Start by marking “Secrets to Winning at Office Politics: How to Achieve Your Goals and Increase Your Influence at Work” as Want to Read:

Get Ahead, Gain Influence, Get What You Want

Office politics are an unavoidable fact of life in every workplace. To accomplish your personal and business goals, you must learn to successfully play the political game in your organization. Whether you are a new player or a seasoned veteran, Secrets to Winning at Office Politics can help you increase your personal power withou
Published July 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Secrets to Winning at Office Politics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets to Winning at Office Politics

Jacob O'connor
Jan 18, 2014 Jacob O'connor rated it it was amazing
Many role playing games will start you off by letting you decide what kind of player you will be. For instance, you could be a strong barbarian, a wise wizard, or a fleet- footed archer. You're given a certain amount of attribute points, and you put them in the category for the type of character you want.

With all these books I'm reading, I've been trying to build up my interpersonal and political attributes.

If you've ever been undermined in the office, you must read this book.

If you've ever been
Corrie Engelbrecht
Jun 11, 2015 Corrie Engelbrecht rated it it was amazing
Terrible title, but everything in this book is true. it's more about software skills than anything else, and I've recommended it to all of my team members.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Mar 17, 2013 Jeann (Happy Indulgence) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
If the world of office politics has ever confused or befuddled you, then this is the book that will put everything on the table. Wish we all got handed a copy of this as a graduation present so we'd be readily equipped for the office environment. I found it containing logical explanations and practical advice and hopefully will be better equipped in the future. Everyone can benefit from this, whether you use it in your personal or professional life.

My blog is at: http://happyindulgence.wordpres
Magdalene Lim
Jun 07, 2016 Magdalene Lim rated it liked it
Alongside Twilight and 50 Shades of Gray, this is not one book that you want to be seen reading. Especially in the office. HAHA. Because as McIntyre says, "Playing politics is like having sex. Almost everybody does it, but nobody is comfortable discussing exactly what they do."

However, while the title is very catchy, the book doesn't teach one to be catty, play a political game at the office or how to win at the reality TV show, "Survivor". Rather, the title "How to be a Better Employee" would b
Prateek Gupta
Jul 23, 2015 Prateek Gupta rated it it was amazing
Everyone working should read this. The title may be inapt but majority of the things you can find in your office environment
Simon Ng
May 13, 2014 Simon Ng rated it really liked it
Soyeongun
Jun 13, 2016 Soyeongun rated it did not like it
This book, seems to me is more focused on "What..." while the title starts with "How...". I was not able to find what I needed.
Mary
Jan 14, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
I can't say I read this one from cover to cover, but I found it really useful for framing some of my thoughts around office politics. It really is all about power and leverage, in most work places, anyway. This book helped me to think about some of my more challenging coworkers in a new light, and for that I give it four stars!
P.J. LaRue
I thought this book was very generic. And for someone with a PhD, you'd think the author would find a better name for a group of people she called Dimwits. The last two chapters were the most helpful. I wouldn't have stuck it out through the whole book if it weren't assigned as part of a class project.
Jul 13, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: work

This book is well written and easy to understand. It has some great advice. Be ready to assess yourself. Be ready to realize you might need to make some personal changes. I will keep this book as a reference. I will probably reread it to refresh myself.
Cody Sexton
Jul 28, 2014 Cody Sexton rated it really liked it
This is one of the better, and certainly the most practical, books I've read when it comes to describing the game and the players involved. A must read for everyone.
Candice
May 02, 2012 Candice rated it liked it
Useful, but not groundbreaking. Maybe I have read too many books on this subject.
Mary Anne
Jun 27, 2009 Mary Anne rated it really liked it
One of the best business books I've read in a long time.
Teresa
Dec 03, 2009 Teresa rated it liked it
haha...
Sora Zhang
Sora Zhang is currently reading it
Sep 30, 2016
Mourad Fahim
Mourad Fahim is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Lolwat
Lolwat rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Keely
Keely is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2016
Dragon
Dragon marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
DrDileep Singh
DrDileep Singh marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Habenom
Habenom marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Jen
Jen added it
Sep 08, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Peggy
Peggy is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2016
Grzegorz Kosciolek
Grzegorz Kosciolek is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2016
  • Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead
  • 21 Dirty Tricks at Work: How to Win at Office Politics
  • Locavesting: The Revolution in Local Investing and How to Profit from It
  • The Secret Handshake: Mastering the Politics of the Business Inner Circle
  • Suddenly in Charge: Managing Up, Managing Down, Succeeding All Around
  • HBR Guide to Managing Up and Across (HBR Guide Series)
  • Corporate Confidential: 50 Secrets Your Company Doesn't Want You to Know---and What to Do About Them
  • Etiquette: In Society, in Business, in Politics and at Home
  • Betty Crocker Christmas Cookbook
  • Dan Carter - My Story
  • Jennie: The Life of Lady Randolph Churchill, Vol 1: The Romantic Years 1854-95
  • Developing Management Skills
  • Fodor's New York City 2012
  • The Open Side
  • The Hard Truth About Soft Skills: Workplace Lessons Smart People Wish They'd Learned Sooner
  • Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of RESPECT
  • A House Somewhere: Tales of Life Abroad (Lonely Planet Journeys)
  • It's the Way You Say It: Becoming Articulate, Well-Spoken, and Clear

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“Typically, we use the term “playing politics” only to describe our colleagues’ behavior—never our own. They are sucking up, scheming, and manipulating, but we are building relationships, developing strategies, and opening communication channels.” 1 likes
“Many people feel that playing the political game involves devious plotting or blatant self-promotion. But in reality, “politics” is what naturally happens whenever people with different goals, interests, and personalities try to work together.” 1 likes