Start by marking “The Fisherman and His Wife (Rabbit Ears)” as Want to Read:
The Fisherman and His Wife (Rabbit Ears)

The Fisherman and His Wife (Rabbit Ears)

The fisherman's greedy wife is never satisfied with the wishes granted her by an enchanted fish.
Published April 1st 1990 by Rabbit Ears (first published 1812)

To ask other readers questions about The Fisherman and His Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fisherman and His Wife

Matt
“Flounder, Flounder in the sea,
Come, I pray thee, here to me;
For my wife, Dame Ilsabil,
Wills not as I’d have her will.”

The Flounder came swimming to me and said, “Well, what does she want, then?”

“Who?” I said.

“Your wife. You just said your wife Ilsabil has another of her crazy wishes.”

“I’m sorry Flounder, I’m not married. I had to lure you to this review somehow.”

“I see. Well, what do you want from me?”

“I discovered your tale today on Goodreads. It’s a bi-lingual edition. English and German.”
Ahmed  Ejaz
Full life time stars...

Author was trying to tell us that:
Man's wishes are endless. He can't be contented. He always wishes for more and more. BUT we should be satisfied by the things we have, otherwise we will lose all the things we already have.

Story was great, straight forward and loved it a lot..
Go and read it ^_^
Ronyell
Fisherman

Illustrated by Diana Bryan

Most of the Rabbit Ears Series that I have seen were mostly aimed at children and would not contain material objectionable to younger children. However, The Fisherman and his Wife was the first story from Rabbit Ears that I have watched that actually kept me at the edge of my seat. The illustrations, the music, and the overall mood of the story are somewhat intense and gloomy at the same time, which has become one of my most watched Rabbit Ears story other than The Fo
Greta is Erikasbuddy
This was a pretty neat story.

A dude goes out fishing cuz that's how he feeds his fam and makes his cash and catches a flounder who can talk and says he's a prince transformed. At least I think it was a prince. He could have been a king. But either way the fish could talk and said "Don't eat me bra!" and the dude was like "I'm not going to eat a talking fish!" and let the fish go.

Dude goes home to his wife who was like "So what did you wish for?"
And dude was like "Wait... what?"
And she's like "Yo
Lör K.
Rating

I’m giving The Fisherman and His Wife is a solider five out of five stars for me.

Genre

The Fisherman and His Wife is a classic children’s faerie tale from the talented pens of the Brothers Grimm.

About the Book

This is a wonderful story about a magical fish, and the consequences of greed.

Why did I choose this book to read?

I have an app on my phone with all the Brothers Grimm stories on it. Coming along this app made me remember how much I had wanted to read the Brothers Grimm stories and to f
Dolly
Sep 29, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Our youngest brought this book home from her second grade class to practice her reading. While it is an interesting tale, I encouraged her to seek out any chapter books that might challenge her a bit more.

The narrative by Pauline Cartwright is short, perfect for beginning readers and the repetition helps to foster reading ability, comprehension, and confidence. The illustrations by Marie Low are colorful and complement the story nicely.

Overall, this is an interesting retelling of the classic st
Hala Alzaghal
Jan 27, 2017 Hala Alzaghal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"wake up! go to the Flounder, for I wish to be even as God is"
You know it is a good one when it makes you cry. Best one of them all, yet.
Erica
May 09, 2008 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juv, audio-books

The Fisherman and His Wife is the story a simple fisherman and his greedy wife. It features a prince, who was transformed into a fish and can grant wishes. The story is performed by Jodie Foster and is a pleasure to listen to. The music beautifully accompanies the story, invoking the magic of the tale.
Aug 25, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I wasn't that big of a fan of this however at the end I genuinely laughed at the end of the story.
cEe beE
Aug 21, 2013 cEe beE rated it it was amazing
Enchanting art and excellent narration by Jodie Foster.
WrensReads
I have the complete set of the Grimm Fairy-Tales, and there are so many that I haven’t read! They are very short, as one would know, so I have decided to read each one and give them a review. Some are very vulgar, some are very cute and some don’t even make sense. Some of them are well known fairy-tales and some have never been told. Some are fairy-tales we know but are not the same because they have been downplayed for the children.

This is a story that has a moral to it for children to read.

Th
Sophie Cox
Dione Basseri
My but does this go on. A man catches a magic fish, and his wife urges him to use the wishes to improve their life. But she goes from wanting a better house to becoming nobility, finally ending on wanting to rule over the sun and moon themselves.

And then the fish has had enough. Moral, of course, being to not be greedy.

