Start by marking “Jim and the Beanstalk” as Want to Read:
Jim and the Beanstalk

Jim and the Beanstalk

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Jim woke up early one morning to find a plant that was very like a beanstalk growing outside his window. Climbing to the top of the beanstalk, he found a castle and a giant, but with very modern problems that only Jim could help solve. Raymond Briggs brings a new generation to an old tale with humor and imagination.
Published May 18th 1989 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Jim and the Beanstalk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jim and the Beanstalk

midnightfaerie
Somewhere between a level 1 and a level 2 reading book, this book is a fun spin-off of Jack and the Beanstalk. Enjoyed by all my children, this original story had all of guessing what the ending would be. The illustrations were a little unusual, flipping back and forth between colored pages and black and white, but detailed enough to make my 3 yr old twins fascinated with the story line. A nice story that we'll probably read again sometime.
Rachel
Jim and the Beanstalk is a great sequel to the classic fairy-tale Jack and the Beanstalk. Raymond Briggs creates beautiful illustrations and uses complimentary black/white and colour drawings to bring this book to life.

The tale starts with an identical storyline to Jack and the Beanstalk. Jim awakes to find an enormous beanstalk sprouting from outside his window. He climbs up into the clouds to find the Giants castle. After a quick bite to eat and chat with the giant, Jim finds out that the gian
Monica
"The Giant shared his breakfast of beef and beer with Jim."

Even after the boy has remedied the Giant's loss of eyesight, teeth, and hair, the Giant gruffly warns, "You better go now before I feel like fried boy again." Followed up with a shout, "Chop that beanstalk down or I might come down and crunch you up with my new teeth."
Erin O'connor
This is a wonderful book for introducing young children to the concept of measurement. Following on from the familiar and well known story of Jack and the Beanstalk, Jim and the Beanstalk is the tale of a boy who climbs up the beanstalk a few years later and finds the giant sad because he can't see and he has no teeth left. jim measures the giants head and gets a giant pair of spectacles made for him. I had an interesting discussion with a group of children about the different meanings of the wo ...more
Lily
This book is a genius modern twist on a childhood favourite. When Jim climbs his beanstalk he finds a giant, but rather than following in Jack's footsteps and stealing from the giant, Jim attempts to help with problems such as getting a large pair of glasses! the children in my reception class read this as an alternative to the classic story while studying Jack and the beanstalk as part of a 'growing' topic, and they found the interactions between Jim and the giant fascinating, instigating a dis ...more
Bilsen Ibrahim
A variation of the classic tale ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’. One morning Jim wakes up to a gigantic plant he finds growing in his garden. Just like Jack, Jim decides to climb the plant and finds himself outside an old and scruffy looking giant’s house. Jim enters knowing he is safe with a toothless giant who kindly shares his breakfast with him. As Jim chomps his way through the beef steak the giant tells him of his encounter with Jack and how old age has changed him – both physically and mentally. ...more
Leigh-ann Walker
Sep 30, 2013 Leigh-ann Walker rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children, KS2
Following his predecessor to the top of the beanstalk, Jim befriends an ageing, shortsighted, toothless, bald giant. Jim undertakes the challenging task of addressing the giant’s problems, which can be fixed in a modern world with the right amount of gold. Jim ensures the giant receives new glasses, new teeth and a wonderfully curly, red wig. You would hope that Jim would be duly rewarded for his kindness, but the giant, feeling like new again, remembers his favourite ‘fried-boy sandwich’. Uh oh ...more
Cat
May 08, 2014 Cat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: k-12
Adorable book and perfect for finishing up our unit on Jack and the Beanstalk. Easily defined characters, setting, plot/action with cute pictures to boot! The kids weren't happy the pages are so small or that the pictures weren't "colorful enough" but that's what happens when you're trying to read to 23 kindergarteners.

Enough ties to the regular beanstalk stories but the differences are funny and, again, easily recognized.
Ashley Enlow
This story is packed full of educational connections! So many different lessons could be used. For example, there is measuring, money, and health to name a few! A boy wakes up to a beanstalk! Climbs up and helps the giant get all of the things he needs by measuring and taking care of him.
Ashley
Did not really enjoy this story about Jim, who revisits the giant from Jack and the Beanstalk. He ends up helping him get new teeth, a wig, and glasses, and is given gold in return.
Caitlin
This is a great book to follow up the original story of Jack and the Beanstalk. This story is about a boy named Jim who wakes up to see the beanstalk outside his window. He climbs to the top to find our familiar giant but he his not the same as we originially remember. He has grown old and is missing a tooth. Instead of eating the boy, the boy helps out the giant by getting him things that he needs such as glasses and a wig. The illustrations are very hand drawn but they really add alot of humor ...more
Kim
Did not care for the illustrations. What exactly was going on with his mom every time he showed her a gold coin? Disturbing.
Kathryn Sublett
Use this book as an introduction to measurement for third grade students. After the read aloud, express the importance of having an exact measurement in real world situations. Tell students they will be using millimeters for today's activity, ask if any students know what they are. Get students to pair up, explain that they will take turns acting as a celebrity and tailor/jeweler. The celebrity will state their wants for an accessory while the tailor/jeweler takes the measurements. Students will ...more
Alison
This was a fun read for me. I love how it is derived from Jack and the Beanstalk. The vocabulary used in this book is different from other children's book by the articles described. I would love to read this to my children to further their word knowledge like wig, false teeth, and beanstalk.
Jonathan
Fun retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk, accompanied by great Briggs illustrations.
Sarah Ziskend
Good for:
- measurement
- prediction

