Start by marking “Wife: Bought and Paid for” as Want to Read:
Wife: Bought and Paid for

Wife: Bought and Paid for

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Penny is stuck: her ex-boyfriend Solo Maffeiano owns half her family home, yet she needs to pay off a barrage of debts left by her late father. She has no choice but to agree to Solo's offer: he will pay the debts and restore the dilapidated mansion where they will live - if Penny becomes his wife! She will be his wife, bought and paid for - and he wants a wife in every se ...more
Published December 1st 2002 by Harlequin Books (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wife

Bond of Hatred by Lynne GrahamThe Trophy Husband by Lynne GrahamMarried to a Mistress by Lynne GrahamBreaking Point by Emma DarcyTemptation by Charlotte Lamb
Addicted to Harlequins
24th out of 264 books — 91 voters
The Spanish Groom by Lynne GrahamBond of Hatred by Lynne GrahamGold Ring of Betrayal by Michelle ReidThe Trophy Husband by Lynne GrahamTempestuous Reunion by Lynne Graham
My Fave Harlequins
58th out of 514 books — 132 voters

More lists with this book...

seton
This is a typical Baird - much older (by 16 yrs) sexy lecher preys on falls in love with the just-barely-over-jailbait heroine. Unfortunately, she falls thru his grasp and he has to wait 4 yrs before he gets her at the advanced age of 22, all "bought and paid for". Yes, I know the title is redundant.

Despite what some may imply, I did NOT read this bk because of the title. Nope, I read this because the hero has the most awesomest hero name I've ever come across after (the aptly named thick as a)
Tishke
This is a fast, nice read but it wasn't a memorable read for me. Actually I was reading page 23 when I remembered I have read this story before but even then I couldn't remember anything specific about it so I re-read it.

The relationship was full of misunderstanding. She was young and naive when they first met and in my opinion remained very young mentally and naive when they married four years later. That could be due to the fact that she was either studying at Oxford or taking care of her new
Leona
This is one of those quick fun reads....The hero is very typical of JB heroes...dashing, good looking, a bit ruthless, but head over heels for the heroine. The only one that doesn't seem to know how the hero feels, is the heroine. So we get to watch them dance around each other as they passionately try to figure out each other's feelings.

My only negative on this book is related to the age issues. Typically, I don't mind that heroes can be almost twice the age of the heroines. After all, "Love"
Roub
awesome read ! jacqueline baird writes the hottest heroes, bewitching, intriguing n so much in love wid the heroine. solo was doomed the minute he saw a picture of penelope havenshaw in a magazine! just imagine, he fell in lust wid a kid lol. he was mad 4 her! dat one sentence summarises the entire book.dat was what the book was all abt. how he worked hard n was even devious 2 obtain what he wants. this was one hot read ! these 2 set the sheets on fire!wid penny's stunning blond beauty, perfect ...more
Jenny
Good story, strong heroine and one very sexy but vulnerable alpha hero. Lots of misunderstandings but a lovely ending to a well written book. Couldn't put this down! (So glad his "mistress" was actually his sister)
RomReader
Young virgin heroine is quickly attracted to wealthy & attractive Italian Hero who was drawn to her upon seeing a picture of her in a magazine & sees her as his perfect wife. When she overhears his motives for marrying her, she's hurt & decides to reject him by letting him think she has another BF. Four years later, she feels pressured to marry him as way of keeping her family estate, when she finds out Hero half owns it & realizes she still loves him but can't let him know for f ...more
Shen
A good old fashioned bodice ripper!! Lol
Solo, the alpha male hero is all pumped up on ultra testosterone. Me man, you woman!

Poor heroine Penny only wanted to save her family home and take care of her baby brother after her father and stepmother died in a railway accident. Only to learn that Solo owns half of her house. Now to save herself from bankruptcy, she is forced to marry him and his over abundance of testosterone.

It's an old book but so much fun to read. Today's authors may want to cons
Booked
Solo Maffeiano owns half of Penny's family home, yet she needs to pay off debts left by her late father. She has no choice but to agree to Solo's offer: he will pay the debts, restore the dilapidated mansion, where they will live -- if Penny becomes his wife!

She will be his wife, bought and paid for -- and he wants a wife in every sense of the word. Penny knows she's still in love with Solo -- but isn't their marriage just a sham?
Stacie Cregg
I feel like the lead male character spent nine-tenths of the book bullying and mistreating the heroine. The characters were unlikable; Solo is cruel, coercive, manipulative, and intimidating. Penny is naive, foolish, and weak-minded. I know this is just a Harlequin novel and it's not meant to be taken so seriously, but what's the point if I don't even like the characters, let alone root for them as a couple?
Mlleelizabeth
This is a book.

For a full review, please go to:

GoodReads's policies no longer comply with my review policy. Therefore my reviews will be posted at BookLikes going forward. Thank you for following my reviews here. I hope to continue discussing books with you on BookLikes.
April Brookshire
The hero's nickname was Solo and the song Ridin' Solo by Jason Derulo kept playing in my head while reading this. Except it had a different meaning.

This was interesting, the hero was a bit of a sociopath in his previously unfeeling ways.

Good, but could've been better.
Cristina
El argumento te hace creer que el que mueve Marco es la venganza, pero no lo es y tu lo descubres muy pronto. Así, te pones de parte de Marco y como también sabes todo de Penny, la lectura resulta en algo más romántico que lo corriente en los libros con esa clase de historias.
sbf20112011
Maybe 3.5 stars. This started out pretty well, but it just wasn't grabbing me by the middle/end of it. It was decent, but I just wasn't that emotionally invested.
Darthvader
their age difference is a bit creepy i suppose but personally,i loved solo & penny.
Melanie♥
seton,
Your review made me read this one and I am glad I did. thanks!
Dina Hicks machado
Dina Hicks machado marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Hina
Hina marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
  • Breaking Point
  • Royally Bedded, Regally Wedded
  • Wife in the Shadows
  • Untouched Until Marriage
  • Caretti's Forced Bride (Wedlocked!) (Harlequin Presents, #2752)
  • The Trophy Husband
  • Lost in Love
  • The Sicilian's Christmas Bride
  • The Greek's Christmas Baby (Kouros Brothers Duo, #2; Greek Tycoons, #3)
  • Taken Over (Harlequin Presents)
  • Pure Princess, Bartered Bride
  • Strangers in the Desert (The Al Dhakir Brothers #1)
  • The Sheikh's Impatient Virgin
Jacqueline Baird was born on the 1st of April at home in a small village Northumbria, England, UK, where she raised. She went to the local village school, and later an all-girls' grammar school where she passed the University of Oxford General Certificate of Education in various subjects. On leaving school she joined the civil service in the then Post Office department.

She met her husband Jim, whe
More about Jacqueline Baird...
The Sabbides Secret Baby Untamed Italian, Blackmailed Innocent Shattered Trust Aristides' Convenient Wife  (A Mediterranean Marriage #9) The Greek Tycoon's Love-Child