It's not all that interesting a story, however. The fisherman returns far too many times to the fish for wishes. It makes the story drag on and on. I'd say, overall, this is a sk
Famma
It's such a cute brilliant story and should be read by all. A fisherman and his greedy wife used to live near pigsty. One day he got the fish which started talking and was a prince in the shape of fish. He asked the fisherman to live him which he did and told his wife all about that. His wife was greedy asked him to ask the fish in return of letting him go. And there goes endless greedy asking which eventually turn them rich, king, emperor and then pope. At the end, they returned to be what they ...more
Ashley Lahr
This story is about a fisherman and his wife. One day he catches a flounder that could talke and told him he isn't really a flounder but a prince so he begged of him to let him go. The man did and went home. He told his wife this and she was mad that he had not made a wish. So the wife made him keep going back to grant her wishes. She slowly works her way up the chain of command, king, pope, emperor, etc. Finally she basically wished to be God. As she wished for this she ended up back where she ...more
Brennan Wieland
Jan 17, 2011 Brennan Wieland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great story with plenty of imagery and drama. The fisherman saves a fish, which is actually an enchanted prince, and is told by his wife to make a wish that they would be able to own a house. After they are given a house, the wife wants more and more until she has everything she ever wanted. Then one day she tells her husband to make a wish that she would be god. When the husband tells the fish, the fish returns them back to where they began living, which was in a pigsty. This story h ...more
Ana Monnar
Jul 07, 2010 Ana Monnar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story with a good moral to be learned by greedy people. This fisherman is a humble and nice man that saves a magical fish. However, he is married to a greedy, pushy wife. He was a whimp when it came to her demands. The magic fish kept granting her demands each time the fisherman asked. Until one day when the fish had enough and told the fisherman to go back home where the greedy wife ended up with what she started with. There are many retellings of this story in which some are better t ...more
Brittany Cullen
This tale was funny in a way but also has a great life lesson. it is about a man who catches a magic fish and his wife tells him to go back and wish for a cottage, then a castle, then to be king, and to be emperor, till one day the fish jumps up and eats the man and his wife. It is a great story on not to take for granted certain things and not to wish for too much especially when you have plenty and others may have nothing.
Alberto Ceballos
What a wonderful story! Perfect in every sense to me. I really loved the writing style in this one.
The story's plot is awesome and very educational for the human kind. I suggest you read this loud to your children, recommend it to your loved ones and read it yourself if you haven't done so already.

This is a story of greed and power, narcissism all the way throughout it; a faithful husband and a charming flounder!
Brenda
Dec 05, 2013 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book needs to be read by both kids and adults, even today, this is a perfect example of not appreciating what you have and never being satisfied, no matter what. This book is about greed, idolization, you name it.
Ale
Apr 08, 2016 Ale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
El esposo es un aperreado por no saber decirle que no a su esposa, y cumplir todos sus caprichos.
Y la esposa es una ambiciosa egoísta que no le bastaba tener un poco más, ella quería más, mucho más.

Rachel Otting
A fisherman and his wife lived by the sea in a run down shack. The fisherman caught and enchanted fish. The fish said put me back and I will grant your wish. The fisherman's wife kept on wishing and wishing and wishing for more and more things.
kewan alghofaily
a fisherman's wife whom her greed led her to ask for what's better each time. she was not getting satisfies and lives happily with what she have!
Alex
This is a story of a fisherman who catches a flounder who can grant wishes and his wife wants only power. Eventually she wishes to be just like the Lord God which she gets.
Michelle
J P 398.2 RIC-[FOL]
Cws
J398.2Gri
Abbey Smith
My students really enjoy this fable. It has many great morals and lessons that they can quickly and easily identify.
Vaishali
Wow. No words for this one...
Michael Fitzgerald
Zemach's earlier version The Fisherman and His Wife is better.
Brandy Gilbertson
Feb 10, 2013 Brandy Gilbertson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore
Updated version of an old tale that shows children they should value what they have.

*Book from text
  • I Can Do Anything That's Everything All On My Own
  • Encyclopedia Mythologica: Gods and Heroes Pop-Up
  • A Treasury of Fairy Tales
  • Deep in the Swamp
  • First-Class Friends (Unicorn School, #1)
  • Thomas and Percy and the Dragon (Thomas & Friends: Step into Reading)
  • The Handmade Alphabet
  • Kanga and Baby Roo Come to the Forest
  • While Mama Had a Quick Little Chat
  • Where Have the Unicorns Gone?
In a decidedly eclectic career, Eric Metaxas has written for VeggieTales, Chuck Colson, Rabbit Ears Productions and the New York Times, four things not ordinarily in the same sentence. He is a best-selling author whose biographies, children’s books, and works of popular apologetics have been translated into Albanian, Portuguese, Spanish, Korean, and Macedonian.
More about Eric Metaxas...