Start by marking “Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: A Biography” as Want to Read:
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: A Biography

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: A Biography

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This year marks the 250th anniversary of the birth of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, one of the most enduringly popular and celebrated composers to have ever lived. His substantial oeuvre contains works that are considered to be among the most exquisite pieces of symphonic, chamber, and choral music ever written. His operas too cast a long shadow over those staged in their wake. ...more
Published October 21st 2006 by University Of Chicago Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Adrienne
Although it wasn't boring, this biography is more about where Mozart traveled, for whom he played, and how much he made. Melograni spends more time talking about money than Mozart in an effort to dispel rumors about how bad he was with his money. Other than that, this is a decent biography.
Rebecca
Feb 11, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Mozart's 256th birthday was a few weeks ago, on January 27. When I was reminded of that on the news on the 27th, it occurred to me that despite my love of classical music and my interest in Mozart, I didn't actually know that much about him. I've seen the movie Amadeus, but it only shows one part of Mozart's life (his adulthood after marrying his wife) and I wasn't sure how accurate it was anyway. So I decided to read this biography, and to be honest, I chose this one out of all the various Moza ...more
Jane Wetzel
Feb 15, 2015 Jane Wetzel rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, biography
This is a marvelous book. The information came from historical facts and Family letters giving documented truth about A. Mozart's life and times, both of which surprised and amazed me. This book has inspired me to read and study more about this musical genius, his life and all of the music he has written. So much information; I loved it This is another book that I would love to purchase for my own personal library.
Pete D'angelo
Jan 29, 2012 Pete D'angelo rated it liked it
i found it sad that mozart's genius was never really appreciated in his lifetime. and his father was exploitative and pretty awful. tho the musical environment wolfgang grew up in probably had a significant effect on the great composer he would later become. and contrary to what i've heard, he did work very hard and it seems was not nearly as frivolous as he was portrayed in the movie amadeus. tho one anecdote i liked was when mid performance he got up, jumped over a table and began to meow like ...more
Othón León
Nov 14, 2012 Othón León rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
This is the second Wolfgang Amadé Mozart biography I have read and so far, the best!

Melograni succeeds at smootlhy taking the reader from June 1765 at a London tavern (The swan) where he interpreted at the early age of 9, to Mozart's death bed in 1791 at only 35 years of age.

If yoy saw the Milos Forman's movie "Amadeus" then you have the wrong (very wrong) picture of the life of this genious and playful character.

Chapter after chapter, his works are simply and accurately described, his family af
Phil
Nov 21, 2008 Phil rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, biography
I'm not much of a biography reader and this did little to change my opinion of the genre. However, the subject matter was engaging and I did learn a great deal about Mozart's early life that I didn't know before.
Greg Collver
Nov 05, 2009 Greg Collver rated it liked it
Very good biography. I did not agree with the author's view that Mozart's adversities in life may have contributed to the originality and greatness of his music.

Sara
Aug 10, 2007 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a great biography. It doesn't read like a typical history, and really humanizes the man from the icon to a man burdened with a great gift.
Scott
Jan 11, 2010 Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
An enjoyable biography on the life, travels, family relationships and musical works of perhaps the greatest composer ever.
Peter Williams
Easy and enjoyable read. Makes Mozart into a real person.
Angela Joyce
Feb 27, 2009 Angela Joyce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
A compassionate, fair, and highly readable biography.
Daan Overbekking
Daan Overbekking marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Ryan Sullivan
Ryan Sullivan marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Douglas J. Sizelove
Douglas J. Sizelove rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Marita
Marita marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Peikyen
Peikyen marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Ivan Mizzi
Ivan Mizzi marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Gcrankz
Gcrankz rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Puhnner
Puhnner rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Bernie White
Bernie White rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Ana Smoleanu
Ana Smoleanu marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Adriane Vant
Adriane Vant rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Eva Carroll
Eva Carroll marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Rheena
Rheena marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016