia, though, in the course of this very lengthy (and rich and delightful and imaginative) series on Daw Books.
Richard
Mar 06, 2016 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Burrough's Mars and Venus books; Fox's Warrior of Llarn
Great adventure story similar to Burroughs. Finding himself on a strange world Dray Prescot does everything possible to stay alive and near his new found love. Awesome fun cannot wait to read the others.
Jonathan Stevens

This is actually the third book I have read in this sword and planet series, having
first read the third and fourth. This one made a good read while I was traveling.
This one is a free sample at smashwords.com.
Brian Holder
Aug 19, 2015 Brian Holder rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, owned, ebook
I made it halfway and just couldn't finish it. Too many inexplicable occurrences and too many fleeting encounters are really suited to books from an earlier period. A book from 1972 I would hope to be slightly more sophisticated.
Steven
Aug 18, 2011 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
I woke up on a strange planet reading a novel about a guy that wakes up on a strange planet. Oh wait.... Right this is a strange planet. And this is a beginning of a series of me hero, you Jane. Sword and planet books I love to read.
Let the game begin!
Charles
Jul 26, 2008 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is the first in the series, though not the first one I read. I actually think some of the later books were better than this one, but it gets a five because it introduces the whole series and the main character, Dray Prescot, an earthman who is transported to the world of Kregen.

David
Dec 27, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-2012
Awesome. Highly recommend. The world is unique and imagined. The story is grand in scope and the protagonist constantly is changing who he is and what situations he finds himself in. Incredible journey, was highly impressed.
Aaron Meyer
May 12, 2015 Aaron Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent sword and planet adventure. Very much influenced by Burroughs, but easily forgivable because the story is done well.
Lynn Hall
Dec 26, 2012 Lynn Hall rated it really liked it
Shelves: sword-and-planet
I knew straight from the first pages this was going to be a fun,exciting adventure on an exotic world-and l wasn`t wrong! ...more
Morwen
Sep 23, 2015 Morwen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, _read-2015
Ja, es ist pulp, es ist sexistisch und gewaltverherrlichend - aber es macht Spaß!
Lucas
Aug 05, 2011 Lucas rated it it was amazing
One of the best pieces of Sword & Planet fiction ever written, this quintet can truly stand shoulder to shoulder with the best of this Genre.
Lee Belbin
Nov 30, 2014 Lee Belbin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Remember those SciFi novels with semi-naked women and gladiator men on the cover - full of tripe inside - well this is one (of many)! Skip the Dray Prescott series! DNF
Exanimis
After reading the many reviews posted here and on Amazon.com I could not wait to begin reading this series. I was terribly disappointed with this first effort.

Mikael Svahnberg
Dec 08, 2014 Mikael Svahnberg rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dnf.
Peter
Yet another Burroughs clone - better than the Gor books
Cheryl
Jan 12, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love this book, but it was fairly fun to read and exciting in places.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Sunborn (Chaos Chronicles, #4)
  • The House of the Kzinti (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • The Ring of Charon (The Hunted Earth, #1)
  • Planets of Adventure
  • Warlock
  • Ragamuffin (Xenowealth, #2)
  • Contact with Chaos (Freehold: Grainne War, #3, Freehold, #4)
  • Under the Green Star (Green Star, #1)
  • Lady of Mazes
  • Second Genesis
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • Warlord (The General, #1-2)
  • The Trikon Deception
  • The Hub: Dangerous Territory (The Hub)
  • The Wizard of Venus (Venus, #5)
  • Star Corps (The Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • Revenge of the Horseclans (Horseclans, #3)

Dray Prescot (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • The Suns of Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #2) (Delian Cycle, #2)
  • Warrior of Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #3) (Delian Cycle, #3)
  • Swordships of Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #4) (Delian Cycle, #4)
  • Prince of Scorpio (Delian Cycle, #5; Dray Prescot, #5)
  • Manhounds of Antares (Havilfar Cycle, #1; Dray Prescot, #6)
  • Arena of Antares (Dray Prescot, #7) (Havilfar Cycle, #2)
  • Fliers of Antares (Dray Prescot, #8) (Havilfar Cycle, #3)
  • Bladesman of Antares (Havilfar Cycle, #4) (Dray Prescot, #9)
  • Avenger of Antares (Dray Prescot, #10) (Havilfar Cycle, #5)
  • Armada of Antares