Start by marking “The Fisherman and His Wife” as Want to Read:
The Fisherman and His Wife

The Fisherman and His Wife

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  27 reviews
The fisherman's greedy wife is never satisfied with the wishes granted her by an enchanted fish.
Published April 1st 1990 by Rabbit Ears (first published 1812)

To ask other readers questions about The Fisherman and His Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fisherman and His Wife

Illustrated by Diana Bryan

Most of the Rabbit Ears Series that I have seen were mostly aimed at children and would not contain material objectionable to younger children. However, The Fisherman and his Wife was the first story from Rabbit Ears that I have watched that actually kept me at the edge of my seat. The illustrations, the music, and the overall mood of the story are somewhat intense and gloomy at the same time, which has become one of my most watched Rabbit Ears story other than The Fo
Greta is Erikasbuddy
This was a pretty neat story.

A dude goes out fishing cuz that's how he feeds his fam and makes his cash and catches a flounder who can talk and says he's a prince transformed. At least I think it was a prince. He could have been a king. But either way the fish could talk and said "Don't eat me bra!" and the dude was like "I'm not going to eat a talking fish!" and let the fish go.

Dude goes home to his wife who was like "So what did you wish for?"
And dude was like "Wait... what?"
And she's like "Yo
Apr 10, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Our youngest brought this book home from her second grade class to practice her reading. While it is an interesting tale, I encouraged her to seek out any chapter books that might challenge her a bit more.

The narrative by Pauline Cartwright is short, perfect for beginning readers and the repetition helps to foster reading ability, comprehension, and confidence. The illustrations by Marie Low are colorful and complement the story nicely.

Overall, this is an interesting retelling of the classic st
Wren Hardwick
I have the complete set of the Grimm Fairy-Tales, and there are so many that I haven’t read! They are very short, as one would know, so I have decided to read each one and give them a review. Some are very vulgar, some are very cute and some don’t even make sense. Some of them are well known fairy-tales and some have never been told. Some are fairy-tales we know but are not the same because they have been downplayed for the children.

This is a story that has a moral to it for children to read.

The Fisherman and His Wife is the story a simple fisherman and his greedy wife. It features a prince, who was transformed into a fish and can grant wishes. The story is performed by Jodie Foster and is a pleasure to listen to. The music beautifully accompanies the story, invoking the magic of the tale.
Sophie Cox
cEe beE
Enchanting art and excellent narration by Jodie Foster.
I have to say I wasn't that big of a fan of this however at the end I genuinely laughed at the end of the story.
I enjoyed this one. It is a cautionary tale on being content with what you have and not be carried away with greed and idolatry.
Brennan Wieland
This was a great story with plenty of imagery and drama. The fisherman saves a fish, which is actually an enchanted prince, and is told by his wife to make a wish that they would be able to own a house. After they are given a house, the wife wants more and more until she has everything she ever wanted. Then one day she tells her husband to make a wish that she would be god. When the husband tells the fish, the fish returns them back to where they began living, which was in a pigsty. This story h ...more
It's such a cute brilliant story and should be read by all. A fisherman and his greedy wife used to live near pigsty. One day he got the fish which started talking and was a prince in the shape of fish. He asked the fisherman to live him which he did and told his wife all about that. His wife was greedy asked him to ask the fish in return of letting him go. And there goes endless greedy asking which eventually turn them rich, king, emperor and then pope. At the end, they returned to be what they ...more
Lexy Alemao
The theme of this story is greed. I believe greed is one of the best themes for children to read because it teaches a great value right as it is becoming important, especially if a child had siblings or is entering a classroom setting. Though this isn't one of the most popular fairy tales written by the brothers Grimm, it is an important one nonetheless.
Ana Monnar
This is a story with a good moral to be learned by greedy people. This fisherman is a humble and nice man that saves a magical fish. However, he is married to a greedy, pushy wife. He was a whimp when it came to her demands. The magic fish kept granting her demands each time the fisherman asked. Until one day when the fish had enough and told the fisherman to go back home where the greedy wife ended up with what she started with. There are many retellings of this story in which some are better t ...more
Alberto Ceballos
What a wonderful story! Perfect in every sense to me. I really loved the writing style in this one.
The story's plot is awesome and very educational for the human kind. I suggest you read this loud to your children, recommend it to your loved ones and read it yourself if you haven't done so already.

This is a story of greed and power, narcissism all the way throughout it; a faithful husband and a charming flounder!
شيء غبي اقراها في هالسن :p
قريتها عشان بحث الرواية الحديثة في بريطانيا

القصة تتكلم عن ضرر الجشع, صياد صاد سمكة ذهبية, وانقذها بحيث رجعها للمكانها
حكى لزوجته وقالت له رح لها تكافئك
هالمكافأة ماخلصت لأن الزوجة مارضت واقتنعت بالأشياء الجميلة اللي تصير لها

This book needs to be read by both kids and adults, even today, this is a perfect example of not appreciating what you have and never being satisfied, no matter what. This book is about greed, idolization, you name it.
Brother Grimm's fairy-tale:
O man of the sea!
Come listen to me,
For Alice my wife,
The plague of my life,
Has sent me to beg a boon of thee!"

I've been looking for this version for years, having encountered it as a kid. Such a delight to read it again!
Abbey Smith
My students really enjoy this fable. It has many great morals and lessons that they can quickly and easily identify.
Brandy Gilbertson
Updated version of an old tale that shows children they should value what they have.

*Book from text
learning to value what you have, becareful of three wishes, they may not be what you want.
beautiful retelling of the traditional story
My favorite childhood story
J P 398.2 RIC-[FOL]
Kayla is currently reading it
Oct 02, 2015
Beth marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
  • Old Black Fly
  • Fractured Fables
  • Manners
  • La Belle et la Bête
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)

More about Jacob Grimm...
The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm: A New English Version The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm Grimm's Fairy Tales The Annotated Brothers Grimm (Annotated Books)