Lesson plan: give students measurements for a giant. Have them use this to create different things (toothbrush, coat, plate, spoon, ect..)

As a teacher of mathematics,I would use this book during my class wide study of measurement. Because this book is more abstract, i would not use it as part of an introductory lesson, yet rather an extension of the measurement lesson. After I read aloud the book, i could have different students create different objects off of
Brianna
Grade Level(s): 1-3
* Discusses measurement
* Teaches students length, height, centimeters, and millimeters
* Students can measure parts of the giant's body using centimeters or millimeters and determining what tools they would use.
* Have students measure different objects in the book and discuss whether or not these objects would be the same size if they were real.
Anastasia
The standard Jack and the Beanstalk story is a simple tale of Jack outwitting the Giant: in this story "Jim" instead meets the Giant and helps him out with the ravages of old age that have taken his sight, teeth, and hair from him. There's no theft or trickery, and the story is altogether sweeter than the original tale of bonecrunching and larceny.
Joy
childrens picture book 1970 Carl loved this, checked it out over and over. He asked me about it not longago. Olathe ordered it from JCounty. Think I will share this with a few senior friends...the new teeth! Wig! and Glasses! then watch out here he comes. Loved the illustrations then..and now.
Shannan
Nov 14, 2010 Shannan added it
Shelves: picture-books
I was suprised by the year of publication. This book was published in 1970 but will be loved for ages. I kept on thinking that there was going to be some doom placed on Jim but as in all fairy tales he ends up happily ever after. The pattern in the book is fun and inventive.
Cheryl Kays
This is a sequel to Jack and the Beanstalk. This is silly but engaging book that contains some repetition to boost new readers confidence. I think this would be a good book to practice inferring and predicting since many students have already heard Jack and the Beanstalk.
Loraine
This retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk has a different twist. Jim helps the giant solve some of his problems instead of taking some of his things. Great books with lots of possibilities for discussion on kindness, temptation, good choices.
Shannon
Jim lives in an apartment building and one day there is a big plant outside his window, so he climbs it and meets a giant. Every other page is in color, the rest in black and white. I enjoy reading the grumbling giant's dialog.
Ashley
This is a book related to Jack and the Beanstalk but it is about Jim. This boy travels up and visits the giant and helps him out by getting him glasses, false teeth, and a wig. Could be used to compare to Jack and the Beanstalk.
Linda
Aug 31, 2008 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Linda by: Raymond Briggs
Jim wakes up one morning to find a plant growing up past his window. He climbs the plant and discovers an aging, toothless, bald giant. Jim helps the giant with his "issues." Fun for children of all ages.
Olivia Jackson
This would be a wonderful book to teach the importance of measurement, money, and problem solving. It is a cute sequal to the book Jack and the Beanstalk, and is one i will certainly use in my classroom.
Amanda
This book continues on with the original story of Jack and the Beanstalk. When Jim meets the giant, he realizes that life isn't so easy for this him. He helps the giant solve some of his problems.
Whitney Zollman
It was a good suspenseful book for young children. I like how the boy helps the giant even though he know from the beginning the giant like to eat small boys. I also love the ending!
Linda Costello
Measurement? Jim (instead of Jack) climbs the beanstalk and helps measure the giant to get him glasses, false teeth, and a wig. I was not a huge fan of this book.
Alexis Levine
Jim climbs up the beanstalk and helps measure the giant. This book would be fun to read when kids are learning about measurement in grades k-2
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole
  • My No No No Day
  • Alphabet Mystery
  • Snoring Beauty
Raymond Redvers Briggs is an English illustrator, cartoonist, graphic novelist, and author who has achieved critical and popular success among adults and children. He is best known for his story "The Snowman", which is shown every Christmas on British television in cartoon form and on the stage as a musical.

His first three major works, Father Christmas, Father Christmas Goes on Holiday (both featu
More about Raymond Briggs...
The Snowman Father Christmas Fungus the Bogeyman When the Wind Blows Ethel and Ernest